As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Collecting] We CAN have nice things!

FlayFlay Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Social Entropy++
Young me wanted three things more than anything in the world: a secret passage, to be an ankylosaurus and to have a hoard of treasure to call my own. Now that I'm older, I figure I can have at least one of those three things.

I don't collect anything exclusive, rather I'm just looking to acquire things that are cool or interesting or aesthetically pleasing. My collection kicked off about two years ago, when my dad and step-mum went to Venice over christmas, and I when he got back I was lucky that he brought with him one of these:

sl4efm.jpg

The second thing came about a year later, when I couldn't think of anything to ask for for my birthday, and ended up asking for a skull, not really expecting my parents to find anything. But lo and behold, the next time I turned up at my dad's place this was wating for me in a big plastic bag:

23s6h7a.jpg

It now hangs on my wall to greet anyone who enters my bedroom. Skulls are really interesting objects (at least to me) and they make great drawing references to boot, but even so if most people found a skull while hiking, they would probably leave it alone. But, since it was already pretty clean I instead decided to take it home, sterilize and clean it myself and ended up with this as a really neat desk ornament:

kcxr34.jpg

y2bg5.jpg

I'm not actually sure which animal it's from. I think it's perhaps a possum or a large rat, but I don't know how to figure it out for sure. If anyone can tell, please let me know! Apart from that, I'm also a sucker for hard-to-find games, though I only have a few, my best find so far being a collectors edition of Shadow of the Colossus. I don't like to buy any off the net though, because that's no fun.

My pile of treasure is as of yet meagre, but it is growing! I'm looking in to getting a pair of aviation goggles from a military surplus store in the city for Christmas, and who knows what next. So, now that I've revealed myself as a skully hoarding weirdo, what do you guys collect? Comics? Toys? Ornamental doorknobs? Post your stuff!

Flay on

• Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've got a few old dimes. Canadian dimes have the blue nose on them, but I got an old one with a rabbit, and an old one with a fish. I might another kind, but I don't exactly keep them handy. I like the rabbit one because the coin isn't a circle, it has corners on it!

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I can't post a picture, but today I procured a Pac-Man plushy.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I am stupidly jealous of your skulls. I have that in big bold writing on my Christmas list this year. I am thinking of cutting the list down to just be ANY ANIMAL SKULL (except for my pet cats please don't kill honey)

Kochikens on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I collect post cards kind of

I ask people to send them to me if they go somewhere neat

my favourite kind are ones where animals are captioned saying something in a foreign language. I've got maybe 6 of those, the first being a cow speaking dutch.

#pipe on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I collect souls

shangtsung.jpg
    You're next!

Goose! on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i collect sexy

i keep it all

right here

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Seriously if anyone comes across a postcard with an animal speaking a language other than english, send it to me!

#pipe on
  • Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yessssss, I love Venetian masks. Especially when you get a blank one and make your own designs.

EidolonOrpheus on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I collect pictures of naked women, mainly.

Also I collect pokemon. Gotta catch em all!

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    dang that mask is friggin cool

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Kochikens wrote: »
    I am stupidly jealous of your skulls. I have that in big bold writing on my Christmas list this year. I am thinking of cutting the list down to just be ANY ANIMAL SKULL (except for my pet cats please don't kill honey)

Kochi if I find another one I can send you a skull. Although there might be customs issues with that blarg.

Flay on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ALLtheJLstuff.jpg

(photbagel being fiercely retarded)

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Oh also I have a handmade wooden frog from Borneo when my sister-in-law went

I like collecting foreign things, mainly from Asia

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I have to go to a Masquerade Ball on New Years Eve

Flay give me your mask.

#pipe on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Flay wrote: »
    Kochikens wrote: »

Kochi if I find another one I can send you a skull. Although there might be customs issues with that blarg.

