As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MSDN student subscription (did I just fuck us over?)

ZeonZeon Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I wanted to sign up for MSDN to create some phone apps with my sister. I signed up using the student option and used her student ID to create it. I put all the company info in my name. Now it says when we submit our first app its going to verify our identity through GeoTrust. What does this mean? Is our app gonna get rejected? Will this not be considered valid? Im not trying to commit fraud, shes legitimately a student, and i just dont want this to screw anything up for her. If youre not supposed to do this, I guess i can just sign up again as a corporation and pay the subscription fee...

btworbanner.jpg
Check out my band, click the banner.
Zeon on

• Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You're not allowed to share MSDN accounts. If you're using her MSDN account but the company is in your name they're probably going to flag the account for investigation when you try to submit. I don't think it's fraud, exactly, but it's definitely not kosher. You should sign up for your own account.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Is that for all accounts or just individual/student accounts? I would think Company accounts would need multiple users.

Basically heres what i did: Filled in all the info under my Live/MSDN account, and then verified the student status on Dreamspark using her login for her university. I did it this way because i already had an MSDN account but no subscription, but im not currently enrolled in a college. I didnt even think twice about it because she is entitled to a student MSDN account, but when it said it was going to verify the account with a third party fraud detection service, i took a moment and though "Well, if a human actually looked at that, it kinda does look like fraud".

So my only option at this point would be to go for 2 paid MSDN subscriptions (or 1 paid Company subscription)? Because you cant edit the info for the owner of the account after its been created and you cant remove subscriptions, so my account will be locked until the student subscription expires. Maybe i can check with GeoTrust and see if this situation is allowed?

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    No accounts can be shared. Everybody at a company gets their own MSDN account. I know this because I missed the "wave" of MSDN buys at my last job and it was a big pain in the butt. A company might be able to get a deal buying in bulk but it's a seat license, not a site license.

Basically it looks like you're trying to get the benefits of a student MSDN account without actually being a student (may not actually be the case, but that's what it looks like). I don't think it's fraud, exactly- fraud is a pretty specific kind of crime that doesn't really apply here. Misrepresentation, perhaps, and certainly a breach of the MSDN agreement.

What exactly are you trying to do? Are you sure you need a MSDN subscription? I've never done any work with Microsoft's mobile stuff but all you need to get going with Apple's platform is any Mac (the tools are free) and $99 to join Apple's developer program. I would be shocked and appalled if Microsoft required a $1200 MSDN Embedded subscription to do WinPhone apps.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Its a 120 dollar yearly subscription to develop apps (and also includes the ability to develop xbox live arcade games). I think its 99 bucks for the US but Im in canada so its 119 + tax. The tools are free for microsoft but to actually upload apps, even free ones, to the marketplace you need a subscription, and there are 3 offerings, individual/corporate, which are paid, and student, which is free.

And yeah it definately looks like im trying to get a student subscription without being a student, but what i really was doing was trying to share the account with my sister, both if which are not allowed (I didnt know that at the time or i wouldnt have done it because if it does have reprocussions, i dont wanna fuck up her school stuff). So ill just make another account instead of submitting anything under this one, or try and figure out how to get rid of the student subscrption attached to my account.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg