As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Single biggest reason behind Spitting Image's success dies.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kalkino wrote: »
    corcorigan wrote: »
    So, how did everyone enjoy their first day of paying an eye-wateringly high level of VAT?

I cut my consumption by 2.5%, obviously

Surely you only cut your consumption of VAT-able goods by 2.5% so in real terms that's only a 1.372% cut in consumption?

Hmm, I keep forgetting that VAT only applies to some goods. The NZ equivalent covers everything, so I keep assuming that is the case everywhere

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    A lot of the expenses scandal revolved around the expenses MPs were able to collect because they had to have two homes; one in their constituency and one in London. The Wikipedia article is quite extensive.

I think that a big reason that it seems a lot is because it was dumped on us all at once, rather than being the odd isolated report.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Looking back on the expenses scandal, I sort of like how British it must all sound.

"They claimed chocolate and duck ponds???"

While bad, Shanadeus needs to remember these funds were not taken out of the orphan budget or something.

Perdurabo on
  • Options
    Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I didn't think Peter Viggers actually got the duck island on expenses, I thought he claimed for it and was denied?

Space Coyote on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I didn't think Peter Viggers actually got the duck island on expenses, I thought he claimed for it and was denied?

Either way, if I were an MP, I would claim for a castle, and have a militia army on standby. Maybe ride to the house of commons on a horse, and expect a commoner to hunch down in the mud, so I don't get any grime on my velvet cloak.

Basically, I don't think I would be good with expenses. I steal pens from work.

Perdurabo on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shanadeus wrote: »
    Why are there so many corrupt politicians and government officials?

Fixed your post.

And while it was a misuse of the system of expense claims, it wasn't embezzlement in the sense you implied, except for those guys who claimed for nonexistant houses. Technically the majority of claims were within the system. It's the system itself that came under scrutiny, especially in times of economic woe.

This said, there were a number of delightful silly geese who protested the reforms, like the dude who complained about having to pay for first class rail travel.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Viggers' total claims for gardening were in the region of £30k - the duck island is only mentioned because it's ridiculous sounding.

He was my old MP, incidentally.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Perdurabo wrote: »

Either way, if I were an MP, I would claim for a castle, and have a militia army on standby. Maybe ride to the house of commons on a horse, and expect a commoner to hunch down in the mud, so I don't get any grime on my velvet cloak.

Basically, I don't think I would be good with expenses. I steal pens from work.

Corrupt pen stealing Britain eh.

I usually engage in forward planning with regards to positioning of work data manipulation resources. Appropriate resources should be positioned at likely work sites, in case I need to respond to sudden change in location

Kalkino on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Here are my old schools results (still waiting for Business and Science grades to come through, apparently)

A* to C: 91%
    A* to C including English and Maths: 64%

So I'm guessing it'll be fairly low for the EB grade. Not on the guardian website, for some reason. Is it because it's an Academy?

No. I can see my school there, and it was an academy.

Though the table I'm looking at only has the results including English + Maths, and English Baccalaureate.

(79% and 8% respectively)

This the table you're looking at?

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Leitner wrote: »
    Here are my old schools results (still waiting for Business and Science grades to come through, apparently)

A* to C: 91%
    A* to C including English and Maths: 64%

So I'm guessing it'll be fairly low for the EB grade. Not on the guardian website, for some reason. Is it because it's an Academy?

No. I can see my school there, and it was an academy.

Though the table I'm looking at only has the results including English + Maths, and English Baccalaureate.

(79% and 8% respectively)

This the table you're looking at?

Yep. This is my school http://www.kingshurst.ac.uk/.

Possibly because two of their results haven't come through? I'll have a look a bit later. God damn, the King Edward Schools are just so much better than everything else in Birmingham.

There's so much data coming out, like how much money each school spends on a student. I love stats, but god damn it, I have an essay to write!

Perdurabo on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shanadeus wrote: »
    Why are there so many corrupt politicians and government officials everywhere?

Fixed that for you.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The referendum on changing the way MPs are elected could be delayed beyond 5 May, the BBC has learned.
    The vote on bringing in the alternative vote system could be postponed because Labour peers are holding up the progress of the bill which would enable it to happen.

Most parties back AV, but mainly as a step towards further voting reform.

Space Coyote on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm voting No for it.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    WMain00 wrote: »
    I'm voting No for it.

What's your reasoning?

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's looking increasingly likely that our PM won't be leading his party into the next election.

In addition to my earlier post:
    So it turns out that our Taoiseach had a private dinner and a game of golf with one of our worst banking executives two months before enacting the banking guarantee that ultimately ruined us.

So nice to have clean politicians.

It turns out that two other board members of the bank were there and they were discussing the future of the economy.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh Ireland, how you make UK politics seem decent.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    When I first saw that post, I wondered what sort of crap had gone down in Westminster since the 6 o'clock news. Then I saw the location....

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm voting No for it.

Why on earth wouldn't you want some form of PR?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    poshniallo wrote: »
    I'm voting No for it.

Strong Government.

[/tory]

japan on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    japan wrote: »
    I'm voting No for it.

Strong Government.

[/tory]

Oppress me master!

[/igor]

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm voting No for it.