Yeah :<

I was gonna buy an alligator skull while I was in Florida, but I was like, damn, customs will destroy me and make me its woman

Kochikens on
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I collect dust

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I collect baseball cards, but I'm not super serious about it

thanimations on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i want to get a human skull so I can talk to it

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    #pipe wrote: »
    I have to go to a Masquerade Ball on New Years Eve

Flay give me your mask.

It will cost you your soul. I collect those too.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Raneados wrote: »

I would do this for real

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i like zippos. here's my niftier ones

2ui9q37.jpg

from left to right: National Security Agency lighter, Presidential Helicopter Squadron lighter (thanks mr. embarkation!), and a yeungling lighter

I have a few more scattered around my place, and the one i mainly use has "BFF NG + AM" engraved on it

also, i wish i kept my comics and junk more organized, but its just scattered all over the place, so i have no clue how much i have. I did do a quick count and realized i have 11 longboxes of single issues, not organized in the least D:

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mask I painted:
    mask.jpg?t=1290403281
    Terribad photo of 5 masks in my immediate vicinity.
    masks.jpg?t=1290403360

EidolonOrpheus on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm working on a dvd collection, and my video game collection is getting pretty massive. I just never get rid of them, so now both are well into the hundreds.

Last I checked I had about three hundred physical copies of video games and that was about a year ago. No downloads (legal) included.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    oh my gosh, that leftmost mask in the second photo will haunt my nightmares, EidolonOrpheus

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I would do this for real

Ditto, sans the talking.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Flay wrote: »

I would do this for real

Ditto, sans the talking.

talking to it is the best part!

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I really like that first mask in the OP

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    who wants to buy my skull

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    no i would talk to it

maybe hide him when company comes over

toss him at children

Raneados on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've started a collection of books, mainly art books, which are mainly pin-up collections. It is pretty small but I will take pictures. I also own several 2 dollar bills, one of which I recieved as change from a native American so it must be special.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Jordyn wrote: »
    ALLtheJLstuff.jpg

(photbagel being fiercely retarded)

That is a lot of Justice League.

(All of it.)

Flay on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That picture is like 5 years old, actually. I have more now.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    it's totally true

i saw it yesterday

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There is a store in seattle that sells human skulls.

They also have a preserved corpse. His name is sylvester.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I am not big on collecting things. I mean I buy books and games and movies and stuff cause I like them but at heart I am bit of a packrat that hates being one so I tend to give away/throw out a lot of stuff.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've got about 69 movies on Blu-Ray, and a shit-ton of video games, but I'd hardly say they are collections. I just don't like to get rid of them because one day I may want to watch/play them again. Of course I do have a few collector's editions of things, so there's that. Collector's Editions include: Bioshock 2, Arkham Asylum, Halo 2, Halo 3 Legendary, and Halo Reach Limited. Blu-Ray movies include Anchorman "Rich Mahogany Edition", Batman Anthology, The Matrix (Digibook), and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I also have a bonus disc with The Evil Dead that kind of disappeared after about a month of the movie being available.(I'm not including Disney BD+DVD sets, although I do have a Steelbook for Snow White)

Jordyn: Is that all DCAU, or just DC in general? The only thing I'm spotting that I'm not sure of is Ace from the Krypto cartoon. Also, give me all of your Batman DVDs.

EDIT: Also want to start a Criterion Collection. So far I only have The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Vivre Sa Vie.

Sir Platypus on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    everyone in my family collects some kind of decoration for the holidays.

i collect nutcrackers.

i've got like fuckin 18.

also i USED to collect gold goddamn wrestling medals.

and a few silvers and one bronze but those are fucking loser medals and were not worthy of display so they're in a box somewhere.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    2 things is a collection?

right now I'm collecting the shit of out xbox controllers on my desk.

ascot on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    metz you can just BUY medals

I myself am a championship-level snooker player and racecar driver

Raneados on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    my vinyl collection is up to about 300 now

everything from waits to the blues brothers to miles davis to public enemy

i think the most i've spent was $50 for sandanista!

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg