As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is aged cheddar supposed to look moldy?

LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I know mold is a part of the creation process with some cheeses, but I'd just like some assurance that the big green blotches of mold discoloring the cheddar is normal before I actually eat any. (The package was opaque so I only saw the mold once I opened it.)

If it is normal, am I supposed to cut off the mold or eat it or, uh, what?

Edit for picture:

5188828188_35b3c71bdc.jpg

LadyM on

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You can cut the mold off, but no, there is not supposed to be green mold on the outside of it and you are not supposed to eat the mold. Once cut off though, the rest of the cheese is fine.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    green mould like that is not the kind of mould you want on a cheese, not that you want any mould on cheddar. that's the kind of naturally occuring mould that will probably affect the flavour of a lot of the cheese. ie unless you generously cut the surfaces off it, it'll taste crap

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Agree'd with the above poster.

It'd also probably be a good idea to repackage the entire piece of cheese in a ziploc-kinda bag after cutting the moldy bits off, too...because if you put it back into its original packaging, it'd probably just get the mold spores all over it again, and make it re-mold faster.

I'm picky as hell though, and if the entire package was brand-new, and like that, I'd probably just get a new one. :P

NightDragon on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    That cheese looks no good. I'd just get rid of it.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Eugh, yeah, now that there's a picture, that cheese has gone extremely bad. Don't even try cutting mold off that, just throw it away.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    As someone for whom aged cheddar is practically a main food group, there should definitely not be mold that color on even a multi-year aged block of cheddar. At "best", it would taste something like cheese wrapped in sweaty gym socks, or worse.

Personally, I don't think I would even bother trying to save that block, i'd take it back to wherever it was bought and complain (or just toss it) - it's in godawful condition.

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MeatflagMeatflag Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    In general, mould on cheese, if intentional, runs throughout the cheese in veins. If unintentional, it forms on the outside first. There are exceptions to this, but whatever condition the cheese is in when you buy it should give you a good indication.

Meatflag on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You'd do better to avoid that cheddar. Any time your cheddar is that moldy you should just switch to Colby. alternatively, go back and get some jack. Or if you're that kind of feller, get some mozzarella. Or if you're in the mood, a brick of gouda. Of course, if it were me I would go for brie. And at some point you oughta try some ricotta. And you can't miss swiss.

If the plan for the cheese was to be some sort of gift, like maybe you were going to pay a leper back, you could go with...
    Parmigiano Reggiano.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You'd do better to avoid that cheddar. Any time your cheddar is that moldy you should just switch to Colby. alternatively, go back and get some jack. Or if you're that kind of feller, get some mozzarella. Or if you're in the mood, a brick of gouda. Of course, if it were me I would go for brie. And at some point you oughta try some ricotta. And you can't miss swiss.

If the plan for the cheese was to be some sort of gift, like maybe you were going to pay a leper back, you could go with...
    Parmigiano Reggiano.

And if none of it is yours, it's nacho cheese

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Arrrgh, and I just bought it TODAY. Well, I guess I will be digging up the receipt and returning some seriously moldy cheese to the store. :(

I bought two other blocks of cheese from the store today, also in opaque wrapping, same company, intending to use them as Christmas gifts. Now I'm . . . afraid.

LadyM on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    LadyM wrote: »
    Arrrgh, and I just bought it TODAY. Well, I guess I will be digging up the receipt and returning some seriously moldy cheese to the store. :(

I bought two other blocks of cheese from the store today, also in opaque wrapping, same company, intending to use them as Christmas gifts. Now I'm . . . afraid.

Judging by the pattern of mould on the cheese, I'm guessing that it wasn't sealed properly. The clean line down the centre suggests that the packaging was open on the back seam. If your other cheeses are sealed you should be fine.

EDIT: Actually that's bollocks, the seam is clearly perpendicular to the mould line in the photo.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'd open the other blocks, too, and see if they all have to go back.

What brand was it? There are cheap brands (which are sometimes priced as expensive brands around holidays when a lot of people who normally buy stuff like Kraft singles are buying fine cheeses to give as gifts) where "aged cheddar" and "old cheddar" are the same thing.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The company is Kerrygold, from Ireland. The moldy block was aged 6 - 12 months, one of the sealed cheeses is cheddar aged two years, and the third, uh, I forget the exact type, but some kind of cheese from Blarney Castle I think.

Yeeeah, I think I'm going to open the other ones just to be sure.

LadyM on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The company is Kerrygold, from Ireland. The moldy block was aged 6 - 12 months, one of the sealed cheeses is cheddar aged two years, and the third, uh, I forget the exact type, but some kind of cheese from Blarney Castle I think.

Yeeeah, I think I'm going to open the other ones just to be sure.

You mean the stuff you buy at safeway off the rack? What city do you live in? I may be able to point you in a better direction for cheese gifting.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Don't eat it.

Kerrygold is pretty good, so surprised it's moldy. Sometimes it just happens; we get cheese from the distributor or right from the farm that has mold on it.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mold is allowed to love cheese, too.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm in Seattle. My Christmas budget is very, very small this year, though.

Anyway, the good news--the other two blocks were all right so at least I can have cheese tonight. (Yay!)

LadyM on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm in Seattle. My Christmas budget is very, very small this year, though.

Anyway, the good news--the other two blocks were all right so at least I can have cheese tonight. (Yay!)

Good to hear.

I can make some recommendations if you'd like to get them more cheese.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The mould you see is just the spores on the outside, what you don't see is the mycelium - network of roots type of thing - spreading through the cheese block. The only mouldy cheese you should ever eat is stuff that is meant to be mouldy - blue Stilton, blue Brie, dolcelatte type cheeses.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    Since the answer has been given I'm locking this thread so people stop bumping it and I don't have to think about this nasty ass cheese anymore.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
This discussion has been closed.