Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

New Final Fantasy Wii coming. sort of

24

Posts

  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah there's so many third person action rpg hybrid games on the market today. It's so flooded with them!

  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    eternalbl wrote: »
    Rakai wrote: »
    Because the game buying public is so adept at checking out new IPs...oh wait. If they give me new games they can call it whatever the hell they want. As long as they don't give "same game, same name" that other major developers are so keen on.

    Team Ico's built a good following based on who's made the games rather than the name. One of the selling points of Bayonetta was that it was from the dude responsible for DMC. Everyone was going nuts when David Jaffe said his next game was supposed to make the player cry.

    There was a time when the brand mattered, but that time is quickly passing if it hasn't already.


    Back to the topic at hand: Anyone else get the feeling this is going to be like Dragon Age had a threesome with an FF between 1-6 and Gears of war?

    Team ICO never has big sellers. They cater to a niche. Bayonetta sold poorly (much worse than DMC4 despite having better reviews). The average user doesn't follow developer names, they follow brand names. Establishing a new IP as a major release requires an enormous marketing budget that publishers don't want to spend on anything other than established IPs (this is currently one of the biggest problems of the industry). There is a reason why movies have marketing budgets of $100 million+ even when the movies come from well known critically acclaimed directors (see Avatar/Inception). Advertising video games is much more difficult however. Most people don't download demos/watch developers diaries leaving you with TV/posters/magazines etc. Unlike movies where 30-60 seconds can convey what the movie is about, a commercial has a really hard time conveying everything about a game. There is a reason why Activision wouldn't let Infinity Ward drop Call of Duty from Modern Warfare 2, and there's a reason why preorders spiked when the names in the computers went from MW2 to CoD:MW2. With video games, a name alone can do far more advertising than what their budget allows.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah there's so many third person action rpg hybrid games on the market today. It's so flooded with them!

    It's still the same to me. And that's all that matters when it comes to ME buying games. Amazing how that works out.

    3JB51V3.png
    Nintendo ID: Cloudbomb
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah there's so many third person action rpg hybrid games on the market today. It's so flooded with them!

    It's still the same to me. And that's all that matters when it comes to ME buying games. Amazing how that works out.

    well I mean if you warp reality like that pretty sure nobody is gonna feel sorry for you, chief

    JKKaAGp.png
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Not sure what I am warping here? The game leaves a bitter taste of FF in my mouth and i've been eating that shit for years, so I just don't have interest in it. Is it a different game? Obviously, but that doesn't take away from my distaste for it, even not having played it.

    And I don't expect anyone to feel sorry for me, I am simply expressing my dislike for something, especialy the common usage of specific parts of previous entities and my ability to choose not to play it.

    I will say my FF rant did come off a bit juvenile, but it is not the games themselves that upset me, it is more of the lack of progression that I see. I am getting bored with the same shit is all.

    3JB51V3.png
    Nintendo ID: Cloudbomb
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This game graphically, looks like a PS2 game, the settings are uninspired, the character designs are lame

    otoh the combat looks fairly interesting albeit extremely slow

    I'm not necessarily looking forward to it but i'll check reviews when it's out

  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User
    edited November 2010
    I think it looks pretty cool. The characters do seem uninspired, but from what I've seen and read about the combat it looks pretty fresh and interesting. Hopefully we'll see it released in NA.

    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    Spoiler:
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Not sure what I am warping here? The game leaves a bitter taste of FF in my mouth and i've been eating that shit for years, so I just don't have interest in it. Is it a different game? Obviously, but that doesn't take away from my distaste for it, even not having played it.

    And I don't expect anyone to feel sorry for me, I am simply expressing my dislike for something, especialy the common usage of specific parts of previous entities and my ability to choose not to play it.

    I will say my FF rant did come off a bit juvenile, but it is not the games themselves that upset me, it is more of the lack of progression that I see. I am getting bored with the same shit is all.

    it's not the same!

    "Wah wah wah no innovation wah wah wah"

    "Well hey what about the fact that it has a totally new gameplay system"

    "Whatever. Looks the same to me, that's all that matters"

    JKKaAGp.png
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    seriously hollowedfaith if you think all final fantasies are the same you're simply not paying attention.

    because they're all pretty drastically different from each other except for 6 and 7

    I mean even X-2 is completely different from X in many, many ways. and that's a sequel

  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'll probably end up buying this sometime.

    Kind of depends on how slow the combat ends up being.

  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dang, wrong thread

    steam_sig.png
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User
    edited November 2010
    Rakai wrote: »
    eternalbl wrote: »
    Rakai wrote: »
    Because the game buying public is so adept at checking out new IPs...oh wait. If they give me new games they can call it whatever the hell they want. As long as they don't give "same game, same name" that other major developers are so keen on.

    Team Ico's built a good following based on who's made the games rather than the name. One of the selling points of Bayonetta was that it was from the dude responsible for DMC. Everyone was going nuts when David Jaffe said his next game was supposed to make the player cry.

    There was a time when the brand mattered, but that time is quickly passing if it hasn't already.


    Back to the topic at hand: Anyone else get the feeling this is going to be like Dragon Age had a threesome with an FF between 1-6 and Gears of war?

    Team ICO never has big sellers. They cater to a niche. Bayonetta sold poorly (much worse than DMC4 despite having better reviews). The average user doesn't follow developer names, they follow brand names. Establishing a new IP as a major release requires an enormous marketing budget that publishers don't want to spend on anything other than established IPs (this is currently one of the biggest problems of the industry). There is a reason why movies have marketing budgets of $100 million+ even when the movies come from well known critically acclaimed directors (see Avatar/Inception). Advertising video games is much more difficult however. Most people don't download demos/watch developers diaries leaving you with TV/posters/magazines etc. Unlike movies where 30-60 seconds can convey what the movie is about, a commercial has a really hard time conveying everything about a game. There is a reason why Activision wouldn't let Infinity Ward drop Call of Duty from Modern Warfare 2, and there's a reason why preorders spiked when the names in the computers went from MW2 to CoD:MW2. With video games, a name alone can do far more advertising than what their budget allows.

    The more I think about it, the more I realize there is no magic formula for a game's success apart from being a sequel to an established franchise or not being a 3rd party wii title. We're all doomed! D:


    Edit: In HallowedFaith's defense, the music and style is final fantasy almost to a fault. I know it's made by the guys who made most of the series, but with the direction the series has taken it's actually turning me off this game a little. The gameplay parts that're shown make up for it though, as that is obviously very different from any other mainline FFs.

    Spoiler:
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I guess it really comes down to perspective, which is what I have been saying all along. The game does not look appealing to ME the CONSUMER who will decide to purchase said game. Right away I am turned off by the game. Could it turn out to be the best game ever fucking made? Totally possible. Does that take away from the fact that it screams FINAL FANTASY at me? No it does not.

    Innovation requires more than just a battle mechanic change. Art and music are easily 50% of a game, if not more.

    Regardless, this is just my view and I am welcome to it, as you are your own. I don't think that because I feel the FF games are all the same makes me some kind of monster or someone who does not pay attention, I just play games my way and I know what I expect out of them. I mean hell, the whole Military FPS shit is out of control. CoD/MoH fans eat that shit up and put billions of hours into it. I can't stand those games because they don't hold anything unique for me. Doesn't mean anything excpet I don't buy why I don't like.

    And for reference, my favorite game in the world is FF7, I play through it at least once a year and is the entire reason I spent money on a PSPGoFuckYourself.

    3JB51V3.png
    Nintendo ID: Cloudbomb
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The problem is the huge logical fallacy you're making

    JKKaAGp.png
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ..and the fact that you decry lack of innovation in final fantasies and yet consider a game that is a complete and utter ripoff of FFVI in every way, shape, and form your favorite in the world

  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    FF7 was far from a ripoff, considering its depth, innovation in the battle system, complete transfer to 3D, and one of the best storylines in a game, ever. Clearly it was FF, obviously it has to be in order to be the 7th, but it was still my favorite in the series. Now that I think about it, I really enjoyed Tactics as well.

    I don't see a logical error in my thinking, although that does not make it impossible. A toaster only knows to toast and can not tell if the toast is good or not. So I will leave it with what I have been saying the entire time: It's all about perspective. I don't initially like the game for my reasons. Even if my reasons are flawed as you say, they are still my reasons. If you don't see the same thing I do then that is fine, you will choose to buy the game or you won't. The world keeps turning.

    I'm gonna go make toast.

    3JB51V3.png
    Nintendo ID: Cloudbomb
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wonder if people wouldn't complain so much about Final Fantasy if they named them differently and put a little "Final Fantasy" logo above the title.

    Lifestream Saga

    Sword and Sorceress

    Melodies of Life

    Spira

    For Queen and Country

    The Crystal Bearers

    3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504
    Nintendo Network ID: unclesporky
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So this game is not innovative and looks the same

    but FF7 was deep and fresh

    go make toast

    JKKaAGp.png
  • reddeathreddeath Registered User
    edited November 2010
    I wouldn't complain about final fantasy if they hadn't stopped being fun and interesting after the last SNES one and 7.

    The only final fantasy that came close recently for me was the last one they put out on Ps2, because I liked the battle system quite a bit, but couldn't stand the main character.

    On the other hand, I absolutely adore the Dragon quest games, for both improving consistently, and generally sticking to their roots. They even had the stones to put out a flagship title on DS with dragon quest.

    Is there any word on the game featuring couch co-op? My brother and I typically take some vacation time during the year to get together and go through whatever new tales game we haven't finished, a good co-op game in that vein would be awesome.

  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wonder if people wouldn't complain so much about Final Fantasy if they named them differently and put a little "Final Fantasy" logo above the title.
    This is an interesting point that I have run into a lot. I like to call a certain game 'Oblivion with guns' so that I may one day get around to playing it without any baggage of the series. Some people feel that way about Silent Hill Shattered Memories because the original series and conventions are sacred to them. I felt the same way about RE4/5 vs classical survival horror.

    So the answer to your inquiry is unequivocally, yes

  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So this game is not innovative and looks the same

    but FF7 was deep and fresh

    go make toast

    Yes, aren't values and opinions amazing? We can all have our own!

    Toast for everyone!

    3JB51V3.png
    Nintendo ID: Cloudbomb
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    This game graphically, looks like a PS2 game

    Well, it is a Wii game. There's only so much we can expect NotSquaresoft to do with the hardware.

  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It reminds me of FF12 and/or Shadow of the Colossus. If it can reach that point, hooray for looking like a PS2 game!

    3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504
    Nintendo Network ID: unclesporky
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I mean, it looks better than FF12 which is probably the best looking PS2 game? It isn't amazing looking or anything but it looks nice enough.

    I am less excited for this than I am for Xenoblade because Xenoblade looks great. But this has a better shot at coming out here, so...

  • IceBurnerIceBurner Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Looks interesting enough to me. I'd also say it looks noticeably better than a PS2 game.

    People say the same thing about MH3 videos, but I must assume they've never actually played the game because PS2 simply doesn't get that pretty.

    The action-RPG gameplay also looks intriguing enough. Reminds me just a tad of Vagrant Story, but with the ability to do the kind of things you would have assumed a secret operative would -- such as stealthily taking people out with crossbows.

    4-person online multiplayer could give the game's fun factor a decent boost. PSO and MH are a blast, but MH requires more attention that most people are willing to pay to their enjoyment, thus there's been sort of a void in this area since the less-intensive PSO went offline.

    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think it's hilarious when people say that a particular Wii game "looks like a PS2 game". The PS2 had low texture resolutions and a complete lack of hardware anti-aliasing - GameCube games, by comparison, though suffering from lower polygon output, looked far better.

    Maybe the "jaggies" issue of the Wii on modern LCD's brings back memories of the PS2's look, but seriously, games on the Wii look so much better. The distance between the two is highlighted further when games are run on the Dolphin emulator. Just up the resolution to HD and wow - games on the Wii look quite good, for such a low power system.

    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

    Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The trick to the Wii is alcohol.

    Party System? Enhanced with drinking.
    Jaggies? Blurred away by drinking.
    Hilariously trying to do things with the Wii that would normally piss you off? Caused by drinking.

    I enjoyed my Wii parties for this very reason. If I owned a bar I would slap a few these fuckers up and rake in the cash.

    Oh my God. A Gamer Bar.

    Best Idea Ever?

    3JB51V3.png
    Nintendo ID: Cloudbomb
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The trick to the Wii is alcohol.

    Party System? Enhanced with drinking.
    Jaggies? Blurred away by drinking.
    Hilariously trying to do things with the Wii that would normally piss you off? Caused by drinking.

    I enjoyed my Wii parties for this very reason. If I owned a bar I would slap a few these fuckers up and rake in the cash.

    Oh my God. A Gamer Bar.

    Best Idea Ever?

    Gamer bars have been tried before

    They all fail

    steam_sig.png
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You say that like there have been a lot and I have never heard of a single one. Do you have experience with one you would like to share with the class?

