As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bad Company 2: BC2 night every Thursday

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    tofu wrote: »
    No, you have to have a Steam copy of BC2 to work with the Steam copy of Vietnam

No, you don't. I read a post by zh1nt0 (he works for DICE) on the UK forums that says any version of Vietnam will work with any version of BC2. You don't need to match steam to steam or EA downloader to EA.

Check if you don't believe me.
    http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-bad-company-2-pc/1377491-vietnam-ea-store-steam.html

EDIT: The content is already downloaded. A large chunk of the last patch was all the resources needed to run Vietnam. All you get when you purchase Vietnam is a code. Hell, it looks like Vietnam is just locked until you enter that code.

That_Guy on
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    will I be using the same character or whatever in vietnam? or will everybody start over?

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
    edited December 2010
    musanman wrote: »
    will I be using the same character or whatever in vietnam? or will everybody start over?

You will carry over your rank. The rank is shared between Vietnam and BC2 so you can play either to level up.

That_Guy on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That_Guy wrote: »

No, you don't. I read a post by zh1nt0 (he works for DICE) on the UK forums that says any version of Vietnam will work with any version of BC2. You don't need to match steam to steam or EA downloader to EA.

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-bad-company-2-pc/1377491-vietnam-ea-store-steam.html

EDIT: The content is already downloaded. A large chunk of the last patch was all the resources needed to run Vietnam. All you get when you purchase Vietnam is a code. Hell, it looks like Vietnam is just locked until you enter that code.
    Steam wrote:
    Notice: Vietnam requires the base game Battlefield: Bad Company 2 on Steam to play
    I bought it through Direct2Drive anyway because it's cheaper

tofu on
    edited December 2010
    EDIT: Not going to continue this.

That_Guy on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Steam wrote:
    Notice: Vietnam requires the base game Battlefield: Bad Company 2 on Steam to play
    I bought it through Direct2Drive anyway because it's cheaper

Steam says that for every game to cover their ass. In this case, if you have a retail copy of BC 2 and buy Vietnam on steam, it's fine, because all you're buying is an unlock code you enter in the game.

-Loki- on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    In other news, my month worth of donation for the server is on hold That_Guy. I'm being forced to take a 3 week break from my new workplace over Christmas, and with no accrued annual leave, I get no pay for those 3 weeks. So I can't pay for a month of server bills for you. When I get back to work, I should be able to.

-Loki- on
    edited December 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    In other news, my month worth of donation for the server is on hold That_Guy. I'm being forced to take a 3 week break from my new workplace over Christmas, and with no accrued annual leave, I get no pay for those 3 weeks. So I can't pay for a month of server bills for you. When I get back to work, I should be able to.

That's ok. Other donations have covered the server cost for this month and half of next month.

That_Guy on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Steam doesn't say it for all DLC and expansions

It might work or it might not, I certainly wouldn't risk it until Steam changes the page

Plus it's cheaper elsewhere and guaranteed to work

tofu on
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My vehicle sensitivity is all sorts of messed up. Does anyone still have a link to the recommended settings/tweak so my turning speed when in turrets, etc. isn't total shit?

nm - found it

Yall on
    edited December 2010
    I wanna play this game, but there is no one on the server. How can we fix this?

That_Guy on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

by changing it to hardcore

BADUMTISH

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    edited December 2010

BADUMTISH

Heh, I played a hardcore server once, and quite enjoyed it. After that, I avoided hardcore sevrers like the plague for some reason. Guess I just didn't enjoy it as much as normal BC2.

-Loki- on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »

BADUMTISH

Heh, I played a hardcore server once, and quite enjoyed it. After that, I avoided hardcore sevrers like the plague for some reason. Guess I just didn't enjoy it as much as normal BC2.

I have long pined for the ability to not have to put 90 million bullets into a body even at close range to kill.. so hardcore mode was like a godsend to me.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    edited December 2010
    You see, I don't have that problem in normal BC 2. As long as I don't get killed first.

I'm looking at you Carbonfire.

I could be on the other side of a map, have the drop on someone, and a bullet Carbonfire put through someones head on his side of the map magically makes its way over to my head.

-Loki- on
    edited December 2010
    when is Vietnam supposed to unlock for pre-orders? tonight? or tommorrow?

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If I haven't played BC2, should I start with Vietnam? Or just play the vanilla game?

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

The 18th?

SJ on
    edited December 2010
    SJ wrote: »

The 18th?

I thought you get it 3 days early if you pre order.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

The 18th?

That is 3 days early. The game's actual release date is Tuesday the 21st.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    edited December 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »

The 18th?

That is 3 days early. The game's actual release date is Tuesday the 21st.

the scroll on bc2 seems to think that the release date is the 18th for pc and 21st for consoles. Unless they have it wrong and they called the early release the release.

edit: mk the scroll is just retarded.. PC early release is the 18th.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    edited December 2010
    Ok, even after using that utility to set up my mouse, my controls are totally borked. After using it, the in game options have the mouse sensitivity slider at zero. I can move and aim fine but turret speed is super slow. If I move the slider up, turret speed is ok, but my mouselook speed on foot is waaaay too fast. Anyone have advice?

Yall on
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I can't wait for the Vietnam expansion.

When the vietnam side runs out of tickets, am I allowed to say "All your gooks are belong to us."

Is that even the right racial slur?

ghost_master2000 on
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I can't wait for the Vietnam expansion.

When the vietnam side runs out of tickets, am I allowed to say "All your gooks are belong to us."

Is that even the right racial slur?

It is.

Warcry on
    edited December 2010
    I wonder if any of the audio will use that term, or if that's considered going too far?

ghost_master2000 on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hey BC2 comes out for the iPhone tomorrow!

So now all you geese can say "Get on teh iPhones naow!!!1!!!"

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    Yall wrote: »
    Ok, even after using that utility to set up my mouse, my controls are totally borked. After using it, the in game options have the mouse sensitivity slider at zero. I can move and aim fine but turret speed is super slow. If I move the slider up, turret speed is ok, but my mouselook speed on foot is waaaay too fast. Anyone have advice?

Which utility are you using? The patch before last changed a lot of things WRT mouse speed/smoothing, and any fix made before that point will no longer work correctly. I plan on revisiting the whole mouse smoothing / turret speed issue once Vietnam is out - I want to see if they do any further tweaking first before attempting to "fix" anything.

My suggestion for now is to revert everything to stock. Turret speeds will be back to their slow turn rate, but it should be better than nothing.

CarbonFire on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I wan't to see if they do any further tweaking first before attempting to "fix" anything.

what

MrDelish on
    edited December 2010
    MrDelish wrote: »
    I wan't to see if they do any further tweaking first before attempting to "fix" anything.

what

Lol, it took me like 30 seconds to spot what the hell you were talking about, but I finally did and it's hilarious.

ghost_master2000 on
  • rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    5264176272_f5c3c29504_z.jpg

I am now the proud owner of 26 thatguy souls.

rRootagea on
    edited December 2010

Which utility are you using? The patch before last changed a lot of things WRT mouse speed/smoothing, and any fix made before that point will no longer work correctly. I plan on revisiting the whole mouse smoothing / turret speed issue once Vietnam is out - I wan't to see if they do any further tweaking first before attempting to "fix" anything.

My suggestion for now is to revert everything to stock. Turret speeds will be back to their slow turn rate, but it should be better than nothing.

I have come across a partial fix. In all your game settings(onfoot, air, gound, ect), turn off mouse smoothing. It the turning rate is still a little slow, but the smoothing makes it so that you can aim better.

That_Guy on
    edited December 2010
    The full map list for Vietnam has been released. Just in case you were wondering what the maps look like behind the scenes.
    Vietnam map names to use on the maplist.txt:
    CONQUEST
    levels/nam_mp_002cq
    levels/nam_mp_003cq
    levels/nam_mp_005cq
    levels/nam_mp_006cq

RUSH
    levels/nam_mp_002r
    levels/nam_mp_003r
    levels/nam_mp_005r
    levels/nam_mp_006r

SQRUSH
    levels/nam_mp_002sr
    levels/nam_mp_003sr
    levels/nam_mp_005sr
    levels/nam_mp_006sr

SQDM
    levels/nam_mp_002sdm
    levels/nam_mp_003sdm
    levels/nam_mp_005sdm
    levels/nam_mp_006sdm

CONQUEST MAP NAMES
    levels/nam_mp_002cq Conquest Vantage Point
    levels/nam_mp_003cq Conquest Hill 137
    levels/nam_mp_005cq Conquest Cao Son Temple
    levels/nam_mp_006cq Conquest Phu Bai Valley

RUSH MAP NAMES
    levels/nam_mp_002r Rush Vantage Point
    levels/nam_mp_003r Rush Hill 137
    levels/nam_mp_005r Rush Cao Son Temple
    levels/nam_mp_006r Rush Phu Bai Valley

SQUADRUSH MAP NAMES
    levels/nam_mp_002sr Squadrush Vantage Point
    levels/nam_mp_003sr Squadrush Hill 137
    levels/nam_mp_005sr Squadrush Cao Son Temple
    levels/nam_mp_006sr Squadrush Phu Bai Valley

SQUAD DEATHMATCH MAP NAMES
    levels/nam_mp_002sdm Squad Deathmatch Vantage Point
    levels/nam_mp_003 sdm Squad Deathmatch Hill 137
    levels/nam_mp_005 sdm Squad Deathmatch Cao Son Temple
    levels/nam_mp_006 sdm Squad Deathmatch Phu Bai Valley

That_Guy on
  • rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    rRootagea wrote: »
    a fix for mouse smoothing?
    Tinit5190 wrote: »
    I found that was a little fast for infantry movement, and a little slow for the chopper, but overall a pretty good range (could be because I have a 1600 DPI G5 rather than that 1800 DPI beast of a Razer).

The numbers I found to be better for my setup:

gamesettings.ini
    ►Scheme0Sensitivity=0.0001

infantry
    ►ScaleValue = 0.20

land
    ►ScaleValue = 12 (Pitch), 15 (Roll)

air
    ►ScaleValue = 300 (Pitch), 250 (Roll) (I found the Pitch to be too underpowered when they were both set to the same value)

Also don't forget to change the camera pitch/roll values in the land and air files, otherwise you won't be able to look around in first person view.

Again, some pretty good values there, good work :^:

Ya, I noticed it was a 'lil bit fast for sniping after finally playing some Rush. I use your settings aside that I have Infantry down to 0.15. Makes sniping really easy. Now your going to have to go to all the posts with this thing in it and change them to reflect the new settings lol.

make sure to backup your Documents/BFBC2 folder and ctrl-f the word "conceptpitch" or "conceptroll" until you get to pitch/roll, making sure to skip the ones for controller with tag "GameSharedResources.PadInputActionData" before the ones for mouse

I have infantry.dbx scalevalue at 0.12
    isAnalog is true, normalizeInput is false

This is what I use right now and while turrets aren't that nimble, mouse lag is still lower than default

I guess the default BFBC2 folder doesn't even have *.dbx for you to edit: try sticking http://www.mediafire.com/?s21bi3i53d5x3py into your BFBC2 folder

in addition to editing gamesettings.ini with changes
    Sensitivity0=0.000000
    Sensitivity1=0.000000
    Sensitivity2=0.000000
    Sensitivity3=0.500000
    Scheme2InputType=0
    Sensitivity4=0.500000
    Scheme4InputType=0
    Sensitivity5=0.500000
    Scheme0Sensitivity=0.000100

rRootagea on
    edited December 2010
    a fix for mouse smoothing?
    Tinit5190 wrote: »
    I found that was a little fast for infantry movement, and a little slow for the chopper, but overall a pretty good range (could be because I have a 1600 DPI G5 rather than that 1800 DPI beast of a Razer).

The numbers I found to be better for my setup:

gamesettings.ini
    ►Scheme0Sensitivity=0.0001

infantry
    ►ScaleValue = 0.20

land
    ►ScaleValue = 12 (Pitch), 15 (Roll)

air
    ►ScaleValue = 300 (Pitch), 250 (Roll) (I found the Pitch to be too underpowered when they were both set to the same value)

Also don't forget to change the camera pitch/roll values in the land and air files, otherwise you won't be able to look around in first person view.

Again, some pretty good values there, good work :^:
    Ya, I noticed it was a 'lil bit fast for sniping after finally playing some Rush. I use your settings aside that I have Infantry down to 0.15. Makes sniping really easy. Now your going to have to go to all the posts with this thing in it and change them to reflect the new settings lol.

make sure to backup your Documents/BFBC2 folder and ctrl-f the word "concept" until you get to pitch/roll, making sure to skip the ones for controller before the ones for mouse

Yeah, most of that you do not want to do. Several patches ago these settings broke a bunch of things.

That_Guy on
  • HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've been back in BFBC2 since VIP Map Pack 7 came out.

I'll buy Vietnam here shortly so that I can get in on it early.

Hawk on
    edited December 2010
    MrDelish wrote: »

what

:P
    :oops: I had worded that differently, I think I had originally typed "won't" in there, then forgot to take out the apostrophe when I changed it.

CarbonFire on
    edited December 2010

Which utility are you using? The patch before last changed a lot of things WRT mouse speed/smoothing, and any fix made before that point will no longer work correctly. I plan on revisiting the whole mouse smoothing / turret speed issue once Vietnam is out - I want to see if they do any further tweaking first before attempting to "fix" anything.

I just removed the input folder (well, renamed it to be more accurate) so as to reset everything. To my surprise, things are mostly OK, although the turrets are a touch slow.

Thanks again.

Yall on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    5264176272_f5c3c29504_z.jpg

I am now the proud owner of 26 thatguy souls.

Wait....is his name seriously 420thatguy? A PA dude with an actual 420 screen name?

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    420smokwederrday

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited December 2010
    Gah! Damn your sig again. I saw ES V and nearly broke my finger clicking on it so fast! :P

Yall on
This discussion has been closed.