As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]The old thread is dead. Long live the new thread.

• TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    BattleMechs seem awesome, but I have a few concerns about it, namely how many can be spawned at one time; if it's possible to have an entire party roll out in a squad of battlesuits from one Asura spawning them, or if it's a 1:1 ratio of Asura to Golem.

Other than that, I'm planning on being an Asura, but still thinking about whether to go as as an Engineer or a Mesmer. I have yet to decide which.

TolerantZero on
    Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Well for the elite-skill golems; ANet knows how to balance. I am fairly sure it will be one golem per active skill (aka one golem per asura). Keep in mind this takes up an elite slot, and while being used, the operator won't have access to their skills.

In this article it looks like they are actually talking about something even bigger, but that is in terms of PvP siege vehicles, which is entirely separate from skill balance.

Stupid wrote:
    I don't know if this has been linked in yet but they talk quite a bit about WvWvW in this interview.

Plus, playable Giant Asura BattleMechs.

Excited to see WvWvW/PvP screenshots from GWinsider. Glad to hear that ANet are working on some sort of spectator mode. I liked watching high-end matches in GW1 from time to time, and with the more visual and active skill system in GW2 it could be very fun to just spectate matches.

Also, 500 players per WvWvW map.. wow.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    What i like most is that they seemed to solve the problem with WAR's RvR where everyone and their mother (and grandmother) had to go through a tiny opening in order to take a keep.

They are allowing you to eventually level a keep. No more sieges that wont end simply because they have just enough defenders to keep you from getting through a choke point. It will also, as side effect, relieve lag issues of packing so many people so close together. When a server has to calculate hitting 50+ people for one aoe spell it can really start chugging.

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Stupid wrote:
    I don't know if this has been linked in yet but they talk quite a bit about WvWvW in this interview.

Warning: Remove your pants before reading that interview.

My excitement just torn my jeans in two.

On that note, I need to go take a cold shower.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Enig wrote:

Excited to see WvWvW/PvP screenshots from GWinsider. Glad to hear that ANet are working on some sort of spectator mode. I liked watching high-end matches in GW1 from time to time, and with the more visual and active skill system in GW2 it could be very fun to just spectate matches.

I thought it was 500 players per server?

ironzerg wrote:
    Stupid wrote:

Warning: Remove your pants before reading that interview.

My excitement just torn my jeans in two.

On that note, I need to go take a cold shower.

Now you know how we've felt for so long.

We have the biggest blue balls imaginable.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote:
    Enig wrote:

500 per map, four maps.

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote:
    Arthil wrote:
    Enig wrote:

500 per map, four maps.

That is an additional 500 people more.

• CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote:
    Arthil wrote:
    Enig wrote:

500 per map, four maps.

And still no monthly fee. It's glorious.

The best part of the interview for me was how the designers made it very, very clear that they play a lot of competitive games. Time and time again, ArenaNet has made it very clear that the people making this game are all gamers, just like us. Instead of elevating themselves to some mythical, "superior" level (looking at you, Blizzard), they've shown that they're just dedicated, hardcore gaming enthusiasts who happened to get the opportunity to make the best game ever.

There is no other game coming out that I am excited for more than Guild Wars 2. In fact, there are no entertainment properties that I anticipate more than this game—no book, movie, TV show, videogame, nothing.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Caedere wrote:
    In fact, there are no entertainment properties that I anticipate more than this game—no book, movie, TV show, videogame, nothing.

citizen_cane.gif

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Just a quick update: Seeing as Beta is now on the horizon and this thread's a little over a year old and fast approaching 100 pages, I will soon be making a new thread to facilitate the transition from hype-train to beta to release, and from there we may or may not do like WoW and SWTOR do and split threads; I don't envision that happening but the need might come up for at least a separate PvP thread to facilitate World and Structured PvP planning. We'll use this main thread for chat and general stuff as well as PA guild stuff and go from there.

488W936.png
  • naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    If nothing else, do it cuz the thread's about to cap.

In other news, 500 people on 4 maps per 3 world servers means that if launch goes smoothly, then release day will likely be the Best Day Ever™.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    naengwen wrote:
    If nothing else, do it cuz the thread's about to cap.

In other news, 500 people on 4 maps per 3 world servers means that if launch goes smoothly, then release day will likely be the Best Day Ever™.

It'll be hard to pick between PvE and PvP for leveling in the beginning. I think I'll start with PvE and progress to being comfortable with WvWvW, then perhaps level in PvP on a alt later on.

488W936.png
    Guys are you sure you are correct about it being 500 per map and not 500 per side?

Arthil wrote:
    Guys are you sure you are correct about it being 500 per map and not 500 per side?

It's awesome either way.

488W936.png
    edited January 2012
    Arthil wrote:

They say so in the podcast.

reVerse on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    It's 500 per map currently. That is a cap due to the software limits, which they are trying to push, according to the interview. When they say "per map", it bears clarifying that the 4 maps are connected as part of one huge battlefield. So that means 2,000 people participating in one "war".

I was playing against someone and had like 10% health or something like that. I ran around a corner as they were chasing me and I was able to pop off some illusions quickly. As they rounded the corner, I just stood still. I started, very slowly, pushing my #1 skill like my other illusions were doing. They were like “wait, which one of these is the real one?”

I then switched over my weapon set and went invisible for 3 seconds. With those 3 seconds I was able to make it back around another corner, heal up, and then get to safety.

So awesome. Also the WvWvW trebuchets sound epic. And the keeps and such sound epic. It all sounds epic. I want this game!

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    I played GW 1 when it first came out... haven't played since and am starting to get excited for GW2.

So we can apparently completely -level- a keep. Destroy it to its foundations, possibly.

What about when you take over the area? Can you rebuild it :<?

Arthil wrote:
    So we can apparently completely -level- a keep. Destroy it to its foundations, possibly.

What about when you take over the area? Can you rebuild it :<?

I'd imagine keeps and whatnot stay leveled until one side is victorious.

• XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Well you can capture and upgrade keeps, I don't see why you couldn't rebuild one.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    They mentioned that building an Asura BattleMech(tm) would require materials. the easy way to balance that is to have it require a LOT of materials. Like... if one person did nothing but gather materials for, say, a day or two, they could build one Mech. Yes, building a bunch of them would be insanely overpowered, but it would also require an insane amount of effort. Especially when you consider that the map "resets" every two weeks, probably resetting your gathering totals to zero as well.

The natural conclusion from that is that players can rebuild structures using materials as well. Of course, that's the kind of pie-in-the-sky thing I often say, only to be disappointed by things like development time and technological limits. (We haven't seen anything get rebuild on the Khylo map.) But it sure would be cool! Or you can wait two weeks until the "round" ends and you get rematched with new world opponents. I suspect that all structures will rebuild at that point, no matter what.

26904.png
    We'd never see anything be rebuilt on the Battle for Khylo map, anyway. It's a 'battleground' sort of PvP rather than the open kind.

• NeliNeli Registered User regular
    The world vs world stuff sounds like everything WAR's RvR zones failed to live up to. I'm really looking forward to it

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    They said in the interview you have to pay resources to build them, so I imagine repairs/rebuilding, etc. will all be a part of that.

• Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote:
    Just a quick update: Seeing as Beta is now on the horizon and this thread's a little over a year old and fast approaching 100 pages, I will soon be making a new thread to facilitate the transition from hype-train to beta to release, and from there we may or may not do like WoW and SWTOR do and split threads; I don't envision that happening but the need might come up for at least a separate PvP thread to facilitate World and Structured PvP planning. We'll use this main thread for chat and general stuff as well as PA guild stuff and go from there.

It took us a year to go through one hundred pages? Where is all our hype?!?!

I think it's because we don't tolerate shitposting as much as say, the Something Awful forums.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Toothy wrote:
    They said in the interview you have to pay resources to build them, so I imagine repairs/rebuilding, etc. will all be a part of that.

You also need to pay resources to maintain defenses or something like that because apparently you can starve out a keep by denying them resources.

Arthil wrote:
    I think it's because we don't tolerate shitposting as much as say, the Something Awful forums.

That, and there have been frequent bouts of little to no info to discuss in the interims between gaming events and development milestones when they were busy making the game. That's set to change now that the reins of beta are being passed first to the press with a more relaxed NDA then SWTOR's beta had and will be able to report on the game in depth, followed by the eager masses.

488W936.png
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Things are moving forward and excitement is mounting! After doing my beta of TOR and then being drug into release of TOR by a friend who purchased the copy for me to play with him, I am now 30 days done with TOR and waiting patiently for GW2.

50433.png?1708759015
    I mean.

I like TOR, it's a heavily WoW styled game with a story that is actually entertaining. I'll likely continue to play even after GW2 comes out, at least for a time.

• TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    The summer season is starting to look pretty good right about now. When @Stupid was talking about BattleMechs, I had assumed it was the Elite-skill version. Completely missed the bigger variants of them, and those sound awesome as well.

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    This game looks so perfect that if it fucks up I will beat someone with a rubber chicken. With a cement block in it.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    That is a lot of hundreds of people.

Considerably more hundreds than I expected.

9KmX8eN.jpg
    Kadoken wrote:
    This game looks so perfect that if it fucks up I will beat someone with a rubber chicken. With a cement block in it.

Failure is not an option, at least for me. If GW2 flops in any significant fashion I will be immensely surprised and disappointed and probably give up on the MMO genre altogether and stick to other multiplayer mediums to enjoy the living internets and all their hyperbole.

488W936.png
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote:
    Failure is not an option, at least for me. If GW2 flops in any significant fashion I will be immensely surprised and disappointed and probably give up on the MMO genre altogether and stick to other multiplayer mediums to enjoy the living internets and all their hyperbole.

This is how I feel, too. It's not like ToR is a bad game or anything, but it just feels like all the "magic" of the genre has been sucked out of it.

Maybe it's a function of these games trying to make Texas$ by appealing to everyone...and then really appealing to no one.

It's why I, despite never having played GW, am looking to GW2. I want them to do things "not everyone is going to like".

• steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote:
    Kadoken wrote:

The 'standard' MMO model is basically dead to me (RIFT being my last hurrah, which is probably the best 'standard' MMO out there I'd say). If GW2 fails that's basically it for me when it comes to MMORPGs. The Secret World may tempt me back slightly, but I'll be ignoring most everything else unless it does something new/interesting or at least is a not a wow/EQ model MMO (ie Planetside 2).

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Yeah I'm trying not to get swayed by the sweet promises this game is whispering into my ear but it's hard. In my experience MMO's promise a lot and then only deliver on half (or less) of those promises. However, everything looks so solid in GW2 that even if they did only launch with half the stuff they've been talking about it still looks like it'd be a really solid MMO.

I absolutely can't wait for World vs World either. I have been wanting big, epic battles like this ever since I had a taste of it in DAoC. I was hoping WAR would deliver on that but NOPE. So now I'm hoping GW2 will 8->

The way they spoke about the visceral qualities of the artillery and effects on the battlefield and the awesome sounding siege weapons really made me want to dive right into that and start skirmishing with people.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    i hope they dont go overboard with the siegeing, in daoc when they put in the new frontiers it turned so much of it into boring stare at your screen shittyness while people sat around flinging trebs etc at each other

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    I keep wondering how the players are going to find a way to ruin this game, especially WvW. :(

• ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    Really, I just can't wait to play a game where the PVP doesn't devolve into "I got my points/I finished my dailies/I did my ten arena matches; I'm done now." I want a game where fighting other players is fun and one of the objectives.

Nobody pulls this shit with FPS games. "Ugh, I logged online and they're all fighting me! I just want my two wins so I can go elsewhere!" It's what has me so excited just for the lobby of servers you'll be able to pick through. I only got into PVP at the insistence of one of my friends in WoW. As I've learned the PVP mindset, I just grew more and more annoyed with it's set up in current MMOs.

Even if the rest of this game bombs, I'll be in six different guilds with PA folks, real world friends, and playing matches for a long time coming. I bet this game will keep the following GW1 had, and I look forward to playing a game with a community again.