As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TF2]

• Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I used to double sticky jump on Well all the time, usually killed two or three people with each one, and sentry nests never stood a chance. That was with <40 health by the time I landed, 100 health is plenty when you can use any amount of launching stickies and can escape the same way. :/

Mars on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    you do know the sticky jumper's stickies don't do damage to other people right

you have 100 health and only a pipe launcher basically

edit: which i mean, you can do damage with, but there's a reason most people dont use it for actually serious battling

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    your health is 100 so

stiff breezes bro

You're also insanely mobile, it's like being an aerial scout.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    okay have fun piping people while sticky jumping around!!

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Okay, did some work on the map voting plugin.

First, you'll vote for just map groups, and it'll randomly pick a map from the group to be played next. Keeps people from voting for the same things all the time.

Second, enabled a option so that in case the server empties/fills past a certain point that the current map can't support, it'll start a vote immediately to change to a different map. So, say, the map changes to a A/D map and the population drops to 8, it'll be all "hey, how about a KOTH map instead?" and let you vote to change.

Or, say, if you're playing KOTH and the server fills up completely, it'll give you a chance to vote to move on to a bigger map.

Also tweaked the map groups a bit so that some maps don't show up until the server's more full.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I do.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Okay, did some work on the map voting plugin.

First, you'll vote for just map groups, and it'll randomly pick a map from the group to be played next. Keeps people from voting for the same things all the time.

Second, enabled a option so that in case the server empties/fills past a certain point that the current map can't support, it'll start a vote immediately to change to a different map. So, say, the map changes to a A/D map and the population drops to 8, it'll be all "hey, how about a KOTH map instead?" and let you vote to change.

Or, say, if you're playing KOTH and the server fills up completely, it'll give you a chance to vote to move on to a bigger map.

Also tweaked the map groups a bit so that some maps don't show up until the server's more full.

Thanks for putting all this work into your server, Mavers. It's a great help in getting PAers playing.

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    LokiamisLokiamis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lokiamis on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I finally, finally downloaded and installed the HoNC map packs.

I'll totally come shoot mans now that I don't have a excuse for not playing

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Spanish InquisitionSpanish Inquisition Suprise Posting SpainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pata wrote: »
    ebotastic wrote: »
    Teriferin wrote: »
    I play spy for the glorious ding of a successful backstab.

Also, I'm a terrible person and enjoy being an asshole with the Dead Ringer.

Go Saharan Spy with the DR. Everyone will hate you forever.

"Did I kill him did I kill him! Oh he's behind me and now I'm dead"

I was pissing off Gottabegaming so hard when he was trying that on me. "Ebo can turn around instantly!" :)

That's why you only do it occasionally. Let them gain a false sense of security.

I wasn't being sarcastic, ebo can literally turn around instantly, and he does it constantly through everything, no matter what's going on, because he can turn around again instantly.
    Combined with the fact he is the best heavy I have ever seen play AND I CAN'T STOP HIM WITH THE CLASS THAT IS SUPPOSED TO EAT SPUN UP HEAVIES FOR BREAKFAST... is frustrating.

TL;DR Always remember to set your sensitivity to highest as heavy and constantly turn around!
    <3

Spanish Inquisition on
    AKA: gottabegaming, gotta, gottabeajerk, and Mr. Wave's Point/Click Adventure.

NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION! Oh bugger.
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lokiamis wrote: »

Wow.

Also, when do you guys get on the servers? I keep missing you. In more ways than one. :(

Toldo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    7pm est, I'll add you to my invite spam list

Lokiamis on
  • Options
    3_eyed_weasel3_eyed_weasel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mars wrote: »
    I used to double sticky jump on Well all the time, usually killed two or three people with each one, and sentry nests never stood a chance. That was with <40 health by the time I landed, 100 health is plenty when you can use any amount of launching stickies and can escape the same way. :/
    You may be a ninja, but with the new disadvantages you can pretty much be one shotted by a pistol

3_eyed_weasel on
    samorostsig.jpg
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Leaving to start our drive to PAX right now. See some of you nerds soon.

E-bro the soonest.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    UEAKCrash wrote: »

E-bro the soonest.

I'm still preparing but PAX is already beginning for you. Damn. :)

This oughtta be fun, I get to show Crash and Co. around my neighborhood a bit. If you read this before you leave, Crash, don't forget you said you'd buy me a beer!

