As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Stupid PS3 controller question.

useless4useless4 Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Games and Technology
Does anyone know if they make a ps3 controller that doesn't have buttons mapped to the analog sticks?

I am realizing that I can't play shooters because I either am crouching or knifing at all the wrong times and none of the games will let me remove those buttons from assignment. It's so bad that on COD Black Ops I've only played a total of two days for five hours and am got the level VII award for shooting while crouching already.

useless4 on

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I can't speak for Black Ops, but check the options to see if you can modify the controls. If I'm understanding you correctly the ones you're looking for are L3 and R3 (when you press the analog stick in). Odds are if a game uses those buttons than you're pretty hosed, since it means there are enough functions that you won't be able to do everything you need to do using the standard d-pad and face buttons.

Alternatively, don't press the sticks so hard.

SmokeStacks on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I actually have the same problem with the PS3 controller... Do you have the SIXAXIS controller by any chance?

urahonky on
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Currently using a dual shock 3 but i have both.

useless4 on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ah okay. I was just curious since I have a SIXAXIS and I have the same problem. I don't know if it's a sensitivity thing, but I barely press on it and it clicks.

urahonky on
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah its all PS3 controllers that do that. I dont think anyone makes one without those buttons because you kind of need them.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
    edited November 2010
    I was thinking that they would be on the face next to the shape buttons.

useless4 on
  • EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I never liked those buttons.

EggPuppet on
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is this the kung-fu grip thread? I've been searching all day

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    All PS3 controllers have the L3/R3 buttons.
    All PS2 controllers do as well.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There is some truth to that though.

I have fairly large hands and I am not gentle on controllers. I tend to make them creak and moan under the severity of my grip. I can't conciously remember to use a lighter touch and play a game, especially when I get into a tough scenerio. This is also somewhat dangerous for me and my Nintendo DS. Thank for the XL. (that thing fucking rocks)

Here is my question: Does CODBLOPS not let you remap the controller in game?

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
    edited November 2010
    It does but R3 is going to either be crouch or knife. Both of them are not something i enjoy randomly doing.

useless4 on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    useless4 wrote: »
    It does but R3 is going to either be crouch or knife. Both of them are not something i enjoy randomly doing.

From what I understand, that could be an advantage.

725404532_HhdVE-L.jpg

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This thread reminds me of Gunvalkyrie on the OXBOX. That game had your oft-required dash maneuver on R3, and it wasn't like a crouch toggle or quick melee attack: it was something you had to do ALL the fucking time, WHILE you were holding the stick in various directions. I could never get used to it. My right thumb would wear out and the controller would start making "what the fuck are you doing" noises within 10 minutes (plus the stick would get stuck "down" which worried me). Controllers were expensive, the game cost me $3, so I quit playing it.

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • Ain SophAin Soph Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There was a controller made during the PS2 era specifically to address this problem. It had 2 extra buttons on the back that replaced R3 and L3. However. I've yet to see a playstation 3 iteration.

The issue is odd in that it's both a controller sensitivity issue, and a hand anatomy issue. I've had this problem since I can remember, and my solution was if possible to remap the typical R1/L1 buttons to R2/L2. This actually allows the muscle between the thumb and index finger to be more relaxed. If you've played Borderlands or some such game with this mapping to R2/L2 you'll notice you probably have the problem much less frequently. And to any game that doesn't allow remapping or doesn't have R2/L2 as standard, then tell the devs they can fuck themselves.

Ain Soph on
    :whistle: