As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Book Suggestions?

sirchrissypoosirchrissypoo Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So, thanks to a very generous Santa in the Games and Technology Secret Santa, I got an Amazon Kindle.

Now, I need books to put on the thing. I grabbed a ton of free books from Amazon and from sites like Project Gutenberg, but I need more.

My favorite series is the Discworld novels. I love the mix of comedy and fantasy.

Other books I really enjoy:
American Gods
Flowers for Algernon
A Clockwork Orange

Any kinds of books that make you laugh or really make you think, those are the kinds I can enjoy. Also, any really good Sci-Fi books would be great, as I'm not very well read in the Sci-Fi genre (making it up by purchasing Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide and also getting Dune).

sirchrissypoo on

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    The Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons. Sci-fi. Four books, all awesome. Not terribly funny, but neither is Dune.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If Flowers for Algernon or A Clockwork Orange made you laugh...

In any case, the three books you mentioned are three books I really liked so I'll just paste my list of favorite books ever. About 50% are sci-fi. They're listed vaguely in order of how much I liked them. I'd say about 1/3rd to a 1/4th of them are directly hilarious or at least pretty funny. All of them will make you think. Most will also make you feel, so that's nice.

Catch-22, The Devil's Dictionary, Moby-Dick, All the King's Men, Invisible Man, Neuromancer, The Sun Also Rises, Julius Caesar, Snow Crash, Sometimes a Great Notion, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Lolita, On the Road, The Brothers Karamazov, A Confederacy of Dunces, For Whom the Bell Tolls, The Name of the Wind, Brave New World, The Great Shark Hunt, Watchmen, Transmetropolitan, Cat's Cradle, The Yiddish Policeman's Union, Closing Time, The Hero with a Thousand Faces, The Elements of Style, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Spook Country, Treasure Island, Consider Phlebas, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, The Diamond Age, Love in the Time of Cholera, Pattern Recognition, One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, Gun, with Occasional Music, Cryptonomicon, Motherless Brooklyn, The Fortress of Solitude, Gardens of the Moon, The Demon-Haunted World, Virtual Light, Idoru, All Tomorrow's Parties, Everything Is Illuminated, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, The Mote in God's Eye, Absurdistan, Going Postal, Starship Troopers, Stranger in a Strange Land, Anansi Boys

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Very good suggestions both of you. Thanks!

TychoCelchuuu, no Clockwork Orange and Flowers for Algernon didn't make me laugh. I was putting them in the "make you think" category. Actually, Flowers for Algernon should be in a "made me cry" category. One of the saddest books I've ever read.

sirchrissypoo on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    James Clavell's Shogun

Shogun on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Have you seen the OP in the D&D reading thread?

jakob went through a load of old threads and put together a list of recommendations based off what people said they liked. Might be of some use.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ceres wrote: »
    The Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons. Sci-fi. Four books, all awesome. Not terribly funny, but neither is Dune.

I second this. I have only read the first two so far, but they are quite good.

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Have you seen the OP in the D&D reading thread?

jakob went through a load of old threads and put together a list of recommendations based off what people said they liked. Might be of some use.

Thanks for pointing me to this. Gonna go through this and see what I find.

sirchrissypoo on
  • Options
    RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ceres wrote: »

I don't know what you're talking about, Ceres. The later Dune novels that Frank Herbert wrote were hilarious. If he were alive today, I could totally see him living in abject squalor writing fanfic with titles like "Transformers: The Invasion of the Eroticons".

That being said, I do have some sci-fi/fantasy recommendations for the OP because I've read quite a bit of it over the years.

-The Enemy Papers by Barry Longyear, which I recommend every single time someone wants to read sci-fi

-Illium by Dan Simmons. Anything by him is pretty cool, actually. He writes good novels.

-The various Recluce Saga books by L.E. Modesitt are oddly addictive at first but you'll probably get tired of them pretty quickly.

-Piers Anthony's Xanth novels are kinda similar to Discworld in that they're comedic fantasy. There's not much depth to them but the density of the puns is impressive/awful. Also: pervy old man syndrome is in effect for Piers and has been for a number of [strike]years[/strike] decades.

Raekreu on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Christopher Moore might be right up your alley. I highly enjoy the Discworld series, and I feel that Christopher Moore has a similar amount of humor mixed with the fantastic, if a bit more American and modern fantasy in nature than Pratchett. I would recommend starting with "Lamb" (a humorous treatment of Jesus as told by his best friend Biff).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If you haven't read it, Ender's Game is one of my favorites.

Cokebotle on
    工事中