As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The APRIL PICK-UP THREAD - because you don't have enough things.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh shit.

Been playing Singularity for the last hour and it's fucking great.

Definitely worth the $20 even if it is as short as everyone says.

And goddamn Nolan North for having such a perfect voice for every game ever.
    He's in Singularity?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    MannyTheManateeMannyTheManatee Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    anoffday wrote: »
    Oh shit.

Been playing Singularity for the last hour and it's fucking great.

Definitely worth the $20 even if it is as short as everyone says.

And goddamn Nolan North for having such a perfect voice for every game ever.
    He's in Singularity?
    Yeah he plays the guy that you're in the chopper with at the start of the game. It's just a bit part. At least so far, I'm not very far into it.

MannyTheManatee on
  • Options
    MannyTheManateeMannyTheManatee Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Some recent pick-ups.

Some purchases from a closing Blockbuster (Spider-Man and Punch Out!) and a brand new Pokemans!

SNIP

I've never purchased the Layton games, so I finally felt my collection needed to be a bit more classy. (Also the games are awesome, I'm already through the first two and am now working on The Unwound Future.

SNIP

Also I bought this 8 gig iPod for my wife.

DSCN4872.jpg

Oh cursive, you're so useless.

I remember in Junior High School, my English teacher demanded we perfect our cursive writing because we would use it "all through High School and the rest of our lives".

I was never asked or told to use it once, ever.

MannyTheManatee on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Some recent pick-ups.

Some purchases from a closing Blockbuster (Spider-Man and Punch Out!) and a brand new Pokemans!

SNIP

I've never purchased the Layton games, so I finally felt my collection needed to be a bit more classy. (Also the games are awesome, I'm already through the first two and am now working on The Unwound Future.

SNIP

DSCN4872.jpg

I remember in Junior High School, my English teacher demanded we perfect our cursive writing because we would use it "all through High School and the rest of our lives".

Seriously

All that time wasted that they could have been teaching something useful

Like, I don't know, how to spell even the most basic of words before learning how to write them in a decidedly ugly manner that no one ever demands. It seems like a lot of the youth today has trouble with that.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Some recent pick-ups.

SNIP

SNIP

DSCN4872.jpg

Seriously

Like, I don't know, how to spell even the most basic of words before learning how to write them in a decidedly ugly manner that no one ever demands. It seems like a lot of the youth today has trouble with that.

I went through all of high school and college using cursive 100% of the time. When I got my first job after college, at an engineering company, I did all my calculations in cursive. After 6 months, at my first performance evaluation, the only negative they had for me was that no one could read my cursive handwriting. Had to switch to print after that.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I checked all 10 pages for the Borderlands thread, but it's no where to be found. It's officially dead so a new thread is in order if someone with knowledge of the game, or not, wants to make one.

I have a question, though, for anyone who has it. Is there any DLC that is worth installing now? I'm only level 10 so I wanted to save most of it for after I beat the main game, but I know that in Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot they give you extra storage for guns so would it make sense to install that now? How does it work exactly?

anoffday on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Here's the Borderlands thread that's barely a month old:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=125694&page=99

Of course, it's at page 99, so a new one should happen soon.

Don't know about the DLC question though, sorry. I'm at about the 85% mark in the main game (don't have any of the DLC). If you can get a group friends to play co-op with, I highly suggest you do that. Playing it solo can get tedious - I gave up on it at about the 50% mark and shelved it for about a year before trying again. I'm liking it more now than I did back then, but it's still kinda monotonous.

What class are you playing as?

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I chose Brick.

How'd you find that? I did edit - find - borderlands through all 10 pages of the forum. Is there a way to go beyond those 10 pages?

anoffday on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Maybe he subscribed

I was all about the Siren

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Some recent pick-ups.

SNIP

SNIP

DSCN4872.jpg

Yup, that's my daughters school work, and yea, they are uselessly demanding she learn cursive. I also never used it outside of grade school.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    img0064i.jpg

The Wrestling book, Simpsons Season 12, Amercian Psycho, The Superman/Batman, Fight Club, Hollow Man, I got at a closing Borders.

TMNT: Smash Up I got for $8 at my Target clearance.

Kirbith got me LBP and another dualshock controller cause she is the best person ever.

Boom Blox and Summerslam 2001 are from a local used game store.

All in all a good weekend.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I chose Brick.

How'd you find that? I did edit - find - borderlands through all 10 pages of the forum. Is there a way to go beyond those 10 pages?

Use google.

Search: forums.penny-arcade.com Borderlands

That's my new "search feature" and it works out better for the PA server.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    urahonky wrote: »
    I chose Brick.

Use google.

Search: forums.penny-arcade.com Borderlands

That's my new "search feature" and it works out better for the PA server.

Yeah, "site:forums.penny-arcade.com (whatever you're looking for)" in Google is how I find stuff nowadays. The first link was to the 8th or so Borderlands thread, but luckily there was always a link to the new thread on page 100. I just followed the chain until the current one (11th, I think).

bficky on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think it was in 9th grade (beginning of high school) that my English teacher told us not to write in cursive since she didn't want to learn how to read our writing. By college, everything I turned in was typed anyway since it made their job easier and my output faster.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I remember my teacher in grade school teaching us cursive, but then explaining that when we're older we're just gonna make up our own way of writing anyway. So why bother teaching it?

Jokes on him, I guess. I never write in cursive anyway.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So pickups from me! These are pickups from uh.. starting at the end of January. :lol: Yea, I'm a bit behind on posting pickup photos. Plus I had to post my last pickup a little more urgently. <3

First up, early birthday presents from Thepain73.

IMG_0070.jpg

Yea he got me a new stereo for my car, the Okami artbook (which is amazing), and a ps2. But not just any ps2 you see. This is my old ps2 and was the first console I ever bought. One of his friends sold us his ps3 in 2009 and he just had to have my ps2 since he was getting the new slim ps3 and wanted it. And I really didn't want to give it up. But I did so everyone would be happy. And he got it back for me, which is awesome. Love that ps2. Oh, and he got all this for me in mid march, and my birthday isn't until the end of April. And you know, kind of bought me an awesome ring too. :D

IMG_0067.jpg

The entire series of Yu Yu Hakusho, which I watched all the way through several years back and I've wanted to own it since then. Dragon Age 2 which I platinumed last week and the strategy guide. I've also got Sakura Wars on Wii which I haven't had a chance to play yet and The first volume of Fables and 1001 Nights of Snowfall as well. Picked up both for super cheap at one of the closing Borders around. Very bummed out that they're closing but no reason I can't pick up some good stuff in the meantime. I also picked up Grave of the Fireflies for cheap today at a local used store. So damn depressing but it's so good.

IMG_0066.jpg

The first season of The Walking Dead was amazing. Loved it enough to buy it on dvd and I can't wait for season 2, which thankfully has more than 6 episodes. Thepain73 was super awesome and picked up the Disgaea anime for me a while back. I haven't seen it for a few years so looking forward to rewatching it.
    I haven't had a chance to play Okamiden yet but super excited for it since I LOVED Okami on ps2. Also, that plushie is just so damn cute. I seem to have let my psp backlog get a bit out of hand. Ys: Seven, Ys: I & II Chronicles, Ys: The Oath in Felghana, Tactics Ogre, Phantom Brave, Hammering Hero, and What Did I do to Deserve this My Lord 2. I have Phantom Brave on ps2 but I've never managed to get far into it so I'm hoping it being on psp will help me get into it more. Plus it being $20 doesn't hurt. I'm busy with Pokemon Black right now so I'm sure I'll get into Okamiden and all these awesome psp games once I beat that.

IMG_0071.jpg

I picked all these up today, mostly because we went to two of the closing Borders sales, one of which has everything up to 70% off. Dying to read Yotsuba&!, going to pick up volume 2 tomorrow since I couldn't find it anywhere today. Plus I found a series called Neko Ramen. How the hell could I not pick that up? :lol:

I've been meaning to put all this up starting in uh.. January, but kept putting it off. Hopefully I'll get on it more now that I'm caught back up.

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Niiiiiiice.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    :^:

exis on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yu Yu Hakusho? You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i love yotsuba! i sit in book stores and read them and eat food over the pages but don't buy the books
    good books though

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    TikhonTikhon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    bficky wrote: »
    Some recent pick-ups.

SNIP

SNIP

snip

Seriously

I went through all of high school and college using cursive 100% of the time. When I got my first job after college, at an engineering company, I did all my calculations in cursive. After 6 months, at my first performance evaluation, the only negative they had for me was that no one could read my cursive handwriting. Had to switch to print after that.

I've taken a year and a half of Russian. Holy crap is their cursive hard. Like, a few Russian letters look like English letters, but sound like a different English letter than the one they look like. And some of those letters in cursive form look like an entirely different English cursive letter.

And they're all remarkably similar to the English cursive M. It eventually got to the point where all Russian cursive just looks like a bunch of connected U's and M's to me.

Tikhon on
    cockman.jpg
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Zython wrote: »

So intrigued by seeing those cases, I checked out the wiki to see just how much of the show I had seen and had missed... Apparently I only ever saw to about the halfway point, that dark tournament story arc. Now I kind of want to watch the rest.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yu Yu Hakusho was the first anime I ever watched and was pretty awesome

But then I renounced anime and it became a casualty

I do sometimes wonder though if I'd still like it if I saw it today

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man, fuck you guys for making me want to pull the trigger on a PS3 DJ Hero 2 set. I'm just gonna wanna get DJ Hero 1, and Borderlands GOTY, and Majin, and...

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

So intrigued by seeing those cases, I checked out the wiki to see just how much of the show I had seen and had missed... Apparently I only ever saw to about the halfway point, that dark tournament story arc. Now I kind of want to watch the rest.

I'd try to at least watch the Chapter Black arc (the one after Dark Tournament). It has its ups and downs, but I really liked it.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am so very sad that borders is closing and so very sad I cannot pick over its corpse.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just ordered the Complete Blu Ray set of Seitokai YakuinDomo.

If you have not heard of it yet here is a taster

*caution language*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcs2m3H-3Y0

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I am so very sad that borders is closing and so very sad I cannot pick over its corpse.

I'm actually really bummed out that so many in my area are closing, namely my favorite one to go to. I think there's only going to be one left open in my city, which is unfortunately at a very busy mall, as the other two in the area are far enough to the north and south of the city to be considered to be part of other areas. I am glad Borders as a whole isn't going under though, because I <3 me some books. I forgot to take a picture of my copy of Patrick Rothfuss's The Wise Man's Fear, which I read this week and it was AWESOME.

Well I like to think of myself as more of a gentle-lady than gentleman but thank you! :P I'm also very excited that thepain73 has agreed to watch it with me, since he hasn't seen any of it before.

Kirbith on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's like bleach with guns!

Oh and its good too, another positive change!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Wait, Borders as a whole ISN'T closing down?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited April 2011
    Wait, Borders as a whole ISN'T closing down?

No, about half their stores total are closing. They closed about 200 stores with the initial wave, and most of those stores are closing soon, probably within the next week or so.

About a month after that, they announced an additional 25ish stores they were closing, those just started their closing sales about a week or two ago I believe. I think after all this, they have about 200ish stores left open across the US. As far as I know, the ones they closed were the least profitable/ had the most expensive leases. So they're going to try and keep the remaining stores open and build up from there. I greatly prefer Borders over BN and I still have friends working at one of the Borders so I really want them to succeed.

Kirbith on
  • Options
    TikhonTikhon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's only a partial bankruptcy or something like that. Only some of the stores are closing. Kind of like Blockbuster. I don't hold out much hope for either one coming back stronger anytime soon though.

I was always more of a Barnes and Noble person anyway.

Tikhon on
    cockman.jpg
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Secret Santa thread is closed by the mod staff since it's, you know, April, but JudgeZ got my kids some awesome Star Trek onesies for Secret Santa last year. As of yesterday they're finally big enough to wear them. :) Oh, and nobody apparently sells black baby pants or socks so my wife got all domestic on our asses and dyed their clothes just so they'd look better in a photo shoot. :)
    All the kiddos together with their momma:
    195862_981875132430_22906309_49001995_6806354_n.jpg

Captain Fiona has the Kirk pose down pat:
    208803_981876524640_22906309_49002049_7167383_n.jpg

Engineer Nathan's screen are blank:
    198521_981875955780_22906309_49002021_7088261_n.jpg

Science Officer Eric studies his tricorder:
    199350_981876075540_22906309_49002026_757996_n.jpg

Cadet Lana is having trouble with her Systems Engineering course:
    200680_981876340010_22906309_49002037_823472_n.jpg

Super Bonus Action Shot!
    Captain Fiona fighting the octobeast of Couchulon 6:
    199023_981875551590_22906309_49002006_6475930_n.jpg

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wow.

How old are they?

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So.

CUTE. :P

Also, you have your Christmas card already.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited April 2011
    8 months, and it's harder to get young kids to sit still for neat photos than it has any right to be.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Quadruplets?

That is pretty amazing.

They're pretty adorable.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Kirk pose in the first picture is unbelievably perfect

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Quadruplets?

That is pretty amazing.

They're pretty adorable.

Aw thanks! I am amazed by them every day. And by my wife who manages to not kill me every day when I come home from work because she's been hanging out with 4 infants all day and still somehow has enough energy to keep working with them when I get home instead of going to take a nap or something.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I picked up Medal of Honor for the PC on Saturday. Only 30 bucks new and it comes with a Battlefield 3 beta invite. The game is really growing on me right now and Im having a blast with it... kinda like Call of Duty meets Battlefield.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
This discussion has been closed.