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

E-bro the soonest.

I'll see you there!

But you won't see me... *scary sound*

Pablo the Penguin on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

E-bro the soonest.

I'll see you there!

But you won't see me... *scary sound*

I swear I just heard a dead ringer, guys!

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    PENGUIN IS SPY!!

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    ebotastic wrote: »
    Teriferin wrote: »
    I play spy for the glorious ding of a successful backstab.

Also, I'm a terrible person and enjoy being an asshole with the Dead Ringer.

Go Saharan Spy with the DR. Everyone will hate you forever.

"Did I kill him did I kill him! Oh he's behind me and now I'm dead"

I was pissing off Gottabegaming so hard when he was trying that on me. "Ebo can turn around instantly!" :)

That's why you only do it occasionally. Let them gain a false sense of security.

I wasn't being sarcastic, ebo can literally turn around instantly, and he does it constantly through everything, no matter what's going on, because he can turn around again instantly.
    Combined with the fact he is the best heavy I have ever seen play AND I CAN'T STOP HIM WITH THE CLASS THAT IS SUPPOSED TO EAT SPUN UP HEAVIES FOR BREAKFAST... is frustrating.

TL;DR Always remember to set your sensitivity to highest as heavy and constantly turn around!
    <3

Gottabeflattered. :oops:

I don't have my sensitivity anywhere near all the way up. Though I do play on a SteelSeries Qck Mini so you know I don't have a lot of room to work with. (I'd rather have a hard-surfaced mousepad but I couldn't find any that would fit on my desk.) Moving my mouse about half an inch allows me to do a 180.

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Was that voice commands mod added in with the server? I'm hearing scout lines I haven't heard before.

Dys on
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Also, get in HoNC.

Dys on
  • Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dys wrote: »
    Was that voice commands mod added in with the server? I'm hearing scout lines I haven't heard before.

yes, we're using various unused sounds from various classes. For example, run around punching as the heavy, and you'll hear him yell n stuff.

Pablo the Penguin on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Indeed. It looks like it keeps on getting updated, too. Can't remember ATM which version I had uploaded, but it looks like it got updated in the last 24 hours, so it'd be a safe bet to upgrade.

Think I had uploaded 0.3.
    0.6 06.02.2011

* Updated Heavy's 'all of you are babies' etc response to only play if you are not using a melee weapon, so it doesn't mix with his melee dares. Use 'Battle Cry' voice command on anybody but a Heavy whilst holding a non-melee weapon to hear.

* Added base Sniper.txt for diff purposes

* Added a criterion to check if Sniper is unscoped
    * Added all Sniper payload responses to game_sounds_vo_handmade.txt
    * Added all Sniper payload responses for Sniper, different versions of the same lines depending if you are scoped or not.

* "Time to inform your next of kin" added back to getting >3 kills with Rocket Launcher, was removed by valve

* Toned down Heavy melee swing responses to 50PercentChance (was 75PercentChance)

* Added unused Domination and Revenge lines for Sniper to game_sounds_vo_handmade.txt
    * Added unused generic Domination lines for Sniper when scoped (whispers), 75% chance
    * Added unused Revenge lines for Sniper, against certain classes. Lowered generic revenge lines to 30% chance
    * Made the above uninterruptible
    * Added a line for when you get an SMG kill, 30% chance
    * - Removed a previously added but unused criterion from response_rules.txt
    * Made achievement responses uninterruptible for Heavy and Scout
    * Added a melee dare for Soldier

* Added 3 lines for when you throw Mad Milk as Scout

* Made regular domination lines uninterruptible for Sniper

* Fixed Engineer's auto assist response
    * Fixed Engineer's Teleporter thanks response so it actually works now
    * Added achievement responses for Sniper, cannot be interrupted by pain
    * Added melee dare responses for Sniper
    * Added manual and auto assist responses for Sniper

