As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weight training thread [WEIGHT TRAINING THREAD] thread

• Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Reverse lunges make me feel like a pansy. Its such little weight on the bar and yet it hurts so good the next day

Jyardana on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Isn't milk mostly water? It's probably just the dry season man.

Maybe get a humidifier for your room at night.

I dunno, though. This's honestly never happened before. My scale also goes haywire when I'm on a bulk, and reports a really low hydration level. If milk is mostly water (and it is -- something like 80-90%), shouldn't I be perfectly hydrated if I'm drinking a gallon of it a day? I've also come across several sources that list milk as a dehydrator.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just because something is mostly water, doesn't mean it's a hydrater. I'm pretty sure beer and sodas are mostly water; they are definitely not hydraters.

No reason to not just drink a ton of water in addition.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If you're thirsty, drink. Milk isn't exactly 100% equivalent to water. Depending on the humidity and lack thereof and how much you're working, you may need more or less. And those electronic scales have terrible accuracy for both body fat % and hydration %.

God, doing Smolov Jr. on push presses is going to kill me. You definitely don't want to add anything else for the upper body like benching. I've never been this sore in my shoulders.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2010
    tehmarken wrote: »
    Just because something is mostly water, doesn't mean it's a hydrater. I'm pretty sure beer and sodas are mostly water; they are definitely not hydraters.

No reason to not just drink a ton of water in addition.

Oh man, not this fucking discussion again. Yes, coffee and soda contain diuretics, but the effect is not pronounced enough to actually dehydrate you. There are people that live entirely on soda, by your standard they should be dead within a week, and yet they keep going. I'm not saying it's optimal, but they do hydrate you.

A duck! on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ahhh the first diuretics conversation of the new thread. It's like coming home for christmas.

I've had squats + rowing destroy my lower body before. I fell into my car after the gym that day. Tried to sit down and my muscles just failed me. It was extremely hard getting out of the car too.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    All you injury-free guys are making me jealous.

I've got some grip trainers and I am working the hell out of them though.

adytum on
  • Options
    MagnumCTMagnumCT Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm really annoyed by these goddamn rest days.

MagnumCT on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    MagnumCT wrote: »
    I'm really annoyed by these goddamn rest days.

That's how I feel about deload weeks. I know I need em, but still....

A duck! on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    All you injury-free guys are making me jealous.

I've got some grip trainers and I am working the hell out of them though.

Is that what the kids are calling it these days? "Grip training", I like it.

Peen on
  • Options
    MagnumCTMagnumCT Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My penis is at LEAST(most?) average.

MagnumCT on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    yep. This is a great thread title! :D

people will think its the car thread.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The title is true, I have a tiny child penis.

Scudo on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Its cool, my baby dick vibrates at like 1200hz so it stiil gets the job done

Jyardana on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Like hell we're overcompensating

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'm surprised it took 3 years or whatever before the thread title got changed to something like that

Jyardana on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I pulled 425x7 today and nearly shit my pants on the last one. I think I maybe had an 8th in me but so was my faeces and I wanted it to stay there.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    That's fucking cool psyck. I don't like any set of deadlifts that goes longer than 2 reps so I can really respect a 7 rep grinder. Especially at 192. That's awesome

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't know about you doods

But I lifted 285 yesterday for squats and Deadlifted 365 two times. I think my goals of getting to 300x3x5 squat and a 400+ DL by the end of the year are close

In good time, I am sick of bulking! It only makes me feel fat, and look worse. But my numbers are going up so it's working

hectorse on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'm slowly getting my cardio fitness back after the 8-10 months of nothing but barbell work. Managed 3km on the erg this morning without stopping. 2.09 split could use some improving but I'll take it.

Also, the leg is infected. Am on antibiotics for a few weeks. Thankfully I got my bench day in before the tetanus shot because now my shoulder is dead.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ham I think you should start hitting up this diet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXjxHQQxcLw&feature=player_embedded

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man I got the tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis shot a monthish ago and it fucking fried my shoulder, I've never had lingering soreness from a shot like that. Tetanus shots can eat a dick.

In related news, it looks like I'll be lucky to get to the gym twice a week for the next month or two. Is it cool to just scale Starting Strength back to twice a week , making sure to deadlift once and alternating bench and overhead press each week? Or is there a better two day program out there?

Peen on
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    psyck0 wrote: »
    So I pulled 425x7 today and nearly shit my pants on the last one. I think I maybe had an 8th in me but so was my faeces and I wanted it to stay there.

Nice breh

You = strong

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    RDM I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your weight-gaining newsletter.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jyardana wrote: »
    Let's keep those pictures to a minimum kind gents

just think, it never would have happened had you not called me a pussy

and for putting the hex on me and it actually being mrsa

just an update, it's still off-color, slightly larger than it was before(or at least deformed), and no pain.

i think all that swelling permanently affected my finger.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    that video was awesome. Fast food sushi, coming to a McDonalds near you!

webguy20 on
  • Options
    InvincibleInvincible Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hey doods, over winter break I won't be able to do cleans (probably). So I was wonder what some decent replacement lifts would be. Should I just break cleans into the individual movements and do those or what?

Invincible on
    3DS Friend Code: 2921-9194-1579

Let's make record. It will look like:
    Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Invincible wrote: »
    Hey doods, over winter break I won't be able to do cleans (probably). So I was wonder what some decent replacement lifts would be. Should I just break cleans into the individual movements and do those or what?

Why can't you do them? No bumper plates?

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Well I might not have access to the gym at my university so I was thinking of just getting a temp membership somewhere and I don't think there are too many gyms around my home that have Olympic lifting sets.

Invincible on

Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Invincible wrote: »
    Well I might not have access to the gym at my university so I was thinking of just getting a temp membership somewhere and I don't think there are too many gyms around my home that have Olympic lifting sets.

I'm guessing you could get away with just doing some hang cleans.

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Jyardana wrote: »
    Let's keep those pictures to a minimum kind gents

just think, it never would have happened had you not called me a pussy

and for putting the hex on me and it actually being mrsa

just an update, it's still off-color, slightly larger than it was before(or at least deformed), and no pain.

i think all that swelling permanently affected my finger.

Just infect your prong with mrsa and you'll gain a size there too!

Jyardana on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    oh lordy

also, i haven't had access to bumper plates since 07 and i still do cleans

but i have had foam pads to put underneath plates.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I do cleans without olympic plates and platform. I just don't dump the bar from the top and drop it down to a hang and then go down like I'm setting down a deadlift.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    When I occasionally did cleans/hang cleans I just used lighter weight so I could do a controlled descent.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Guess who has two thumbs and saw stars during his last squat rep but didn't quit on it?

This guy.

My health insurance better kick in before I pass out in the rack. I have a feeling that would require medical care.

Gork on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    What do you guys think of energy drinks before lifting?

Invincible on

Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Caffeine is a fantastic thing to take before lifting. I've done a shitload better since I took up the practice.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    A redbull does wonders for me. No need to go overkill on the pre-wo stims, if you haven't used any before anything should bring an improvement in quality.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I drink a Coke Zero. I think it helps.

Gork on
  • Options
    SoulburnerSoulburner Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, I'm on week 6 of 5/3/1 and its got me going through a huge growth spurt. Obviously the whole ramping up to just one big work set thing is exactly what my body needed, because my lifts have been going up like crazy.

I went in to calculate my four rep max for my big lifts (Wendler says that should roughly be 90% of your 1rm) the week before I started, but just the act of only having that one big set alone acted as a deload for me and even on my 1+ week I was able to get 8-10 reps at weights which were huge rep PRs for me. I hear this is actually kind of common, but damn, it felt awesome.

I went from 158 to 168 in that first month without even a change in diet from the month before, and it took me a long fucking time just to get through the 150s.

This month I figured what the fuck if I can get 8 reps with my 1+ set I can afford to up the weight more than 5/10 and ended up with a 45 pound increase to my dead and 35 to my squat (10 in press, 15 in power clean which I slot in before the deadlifting, and 25 in bench)

This is my 3+ week and I went in for a 300 squat today, which I have only done once in the past for a single ball busting rep with my knees heavily fucking wrapped, immediately followed by not being able to get anywhere close because I was stuck in an up and right back down cycle in my big lifts for a few months there when I was still trying to do progressive weight for sets across.

I banged out 7 fucking reps today without any need for wraps since my knees are feeling great right now, and I'll be going in for 315 next week which will be my first time squatting three plates, and fuck it, I'm going to see if I can get 5 reps of it as my christmas present to myself.

My dead has also seen big increases. My previous best with a conventional pull was 405x2, and last week I got 400 for another 7. This week I'm going up to 425, sure as fuck won't be getting it for 7 like psyck0, the crazy bastard, but hitting it for the required three should not be a problem. I want to be able to get it for 4, and I'm feeling good enough right now that I think I can.

Anyway, I had to come in here and post about this shit because I'm feeling really satisfied about it all and no one I know gives a fuck about weight lifting. Had to talk about it with someone.

Soulburner on
This discussion has been closed.