As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Family Financial Frakup

DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys, I am trying to help a sibling with some bad koney woes.

After over a decade my sister is seperated from her husband and at some point will finalize divorce. One of the lessons she has learned the hard way is not to have every credit card under one name. She owes somewhere around $21k across a few banks.

Currently she is living at home and working a couple of low paying part time jobs and is essentially not making enough to meet all the monthly payments. She tried speaking to a few banks to see if they were willing to settle partway and those that seemed willing wanted all the money up front.

And if that wasnt enough she and her ex's home has more money owed on it than its worth. This is the one debt that actually has his name on it.

I am trying to think what to recommend for her. The options I can think of are credit consolidation(are any of those guys on the up and up?) or bankruptcy. I've never had money issues even close to this so I was looking for guidance or other suggestions. Thanks!

"I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
DragonPup on

• Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Has she talked to her divorce attorney about what could be settled in the divorce?

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Has she talked to her divorce attorney about what could be settled in the divorce?

Yup!

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Lawyers cost money that she doesnt have. Unless theres the equivilent to public defenders or a nonprofit group in Massachusetts.

DragonPup on

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    It sounds like if there's a way for her to scrape together enough for a lawyer it would probably pay for itself.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Are there any debt consolidation places she could talk to? I dont really know much about them but I see the commercials at work every day.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Are there any debt consolidation places she could talk to? I dont really know much about them but I see the commercials at work every day.

I see the ads too, but they all come off as totally sketchy. If anyone knows of one that isn't let me know.

As for a divorce lawyer, assuming its settled out of court how much should one expect it to cost?

DragonPup on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There is no right answer for that. Divorce proceedings can last a week to five years, more, less, or somewhere in between. If there aren't children involved it is generally much much much much much much much quicker and cheaper. They can use the same attorney which will be the cheapest, but only couples on amicable terms can pull that off. I've had a scum bag attorney take me for $14,000 and produce nothing. My current attorney is incredible and has nearly completed my drawn out case for a fraction of that.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Don't. The one person I know that tried this said it went like this: First you stop sending any payments directly to any of the places that you owe money and send all your money to the debt consolidation place. Then from that money they take the $5k or so that they're charging you for their services before they start any negotiating for you. So if it takes you 6 months worth of payments to get them their fee, all of your existing debts continue to rack up late fees and increased interest rates during this period. Then when the consolidation place finally starts negotiating for you, you'll be lucky if they can get you back down to the payments you had before you ever came to them.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The only thing more expensive than getting a lawyer is not getting a lawyer.

She needs to find a non-profit, get a loan from a friend or family member, or somehow manage to scrape together the money to get a lawyer. In her case, it will doubtlessly be a good investment.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    The only thing more expensive than getting a lawyer is not getting a lawyer.

She needs to find a non-profit, get a loan from a friend or family member, or somehow manage to scrape together the money to get a lawyer. In her case, it will doubtlessly be a good investment.

That said a lawyer isn't going to be able to make the debt go away, she will still likely be responsible for her fair share and that house sounds expensive. She should still get a lawyer though.

Sir Headless VII on
    Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Alright, when I speak with her next, I will advise her to look for a non-profit lawyer group. Thanks again.

DragonPup on

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Also, there may be a free attorney available some days at the courthouse. Check out the Pro Se office.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    sterling3763sterling3763 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    In DC, the Bar has a pro bono program that hosts monthly walk-ins clinics where people can talk to an attorney for an hour or two and at least get some guidance on these sorts of matters. If you meet certain income eligibility requirements, you can qualify for on-going representation. MA likely has something similar.
    A quick google search suggests this might be a good starting point. They don't seem to have a unit designed for this particular issue, but might be able to help anyway. And if they can't, they will definitely be able to refer you to someone else; they've likely partnered with/referred people to them before.

sterling3763 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Thanks guys. I spoke to a friend who knows someone who does family law. Since the two parties just want the marriage over with, and with no kids, it won't be nearly as expensive to do the actual divorce as initially thought. First they have to figure out exactly how much they owe and to who...

DragonPup on

• Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    DragonPup wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I spoke to a friend who knows someone who does family law. Since the two parties just want the marriage over with, and with no kids, it won't be nearly as expensive to do the actual divorce as initially thought. First they have to figure out exactly how much they owe and to who...

Pretty much, yup. After disclosure comes the split, then the separation/filing and then the ruling.

After the split, she'll have a better idea of what's going on.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    KillgrimageKillgrimage Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Weird, I thought that when people got married, their debts became each other's debt, and anything debts made after marriage became joint, regardless of who's name was on what. Is that not true anymore?

Killgrimage on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    Varies from state to state

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Don't. The one person I know that tried this said it went like this: First you stop sending any payments directly to any of the places that you owe money and send all your money to the debt consolidation place. Then from that money they take the $5k or so that they're charging you for their services before they start any negotiating for you. So if it takes you 6 months worth of payments to get them their fee, all of your existing debts continue to rack up late fees and increased interest rates during this period. Then when the consolidation place finally starts negotiating for you, you'll be lucky if they can get you back down to the payments you had before you ever came to them.

Same thing happend to a guy I work with. They pocketed his first few payments and then found out after a few months that his debt wasn't actually being paid off.

Namrok on
  • Options
    VortigernVortigern Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It may be worthwhile to speak to a good bankruptcy trustee. I have no idea how the rules work in the US, but it can't hurt. They often offer debt consolidation services, etc, and are more likely to be reputable since getting a trustee's license is expensive, difficult, and time consuming (at least in Ontario). If nothing else, insolvency experts know how to deal with debt and might be able offer better solutions than the rest of us come up with?

Vortigern on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just a heads up on the bankruptcy route - certain debts cannot be discharged in bankruptcy, so I would read this.

Also, I know a lot of judges will deny ch. 7 protection and force ch. 13 for most cases that arise out of divorce (at least the ones that I have seen in Florida).

(not a lawyer!)

Spherick on
  • Options
    KidDynamiteKidDynamite Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    The only thing more expensive than getting a lawyer is not getting a lawyer. She needs to find a non-profit, get a loan from a friend or family member, or somehow manage to scrape together the money to get a lawyer. In her case, it will doubtlessly be a good investment.

Take it from me, and other friends and the stories you hear.

KidDynamite on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Stay the FUCK away from debt consolidation places. Use a REPUTABLE financial institution. There are so many scams in the debt consolidation business it's really sad.

Other than that there's a lot of good advice here.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png