As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wurm Online: Notch, creator of Minecraft, co-created this MMO. Now Free to Play!

thorgotthorgot there is special providencein the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in Games and Technology
Once again, free-to-play and premium can live together in harmony! (and disharmony)

Wurm Online

What is Wurm Online? Good question. Before I answer that I just want to say that this game is addictive and very enjoyable.
In a nutshell, Wurm is a life simulator that takes place in a Fantasy/Medieval setting.
Obviously the game is online and because of that it allows many people to work together to achieve many goals.
To be perfectly honest I don't really know how to explain it properly.

Instead of trying, here is a list of some of the things that can be done in Wurm:
-Cut down trees, cut trees to logs, turn logs into shafts/planks or many other usefull tools by
combining the use of tools with different materials.

-Mine for many types of materials including stone for masonry or iron ore and other metals for blacksmithing/weaponsmithing.

-Build a stone or wood house.

-Go hunting for animals to collect meat, body parts for healing covers and leather in order to use for cooking/alchemy/leatherworking.

-Get killed by animals when trying to collect meat, body par.... yeah.

-Dig holes, build mounds, pave roads or otherwise change the actual terrain of the world. Terraform everything.

-Farm for vegetables to be used in cooking, cotton for tailoring and bandages, wemp for ropes and pumpkins for fighting dummies.

-Cook delightful meals to help stave off hunger so that you can work efficiently without having to rest between every few steps.

-Give up on cooking because it sucks to level and mooch off of others. (This is harsh, cooking takes a lot of materials but very little time.)

-Forage for berries, botonize for all sorts of crap, cut sprouts off of trees to plant your favorite type near you.

-Fish for food, butcher the fish and anything else that is near you and dead.

-Become a member of a religion and pray to your god. Eventually become a priest if you want to be gimped and bored to tears. (Not bad for an alt though.)

-Build stone or wood fences, construct gates.

-Build ships and sail the freshwater oceans. (Why is everything freshwater?)

-Experience the joy of time as you watch your prized creations slowly (or in a quick fashion) deteriorate.
There is more that can be done but that would take too much time and I am lazy.

History:

Um, basically we played this a long time ago and then most of us stopped. We had a big town called Arcadia and now it is pretty much ruins. Some people went off to found Mount Awesome and they still play today. Yeah, that is pretty much it in a nutshell.

We had a great migration of some experienced players and a large group of new players to an island at the bottom of the map. This island was the location of Arcadia Bay. When the group reached there we planned on immediately building a small
pirate fortress on a mound by the bay and constructing ships to go raid the Wild server. However, the plan fell apart as people decided to build houses farther inland instead of bunking in the barracks and eventually we reached a sprawling town with a lot of interesting features. Like pirates, we have no real order to our city but in a strange way it ended up working out. Everyone found personal projects to work on and several small boats were built.

Here are some pictures of the town/plantation on the old server:

This is what we called the Mound and it was the heart of our civilization.
mound1.png

A view of the mound from farther away.
lake.png

A picture of the fairly explosive residential area which was in the process of growing.
eastside.png

The plantation ifrom the back side.
plantrear.png

Currently:
Sadly, the server that Arcadia, Mount Awesome, and Arcadia Bay were on was shut down, and non-pvpers were forced to move to a new server, Freedom. There, most PAers remaining in Wurm moved to Akhenaten, a huge village with many like-minded veterans and new players. There, we maintain our own settlement half-way up a mountain and help out with the village's larger goals.

At the moment, it is myself, Zahrkon, LastAndroid, Mouserecoil, Synold, and Tamorlane. Another forumer resides elsewhere on Freedom.

