Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Social Entropy++: AWESOME POST in "so...uh...Cars 2", by Rankenphile

RentRent I'm always rightFuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
edited November 2010 in [2008-2012] Awesome Posts?
Rent has reported a post.

Reason:
bsjezz wrote: »
YaYa wrote: »
man, jezz

man

don't get me wrong, i would be happy for my kids to watch them

would i pay attention? no

not like i would to the fantastic mr. fox

this is the problem. kids miss the subtleties anyway, so why not make the subtleties really fucking deft, rather than just sort of half-hearted nods to adult sensibilities? the fantastic mr. fox was genuinely interesting and challenging, much more so than anything i've seen from pixar, and the kids still love it.

bsjezz wrote: »
i don't think so

i think a lot of people are a bit naive about just how blunt and unsophisticated the emotional manipulation in your average pixar film is
Post: so...uh...Cars 2
Forum: Social Entropy++
Assigned Moderators: WhipstitchZombie, Larlar, Bogey, Knob, potatoe, Orikaeshigitae

Posted by: Rankenphile
Original Content:
holy shit some of the ignorant bullshit being said about pixar and their quality is incredibly infuriating to someone who actually studies this shit

look

I get that maybe you didn't care for the story of Up or Wall-E for some reason. That's fine. They were somewhat saccharine and naturally they're formulaic - it's a hollywood film, they're all formulaic.

But you absolutely cannot deny that Pixar is creating the best pieces of long-form animation being produced for the mainstream today. Their story process is impeccable, and they manage to boil every single shot down to its most pure essence, as well as making sure that there is little to no unnecessary moments in the entire film. The opening sequence to Up, in particular, is one of the best pieces of storytelling I've ever seen. Absolutely masterful.

Their animation is astounding. Absolutely, jaw-droppingly wonderful. If you argue that point, you're fucking wrong. That's all there is to it. This isn't an opinion, these guys are fucking good at animating. That's a goddamn fact.

Their shot composition, use of color and layout and techniques for leading the eye around the screen are exceedingly clever. They know and understand the principles of film-making and use them exceptionally well. They are leading the pack in terms of what the technology is capable of. Shit, they fucking invented half of the cg technology we take for granted today.

So, fine. You can say that you didn't like the film, that's fine. But you cannot say the films were bad. Because that is wrong. They are amazingly, wonderfully great films that you simply didn't care for.

Rent on
·

Posts

  • RingoRingo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So... jezz doesn't appreciate the storytelling in Pixar films and Rank says that while you may not like the storytelling, Pixar's technical achievements in animated filmmaking are so dazzling that it is verboten to criticize Pixar's films and label them 'bad' in any context?

    Wow. Totally awesome.

    ceres wrote: »
    I'm just going to go ahead and lock this thread before I feel any worse about humanity.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG now featured at the Exigency Forum
    ·
  • MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've had this argument many times. Well said.

    5 stars.

    ·
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CA Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ratatouille is the best Pixar film, and I don't say this just because I look a lot like Linguini.

    ·
  • RikushixRikushix Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ratatouille is the best Pixar film, and I don't say this just because I look a lot like Linguini.

    Anyway. I disagree with Jezz (Pixar's manipulation of emotion is blunt and unsophisticated? Are you joking me?) but he's entitled to his opinion.

    edit: I can see that in a movie like Cars or something, but watch Monsters, Inc. or Wall-E or UP: masters of capturing emotion right there. Though I will say I didn't think UP deserved to win Best Animated Picture at the Oscars.

    StKbT.jpg
    ·
  • Fred Savage Power GloveFred Savage Power Glove Registered User
    edited November 2010
    Thank you

    As someone who holds degrees in both telecommunications and film studies, I absolutely hate this argument

    ·
  • GoatmonGoatmon You Are An Experience Make Sure You're a Good ExperienceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thank you

    As someone who holds degrees in both telecommunications and film studies, I absolutely hate being unemployed

    :P

    img]
    ·
  • Fred Savage Power GloveFred Savage Power Glove Registered User
    edited November 2010
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Thank you

    As someone who holds degrees in both telecommunications and film studies, I absolutely hate being unemployed

    :P

    Good thing you got that zinger in a day and a half later

    ·
  • GoatmonGoatmon You Are An Experience Make Sure You're a Good ExperienceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My speed is legendary.

    img]
    ·
Sign In or Register to comment.