As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dealing with possible Ebay Skulduggery (Counterfeit Software)

ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All BaconsWashington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Ahoy hoy folks!

About 2 weeks ago, I was looking to upgrade my PC finally to Windows 7 and I took a chance with Ebay. I found a copy and decided to buy it.

Here's the link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=180580645530&si=fmGZooaDR3NYMajjn24PHUu%252Fr70%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1390wt_1139

About a day ago I got contacted by another ebay seller who warned me that the seller who sold me the copy was dealing with counterfeit software and that he most likely sold me a counterfeit copy as well. Up until this point, the software is still in its shrinkwrap and has not been opened. (I haven't had a full weekend to sit down and do the "nuke then re-install" shenaniganry so I hadn't opened it yet.)

He went on to explain to me that they've been monitoring this seller for quite some time and I needed to contact Microsoft to verify that the copy is fake and report him to ebay as well, as "they've been reporting this guy quite a few times and ebay needs more evidence to prove he's pushing counterfeit windows 7 disks"

So! My question to you folks is: Is there anyway to tell that a copy of Windows 7 is counterfeit just by looking at the COA (Certificate of Authenticity)? I've tried going to Microsoft's website but their method basically entails me breaking the shrinkwrap to check which I'd rather not do if I need to do a return. I also tried contacting their 1-800 number to report piracy, but they're closed until Monday. I've included pics of the box itself. I have to admit, if this is indeed a fake, this is the most authentic looking fake I've ever seen. I'd appreciate anyone taking a stab at it and seeing what's what.... :(
PB260406.jpg

PB260407.jpg

PB260409.jpg

PB260412.jpg

PB260410.jpg

I really appreciate any and all help. You've been great in the past, so I do hope you all can put my mind somewhat at ease! :)

Thegreatcow on

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Based on the typos on the back of the box (does that say "easiet?") I think it's fake.

Doc on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Also "contenr"

Doc on
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah it's got a weird thing with the t's and r's. The note 2 on the bottom, "Requires download of Windows XP mode (which tuns on Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate)..."

Underdog on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I happen to have a Win7 upgrade box in front of me and (spelling errors aside) some of the fonts on yours look slightly off to me and the certificate of authenticity looks a little different.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jesus...that's...wow....

Damn well I guess that tears it then. :(

Damn. Thankfully I don't have it opened and I'm within the 45 day window for ebay's Buyer Protection Plan, but man...if you guys hadn't pointed out the spelling errors, this is probably the most impressive counterfeit software I've ever seen! *Sigh* Serves me right for trying to save a buck. :( Never shopping for software on ebay again. :(

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Don't feel too bad. With anime dvds and kung fu movies and such, sometimes the counterfeits actually are nicer than legit copies.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    btw, if you are a student of a higher ed institution (i.e. college or above), you CAN get a Win7 retail upgrade cd on the cheap, legitimately: http://www.microsoft.com/student/office/en-us/default.aspx

you can apparently buy a Student version of Office 2010 while you're there, also for relatively cheap.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Also if you don't upgrade your PC's motherboard in a long time, you can get OEM versions of Windows 7 for pretty cheap. I got Windows 7 Ultimate for $200 CAD.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If you really want to stick it to the guy, report it straight to Microsoft - http://www.microsoft.com/howtotell/reports/report.aspx

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    http://www.microsoft.com/howtotell/

Information on if it is a real copy or not.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Also if you don't upgrade your PC's motherboard in a long time, you can get OEM versions of Windows 7 for pretty cheap. I got Windows 7 Ultimate for $200 CAD.

You can qualify for OEM versions with the purchase of a new hard drive many places.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sweet thanks for the heads up folks! Especially regarding that OEM stuff. I'm definitely looking to save some money on my upgrades since I'm tight on funds at the moment, but I'll definitely take a stab at it!

Thanks for all of your help!

I've also reported the wanker as well. Microsoft, BSA, and ebay the works. Hopefully he gets a visit from the party van -_-

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ruckus wrote: »

You can qualify for OEM versions with the purchase of a new hard drive many places.

Yep, that's exactly what I did when I bought my OEM disc. I bought a new HDD, and wanted to dual boot my system with XP and WIN7.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz