As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bad Company 2: BC2 night every Thursday

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hahahaha, oh god.

You should go check out the TES:V thread we have, if you haven't already. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yall wrote: »
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Ok, even after using that utility to set up my mouse, my controls are totally borked. After using it, the in game options have the mouse sensitivity slider at zero. I can move and aim fine but turret speed is super slow. If I move the slider up, turret speed is ok, but my mouselook speed on foot is waaaay too fast. Anyone have advice?

Which utility are you using? The patch before last changed a lot of things WRT mouse speed/smoothing, and any fix made before that point will no longer work correctly. I plan on revisiting the whole mouse smoothing / turret speed issue once Vietnam is out - I want to see if they do any further tweaking first before attempting to "fix" anything.

My suggestion for now is to revert everything to stock. Turret speeds will be back to their slow turn rate, but it should be better than nothing.

I just removed the input folder (well, renamed it to be more accurate) so as to reset everything. To my surprise, things are mostly OK, although the turrets are a touch slow.

Thanks again.

Was it this tool?

It works fine as long as you don't apply the mouse fix which got broken when Dice fixed it proper. I don't know how it stores its settings, but maybe deleting and redownloading the file will reset its values, and let you use it for the sensitivity settings again.

[strike]Edit: I realized that there were probably newer tools lying around somewhere, and found one. I'll give it a whirl and report on how well it works, and whether it borks anything.[/strike]

Edit 2: Screw that, it's a mess. The author disabled DBX editing in that release because it was broken in the one before it, so it's useless for much other than graphical and game options.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    TheExAm wrote: »
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Ok, even after using that utility to set up my mouse, my controls are totally borked. After using it, the in game options have the mouse sensitivity slider at zero. I can move and aim fine but turret speed is super slow. If I move the slider up, turret speed is ok, but my mouselook speed on foot is waaaay too fast. Anyone have advice?

Which utility are you using? The patch before last changed a lot of things WRT mouse speed/smoothing, and any fix made before that point will no longer work correctly. I plan on revisiting the whole mouse smoothing / turret speed issue once Vietnam is out - I want to see if they do any further tweaking first before attempting to "fix" anything.

My suggestion for now is to revert everything to stock. Turret speeds will be back to their slow turn rate, but it should be better than nothing.

I just removed the input folder (well, renamed it to be more accurate) so as to reset everything. To my surprise, things are mostly OK, although the turrets are a touch slow.

Thanks again.

Was it this tool?

It works fine as long as you don't apply the mouse fix which got broken when Dice fixed it proper. I don't know how it stores its settings, but maybe deleting and redownloading the file will reset its values, and let you use it for the sensitivity settings again.

[strike]Edit: I realized that there were probably newer tools lying around somewhere, and found one. I'll give it a whirl and report on how well it works, and whether it borks anything.[/strike]

Edit 2: Screw that, it's a mess. The author disabled DBX editing in that release because it was broken in the one before it, so it's useless for much other than graphical and game options.

That's the one. Hopefully it gets updated post Vietnam release because in principle it's a nice little utility.

Yall on
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dang I hate going through periods where every game you join has your team being destroyed.
    It's some shit.

Also I have come to hate Oasis and the helicopter death it embodies.

101 on
  • JerkbotJerkbot some kind of hypnotist Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hello, BC2 thread! I've got a quick question relating to BC2:Vietnam.

I bought the game retail, with a disc. Since I don't believe there is a boxed version of Vietnam, where should I get it? Is the EA store my best option, or is the 'only works with steam' notice really just a disclaimer?

Jerkbot on
    VyQGM.jpg
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Me and 2 pubbies on the server.

Yall on
  • rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Me and 2 pubbies on the server.
    Each intently plotting murder.

rRootagea on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jerkbot wrote: »
    Hello, BC2 thread! I've got a quick question relating to BC2:Vietnam.

I bought the game retail, with a disc. Since I don't believe there is a boxed version of Vietnam, where should I get it? Is the EA store my best option, or is the 'only works with steam' notice really just a disclaimer?

To quote That_Guy from 1 page back:
    That_Guy wrote: »
    tofu wrote: »
    No, you have to have a Steam copy of BC2 to work with the Steam copy of Vietnam

No, you don't. I read a post by zh1nt0 (he works for DICE) on the UK forums that says any version of Vietnam will work with any version of BC2. You don't need to match steam to steam or EA downloader to EA.

Check if you don't believe me.
    http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-bad-company-2-pc/1377491-vietnam-ea-store-steam.html

EDIT: The content is already downloaded. A large chunk of the last patch was all the resources needed to run Vietnam. All you get when you purchase Vietnam is a code. Hell, it looks like Vietnam is just locked until you enter that code.

Though, as an aside, since it's just a code, you'll likely still get your updates directly through the BC2 updater, rather than Steam.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • phishstikphishstik Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    101 wrote: »
    Dang I hate going through periods where every game you join has your team being destroyed.
    It's some shit.

Also I have come to hate Oasis and the helicopter death it embodies.

YES - I have yet to have a good game on Oasis for some reason its always one team steamrolling the other and I'm always on the other.

Last night I stayed on and would not quit, it was down to 2 on 12 at the next map change.....

phishstik on
    edited December 2010
    God damn, do I ever hate getting on a team that won't cap any points.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    DICE devs had a chat about BC2: V earlier. Here's some notes from it.

- there will be hardcore mode
    - all modes are available for all maps
    - Recon has mortar strikes
    - your points count towards BC2 rank
    - you can replenish the flamethrower with the ammo box
    - no AA guns, but RPG and stationary weapons do heavy damage to choppers
    - M16 is full auto
    - all specializations will count, except 2 modern ones (not specified in the chat, but should be obvious)
    - no Vietnam weapons in BC2
    - "The huey is a mix of transport and attack helicopter behavior in BC2. It is light and agile and easy to fly but takes longer time to master!"
    - will be download only right now (not on CD)
    - The flamethrower on the tank replaces the coax gun addon in BC2
    - flames won't hurt the tank (derp)
    - new achievements
    - in vehicles, you can change the radio
    - knife has been tweaked to be faster (also in BC2)
    - tuc tuc carries 3
    - flamethrower range is about 15 meters
    - "all weapons in Vietnam have unique tweaks compared to BC2."
    - snipers: There will be 3 different rifles, and they will be either semi-automatic or bolt action
    - snipers: will be able to use both the TNT and Mortar at the same time
    - There is a classic US Vietnam river boat with 1 dual MG in the front and MG in the back
    - if you're playing music in a vehicle, enemies can hear it (sweet!)
    - there will be parachutes
    - 5 in the huey; you have the main weapon for the pilot which are rockets. 2 side mounted guns as well.
    - re-spawning times are slighter shorter than BC2.
    - "We have several sound designers here. On Vietnam, we had three. One working with voices, one with ambience and one with sound effects and music."
    - in rush, you're destroying radio communication centrals instead of M-COMs.
    - there are foxholes and tunnels dug under the ground

Greatly looking forward to that fast knife. I don't think it will end up as obnoxious as COD, but I would like to be able to stab someone and have them actually die.

Warcry on
    edited December 2010
    On the off chance someone will get the in-joke

bINU6.gif

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dat hike

Warcry on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Heavy Metal means long hike
    Many snipers hiding up on high
    Eating dirt

As far as Vietnam goes, I am super fucking excited. A few losers might turn off their radios since the enemy can hear them, but damned if I'm not going to be hooning around blasting some foos with Fortunate Son blasting through the air.

Surprising they'd allow snipers to keep TNT and mortar and rifle and sidearm and (presumably) grenades. I guess it's to make up for them losing (those sweet, sweet) motion mines from the base game, but it sounds odd. Time will tell.

Suriko on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

bINU6.gif

Only because I've been reading the MSPA thread in SE++.

I'm still undecided on whether to get Vietnam. While I've played some BC2 recently, I haven't played it much and I don't think I'd play Vietnam much more. I'll grab it if it goes on sale on Steam.

Peewi on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Bad Company 2 on iPhone is on sale for a $1. Its a full fledged game and looks pretty cool so far. Better yet its a dollar so you can't go wrong.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • BingarossoBingarosso Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Were people playing last night? I logged on about 10pm and the server was dead. I had a sad face.

Bingarosso on
    LDN-text-with-logo1.png
  • HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is Vietnam it's on executable or is it just available by clicking "Vietnam" from the BFBC2 menu?

I plan on buying today or tomorrow!

Hawk on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well now that BLOPS continues to be a steaming pile of shit that can't be fixed (apparently), looks like I'll be coming back too.

DietarySupplement on
  • ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm posting this here and then providing a link to it as this seems to be the final verdict on Vietnam and where you can buy it from while remaining able to play it. Looks like they finally sorted all the contradictory information out, which is good.
    Purchasing BC2 Vietnam on Steam vs non-Steam
    There seems to be some confusion regarding purchasing Vietnam. I hope this clears things up.

Any stores that "sell BC2 Vietnam", sell a 16-digit code. This code can be entered into the BC2 game client - any version of the game client. Entering this code unlocks Vietnam for that EA account. No additional download is necessary.

Here are some typical scenarios:

You have bought the base game on Steam, and Vietnam on Steam - this works. You will also see your purchase of Vietnam listed in your Steam client.

You have bought the base game on Steam, and Vietnam somewhere else - this works. The Vietnam expansion will not be visible in the Steam client, but you can access it in-game.

You have bought the base game somewhere else, and Vietnam somewhere else - this works.

You have bought the base game somewhere else, and Vietnam on Steam - this is not possible, because Steam will not sell Vietnam to someone who does not have the base game on Steam.
    If you somehow did manage to make such a purchase anyway, please contact Steam support.

You have bought the base game on Steam, and someone has gifted you Vietnam on Steam - this works. You will also see Vietnam listed in your Steam client.

You have bought the base game somewhere else, and someone has gifted you Vietnam on Steam - I don't know yet what will happen in this case. Will update once I get that info.

The "Vietnam" menu in BC2 will say 'go buy the expansion' until Dec 18th. (It will still say so after you have bought the expansion.) After the 18th, the dialog will change to one where you are asked to enter your code.

Here is the link I got this information from.

If I'm reposting this from a few pages earlier sorry, been out of town and just saw this on the steam forums and wanted to pass it along.

Column on
    edited December 2010
    Peewi wrote: »

[img]http://i.imgur.com/bINU6.gif[/im g][/img]

Only because I've been reading the MSPA thread in SE++.

Mission accomplished

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    edited December 2010
    edited December 2010
    Warcry on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Does anyone here run Bad Company 2 on a single-core CPU? I admit my rig is pretty out of date these days (Fuck you CODBLOPS) but I haven't heard about BC2 completely excluding single cores. Plus, with the base game and expansion being like 35 bucks total it's a great deal for some good ol Battlefield action that I've been craving for months now.

BlueDestiny on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Damn, but I also love BC2.

It would be awesome that you could somehow rotate BC2 and Vietnam in a same server, so one match you're in BC2 and the next it's Vietnam.

Edit: Bluedestiny, the game benefits enormously from multi-core systems, I know that going from a dual core to a quad on BC2 shows a drastic performance upgrade.

Satsumomo on
  • ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Does anyone here run Bad Company 2 on a single-core CPU? I admit my rig is pretty out of date these days (Fuck you CODBLOPS) but I haven't heard about BC2 completely excluding single cores. Plus, with the base game and expansion being like 35 bucks total it's a great deal for some good ol Battlefield action that I've been craving for months now.

I was using an AMD Athlon 64 3200 2.3ghz dual-core processor and I was probably getting an average of 13 FPS, if that.

I upgraded to an AMD Phenom 9650 2.3ghz quad-core processor and now the average is probably 30.

Mind you I also play at a low resolution, 1152x864.

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
    edited December 2010
    I don't trust IGN for reviews, but it can't be more than a whole number or two off from the average it'll get from the more trustworthy reviewers.

BD: I'm pretty sure the game will struggle horribly with only one core to run on.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ebotastic wrote: »

I was using an AMD Athlon 64 3200 2.3ghz dual-core processor and I was probably getting an average of 13 FPS, if that.

I upgraded to an AMD Phenom 9650 2.3ghz quad-core processor and now the average is probably 30.

Mind you I also play at a low resolution, 1152x864.

Yeah, what Ebo said. This game is unplayable on a single core CPU. This game launches a shit ton of threads when you play.

That_Guy on
    edited December 2010
    Sweet. I got into the beta for the Play4Free Battlefield game. I will let you all know how it is.

That_Guy on
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well I'm an idiot and bought this game used for PS3 for "a deal" only to have to pay 15 bucks for the VIP pack anyway.

Anyone have this on PS3 or are you all keyboard/mouse dorks? My PSN is TheZenitram

Zenitram on
    edited December 2010
    Well, the beta is pretty laggy and really buggy. There is just 1 map as far as I can tell, Karkand. It plays reasonably well, but I really don't understand how this game is still so incomplete. It seems like it would be pretty simple to port most of the BF2 resources over, but somehow this must not have been what happened. It's almost like they started from scratch with the characters, models, and other resources. Everyone looks really creepy. I picked assault to start out with. It may have just been the lag, but I remember the rounds lining up with the iron sights much better in BF2. In Play4Free (P4F) The rounds seem to have a life of their own. Just going where they feel like. I remember being able to snipe at long range with most of the weapons in BF2, but here, you have to have someone dead to rights before you squeeze that trigger. I do like that the guns are much deadlier up close. It only took a good squeeze of the trigger to put someone down; Less so when you aim down sights.

I can see it becoming fun after they finish the game, but to call this a beta would be a stretch. It feels much more like an alpha.

That_Guy on
    edited December 2010
    Question: Anybody know what the music is that plays in this (really nice) trailer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImU_4_sKtlM

Edit: Derp, it's in the comments. Well, here's a nice trailer anyway.

Suriko on
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Has the song list for Vietnam been posted somewhere?

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, the beta is pretty laggy and really buggy. There is just 1 map as far as I can tell, Karkand. It plays reasonably well, but I really don't understand how this game is still so incomplete. It seems like it would be pretty simple to port most of the BF2 resources over, but somehow this must not have been what happened. It's almost like they started from scratch with the characters, models, and other resources. Everyone looks really creepy. I picked assault to start out with. It may have just been the lag, but I remember the rounds lining up with the iron sights much better in BF2. In Play4Free (P4F) The rounds seem to have a life of their own. Just going where they feel like. I remember being able to snipe at long range with most of the weapons in BF2, but here, you have to have someone dead to rights before you squeeze that trigger. I do like that the guns are much deadlier up close. It only took a good squeeze of the trigger to put someone down; Less so when you aim down sights.

I can see it becoming fun after they finish the game, but to call this a beta would be a stretch. It feels much more like an alpha.

Accuracy upgrades, only $4.99!

They likely redid all of the content to be more network friendly, and to run on lower-end machines.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I remember them saying that the 32-player limit was to lessen system reqs. too.

And then, in the same breath, they say they aimed to bring the game up to "HD console" standards and pretties.

I'm still trying to reconcile all that.

Zxerol on
    edited December 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »

And then, in the same breath, they say they aimed to bring the game up to "HD console" standards and pretties.

Consoles have decent CPUs and GPUs allowing for special effects, but what they lack is memory. For example, the Xbox 360 uses a 3 core custom PowerPC clocked at 3.2ghz but it only has 1mb of level 2 cache. Another example would be the GPU. It comes clocked in at 500mhz, but only has 10mb of embedded ram. The entire console has to share a 512 MB of GDDR3. This mean that, in order to preserve detail, a game will needed to be scaled back from 64 or so players. Fewer players, fewer things going on, smaller maps, etc. That is not to say that the game is not loads of fun, but it is clearly a quick and dirty console port.

As for Battlefield 3, it remains to be seen how far they will be able to push consoles. If I had to guess, I would say consoles will get 32 players where PCs will get (I think the latest number was) 80ish.

That_Guy on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think the latest number was 80ish.

That's a lot of Jeeps driving into other teammates planes as they take off.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think the latest number was 80ish.

That's a lot of Jeeps driving into other teammates planes as they take off.

593666724_je3Ne-L.jpg

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Personally, I don't see any great need to expand almost any game beyond 32 players. It's hard enough filling up games with 32 decent players, much less 2-3 times that. Plus, maps have to be a lot bigger to fit all those people and for what? Pushing the objectives farther apart makes the game more dull rather than more interesting.

Heavy Metal works because it's the only really McHuge map and it has tons of vehicles for everybody to use. Double the player size and you just end up with a bunch of people walking around and getting killed by vehicles. Getting stuck doing either of those isn't a lot of fun.

Not to mention that games just get more and more impersonal as you get more people on a server. Playing with 24-32 people that you actually know and will come across frequently in a game makes for more fun than having a half-dozen people you never see the entire game or don't even hear of the awesome thing you just did from across the map. Throw 50+ people on a server and half of them may as well be bots for all the interaction you will have with them beyond shooting them every now and again.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »

Consoles have decent CPUs and GPUs allowing for special effects, but what they lack is memory. For example, the Xbox 360 uses a 3 core custom PowerPC clocked at 3.2ghz but it only has 1mb of level 2 cache. Another example would be the GPU. It comes clocked in at 500mhz, but only has 10mb of embedded ram. The entire console has to share a 512 MB of GDDR3. This mean that, in order to preserve detail, a game will needed to be scaled back from 64 or so players. Fewer players, fewer things going on, smaller maps, etc. That is not to say that the game is not loads of fun, but it is clearly a quick and dirty console port.

As for Battlefield 3, it remains to be seen how far they will be able to push consoles. If I had to guess, I would say consoles will get 32 players where PCs will get (I think the latest number was) 80ish.

I was referring to Battlefield Play4Free (i.e. ghetto BF2), which is PC-only of course.

Zxerol on
This discussion has been closed.