As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Best Korea and Dear Leader's Howitzers

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Scooter wrote: »
    Kworn wrote: »
    HomeFront

Homefront is going to be an awesome game

I don't care how good the game itself is, I don't think I could play something that ridiculous.

I mean, "2018: Japan volunteers to join the Greater Korean Republic"? How on Earth is that any way believable? It'd be like us deciding to let Mexico run North America for a while.

maybe it's a riff on Japan's WWII pretense that all of east asia was just hurrying to join the greater east-asian co-prosperity sphere, tossing out their previous western colonial masters

(yes, that was a real thing)

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I can't stop looking at that picture of Best Korea in the OP. The idyllic countryside with clean air and green fields, there's something ... not right. Is it my Western brain full of conflicting imagery of how a paradise should be or it there something artistically wrong with the drawing?

It's probably the inconsistency between the fore and background. Lush garden at front, dreadscape in the back.

MKR on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ronya wrote: »
    HomeFront

I don't care how good the game itself is, I don't think I could play something that ridiculous.

I mean, "2018: Japan volunteers to join the Greater Korean Republic"? How on Earth is that any way believable? It'd be like us deciding to let Mexico run North America for a while.

maybe it's a riff on Japan's WWII pretense that all of east asia was just hurrying to join the greater east-asian co-prosperity sphere, tossing out their previous western colonial masters

(yes, that was a real thing)

Not only is Japan's imperialism pretty well known overall, I think you're giving the developers too much credit in the area of subtly and a subtle historical jab, and an actual knowledge of the historical precedent still makes it sound even more ridiculous.

I mean, video game writers are not the most subtle group of people. For example, consider that no communist power has ever actually occupied the United States--on the other hand, we've done it at least twice. At yet we're really married to this idea of communist and former-communists stomping all over our Burger Kings (which, to its credit, has produced some fun games).

At the same time, a video game is not necessarily supposed to be a believable recollection of history, but Christ, this one's getting a little wonky.

EDIT: I think this might be wandering off topic as well.

Synthesis on
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    The guy who wrote Red Dawn just got lucky there was a cold war going on at the time, he must be some really old xenophobic asshole to write up Japan and Korea allying.

What's so unrealistic about all them Chinamen teaming up?

Seriously, that's probably as far as the author got.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well in fairness to the writer, its not so much that Japan allies with them as that its conquered and becomes an ally for show and a vassal state in reality.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    HomeFront

I'm not looking forward to it. The story is to ludicrous for me.

Waffles or whatever on
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well in fairness to the writer, its not so much that Japan allies with them as that its conquered and becomes an ally for show and a vassal state in reality.

I got the impression that it worked out kinda like Vichy France, but admittedly I didn't pay all that much attention.

Rhan9 on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rhan9 wrote: »

I got the impression that it worked out kinda like Vichy France, but admittedly I didn't pay all that much attention.

Yeah, North Korea gaining the muscle to beat out Japan and South Korea is pretty unlikely anyway, American economy collapse or not.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ACSIS wrote: »
    He could have said that he didn't have WMDs, because he kept saying that he did to scare Iran, but this is really off topic.

He always denied it. He even let inspectors into his country. Not the behaviour of a man claiming he has WMD. I am sorry, but this is ridiculous, no matter what the FBI has on record. After all that became public about how the USA handles political enemies in prison and how most of them end up in mental institutes because of the form of sensory deprivation employed the record its worthless in any case. They showed him in the news, and i remember very well what a wreck he was after his capture: shaking, barely able to walk on his own.
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    What? He denied having "WMDs" endlessly, right up until the invasion. The inspectors found nothing. He wasn't trying to make anyone think he had anything; are you talking about the 80s or something?

Go read the IEAE report from before the Iraq war. They said they didn't think he had WMDs but couldn't be sure because of limited access and because they were eventually kicked out. Bush lied his face off at the state of the union saying there was evidence of WMDs. This prompted a head weapons inspector to quit a few days after in disgust.

Look I'm not defending our invasion of Iraq. I'm just pointing out that Saddam tried to make it look like he had WMDs to show some strength against Iran. He was playing a double sided game where he had to please the UN/US weapons inspectors enough so we wouldn't impose more sanctions while trying to make it somewhat ambiguous to Iran of the existence of weapons.

The evidence back in 2002 wasn't clear cut. It just looked like he most likely didn't have WMDs. This does not preclude the fact that he was trying to make it look like he might have WMDs. What the weapons reports show and what his intentions were are two separate issues.

As for North Korea I don't think we have the same level of IEAE inspector access as we did to Iraq.

Edit:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/03/world/middleeast/03saddam.html?_r=1&ref=world
    The ousted Iraqi dictator “was more concerned about Iran discovering Iraq’s weaknesses and vulnerabilities than the repercussions of the United States for his refusal to allow U.N. inspectors back into Iraq,”

Edit2: Here are the summaries of the Saddam interrogation interviews:
    http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB279/index.htm

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Yeah, North Korea gaining the muscle to beat out Japan and South Korea is pretty unlikely anyway, American economy collapse or not.

Rough populations:

North Korea: 25 million
    South Korea: 50 million
    Japan: 130 million

Hilarious.

Octoparrot on
    edited November 2010
    Octoparrot wrote: »

Rough populations:

Hilarious.

Not counting South Koreas stragetic brilliance via starcraft and Japan's giant robots.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I can't stop looking at that picture of Best Korea in the OP. The idyllic countryside with clean air and green fields, there's something ... not right. Is it my Western brain full of conflicting imagery of how a paradise should be or it there something artistically wrong with the drawing?

To me it kind of looks like he's selling old fashioned butter.

DanHibiki on
    edited November 2010
    Well, looking at it from a purely numbers and industry standpoint:

24 million North Koreans (the sum of the entire industrial and war-making capacity of the country) versus 49 million South Koreans (the same). Acknowledging that North Korea is the most militarized nation in the world right now.

Now, factoring the inevitable cost of war in human lives and capacity--those two, versus the 128 million Japanese, and an accompanying larger industrial and war-making capacity. It's important to remember, there are a lot more Japanese people than there are Korean people. It's just the nature of reality.

Now, take either the remainder of the Koreans, or the Koreans and Japanese (depending on the terms of Japan's surrender), minus the rising cost in lives, industry and materiel versus 310 million Americans, and, coincidentally, military expenditures equal to or larger than the rest of the world combined and largest economy in the world as well even after a collapse.

Coincidentally, the United States is growing, demographically, faster than any of the aforementioned countries.

So, yeah. Presumably, Homefront 2 will feature North Korea conquering the rest of Earth, the western hemisphere of Mars, the Crab Nebula and the entire galaxy featured in Star Wars. You will play a Martian Freedomfighter opposing the brutal communist occupation, a plot also shared in Battlefield: Bad Company 3 when the Russian Federation (142 million) conquers all of the third and forth dimensions and two-thirds of Imagination Land.

EDIT: Damn, someone else beat me to it.

Synthesis on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yours was more entertaining though.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MKR wrote: »

It's probably the inconsistency between the fore and background. Lush garden at front, dreadscape in the back.
    And the fog in the background looks like poison gas or something.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

edited November 2010

Rough populations:

Hilarious.

Not counting South Koreas stragetic brilliance via starcraft and Japan's giant robots.

Agreed. SK and Japan will have gundams in NK's mineral line by the 3 minute mark.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

edited November 2010

Rough populations:

Hilarious.

Agreed. SK and Japan will have gundams in NK's mineral line by the 3 minute mark.

The problem is China's zergling and baneling rush counters gundams.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited November 2010

Rough populations:

Hilarious.

The plot of Homeland suggests it's a 2v1 match.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

edited November 2010

Rough populations:

Hilarious.

Canada disconnected?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Rough populations:

Hilarious.

Canada disconnected?

Goddamn it Rogers.

The Homefront story seems far-fetched, but not that crazy. It goes on the assumption that
    a) Kim dies, and his son pulls shit together again
    b) nukes!
    c) US collapses

So, assuming NK can ally with SK, and bully Japan into being a vassal... yeah, it's possible. I guess if Japan collapses like the US.

All very unlikely, but it's not like Japan and NK got all buddy-buddy. The wikipedia article says they're a vassal, so there you go.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Rough populations:

Hilarious.

Canada disconnected?

Canada lifted off their base and went to the island expo

Korea's banelings cannot reach them there

override367 on
    edited November 2010

Rough populations:

Hilarious.

Canada disconnected?

Canada is busy being invaded by Monaco.

DanHibiki on
    edited November 2010
    Yours was more entertaining though.

Yeah, but entertaining isn't going to beat the communists when they invade the Magical Land of Oz, is it?

Synthesis on
    edited November 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Rough populations:

Hilarious.

Canada disconnected?

So Homeland 2 will be the remenants of the US fighting off the Monaco Dominion and the Federation of Greater Madagascar huh?

I'm sure the Palauan Empire will come in somewhere.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    HomeFront

My bet is that the original concept was for the Chinese to be the antagonists, but since THQ doesn't want to piss off the Chinese government and have them interfere with their plans in entering the Chinese gaming marketplace, they pressured the designers to change it.

It's either that or whoever came up with this concept is full-on retarded.

Hoz on
    edited November 2010

Rough populations:

Hilarious.

Canada disconnected?

In conjunction with Rwanda. Romeo Delaire became Prime Minister and they decided to "finish the job".

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think introducing yet more friends from Xen would've been more plausible than North Korea, still.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
    edited November 2010
    Hoz wrote: »
    HomeFront

My bet is that the original concept was for the Chinese to be the antagonists, but since THQ doesn't want to piss off the Chinese government and have them interfere with their plans in entering the Chinese gaming marketplace, they pressured the designers to change it.

John Milius, the writer behind it, is kind of a crank, so it's entirely possible that plot is the result of a paranoid fantasy fueled by excessive Four Loko consumption.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

edited November 2010
    HomeFront

John Milius, the writer behind it, is kind of a crank, so it's entirely possible that plot is the result of a paranoid fantasy fueled by excessive Four Loko consumption.

So either the Crysis excuse, or Robert Downey Jr's Character in Tropic Thunder "Full Retard"?

Could be a little of both, and the general lack of creativity in chasing those sweet "Commie blastin'" loot so many video game companies pursue.

Synthesis on
  • CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Rough populations:

Hilarious.

No the real problem is China's vastly superior macro

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The problem with the real life game of starcraft is that everybody has 1700 pop worth of ghosts, nobody has detection worth a damn, and there are so many loaded ghost academies everywhere that nobody can really shoot it out in any scale without everyone losing all of their mineral lines

Really quite a conundrum, like a game of phantom that goes on and on and on

override367 on
    edited November 2010
    DanHibiki on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

3. Every war sim has a "Fog of War" that obscures the map in darkness until units scout the landscape. Well, I want a hazy, brown "Fog of Bullshit" layer below that. I want it to make a village of farmers look like a secret armed militia, I want it to show me a massive enemy fortress where there is actually an aspirin factory. I want to never know for sure which it was, even after the game is over.

ahahahahaha

ObiFett on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    HomeFront

the guy's done some good writing, but yeah he's more for the flourish of the story than actual realism

And nothing in in Homeland is remotely possible c'mon now give your head a shake

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Don't forget NK has the largest military in the world.

Fizban140 on
  • Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sarah Palin weighs in!

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/11/24/palin-north-korea/
    CO-HOST: How would you handle a situation like the one that just developed in North Korea? [...]

PALIN: But obviously, we’ve got to stand with our North Korean allies. We’re bound to by treaty –

CO-HOST: South Korean.

PALIN: Eh, Yeah. And we’re also bound by prudence to stand with our South Korean allies, yes.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They're the most militarised nation in the world (ie they have the highest number of soldiers per capita). Their military is only the fourth or fifth-biggest by number of troops, though (it's about the same size as Russia's. The US's and India's is bigger and China's is twice the size).

His Corkiness on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    That is for active only, if NK was to go to war they could field more troops than any other country. Maybe not all equiped or in shape or anything but it would be around 10 million people.

Fizban140 on
    edited November 2010
    They're the most militarised nation in the world (ie they have the highest number of soldiers per capita). Their military is only the fourth or fifth-biggest by number of troops, though (it's about the same size as Russia's. The US's and India's is bigger and China's is twice the size).

When you consider how small the country is that they're that high up in terms of size is eye opening.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    We could still slaughter them all easily.

Couscous on