As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

baking with margarine

Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I am planning on making some toffee and they are quite butter heavy. My mother is lactose intolerant. This is normally not a problem since i just switch out for margarine but i am scared that it may not have all the same properties of butter and since the toffee is both fairly finicky and only has a couple ingredients it could cause a problem. Anyone here a chef/chemist that could let me know if this will work?

Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
7KEFduI.jpg
Sir Headless VII on

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Seems like it can work to some extent.

Recipe - "Earth Balance" is an oil-based spread, so most likely some form of margarine.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    On the whole, the only difference really is the taste.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's definitely not going to taste the same if you make them with margarine as if you made them with butter

Also, since butter is pretty much 80% fat, 20% water and trace amounts of milk solids, I can't imagine it has that much lactose in it in the first place

Also also, especially if you're going to be cooking it past hard crack stage, won't that break down the lactose?

Usagi on
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    European or cultured butter should have very little lactose in it. Regular butter can be low in lactose, but it can vary depending on the manufacturing process and whether they add milk solids back in.

P.S. For example, http://organicvalley.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/organicvalley.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=43

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    A google search told me it could be done, but it is a little more finicky and needs to be closely monitored during the cooking process.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697