As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cheap(ish), sturdy jeans

MelinoeMelinoe Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Where's your favorite place to buy jeans that last for a decent while? I'd prefer not to spend too much money as I'm in the process of trying to lose weight so I don't want to buy $80 pants that won't fit in a few months, but I don't want something that will fall apart rapidly either. Currently I mostly wear American Eagle jeans, and they are okay but tend to fall apart a little faster than I'd like them too. Suggestions? I am female btw.

Thinking of just biting the bullet and investing in one pair of Levis to go with what I've already got, is this a good idea y/n?

Melinoe on

• Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Can't really say anything about their women's jeans, but I've never had a problem with Gap for mens' jeans. They come in lots of different styles and colors and they hold up really well. I also like the lack of embellishments (I don't need a lot of shit on my pockets). If you can wait and watch, they often have really good sales...I think last time I bought jeans there I got 3 pairs for about $60.

Levis are really good, but obviously more expensive unless you buy the really basic ones. I've noticed with the 501s I have that the denim stretches more than usual, so they start out unbearably tight and after one day they're falling off my butt.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    H&M actually does cheap, good quality, and fairly stylish jeans.

adytum on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've been buying Ben Davis slacks for a long time, ever since I found them at a work wear place in the mall in college. Upsides: decent price, will last a damn long time. Downsides: Apparently in certain parts of LA they have a gang affiliation.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Levis are an investment?
    Kohls, Ross, Marshalls, Old Navy, and depending on any sales at the time Nordstrom's Rack.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Thanks guys, I will shop around at some of the suggested places and see what I can find!
    Levis are an investment?
    Kohls, Ross, Marshalls, Old Navy, and depending on any sales at the time Nordstrom's Rack.

Eh, Levis are just more than I am used to paying for jeans but I've heard that they're good quality and last a while.

I used to really like Old Navy but I stopped buying from them a few years ago because the construction seemed to get worse and they wouldn't last nearly as long (this isn't just my experience, either).

Melinoe on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    second gap and h&m. i used to work at gap so i ended up with a lot of their jeans and i never had a problem with them (other than moving on from the style. bootcut? ew ew ew.) h&m are also very good and tend to be cheap. problem is you gotta find a h&m.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Or better yet for women, Forever 21

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Find a Levi's outlet. They're always last season's jeans and will run you $25-40 per pair.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've been wearing Levis pretty much exclusively for a good 15 years or so now. They take quite a beating from me and last for years. I don't think I've ever paid over $40 for them even when buying at Dillard's, Sears, etc. I frequently get them in the $25-$30 range.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah i buy Levis at walmart and theyre like 18-25 bucks a pair. Far from an investment.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Huh okay I didn't know they could be found that cheap. I was just going to run down to the Levi's store (or the outlet store, which is an hour's drive away but still worth it). Awesome, thanks!

Melinoe on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Actually, depends on how long your legs are. I have 38" inseam (I think) so I shop from Delia's because its the only place I can go to that will have that and I know it. Typically at other stores it's putting the pants up to my body to see if they'll work or if they're floodpants.

Sometimes I have to buy from the men's department to get clothes to fit me properly. But Delia's is pretty good in terms of clothing. It's marketed for younger girls, but hell their jeans work.

Mim on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ross is great if they carry your size.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Levi's 514 Slim Straight.

Just go to a mall, and one of the department stores always has a sale running, you should be able to get them for $30.

Doc on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I second everyone saying Levi's. I also love Gap jeans. Good price, and amazing quality.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wear Calvin Klein Jeans - they are awesome. Comfortable, indestructible, and they give more room in the front for those of us umm....uncomfortably compressed.. by other brands.

Costco sells them for like 10 bucks a pair.

WildEEP on
  • Options
    KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Reiterating the Levis - I picked mine up for ~$30 a pair at Dillard's, and they've been great.

Kivutar on
  • Options
    VeeSeeVeeSee Pirate Ninja Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Can't go wrong with Levi 501s or 514s. If you want a higher end Levi, you can check out their Silver Tab or Red Tab line (more $$).

edit: Just realized the OP was female. The 514s I was suggesting are the Men Slim Fit, probably not for you :)

VeeSee on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Doc on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I swear by lucky brand, they are listed at like $80+ but they are pretty much always on sale online, or in the outlet store.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    WildEEP wrote: »
    I wear Calvin Klein Jeans - they are awesome. Comfortable, indestructible, and they give more room in the front for those of us umm....uncomfortably compressed.. by other brands.

I second Costco. I pick up Lucky Jeans there for 36 bucks a pair, which for those who know, is an amazing deal. Get a cheap pair of Kirkland Signature jeans for 12 bucks and you're golden.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    DoctorArch wrote: »

I second Costco. I pick up Lucky Jeans there for 36 bucks a pair, which for those who know, is an amazing deal. Get a cheap pair of Kirkland Signature jeans for 12 bucks and you're golden.

They sell lucky jeans at CostCo? DAMMIT i just joined BJ's!!!

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Levis seems to be one of the few jean companies that make pants that fit me. 32w34l shouldn't be hard to find! But I bought two pair of 505's 2 years ago, and they're all I wear. I alternate back and forth, but I can wear them for about a month between washings. I have other jeans, but when I wear them I always just want to get back into the levis. When you're used to a good pair of jeans you notice little differences in things like pocket depth, belt loop size/placement, etc.

Man, I didn't realize how much I like my pants until I started writing this.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    DoctorArch wrote: »

They sell lucky jeans at CostCo? DAMMIT i just joined BJ's!!!

I'm in the Pacific region, but there is a strong chance other Costco's have them as well. Lucky's come and go, but lately they almost always tend to have them in stock.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I swear by lucky brand, they are listed at like $80+ but they are pretty much always on sale online, or in the outlet store.

Have they stopped flaring at the cuffs so much? That was my only complaint about them, and that was a few years back.

Doc on
This discussion has been closed.