Game information:

What does WurmOnline cost to play?
WurmOnline offers FREE (not trial) basic accounts which basically limit how high you can raise skills and stats (capped at 20 out of 99).
Basic account are limited from certain activities that require higher than 20 in certain stats. Here are certain (but not all) activites that
premium players can do that basic players cannot:

Build stone houses (Requires 30 Masonry, Basic Players can still build wooden houses)
Build larger houses (Requires higher Carpentry)
Terraform paved roads (can terraform dirt roads)
Terraform near roads
Break pavement (requires 21 Body Strength)
Steal (Requires 20.50 Body Control, not possible on Freedom Server)
Attack Other Players (20.5 Body Strength and Soul Strength, not possible on Freedom Server)

Premium player accounts cost EUR €10 (USD$13~15) for either a Two Month Subscription or a One Month Subscription and 5 Silvers of in-game currency. When your premium time expires you do not lose your skill points, but all skill-related checks are basically set at 20 if that skill is over 20. Your skills will not actually decay.

Upon death you suffer minor stat and skill losses which can be regained (at lower levels) with very little effort (around 10-20 minutes of working). Death becomes harsher at higher skill levels.

Akhenaten welcomes both premium playersand free-to-play players. Basic accounts can limit you to not being able to do large projects on your own, but you can still easily contribute to the community, find your own niche, help out on projects and have fun. While with a skillcap of 20 you will not be able to craft high quality items, most tasks are possible with low quality items, and many players will be happy to give you a medium quality item.

New players, please do the tutorial, which is brand new, to get your starter tools. The most important piece is the 50QL Steel and Flint as we can't really make these. You will need this thing until the end of time, try not to lose it. Try not to lose your backpack either, as they are very useful to sort things.
(Thanks Zane)

New players read this:

The user interface is very simple:
1. You move around with the WASD keys.
2. If you right-click on things a menu will pop up with various actions you can perform.
3. If you press F3 you will see your inventory. F2 brings up your current skill levels.
4. If you double-click on an item in your inventory you select that item (a). Then when you right-click on something else (b) you attempt to use a on (b).

Getting to Akhenaten
1. Open Wurm in a window. It's a lot easier to mouse over than alt-tab, and even better if you have two screens.

2. Open the following link in a browser window:

Map

This is the closest you have to a map to Akhenaten. Wurm doesn't really have one. You start near Freedom Market, near the bottom middle of that map. Akhenaten is in the bottom left corner. The full community-made map can be found here. Bookmark both of these maps.

3. Log in and find the Settlement Token (should be within your visual range upon first login) and aim yourself in the right direction. The spawn point has recently been changed to Howl, a point near Freedom Market, and I'm not entirely sure where that is in relation to FM. Find a sign pointing to FM or ask for directions.

4. Check the in-game time by typing the /time command into the chat window. Sunset is around 22:00, and sunrise around 6:00. Wurm is really dark at night, and while there are no grues to eat you, there are spiders and scorpions and bears (oh my) that will fuck your shit up if you so much as look at them funny. While you don't have any better chance of fighting them off in the daylight, you have a much better chance to spot them in the distance and give them a very wide berth. Time passes at 8x the normal rate in Wurm, so if you've got less than four hours of light left, consider how paranoid you want to be during your trek. If you're going to do this, bring down the console (F1) and type in the following:

irc irc.slashnet.org
ircsay /join #wurm_pa

That will join you to the PA Wurm channel. Let them know you're on the way.

5. Start walking towards Akhenaten. X is the autorun button, and also your friend. Pause to read road signs on the way, but you don't really have much to be concerned with until you reach the Cave.

6. Continue through the cave to the south. Turn west (to the right) almost immediately and head along the coast until after crossing the tundra.

7. Do NOT take the road north to Port Akhenaten. Instead, continue heading west along a windy and mountainous trail.

8. Eventually, you will reach a crossroad with Tenakill to the north and Akhenaten to the south. Head left, to the south.

9. You will soon pass by Mount Awesome Memorial, which is where we hang out, and Fedria, which is where our good friend Ecrir hangs out. Continue, you should first visit the main city before being distracted by all the surrounding homesteads.

10. After a slight turn to the right, you should be at the border of Akhenaten. You should be told that you have entered Akhenaten in your Event tab.

12. Ask to be invited. You should already have done this in our IRC channel, but in case you didn't, type your greetings into Local. We will invite you into Akhenaten, which has a small, private forum of its own, and then bring you to MaM to show you around.

13. Profit.

Regarding Items

If a particular item is important to you but you need to leave it somewhere and don't want it taken, label it with your name. Right-Click > Rename. Everyone should follow the honor code that, if you see an item with someone else's name on it, ask them first to borrow it or don't touch it. If an item has no label, it is fair game - you should take it, and you should expect others to take items you make but don't label. This rule also applies to piles of items. If a pile is labeled with someone's name (even if each individual item in the pile isn't), leave that pile alone, as they may be using it for a project or something. On the flip side, if you are making items or piles of items that are free for anyone to take, make sure not to label them so others know they can take them.

Combining Items

Wood scraps stacking up? Stone shards too small? Iron lump need to be a bit bigger? You can combine items in this game buy opening the stack by pressing the little [+] button and clicking one of the items in the stack so that it is in the active bar at the bottom of your inventory. Once that is done, Right-Click the top of the list (the original item text before you expanded it) and choose the combine option. This saves a lot of stress and most new players are completely unaware that this is an option.

(Thanks Peregrine, Rygar and Zane)

Join us!

We could always use more people around the town and slaves are always useful! (That was a joke!)...or was it.

Very useful links:

Wurmpedia - The Wurm Wiki. This has everything you need. Tutorials, skill information and other handy stuff. Use it.

[url=http://noizeviolation.com/wurm/Freedom_map.pngWorld(Server) Map[/url] - This is the map. I already posted a link to it in another section but figured, what the heck?

#wurm_pa on irc.slashnet.org - This is a link to join our IRC channel using mibbit, a web-based IRC client. Most agree that the in-game IRC client is pretty bad, so you should probably use this or some other client.

Important note:
I need to stress to you guys how awesome Raneados is. How awesome? Super awesome.

(Credit to Fonjo, Zanetheinsane, PeregrineFalcon, LastAndroid, Rygar, BigDookie and everyone else who we stole information from. Thanks guys.)

campionthorgotsig.jpg
thorgot on

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So this is... Minecraft the MMO? O.o

KiTA on
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    KiTA wrote: »

If you've ever played Minecraft and thought to yourself, "Man, this would be infinitely better with some sort of inherent need to grind skills," then brother, do I have the game for you.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    And of course the site is down for matinece when I try to make a account.
    Edit: Daggit, to much for my computer to handle.

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Firmus_PiettFirmus_Piett Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I remember I used to play this a while back, had my own winery and everything. Maybe I should get back into it.

Firmus_Piett on
    camo_sig.png

• Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Don't you get me into this again.

Don't you do it.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I quite like how I lost my character because I tried to travel to Arcadia by night without a compass and only enough food and water for a day. Me and my guide died when we were assaulted by gigantic spiders and we couldn't retrieve our bodies.

I have zero motivation to try this game again, but god damn it's amazing survival gaming.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Firmus_PiettFirmus_Piett Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I found the surviving on my own bit much more fun then settling down. I remember wondering around, eating deer eyeballs and meeting people out in the middle of nowhere. I had even met some guy who had a small farm in some really remote coastal area who I offered to work for in return for some rope which I used to catch animals for trading. Was great fun, though once I built my little house I got bored of staying in the same general location for so long.

Firmus_Piett on
    camo_sig.png

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

It's better in some ways and worse in others.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Yeah. You can't create crazy awesome stuff in Wurm like you can in Minecraft. It really is more of a medieval survival simulator. It's also very grindtastic and sometimes quite frustrating.

But at the same time, it's very satisfying to create civilization from nothing but dirt, wood, and rocks.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    citizen059 wrote: »

Yeah. You can't create crazy awesome stuff in Wurm like you can in Minecraft. It really is more of a medieval survival simulator. It's also very grindtastic and sometimes quite frustrating.

But at the same time, it's very satisfying to create civilization from nothing but dirt, wood, and rocks.

