Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Weight training thread [WEIGHT TRAINING THREAD] thread

TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Social Entropy++
For a second there I thought this was our new lifting thread. Not so.

So I guess this is.

Just so we're clear:

294tgkl.jpg

Aw yeah.

Also, I have preserved Dead Legend's incredibly helpful previous OP:
Spoiler:

"This should be in the OP!" - Neat stuff that got posted in this thread:
Spoiler:

And the highlight of the thread (so says me as we're on page 99)...

Benni pulling 1015 in just a belt for a new deadlift world record:

(from three different angles)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4jO21-a2W0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26yqOMsxQho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M13EBl_jF0

TheRealBadger on

• psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That is a badass image. Who is it, Ahnold?

There's a comp in Feb that I'm probably going to do. There was supposed to be one this fall but it was cancelled.

E: a quick google says it is in fact Franco Columbu

Big Man in training.
    steam_sig.png
  • TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yep, Franco. I like that image - roughly 310kg, no belt.

I used to have it set to flash up on my phone whenever my alarm for deadlift day went off.

Squat day was Captain Kirk:

2zrhmra.jpg

Press day was Pudz:

nz3wo3.jpg

Bench day was a stock image from tnation that I quite liked:

aljj40.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing you compete Psyck. You should be pretty close to that 500lb dead by February

• ieyeasuieyeasu Registered User
    edited December 2010
    Anaerobic exercise is a thing I kind of want to get into

But all those machines and weights and incredibly muscular dudes next to them are incredibly intimidating. So I guess I'll just read this thread instead.

edited December 2010
    We have a slogan for that exact situation.

Ain't nothin' to it but to do it.

Seriously, everyone was a beginner at some point. It doesn't take long to learn the basics and it is a very satisfying hobby.

Also, you will pick up some really great slogans along the way.

• ieyeasuieyeasu Registered User
    edited December 2010
    We have a slogan for that exact situation.

Ain't nothin' to it but to do it.

Seriously, everyone was a beginner at some point. It doesn't take long to learn the basics and it is a very satisfying hobby.

Also, you will pick up some really great slogans along the way.

:O!

A man can always use more slogans

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
  • HakiHaki Registered User
    edited December 2010
    Indeed! I asked for advice here like ten thousand years ago when I was 240 lbs of fatness, and now I'm 240 lbs of fatness and strongness, but I lost like twelve pants sizes and now also love powerlifting.

You really should just go do the lifting for a while, most of those crazy strong dudes are incredibly nice, and powerlifting meets are the best things ever.

edited December 2010
    Whoa, Haki, 12 sizes? That is great! I have to be honest, I don't even remember you posting here, but good for you!

I should be PAST that 500 lb deadlift by Christmas. My predicted max is 514. I'm going to test it in 2 weeks, once exams are done.

Big Man in training.
    steam_sig.png
  • HakiHaki Registered User
    edited December 2010
    Tohoho, slight exaggeration on the timing I suppose on the pant sizery, although when I started to lose weight initially I was ~340 lbs or so, so my pants from the long, long ago are size 48 parachutes. You also probably don't remember me because I posted like twice and then went back to lurking, but I've decided to make with the posting more often now on a whim. Also because I'm here all the time anyways.

Super hell yeahs on the 500 deadlift. I'm trying to raise my squat up a bunch at the moment, but I'm struggling at the bottom a lot right now. I'm having a hard time breaking into the 400s with anything past a double. Hoping to push through it and make it to mid 400s by April for a local meet though.

edited December 2010
    Deadlift day may be cancelled this week i think. Our cricket ground has been having drainage problems lately so they dumped a bunch of sand on the outfield. I didn't realise this and slid down onto my shin when stopping a ball. Now i am missing most of the skin from my leg and am leaking about a cup of plasma per hour.

• webguy20webguy20 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I love those interlocking plates you posted in that one pic Badger.

I can't wait till I'm at a healthy weight so I can actually focus on strength training and lifting big and not on maintaining the strength I have. I mean I still do protein shakes after working out and all that, but I can't eat big, gotta drop the pounds.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    edited December 2010
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I love those interlocking plates you posted in that one pic Badger.

I can't wait till I'm at a healthy weight so I can actually focus on strength training and lifting big and not on maintaining the strength I have. I mean I still do protein shakes after working out and all that, but I can't eat big, gotta drop the pounds.

I know, they're neat right? My gym has rubber coated plates that interlock similarly. Unfortunately the fancy plates have to sit over with the leg press and the old, ugly chipped plates sit with the squat rack. This is apparently a rule.

• ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Let the bigman-ification continue!

