As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What's a reasonable offer for a domain name buyout? And how?

EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys.

My fiance is starting up a bakery business and in an effort to help her with things, I offered to build her a web site. She picked the name of her business out ('Sweet Tweets'), and I immediately went to godaddy to see if it had been claimed yet. Of course, it had, which left me with the alternatives of either trying to piece together an alternative with hyphens and the likes or a domain that didn't end in .com.

Before I gave up and went after sweet-tweets.com, I did a bit of homework. First off, there's no site at that domain name currently, which I thought might be promising in terms of trying to obtain it... since whoever owned it might be willing to relinquish it.

Then I did some digging in the Internet Archives which showed me that this used to belong to someone who did Geocities-esque web design as a small business... at least up until 2007 or so. After that it dropped off the face of the earth.

I e-mailed the domain registrant, whose information I got off a whois, and explained the situation to them... told them I'd be interested in trying to get the domain name if they'd be willing to part with it. They simply responded with a request that I make them an offer.

Which brings me here, with two questions:

What's a fair price for this sort of thing? I've honestly never had to buy a domain name before - typically, when I set up web sites, the names I need are either unclaimed or I can make variations until I find one that isn't. I figure worst case scenario I make an offer that's low and offend her and she never answers me again, but I don't have any frame of reference for this.

Secondly, how does one actually effectuate the transfer? She's got the domain name bought until March of 2011, from what looks like a Yahoo! domain name registration service. I'm not sure how the transfer actually takes place assuming she goes for an offer I make.

Ein on

• Options
    nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't have any tangible advice, but doesn't GoDaddy have a service for buyouts?

nakirush on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    nakirush wrote: »
    I don't have any tangible advice, but doesn't GoDaddy have a service for buyouts?

Well, yeah, but that's 70 bucks ontop of whatever you end up buying the domain name for and then a commission fee after that. I figure if I've got her asking me to make an offer, I probably don't need to add that many additional costs ontop of things.

Ein on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Domain prices are completely speculative. The value is whatever its purchaser will pay for it.

Offer $100 and hope this person isn't aware of the "twitter tax" for domain names with the word "tweet" in them.

Anything over $200 would not be worth it.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, more than likely someone is parking on this domain for some twitter based startup and they're going to want more than $100 for the domain.

A lot of times people will just buy the names and sit on them until someone makes an offer for ~$1000

I'd consider the owners first or last name followed by sweettweets.com like smithssweettweets or janssweettweets or maybe sweettweetsbakery or something like that.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    $100 at the most. It's being used by an actual company. Looks like he sells bird stuff in MN and this website is a very vague front to their business.

I'd recommend using a different name. And then filing with ICANN to get a domain being squatted on on basis of a trademark/copyright. If it's a typical squatter "This domain is for sale" type of thing. It's a pain in the ass but you don't have to pay $500 for a domain name.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    $100 at the most. It's being used by an actual company. Looks like he sells bird stuff in MN and this website is a very vague front to their business.

I'd recommend using a different name. And then filing with ICANN to get a domain being squatted on on basis of a trademark/copyright. If it's a typical squatter "This domain is for sale" type of thing. It's a pain in the ass but you don't have to pay $500 for a domain name.

You're looking at sweet-tweets.com, he's asking about sweettweets.com

For cyber-squatters, you don't actually file UDRP complaints with ICANN, you file with one of their approved arbitration service providers.

Filing with WIPO, for example, costs $1500+.

oldsak on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ah I was under the impression that it was free. Has this changed?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If you're up front in your offer that you don't normally buy domains, the person might be more willing to part with it. After all, holding on to it still costs them money, even if it's not that much. So you could offer $100 but say that you're flexible -- perhaps they'd be willing to let it go for $120, for example.

Alternatively, you talk to your fiance about naming the place Sweet Retweets and register sweet-retweets.com

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ooo, as a customer of baked good stores, I think sweet-retweets is better.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Thanks for the help, guys.

I made an offer, but I sort've expect it not to go anywhere, since I have to imagine they've been holding on to the name for this long for exactly this purpose.

I'll pitch Sweet Retweets to my fiance, too. ;)

Ein on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was going to suggest sweettweetbakery.com but even it's taken

MrDelish on
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Ah I was under the impression that it was free. Has this changed?

No. The fee is to pay the arbiter.

oldsak on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    thesweettweetbakery.com is open
    might be a bit lengthy though

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    In my opinion, domain name length isn't as big of a problem as it used to be. With proper SEO and a little time to build some attention to the site, anyone that types Sweet Tweets into google is going to end up at your site since it will be an actual site and not a parked domain.

Calling it "thesweettweets" or sweettweetsbakery" won't be any worse than getting sweettweets...

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?