Indeed.

The doom bridge Mount Awesome made back on JKH, the now-defunct server:
    wurm200902141614.jpg

And this is essentially wurm.jpg:
    Sharky001Unt11.jpg

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So are free players still capped at 20.00 on skill growth?

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I enjoyed this game for a while. But it makes every action so goddamn tedious. Has the UI been updated at all?

bamjo on
  • Options
    TamorlaneTamorlane Gnnr The Halls of MontezumaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    In the interest of not being sued by various mental health facilities across the globe, the Wurm developer did in fact grind some of the more painful edges off of some of the more legendary grinds.

For instance, failing to correctly tie a rope to a lead boat anchor no longer creates a 20 kg lump of useless lead pulp. And it no longer takes 48 hours to melt iron ore into a usable material.

There is still something oddly compelling about getting your head bashed in by a troll while you are trying to make nails by squeezing glowing hot iron through your fingers.

Or it could just be time for my meds.

Tamorlane on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Yes.
    bamjo wrote: »
    I enjoyed this game for a while. But it makes every action so goddamn tedious. Has the UI been updated at all?

Lots of little improvements. There's a column to show which tool each item can be improved with. Almost everything has a keybind, making the menu irrelevant most of the time if you set up your binds correct. You can shift drag a stack of items to choose how many to move, and you can ctrl click items to select more than one. If you have enough in some skills, you get some extra information when you mouse over tiles (farming tells you about the status of the crop, forestry tells you how old a tree is and if it has a sprout, digging tells you the slope).

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Yes, if you remember the "old days" when paid and free players coexisted on the same server, it's exactly the same.

Tamorlane on
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's x-mas time in Wurm again so you can build creemaz treez and run around in a winter wonderland till you die by troll club. Join in the fun today!

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Arcadia died because we lost interest. I love this game's concept, and wish the EvE people would make something like it. Because boy is there a potential for a medieval sandbox. However, when your town is a bunch of squat tiny houses and you can't aspire to build a second story, or do anything but build useless shit. It gets old. I guess pvp could provide a motivator, but the game needs less grind and more polish.

I remember how there were 50 of us in this unicorn valley being molested by bears and hiding in a 4 tile fenced off area until Cauthon came with the deed and built Arcadia. I vaguely remember Kazhiim having us build a giant stone palace at the top of Arcadia.

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I remember making planks for three hours while talking about Princess Diana conspiracy theories on IRC.

Then I ate a meal out of an abandoned barrel and got booted to wild.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I am just starting this:

mountainprojectsymmetrical2.jpg

at the top of a mountain. I'm not sure if it's going to be a caravel or a cog. Probably a cog because of how the caravel's crow's nest is blocked by the sail on one side.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I remember Bioshock pretty much killing Arcadia. When it came out, it was hard to find more than 3 people around.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    How is the pvp in Wild Server, is it real or not so much?

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Oh your place is in the Freedom server, which appears to be overpopulated with deeds. Nevermind.

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Lady Eri wrote: »
    How is the pvp in Wild Server, is it real or not so much?

There is PvP. People who play on wild seem to enjoy it, but the PvP section on the forums is filled with trolling and angst.

There's lots of trolling and angst in the Freedom sections too, just of a different sort.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I do want to get back into this, but I would need something to keep motivated, and that would be unrestricted pvp. I guess I would have to pay the subscription. Something I would do if others here would join me on Wild.

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    BEARDBEARD Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thorgot, the OP falsely understates the amount of casserole baking in Wurm

BEARD on
  • Options
    ZahrkonZahrkon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    BEARD wrote: »
    Thorgot, the OP falsely understates the amount of casserole baking in Wurm

man i don't think either of us has seen a cassarole in like 2 years, meals are much easier to make and much better nowadays.

Zahrkon on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The main thing I remember about this game (this was at Arcadia Bay) was our attempt to tear down one of Rain's walls in his house with a catapult, lure in a giant scorpion, and rebuild the wall so that Rain would walk in and be met with a wondrous surprise the next time he walked in. Of course, the plan was a disaster and failed spectacularly, mainly because we couldn't get Rain to give us the deed to his house and were unable to rebuild. It was pretty soon after this that I stopped playing IIRC.