Currently squatting 105lbsx3x10 like a sissy girl but I'm sure it would be alot higher if I didn't have to clean & press the darn EZ-bar every time I wanna squat. Also, I'm raising it like 10lbs per week..just gotta get used to getting that thang up in tha urr.

"Be excellent to each other."
    edited December 2010
    There's always Zercher squats.

(full disclosure though, I have never done a Zercher squat in my life and have no idea whether they're worthwhile. However, it may solve your equipment problem for a little while).

Alternatively, you could always just change gyms.

• A duck!A duck! Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2010
    You could take that as an opportunity to do Olympic-style lifting and do snatches and overhead squats, although your gym may frown on that.

EDIT - Speaking of Franco, I've always loved this picture:

francomakinitlookeasy.jpg

He's just all, yeah, whatever. It's some weight.

Favorite quotes
    Spoiler:
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, the past couple of weeks have not been good. Been spending most of my time helping my girlfriend get around after her ACL repair.

Now that we're getting towards the end of the year, it's time for me to get my competition goals figured out:

Compete in the 200lb weight-class strongman group next year (that's down 35 pounds).
    Deadlift > 500 lbs
    Push Press > 300 lbs
    Farmers Carry: 200 lbs x 50 yards
    Iron cross with 45 lb plates for 45 seconds
    Front Squat > 300 lbs

If you don't have access to a decent bar, I'd do more dumbell squats and deadlifts.
    Goblet Squats
    Split Squats
    Step-ups work pretty good also.

And Zerchers hurt. Seriously, they suck.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I second split squats, they're pretty baller. It's what I did before I had access to proper squat racks.

Depending on whether my little girl cooperates, my goals for this last month of the year are to squat 225 for 3x5 and smash my bench PRs to crap. I did 145 3x5 yesterday and it was pretty ok, I have high hopes going forward.

Also Franco Columbu was a fucking monster and since he was a bunch shorter than me and still ridiculous he's one of my role models.

edited December 2010
    Haki wrote: »
    Tohoho, slight exaggeration on the timing I suppose on the pant sizery, although when I started to lose weight initially I was ~340 lbs or so, so my pants from the long, long ago are size 48 parachutes. You also probably don't remember me because I posted like twice and then went back to lurking, but I've decided to make with the posting more often now on a whim. Also because I'm here all the time anyways.

Super hell yeahs on the 500 deadlift. I'm trying to raise my squat up a bunch at the moment, but I'm struggling at the bottom a lot right now. I'm having a hard time breaking into the 400s with anything past a double. Hoping to push through it and make it to mid 400s by April for a local meet though.

Just keep going. I was struggling hard around the same weight, took 2 weeks off and dropped the weight from ~355 to ~335, went back and kept doing linear progression and when I could finally do ~370x3x5 I went for 405x5 and nailed it (barely, thought I was going to fail the last rep). Don't take the time off if you don't need it, but I sure did.

Big Man in training.
    steam_sig.png
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, the past couple of weeks have not been good. Been spending most of my time helping my girlfriend get around after her ACL repair.

Now that we're getting towards the end of the year, it's time for me to get my competition goals figured out:

Compete in the 200lb weight-class strongman group next year (that's down 35 pounds).
    Deadlift > 500 lbs
    Push Press > 300 lbs
    Farmers Carry: 200 lbs x 50 yards
    Iron cross with 45 lb plates for 45 seconds
    Front Squat > 300 lbs

If you don't have access to a decent bar, I'd do more dumbell squats and deadlifts.
    Goblet Squats
    Split Squats
    Step-ups work pretty good also.

And Zerchers hurt. Seriously, they suck.

:shock:

• HamurabiHamurabi Cambridge, MARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I saw the Iron Cross thing, and thought he'd be holding an Iron Cross with a 45lb. plate on a dip belt for 45 seconds.

Then I started to wonder if Kako was actually, like, a human-being.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    yes this is what i want to see

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    edited December 2010
    I'm just an slightly pudgy 30ish year old guy who's been lifting on and off for 20-odd years. I go through phases where I'm in better shape than others. Right now, I'm kicking off one of the more "in-shape" phases.

I can do 60 seconds with 25 lb plates on the iron cross. It's pretty much an exercise in pain management.

• JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    I saw the Iron Cross thing, and thought he'd be holding an Iron Cross with a 45lb. plate on a dip belt for 45 seconds.

Then I started to wonder if Kako was actually, like, a human-being.

Hes more of a government experiment than a human now. Still cool as hell though so keep on doin whatcha doin Kako.

• JordanthehuttJordanthehutt Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hey bigman thread, I'm getting back in to lifting and I come across this question:

What is the stance on more weight vs more reps?

In high school I was taught that more reps with less weight would result in a leaner look, while more weight less reps builds bulk. Is this correct?

edited December 2010
    Hey bigman thread, I'm getting back in to lifting and I come across this question:

What is the stance on more weight vs more reps?

In high school I was taught that more reps with less weight would result in a leaner look, while more weight less reps builds bulk. Is this correct?

High weight, low reps plus high rest = mostly neurological adaptation and not as much muscular growth. You get stronger through a better nervous system via more motor units being recruited and better rate coding.

High weight, low reps plus low rest = typically yield myofibrilar hypertrophy, where it is the density of the muscle fibers that increases.

moderate weight, high reps and low rest = typically yields a combination of myfibrilar and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy where the fiber changes in density but also increases in fluid retention resulting in bigger muscles but not necessarily as much strength.

Thats over simplified and not necessarily a rule, but it is my experience.

Also- you cant gain bulk without the calories for it. I try telling my female athletes this every year but they all think that by simply lifting a weight they will turn into a monster. You can't grow without also TRYING to grow via increased food.

• A duck!A duck! Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2010
    Just out of curiosity, what is considered high rest and low rest? Usually for high reps I keep rest periods at or below a minute, but I'm not sure for strength training. I've been doing around two minute rests between sets, but I'm not sure if that's too long.

Favorite quotes
    Spoiler:
    edited December 2010
    Anywhere from 90 seconds to 3 minutes is enough time for all your ATP stores to be replenished. Lower than 60 seconds rest is considered short rest.

edited December 2010
    You should know how long is long enough when you go heavy. I agree that high reps is harder to tell.

Big Man in training.
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    I'll also post the chart that is more scientifically proven, although there is certainly wiggle room and is more variable than listed. It is however a good starting guide for developing what you want.
    Spoiler:

• adytumadytum Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah so, my back is still bugging me.

I'm down ~15 pounds since I quite lifting a month ago. Pretty decent weight loss for my first time ever actively trying to lose weight. I have abs again, but I'm sick of eating lean protein all day, erryday.

Though, admittedly, a decent amount of that would have been shed water weight.

I sure hope my back stops hurting soon so I can get back to lifting! You hear me, Santa?!

etxvv5.jpg
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So does anyone in this thread use kettlebells? I love the shit out of them and I was wondering if anyone had any awesome workouts for them.

I just got this: http://www.amazon.com/Kettlebell-Challenge-Instructional-Starring-Exercises/dp/B0014J5LN2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1291068959&sr=8-1 and I plan on using it once I've got all the moves down. I know most of them, but refining your technique is never a bad thing.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.

Height: 5' 11" Weight: 225 Goal: 200
    edited December 2010
    PowerBlock makes a KettleBlock that goes up to 55 pounds. I really want it.

KettleBlock-40-on-stand-CU-WEB.jpg

etxvv5.jpg
    edited December 2010
    Except it is so funky shaped, you can't do unique kettlebell stuff with it. I wouldn't want to do a kettlebell snatch or clean with that, the round shape of the real thing cushions the impact so you don't hurt your wrist. If all you are going to do with it is swings, sure, it is fine, but then why not use a dumbbell?

edited December 2010
    big l wrote: »
    Except it is so funky shaped, you can't do unique kettlebell stuff with it. I wouldn't want to do a kettlebell snatch or clean with that, the round shape of the real thing cushions the impact so you don't hurt your wrist. If all you are going to do with it is swings, sure, it is fine, but then why not use a dumbbell?

They're one step ahead of you.

KB-wrist-guard-snap-on-CU200w.jpg

Though I'm willing to accept it's not equivalent. However, their dumbbells are fantastic.

etxvv5.jpg
    edited December 2010
    If you're doing kettleballs, Pavel's stuff is always a good place to start.

And everyone should learn how to do a tgu with em.

Kettleball Turkish Getup

• ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah. Turkish Getups are awesome. Tiring and awesome.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.

Height: 5' 11" Weight: 225 Goal: 200
    edited December 2010
    One time I did Turkish Get-ups with a 50# DB, max reps in 10 minutes. One of the stupider things I have done in the gym.

edited December 2010
    Didn't someone here almost drop a DB on their face doing getups?

etxvv5.jpg
    edited December 2010
    But is it as stupid as this?

Swiss ball stupidity

The bar has been set so very high for stupid gym exercises.

edited December 2010
    Speaking of dumb, you'll have to fast forward a few min but this is just dumb as all hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb9WGI4Bkdo

This discussion has been closed.