You might be holding out for a better system. On the other hand, a 'No' at the referendum will probably be spun into a 'No voting reform ever', so it might not be the best way to acheive the desired result.

Space Coyote on
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think you'll be screwed either way:
    - Vote for AV, no more improvement from that for years
    - Vote against, no other voting system for years

I still like the idea that's floating around at the moment of House of Lords that is based off PR.

Byelection is apparently much closer to call than polls would have predicted apparently.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm voting No for it.

You might be holding out for a better system. On the other hand, a 'No' at the referendum will probably be spun into a 'No voting reform ever', so it might not be the best way to acheive the desired result.

Indeed. AV is a system I do not particularly like, as AV+/MMP are more my style, but this is not just about that, it is the first that the British public as a whole have had a chance to vote on voting reform and really discuss the issue.

I plan to vote more in support of the concept of voting reform than anything else. Sadly I think a lot of people are going to vote No to somehow punish the Liberal Democrats or the wider Coalition. Which seems like a silly reason to make a decision on voting reform, but then this will be the only vote they get until the General Eletion

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Labour won the Oldham byelection.
    Labour’s Debbie Abrahams took 14,718 votes, over 3,500 more than the Liberal Democrats’ candidate, Elwyn Watkins, who was beaten by just 113 votes last May by Labour’s Phil Woolas, though Woolas was later ejected from his seat by court judges.

However, the disappointing result for the Conservative candidate, Rashif Ali, who received just 4,481 votes, will strengthen Mr Cameron’s party critics, who have argued that the Conservatives failed to throw their weight behind Mr Ali because they wanted the Liberal Democrats to win.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So that's 3,400 people the Lib Dems have angered.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Turnout was around 50%, so it's tough to read much into that result.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Isn't 50% a massive turnout for:
    a) a by-election
    b) any kind of voting in Oldham.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The referendum on changing the way MPs are elected could be delayed beyond 5 May, the BBC has learned.
    The vote on bringing in the alternative vote system could be postponed because Labour peers are holding up the progress of the bill which would enable it to happen.

Most parties back AV, but mainly as a step towards further voting reform.

Exactly. You pretty much have to vote yes on this as otherwise we'll be stuck for the foreseeable future with our awful system. This is progress. A tiny sliver, but enough to push onwards from.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    50% is about 10% more than the general election turnout for that constituency, I believe.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I got a reply from Ed Vaizey (the Minister for Culture, Communication and Creative Industries) in regards to last years 'Two-speed' Internet story. The gist of the letter is that rather relying on regulation to enforce the status quo, they are planning on using as little regulation as possible, unless anti-competitive effects present themselves.

Space Coyote on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I got a reply from Ed Vaizey (the Minister for Culture, Communication and Creative Industries) in regards to last years 'Two-speed' Internet story. The gist of the letter is that rather relying on regulation to enforce the status quo, they are planning on using as little regulation as possible, unless anti-competitive effects present themselves.

So it's about letting the free market have a crack at it. I'm concerned that once the genie is out of the bottle it would be hard to restore fairness.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "We will do nothing until bad things start happening. Then, perhaps, we'll do something."

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ah, the "maybe everything will be okay" strategy. We'll see how that plays out.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/jan/14/oldham-byelection-nick-clegg-labour-victory
    Clegg said: "I think it was a strong result given the circumstances in which the byelection was fought. It was a byelection held in unusual circumstances at a time when the government is taking difficult decisions, of which we are a part. It was clear that it was going to be, and turned out to be, a fairly close race between us and Labour."
    Labour’s Debbie Abrahams took 14,718 votes, over 3,500 more than the Liberal Democrats’ candidate, Elwyn Watkins, who was beaten by just 113 votes last May by Labour’s Phil Woolas

Hrmmm...

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm voting No for it.

The Liberal Democrats didn't win the election so my promise to vote yes for this referendum cannot be kept.

:twisted:

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm voting No for it.

The Liberal Democrats didn't win the election so my promise to vote yes for this referendum cannot be kept.

What's the qualification for winning an election? No party emerged with a majority.

And with AV, that scenario would be far more common.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm voting No for it.

Wait, so what are you basing your decision on? A bet?

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    More tidbits from Campbell:
    Tony Blair had a "wobble" on the eve of his first bombing mission against Saddam Hussein after a late-night reading of the Bible, Alastair Campbell writes in his diaries serialised in today's Guardian.

In a powerful illustration of the impact of Blair's faith on his actions, Campbell writes that a New Testament story about Herod and John the Baptist prompted prime ministerial jitters hours before the launch of an Anglo-American bombing mission against Iraq in December 1998.

Campbell, who famously dismissed questions about Blair's faith by saying "we don't do God", admits in his diaries that the former prime minister often read the Bible before he took "really big decisions".

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    corcorigan wrote: »
    Oh Ireland, how you make UK politics seem decent.

"Proud to be Irish, ashamed of our government" is a good one I've seen doing the rounds on Facebook.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Kalkino wrote: »
    I'm voting No for it.

Wait, so what are you basing your decision on? A bet?

Political trolling in the end really. It's the Lib Dems that really want this AV to go ahead - more so than the rest - but this would be the same Lib Dems that broke a promise...or two.

I'm voting no out of political spite. Heaven forfend.

WMain00 on