As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How can I get data off a notebook drive?

cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
My sister in law has a Gateway MT-275 E convertable laptop which, due to the nature of floppy wiggly convertable laptop displays, has had its display go dead. She'd love to get a new machine, but of course the disk has a bunch of media on it she'd like to save (some is backed up, but not all).

Now, the machine still boots (when the power cord is strategically propped in exactly the right position and you don't breath on it), but I can't get it to display on an external monitor via function keys. I don't have another laptop I can put the drive in (it appears to be SATA, and I don't have anything that new).

Are there external enclosures available for generic 2.5 inch drives? Or, is there some mysterious way to mount a crappy gateway as an external drive (I always loved that you could do this with powerbooks). Is there any other way to get the thing to display to an external monitor?

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
cncaudata on

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156015&cm_re=usb_to_2.5_drive-_-12-156-015-_-Product for ide drives or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156014&cm_re=usb_to_2.5_drive-_-12-156-014-_-Product for sata

could probably find them a few dollars cheaper if you really search, but $15 really isnt that much, and they are really useful things to have around.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Instead of that adapter, I would suggest something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159090
    Cheaper, and you can use the laptop drive as an external drive when you have what you need off of it.

corky842 on
  • Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Excellent ideas, both. Thank you!

cncaudata on
    PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Would both of those work for a desktop SATA hard drive? Or would I need to get a bigger enclosure?

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mace1370 wrote: »
    Would both of those work for a desktop SATA hard drive? Or would I need to get a bigger enclosure?

The Sabrent cable will work regardless of size.

If your hard drive is the standard 3.5", you'll need a larger enclosure. For which there are plenty.

Pirusu on
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Pirusu wrote: »

If your hard drive is the standard 3.5", you'll need a larger enclosure. For which there are plenty.

Excellent, thanks!

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Pirusu wrote: »

Excellent, thanks!

No problem! I do want to clarify that you don't need both the cable and the enclosure. The enclosure is just a little more permanent, and if it doesn't come with it, you'll need a USB cable. It essentially turns your internal drive into an external one.

The cable does basically the same thing, but doesn't protect the drive. I'd say in most cases the cable is cheaper, but either solution will work.

Pirusu on
  • Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Also for some HP laptops they put a little "extender" over the regular SATA connectors. ALL SATA drives, regardless of physical size, data size, age, what-have-you, all use the same connectors.

I only mention this as my friend's HP laptop had an "extender" and it confused the hell out of him.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png