* Moved entries around in game_sounds_vo_handmade.txt and added unused special weapon lines to it
    * Added special weapon lines for Sniper, use 'Battle Cry' voice command when holding a non-stock weapon
    * Added ubercharge response lines for Sniper
    * Added lines for when Sniper is scoped in and looking at an enemy ("Steady, steady..." etc)
    * Modified the Soldier and Spy kill responses to be split between normal shots and headshots, whispers only play on headshots, updated the Spy normal kills lines to play regardless of weapon and added a line to the Soldier headshot one
    * Added whisper revenge unused lines, for getting a scoped revenge kill as Sniper
    * Added unused lines to standard revenge response group for Sniper
    * Added a line for getting a kill with the Tribalman's Shiv
    * Added a normal and headshot line for killing a Heavy
    * Huntsman can now play killing spree lines and any normal, unscoped and non-headshot rifle kill lines
    * Made normal unused domination lines uninterruptible for Sniper
    * Updated the Scout double jump response to have a 10% chance of firing only after having fired a weapon, to help ninja Scouts, updated tf.txt to make this work
    * Added a bunch of criterions to help distinguish between Scout melees
    * Split up bat kill lines so that only the Bat and Sandman play bat related lines on kill, Basher, Candy Cane, Sun-on-a-Stick and Mackerel now have their own kill lines. All Scout melees use a generic, non-bat related kill response group, though.

* Added vocal to Huntsman taunt (taunt04.vcd)
    * Added new vocal variant to Kukri taunt (taunt03_v4.vcd)
    * Updated tf.txt to allow this
    * Rebuild scenes.image to allow this

* Attached the unused PlayerTaunts responses to the positive voice menu option for Sniper

0.5 05.02.2011

* Added base Pyro.txt for diff purposes

* Added criterion IsNotDominating
    * Used above criterion to make domination and revenge lines uninterruptible by pain/fire for Demoman, Engineer, Heavy, Pyro, Medic, Scout and Soldier
    * Updated EngyCritsReady to check for a recent kill
    * Added unused Pyro lines (only 4 :( )
    * Recycled Pyro lines for invulnerable response and melee dares
    * Attached the unused PlayerTaunts responses to the positive voice menu option for Pyro
    * Added automatic and manual assist response for Pyro

0.4 04.02.2011

* Modified the invulnerability responses to be more appropriate for Demoman
    * Added melee dare lines for Demoman
    * Attached the unused PlayerTaunts responses to the positive voice menu option for Demoman
    * Added kill responses for Demoman against Soldier (intentionally does not play if kill was with a sword WeaponClassIsNotAxe, we'll assume he is sober when wielding a sword)
    * Added drunk line responses for when you swing your bottle after taking a drink from it (excluded the Frying Pan from this using a new WeaponIsNotFryingPan criterion)

* Attached the unused PlayerTaunts responses to the positive voice menu option for Medic, Scout and Soldier

* Added base Engineer.txt for diff purposes

* Added automatic and manual assist lines for Engineer
    * Added melee dare lines for Engineer
    * Added a response for when you are holding your Frontier Justice and your mini sentry is killed for Engineer
    * Added Gunslinger punch and combo lines for Engineer
    * Added invulnerable responses for Engineer
    * Added unused revenge line for Engineer
    * Gunslinger now builds, moves and re-deploys much quieter than before (plays PlayerTaunts)
    * Attached the unused PlayerTaunts responses to the positive voice menu option for Engineer
    * Added a few criterion in response_rules.txt to make all this happen
    * Added unused DefendOnThePoint line (well it's used, but inconsistently)

EDIT: Just got done uploading the latest version, server should be restarting now.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Honestly I love that mod more than most gameplay changes and weapons

Lokiamis on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Holy fucking shit, hell just froze over.

TF2 Beta update:
    --- March 09, 2011 ---

An Important Note:

Generally the beta is the place where we do design testing, so the game itself is fairly stable. But today we’re releasing a large update specifically for the purpose of stability testing. In particular, we’re testing out our new Replay system, which has been in the works for over a year. As a result, a large amount of code has changed. We wanted to ship it to the beta first, where we can get the bugs ironed out, before we move it out to the main TF2 branch. So please jump in and take a look – we’d love to hear feedback on the UI as well as any bugs you run into.

Also, we'll be wiping all items in the beta at some point in the near future. We will re-grant the achievement items, and any items we're actively tuning afterward.

Gameplay:
    Bots:
    Bots now work on Payload maps
    Added payload to Offline practice
    Spy bots!

Medic:
    The Quick-Fix:
    Megaheal (the uber) effect now also applies to the medic

Pyro:
    The Detonator:
    Detonation particle effect increased to better match the radius

Soldier:
    Reduced rage generation rate with Battalion’s Backup by 50%

Spy:
    Fixed a bug that prevented domination lines from being played with the Eternal Reward

Maps:
    Added koth_badlands

General:
    Added Replay system that allows you to edit and publish movies of your play experiences (full Mac support in the next few days)
    Added in-game Coaching system
    Added in-game Voting system
    Added training for the Demoman, Spy and Engineer
    Temporarily enabled crafting and trading

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Did anybody actually have a problem with the Backup? Somebody go figure out what the coaching/voting systems are for me

edit- you can bring up scramble/kick/map votes

super secret code has been added, people speculating that it could be for the Perceptionist, a disorienting scattergun from the weaponizer mod

Lokiamis on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    TF2 Beta update:

--- March 09, 2011 ---

Spy bots!
    You know, if they ever got around to letting bots equip unlocks a spy with the ambassador would probably be fucking terrifying.
    Medic:
    The Quick-Fix:
    Megaheal (the uber) effect now also applies to the medic
    Yes.
    General:
    Added Replay system that allows you to edit and publish movies of your play experiences (full Mac support in the next few days)
    So...they now have a demo editor that doesn't suck?
    Added in-game Voting system
    :^:

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    If I read the message in-game correctly, what you can do with the replay system is hit F6, and it'll make a recording of your current life. If you're dead and hit it, it'll make a recording of your previous life. The server seems to have to be set up/enabled to capture replays, though.

Dunno if it works, but ages ago when they were talking about the replay system, they mentioned a feature where at the end of the round you could hit something and have the server auto-upload a replay of the entire round and you can get it via the Steam interface. Still playing with it, dunno if it works.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    PMAvers wrote: »
    If I read the message in-game correctly, what you can do with the replay system is hit F6, and it'll make a recording of your current life. If you're dead and hit it, it'll make a recording of your previous life. The server seems to have to be set up/enabled to capture replays, though.

:o

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    so it has scrambleteams built in? its not just a fancy way for votes to appear from mods?

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Indeed. To bring that window up, there's a new button on the main menu that you can click while connected to the server. Assuming you can bind a key for it too.

And I'm assuming there'll be cvars to disable certain ones too.

Right now the votes, though, use 1 and 2 for yes and no. I've heard a good idea that they should move them to J and K, so it'd match the other pop-up windows that show up in normal game play.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    god damn I love the Steam screenshots function.

The Replays window.

New button on the inventory screen, Set Style.

The Call Vote button on the main menu. The little whistle-looking one to the right of it is the Call Coach button, which can ask for a volunteer player to join your game and give you advice. To sign up as a coach, there's a button at the bottom of the main menu, the one that looks like a headset. You can continue to play Tuftwo normally while waiting on a trainee, and it'll give you a message when one's been found.

koth_badlands. Basically the same as the normal badlands, except you can't get to the spires. Center point seems to be exactly the same.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Apparently you can upload replays to youtube from the menu

Lokiamis on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thank you for posting all this stuff from the TF2 beta. I would never have thought to check the TF2 forums for updates on it.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Phoneposting from the car. Its like 530am and we are somewhere in New York right now.

That replay stuff sounds shit-hot though. All of it does, actually.

And ebo, you will receive all of the beers.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I had happily forgotten that Quicktime was something that existed, but TF2 wants it to be installed to render replays to movies. It also looks like that while you can view replays sped up or in slow motion, there's no way to save them like this.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Phoneposting from the car. Its like 530am and we are somewhere in New York right now.

That replay stuff sounds shit-hot though. All of it does, actually.

And ebo, you will receive all of the beers.

Sounds like you guys will have plenty of time to nap. :)

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    We are a little behind schedule right now, night driving in the rain, not knowing if the wet on the road is ice or not does that.

According to our handy GPS, we should be getting there around 230 or 3.

Still in New York but we should be past it soon.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    We are a little behind schedule right now, night driving in the rain, not knowing if the wet on the road is ice or not does that.

According to our handy GPS, we should be getting there around 230 or 3.

Still in New York but we should be past it soon.

Shouldn't take that long to get through Massachusetts. :?

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.