It was a fun game, but as others have said, it really needs more incentives to keep you playing once you've built up your civilization. I also grew tired of the time investment required to do anything worthwhile. I could spend hours playing this game doing nothing but digging, which gets old.

I will say this. If they had an iPhone client for this game, I'd be playing it all the time.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    What I'd like is the ability to create your own servers, with configurable stuff. I really just want to play it single-player with skill gains increased, but it'd also be cool to invite people into my server, or to have a PA server or whatever. I'd totally pay $50 for that.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I disagree, I think more people and less grind would make this game wonderful. Update the graphics and add in multistory housing and you would have trade hubs and kingdoms for real, instead of these 50 person towns where 10 people are maybe logged in being the center of society.

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Less grind would lead to more people I think. Rolf has already drastically reduced the the entry level skill grind (2 hours to mine out a rock tile as a new player was a bit....much) but there are some things that still defy mass appeal. Adding the free players (back) to the PvE server turned out pretty good imo, as it tripled the player count at any given time. I am quasi-curious to what will happen once the collada work is finished next spring. There is much talk about customizable avatars (initially limited to visible armor and some rudimentary coloring, but better than nothing) and actual action animations, and some of the stuff in testing looks promising. But multistory buildings and bridges need to get in there already.

I will miss horse surfing though.

Tamorlane on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    In short I want to like this game, and I think its probably playable as it is now (more than it was), but I think we would need like 50 committed PAers on the pvp server to get started on the scale that would be most entertaining. Even if it is like $5 a month, I don't see that many people even posting in the thread.

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    My problem with the game is each time I resubscribe, I stay interested less time than the previous round. I think I just don't have it in me to grind anymore.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Is there a real blog that shows whats coming down the pipeline?

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Rolf posts here every few weeks.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well that 2011 wishlist actually looks decent. How many premium players do they have, because 4000 seems a lot more then what they have right now. I would have guessed maybe 200 or 300?

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    As of today there are 2174 active paid subscriptions. Probably safe to say close to half of them are alts, but it has been gaining.

Tamorlane on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well it might be realistic to actually get people to go on wild from PA and get a subscription. 5 a month isn't so bad, if we have boats, and two story houses are just around the corner, and the food grind really is gone....

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There's a good interview with Rolf about his plans for the game here:
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/01/05/massively-speaking-episode-129/

I might start playing again once multi-storey housing comes in, as well as the 'epic' servers.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    thorgot wrote: »
    I am just starting this:
    at the top of a mountain. I'm not sure if it's going to be a caravel or a cog. Probably a cog because of how the caravel's crow's nest is blocked by the sail on one side.

Well we sure did that (about twice as high as I had originally planned, and twice as wide). The diggers/miners were Mouserecoil, Synold, LastAndroid, Zahrkon and myself.

This is what it looked like on December 31:
    before.jpg

This is what it looks like now:
    completedmound_front.jpg

More pictures:
    miningoperation.jpg
    thatsureisaview.jpg
    completedmound_top.jpg

We've decided to go with two cogs, so next up, the cogs that go on top, plus a little tree trimming and road building.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I am just starting this:

Well we sure did that (about twice as high as I had originally planned, and twice as wide). The diggers/miners were Mouserecoil, Synold, LastAndroid, Zahrkon and myself.

This is what it looked like on December 31:
    before.jpg

This is what it looks like now:
    completedmound_front.jpg

More pictures:
    miningoperation.jpg
    thatsureisaview.jpg
    completedmound_top.jpg

We've decided to go with two cogs, so next up, the cogs that go on top, plus a little tree trimming and road building.[/SPOILER]

The cogs are done, so I guess we're airship pirates or whatever now.

MountAwesomesAwesomeMountainCogs.jpg
    crowsnest.jpg

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg