As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Magic: The Gathering- Cards flippin and floppin all over

• DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Right! I've been out of town in the bush for work and I lost track of what date it is...lol...

Diorinix on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just got back from a draft, and I basically picked up
    --Quicksilver Gargantuan
    --Liege of the Tangle
    --Alpha Tyrranax
    --Clone Shell
    --Sky-Eel School
    --Ezuri + Copperhorn Scouts + Ezuri's Archers

and a fun early game combo,
    2x Necrogen Censer
    2x Thrummingbird.

that was my first draft, it was pretty fun.

Lucedes on
    edited December 2010
    Well, it's official. SotF out, but the surprising one is Time Spiral is in.

Diorinix on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I've decided that I'd like to build a Commander deck. I'd like it to be red and blue, with possibly another color thrown in. Naturally, my first step was to select a general. I looked through Gatherer and found these:

Jhoira
    Niv-Mizzet
    Intet, the Dreamer
    Numot, the Devastator
    Tibor and Lumia

All of which seem like they would be decent generals. I'm disinclined to use Jhoira because she seems kind of cheap. Tibor and Lumia don't seem terribly great. The other three seem like they'd be fun without seeming too unfair.

Which of them would you recommend? Also, what obvious cards would I be stupid not to include? I'm sort of divided, as on the one hand I want to throw in every fun card I have from those colors, but on the other hand that's never really worked for my regular decks so I doubt it would work here.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to mention that I'm cheap. Please don't suggest super expensive cards.

Terrendos on
  • Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Terrendos wrote: »
    So I've decided that I'd like to build a Commander deck. I'd like it to be red and blue, with possibly another color thrown in. Naturally, my first step was to select a general. I looked through Gatherer and found these:

Jhoira
    Niv-Mizzet
    Intet, the Dreamer
    Numot, the Devastator
    Tibor and Lumia

All of which seem like they would be decent generals. I'm disinclined to use Jhoira because she seems kind of cheap. Tibor and Lumia don't seem terribly great. The other three seem like they'd be fun without seeming too unfair.

Which of them would you recommend? Also, what obvious cards would I be stupid not to include? I'm sort of divided, as on the one hand I want to throw in every fun card I have from those colors, but on the other hand that's never really worked for my regular decks so I doubt it would work here.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to mention that I'm cheap. Please don't suggest super expensive cards.

You'll want a few counterspells(To stop people from going infinite and such) and some sweepers like pyroclasm and firesprout along with dubious amounts of card drawing. Mana fixing is awesome and you should look for artifacts that do that for you. Other than that, go wild. Throw in whatever you want and run with it.

Cynic Jester on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Numot is pretty cheap, as in unfair. Niv-Mizzet sort of combined with Curiosity or Ophidian Eye, but it's entirely up to you to include it. He's fine with or without the combo, since he's the target of many removal spells anyway. Mindmoil and Teferi's Puzzle Box are less cheap and activate Niv-Mizzet's pinging abillity all the same.

EDH is all about politics. With a U/R deck, you don't want to antagonize people too much, since you lack the explosiveness other decks have. Be passive and only interfere when it affects you or to gain an advantage by helping people. Opponent sends a fatty your way? Capsize. Opponent has a dominating board? Evacuation. Opponent points a Mind Twist at you? MOTHERFUCKING COUNTERSPELL.

There are lots of cards that let you gain allies, at least for a while. Mana Flare, Helm of Awakening, Prosperity. There are lots of cards that let you gain enemies too. Mindslaver is a prime example. Above all else, don't attract unwanted attention and piss people off when you don't have to. Unless you're winning of course.

You should find room for some all-purpose cards. Card draw (Tidings, Opportunity, Careful Consideration), recursion (Izzet Chronarch, Mnemonic Wall, Nucklavee), steal effects (Volition Reins, Confiscate, Mind Control). Counterspells are up to you. You don't have to play them unless some dick plays Mind Twist. Some people don't and get by fine. Planeswalkers are awesome, but aren't mandatory.

That said, here are some neat EDH interactions, some more fun than others. Thieves' Auction + Brand. Reins of Power + Goblin Bombardment. Fire/Ice + Radiate. Kiki-Jiki + Intruder Alarm. Any pinger + Charisma and possibly Goblin Bombardment. Junktroller/Spin Into Myth + Tunnel Vision.

Good luck!

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My opinions of the above mentioned generals.

Jhoira: If you want to be the first person to die every EDH game, then play Jhoira. It's really fun to suspend Insurrection for 3 but the problem is that for three turns everyone at the table will be against you.

Niv-Mizzet: The most cut and dry and the UR generals. There are a bunch of Niv lists out there you can refer to in order to get started. There is probably already a Niv Mizzet deck somewhere in your playgroup though.

Intet the Dream: Probably the most fun out of all your generals. U and R give you plenty of shenanigans and G gives you the Regrowth effects and the mana ramp to abuse them. One of my most favorite EDH games ever was against an Intet the Dreamer storm deck. He set up a whole bunch of mana and politically attacked people all over the board to set up storm cards for free, then killed us all with Minds Desire. It was sweet.

Numot: People don't like land destruction. But this color combination gives you all the tricks of U and R with all the sweepers of White.

Tibor and Lumia: Noooooope.

B.C. on
    Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    B.C. wrote: »
    My opinions of the above mentioned generals.

Jhoira: If you want to be the first person to die every EDH game, then play Jhoira. It's really fun to suspend Insurrection for 3 but the problem is that for three turns everyone at the table will be against you.

Niv-Mizzet: The most cut and dry and the UR generals. There are a bunch of Niv lists out there you can refer to in order to get started. There is probably already a Niv Mizzet deck somewhere in your playgroup though.

Intet the Dream: Probably the most fun out of all your generals. U and R give you plenty of shenanigans and G gives you the Regrowth effects and the mana ramp to abuse them. One of my most favorite EDH games ever was against an Intet the Dreamer storm deck. He set up a whole bunch of mana and politically attacked people all over the board to set up storm cards for free, then killed us all with Minds Desire. It was sweet.

Numot: People don't like land destruction. But this color combination gives you all the tricks of U and R with all the sweepers of White.

Tibor and Lumia: Noooooope.

How's Australia?

Pinfeldorf on
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    From Kotaku:

It Takes A Wizard To Steal $45,000 Worth Of Magic Cards
    Kotaku wrote:
    A former Wizards of the Coast employee from Burien, Washington stands to lose a lot more than his job as King County prosecutors file felony theft charges over the theft of $45,000 worth of rare Magic: The Gathering cards.

Twenty-six-year-old Donald J. Henry has been accused of the massive theft after a fellow employee observed a vendor trying to sell the rare cards at a Magic tournament in Portland, Oregon this past September. The employee determined that the vendor and Henry were acquainted and reported the incident to the company.

Henry was hired on at Wizards of the Coast's Renton headquarters in December of 2009, fired in September when an investigation into the incident was launched. The investigation found that during his brief employment Henry had made 70 trips to a storage locker the company uses to hold rare promotional cards - far more than his job description warranted.

A meeting with members of the Wizards of the Coast staff led to Henry's store owner acquaintance returning some 1,753 remarkable cards with an estimated market value of $44,828.

Henry has been charged with fist-degree theft, having admitted to stealing more than 200 of the rare cards returned to the company. Prosecutors seek to prove that he stole the whole lot.

The moral of this story? There is no good reason to dual-class as both a Wizard and a Rogue.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Some info on Mirrodin Besieged cards is starting to trickle out. cant wait for more spoilers. i think this set will be a lot better than scars was (at least scars was a pretty big let down to me)

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So, my brother-in-law got me a Deadspread intro deck and a few booster packs, cause he wants to introduce me to the game and wants to have a few games here and there.

I want to grab a few more booster packs to add to my deck, but I'm not exactly sure which to get and where to get em.

First, is there an online retailer (preferably Canadian) that I can use to get cards at a good price? I found thegameshop.ca that has booster packs for about $3.95, but I'm not sure how much shipping would sting. I'm just going to assume that online retailers are going to have slightly better prices than say, a comic book shop.

Also, what's the best product to buy? Booster packs? Fat packs? Booster boxes?

Lastly, how do I know what kind of booster packs to grab? The deck I have now seems to be focused a lot of -1/-1 counters, proliferate, and artifacts. (Island/Swamp)

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Figgy,

1. Online retailers will be okay. I'm not sure about Canada, but in the US booster packs will be cheaper online, but only by about enough for the shipping cost to break even. You can try StarCityGames I guess, but there may be better ones out there. I don't buy my cards online.

2. Booster packs are a low investment but they're a crapshoot on whether you'll get something you want. Fat packs are more expensive but they have some things a beginner might find handy. Booster boxes are usually the best "deal" but they're kind of a big investment.

3. For that deck, you're going to have the most luck buying Scars of Mirrodin packs for now. The Core Set and the other sets available right now aren't going to have much in the way of any of those three things, because Mirrodin, the "setting" for those cards, is way more artifact heavy (it's a plane entirely of metal) than any other place. -1/-1 counters aren't big in most other sets, and proliferate and infect are mechanics new to Scars of Mirrodin.

4. There are lots of places where you can buy single cards online, so if there's something specific you want you can get it without having to buy boosters until you find it. Just make sure to shop around, because there can be quite a bit of discrepancy from online retailer to online retailer.

Terrendos on
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I would actually recommend buying cards at a local department store, if you have that option. A Fat Pack of Scars of Mirrodin would be a good investment, since it has a booklet of every card in the set. You can cruise around the book and find cards you like and try to get them, either by buying online or buying/trading from folks at your FLGS.

Pinfeldorf on
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    dav3yb wrote: »
    Some info on Mirrodin Besieged cards is starting to trickle out. cant wait for more spoilers. i think this set will be a lot better than scars was (at least scars was a pretty big let down to me)

Are we allowed to show information for future releases? I mean like pictures, stats, or links to said information?

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Turkson wrote: »
    Are we allowed to show information for future releases? I mean like pictures, stats, or links to said information?
    I don't think we've ever had a problem before. I mean as long as you haven't broken into the FFL pit and stolen a bunch of playtest copies or something....

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Turkson wrote: »
    I don't think we've ever had a problem before. I mean as long as you haven't broken into the FFL pit and stolen a bunch of playtest copies or something....

Even if you have, post. :P

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I would guess it's the zombie chick and the other one from the promo-posters for the pre-release.

E.Coyote on
  • devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think I mentioned it before, but one of my local shop guys says Elspeth is going to be huge this set.

As in buy them now.

I'm taking a gamble and I bought 2, we shall see...

That new ornithopter looks pretty boss, at least in limited.

deveric on
  • StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    deveric wrote: »
    I think I mentioned it before, but one of my local shop guys says Elspeth is going to be huge this set.

As in buy them now.

Or with time sieve.

Starcross on
    edited December 2010
    Starcross wrote: »

As in buy them now.

Or with time sieve.

Yeah, I think there will be some new breed of steel.dec in extended. I told myself I am done with standard come next block, just too much money to keep up. I'll keep playing EDH though, since that's more fun lately anyways.

deveric on
  • AzegorothAzegoroth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Got myself an early xmas present on the 23rd...
    Bought one booster of M11, and one of mirrodin. Pulled out Grave Titan and Molten-Tail Masticore

Azegoroth on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I would actually recommend buying cards at a local department store, if you have that option. A Fat Pack of Scars of Mirrodin would be a good investment, since it has a booklet of every card in the set. You can cruise around the book and find cards you like and try to get them, either by buying online or buying/trading from folks at your FLGS.

I found the scars fat pack at walmart for 40 and a local comic shop sells 5 boosters for 20 taxes in, compared to five and change plus 13% tax everywhere else I've seen. Almost as cheap as getting a box for 125+

Edit: they're also apparently doing a Buy 2 Get 1 on singles for this week. Think I'll put together my "ideal deck," see what im missing, and pick those up.

Two more questions: what's the general consensus on card protectors? Are there some out there that don't make them hard to use? Are card sleeves allowed in tournaments?

Also, what's a good resource for lookin at decks/tips/etc? Just the official site?

Figgy on
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh, Battlecry looks like fun for weenie decks.

And yeah, I was talking about Glissa, the Traitor. I didn't even look at her long text ability. I'm more interested in having a 3/3 First Striker/Deathtouch elf.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

I found the scars fat pack at walmart for 40 and a local comic shop sells 5 boosters for 20 taxes in, compared to five and change plus 13% tax everywhere else I've seen. Almost as cheap as getting a box for 125+

Edit: they're also apparently doing a Buy 2 Get 1 on singles for this week. Think I'll put together my "ideal deck," see what im missing, and pick those up.

Two more questions: what's the general consensus on card protectors? Are there some out there that don't make them hard to use? Are card sleeves allowed in tournaments?

Also, what's a good resource for lookin at decks/tips/etc? Just the official site?

Card sleeves are expected in tournaments.

As for resources for decks, www.channelfireball.com and www.starcitygames.com are two of the bigger article sites around. The mtgsalvation forums also tend to be decent provided you look at info and not posts. So many terrible posters.

Cynic Jester on
    edited December 2010
    Is there a specific type of sleeve that is widely used, or are they all pretty much the same?

Figgy on
    edited December 2010
    Pretty much the same, although I know some folks have mentioned having problems with the lotus sleeves being cut to different lengths. I grabbed the five mana symbol ones and they look pretty spiffy. The magic the gathering site has a visual spoiler guide for the last few sets that you might want to check out as well. It's still worth getting the fat packs though, for the art on the land cards specific to the sets rather than nabbing a deck building kit.

I'd also suggest looking at starcity or one of the other sites, the prices in your area are a bit high, the wallmart price on fat packs is $5 higher than the one near me., and $10 more than starcity.

E.Coyote on
    edited December 2010
    E.Coyote wrote: »
    Pretty much the same, although I know some folks have mentioned having problems with the lotus sleeves being cut to different lengths. I grabbed the five mana symbol ones and they look pretty spiffy. The magic the gathering site has a visual spoiler guide for the last few sets that you might want to check out as well. It's still worth getting the fat packs though, for the art on the land cards specific to the sets rather than nabbing a deck building kit.

I'd also suggest looking at starcity or one of the other sites, the prices in your area are a bit high, the wallmart price on fat packs is $5 higher than the one near me., and $10 more than starcity.

Keep in mind I'm in Canada, so when you say you five dollars less, that's more or less the exchange/region different anyway. The 39.99 fat pack price is the same at all local places that I checked into. There is an online retailer in Canada that sells for 34.99, but shipping would more than negate that price difference.

The price to ship to me from Starcity would be even worse. There were a few other US sites I checked out as well that had pretty ridiculous shipping rates. I then have to take into account that I'd likely pay duty on whatever I import, which would be even worse.

Aside from the fat pack price, I don't see why $4 taxes in for a booster (as long as I buy 5 at a time :P) is so bad. I'll look into the the deck sleeves, though.

Just finishing opening the boosters/fatpack I picked up today and got a Mox Opal!

Figgy on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SleevesDragonShieldRed.jpg

Highly recommended. Ultra Pro, not so much.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited December 2010
    Figgy wrote: »

Keep in mind I'm in Canada, so when you say you five dollars less, that's more or less the exchange/region different anyway. The 39.99 fat pack price is the same at all local places that I checked into. There is an online retailer in Canada that sells for 34.99, but shipping would more than negate that price difference.

The price to ship to me from Starcity would be even worse. There were a few other US sites I checked out as well that had pretty ridiculous shipping rates. I then have to take into account that I'd likely pay duty on whatever I import, which would be even worse.

Aside from the fat pack price, I don't see why $4 taxes in for a booster (as long as I buy 5 at a time :P) is so bad. I'll look into the the deck sleeves, though.

Just finishing opening the boosters/fatpack I picked up today and got a Mox Opal!

Ahh, ignore me then hehe. Grats on the opal. *grin*

Have you looked into ebay at all? My brother nabbed a playset(4x) of all the common scars cards for $14.

p.s. the first fat pack I ever opened had a garruk, lilliana ves, and a foil baby jace. =P

E.Coyote on
    edited December 2010
    I'm I correct in that there is no point in buying a fat pack once you've already purchased one in the set? $40 for 8 boosters and a pack of basic land (comes to around 45 after tax) or I can get 10 boosters for 40 flat.

Figgy on
    edited December 2010
    Personally, I get fat packs from the sets that have cool looking art on them. The boxes themselves are good at holding 3 deck boxes + extra cards.

Diorinix on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
    edited December 2010
    In personal experience, Fat Packs have yielded better results for me in the past. 2 Jaces, Gideon, Elspeth, Mox Opal, Primeval Titan, 2 Baneslayers (in m10).

deveric on
    edited December 2010
    In personal experience, Fat Packs have yielded better results for me in the past. 2 Jaces, Gideon, Elspeth, Mox Opal, Primeval Titan, 2 Baneslayers (in m10).

Well, unless the boosters in Fat Packs aren't completely random...

In related news, found a set of 4 x common and 4 x uncommon of Scars as well as 2011. About $50 plus shipping. Good idea? Bad idea?

Figgy on
    edited December 2010
    For 240 uncommons and 404 commons...not a terrible deal. ~ $0.08 a card.

Diorinix on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

i've yet to have any issues with any of the "artsy" ultra pro sleeves, but i have had several issues with the normal solid color'd sleeves. i ended up buying 4, 50-count packs and 2 of the packs were cut different lengths from the other 2. later after buying a pack of 100-count sleeves, and BOTH packs in that one being cut differently, i ordered a ton of a single kind of sleeve, the black lotus art ones. so far, even though some of them are cut differently, its such a slight difference that its hard to notice when you're shuffling or playing.

i ordered 6 packs of the 80-count originally, and ive ordered 4 more which hopefully will get here tomorrow, but for the most part i think they take a bit more care in the sleeves with art on them.

i think KMC might have the current best quality control on sleeves. ive heard mostly good things about dragon shield too, but every time i wanted to order them, no one had any on stock. at least the black ones.

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
    edited December 2010
    Where can I go for deck builds that aren't using cards I'll likely never own? I've got a large number of cards from Scars and some from recent sets, so I'd like to put together a few decent decks for when friends come over and want to play, but don't have their own deck.

I don't have the multiple rares/mythics that most of these decks I'm seeing online call for. I've got a healthy mix though, from a Scars fat pack, about 26 boosters, a deck building kit, and a few assorted boosters.

Figgy on
    edited December 2010
    The essential magic site has a large library of decks and combos, it's linked from the op. You can search specific cards and see what decks people use them in. For casual play the templates the theme decks use are a pretty good place to start. Infect, Proliferate, Mirran Artifacts, Relic Breaker, etc.

p.s. elves is fun if you have the cards for it. ~.~

E.Coyote on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    dav3yb wrote: »

i've yet to have any issues with any of the "artsy" ultra pro sleeves, but i have had several issues with the normal solid color'd sleeves. i ended up buying 4, 50-count packs and 2 of the packs were cut different lengths from the other 2. later after buying a pack of 100-count sleeves, and BOTH packs in that one being cut differently, i ordered a ton of a single kind of sleeve, the black lotus art ones. so far, even though some of them are cut differently, its such a slight difference that its hard to notice when you're shuffling or playing.

i ordered 6 packs of the 80-count originally, and ive ordered 4 more which hopefully will get here tomorrow, but for the most part i think they take a bit more care in the sleeves with art on them.

i think KMC might have the current best quality control on sleeves. ive heard mostly good things about dragon shield too, but every time i wanted to order them, no one had any on stock. at least the black ones.

Think I've said this before, but the disadvantage to "artsy" sleeves is that a judge will make you rearrange your entire deck so they're all facing the same way. With single color sleeves you're a lot less likely to get hassled about potentially stacking your deck at tournaments.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Think I've said this before, but the disadvantage to "artsy" sleeves is that a judge will make you rearrange your entire deck so they're all facing the same way. With single color sleeves you're a lot less likely to get hassled about potentially stacking your deck at tournaments.

Maybe it's the anal retentive in me speaking, but who on earth would put cards into sleeves upside down? Judge or no judge, I'd find it innately suspicious if someone had a bunch of cards sleeved as "top-loaders" and a bunch sleeved as "bottom-loaders".

That's just crazy.

Over the years I've accumulated a pretty massive collection of sleeves, and while I admittedly only play once in a while, when I do the shuffling is thorough and the many, many games go into the wee hours of the morning, and I've only ever had a sleeve break when it was a really shitty type. Material was too thin, jointing of the front and back was shoddy, etc. I see a lot of people shuffle by cramming half of their deck into the other half from the top, and imagine this must cause them untold amounts of grief with damaged sleeves, but I've got some from literally a decade ago that are still holding up pretty well under use and re-sleeving of new/altered decks.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Forar, I think he means arranged so the backs of the sleeves are facing the same way.

But that doesn't really answer the question either; I too am having trouble determining how I would even get tot he point where sleeves were the wrong way up in my deck...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.