As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Doom 2 Lan Help - Solved - Lock Please

Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I have two computers, one XP and one Vista, hooked up by ethernet to a wireless router. The computers see each other and I can share files between them. But for some reason I cannot connect to my son's computer in Doom. I've tried all the options available, but they just go unresponsive when trying to connect.

What am I missing?

Steam: kaylesolo1
3DS: 1521-4165-5907
PS3: KayleSolo
Live: Kayle Solo
WiiU: KayleSolo
Capt Howdy on

• Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    AFAIK Doom 2 multiplayer can only occur using IPX networking protocol, which Microsoft does not support in Windows Vista or later. I've yet to find a way to do it.

If you can get another Windows XP computer it's pretty easy to setup IPX support.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Whoops, I think I just proved myself wrong, apparently the Id Software site says that you can use TCP as well. Just make sure that whoever is hosting the game either has appropriate ports opened on their Windows Firewall or disables the firewall completely, and then you should be able to just connect to the host's IP.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ruckus wrote: »
    AFAIK Doom 2 multiplayer can only occur using IPX networking protocol, which Microsoft does not support in Windows Vista or later. I've yet to find a way to do it.

If you can get another Windows XP computer it's pretty easy to setup IPX support.

I think the last time I wanted to play Doom with someone I just set up a null modem cable (really long parallel port cord) and did it that way. Maybe that was the original quake, I really can't recall.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    dispatch.o wrote: »

I think the last time I wanted to play Doom with someone I just set up a null modem cable (really long parallel port cord) and did it that way. Maybe that was the original quake, I really can't recall.

Null Modems are Serial port to Serial port, it it should be noted that Serial ports used to be common in 25 pin configurations that were visually identical to parallel ports, except usually gender inverted at the host port. (Serial Ports Male, Parallel is Female)

Ruckus on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    dispatch.o wrote: »

Null Modems are Serial port to Serial port, it it should be noted that Serial ports used to be common in 25 pin configurations that were visually identical to parallel ports, except usually gender inverted at the host port. (Serial Ports Male, Parallel is Female)

Ah, right right. It's been a while.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Whoops, I think I just proved myself wrong, apparently the Id Software site says that you can use TCP as well. Just make sure that whoever is hosting the game either has appropriate ports opened on their Windows Firewall or disables the firewall completely, and then you should be able to just connect to the host's IP.

I'll have to give this a go. Thanks Ruckus. I damn near gave up after reading about the IPX stuff when I googled it.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Clearly the default Doom program isn't what I should be using since there is no host or IP option. I'm using the windows version instead of running it through DoS. It's the default one that came with the official disk. (Old as the game, it calls Doom 2 Doom 95)

Any recommendations on a good windows program?

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    There may be a Doom2 launcher in the program directory that lets you setup and host a multiplayer game.

Here's the manual for the Steam version of it.
    http://www.steampowered.com/Manuals/2300/DOOM%20II%20Manual.pdf

Ruckus on
  • Options
    bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh man, memories of Quake 1 co-op by null modem.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Get yourself a source port and nullify the pain. It's really that simple.

Best I know of these days is GZDoom. There's also Skulltag which is specifically designed for multiplayer Doom.

theSquid on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh and bobmyknob linked Doomsday. That's pretty awesome, especially when you import the 3D models, but it's not true DooM as it alters the fundamental gameplay mechanics to support its extra features - you are not properly playing legacy DooM as it was created.

theSquid on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yes, yes, yes, definitely. Use a source port like the gents linked above, go over TCP/IP, and save yourself a bunch of headaches.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    theSquid wrote: »
    Get yourself a source port and nullify the pain. It's really that simple.

Best I know of these days is GZDoom. There's also Skulltag which is specifically designed for multiplayer Doom.

I came here to suggest these exact 2 options. So yeah, +1

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Woohoo! Skulltag got it going. Love the mods on it too. The minigun look feels.... just right. My son is stoked to be playing Doom with his daddy.

Thanks everyone!

Capt Howdy on