    3JB51V3.png
    Nintendo ID: Cloudbomb
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    BigDes wrote: »
    The trick to the Wii is alcohol.

    Party System? Enhanced with drinking.
    Jaggies? Blurred away by drinking.
    Hilariously trying to do things with the Wii that would normally piss you off? Caused by drinking.

    I enjoyed my Wii parties for this very reason. If I owned a bar I would slap a few these fuckers up and rake in the cash.

    Oh my God. A Gamer Bar.

    Best Idea Ever?

    Gamer bars have been tried before

    They all fail

    goin to throw back a few cold ones and watch SC2

  • HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User
    edited November 2010
    The trick to the Wii is alcohol.

    Party System? Enhanced with drinking.
    Jaggies? Blurred away by drinking.
    Hilariously trying to do things with the Wii that would normally piss you off? Caused by drinking.

    I enjoyed my Wii parties for this very reason. If I owned a bar I would slap a few these fuckers up and rake in the cash.

    Oh my God. A Gamer Bar.

    Best Idea Ever?

    Doesnt Yathzee run one? i think its called mana bar or something.

    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    This game graphically, looks like a PS2 game, the settings are uninspired, the character designs are lame

    otoh the combat looks fairly interesting albeit extremely slow

    I'm not necessarily looking forward to it but i'll check reviews when it's out

    You're blind Rent, there's no PS2 game that looks anywhere near as good as The Last Story does.

    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Don't know why anyone is even talking about any Final Fantasy past 6 in relation to this, honestly.

    Sakaguchi got further and further away from the actual development aspect of FF after that, so FF7+ is basically totally unrelated to Mistwalker and this game. (Although I do recall reading that FF9 was Sakaguchi's favorite FF game, for whatever that's worth)

    I mean, I may as well say that I'm not going to play this because Daikatana was so bad.

    camo_sig2-400.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.png Basilius | TF2 Backpack | SMITE - Laitarne | PSN - Masked_Unit
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    He was decently involved with 9.

    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, there is a Bar in Aus called Mana Bar and it does quite well actually. In fact they are expanding already and they have only been open a short time.

    The target demographic is of course important in something like this, but I don't see any popular "failures" or a trend for that matter. Quick googling shows that most "gamer bars" do quite well.

    If one was opened next to a college and stocked with Madden and FPS games, I imagine it would see quite a large amount of cashflow.

    I don't see how this is a bad idea or how "they all fail."

    3JB51V3.png
    Nintendo ID: Cloudbomb
  • Fig-DFig-D Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There's promise here, but I've found myself less and less enthused about the JRPG genre. I'm in "wait and see" mode.

    WeskerSig.jpg
    SteamID - Fig-D :: Xbox Live - Fig D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Fig-DFig-D Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, there is a Bar in Aus called Mana Bar and it does quite well actually. In fact they are expanding already and they have only been open a short time.

    The target demographic is of course important in something like this, but I don't see any popular "failures" or a trend for that matter. Quick googling shows that most "gamer bars" do quite well.

    If one was opened next to a college and stocked with Madden and FPS games, I imagine it would see quite a large amount of cashflow.

    I don't see how this is a bad idea or how "they all fail."

    Off topic, but where did you go to find these places online?

    I've been looking for one in my area but they seem to thrive in the larger cities.

    WeskerSig.jpg
    SteamID - Fig-D :: Xbox Live - Fig D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just googled various terms.

    There appear to be a few in Tokyo, some just themed, and some offering gaming.
    There is the Mana Bar in Aus
    Chatterbox has a few locations in Minneapolis
    There are a few in SF.

    Most of these have some kind of double-face or conversion. They offer gaming and other attractions as part of the bar, but that is kind of needed because you've got to retain a profit in your off hours, unless you're selling alcohol at skyrocket prices.

    Bigger cities would be the only places to really get the type of income to survive, that and or as I said above, residing next to a college or very close to one in smaller towns. Colleges are bankroll if you know how to target them right.

    Seems to me that a reasonably structured Gamer Bar is actually quite a good idea.

    3JB51V3.png
    Nintendo ID: Cloudbomb
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Damn, looks like there is actually a video game bar in Atlanta, but none of the public transit goes up to Marietta.

    I would have been better off without this knowledge.

    I blame you HF.

    camo_sig2-400.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.png Basilius | TF2 Backpack | SMITE - Laitarne | PSN - Masked_Unit
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The closest thing we have around here is Dave and Busters. But it's pretty expensive.

Sign In or Register to comment.