As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Single biggest reason behind Spitting Image's success dies.

• Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Political trolling in the end really. It's the Lib Dems that really want this AV to go ahead - more so than the rest - but this would be the same Lib Dems that broke a promise...or two.

I'm voting no out of political spite. Heaven forfend.

The Lib Dems are more interested in voting reform in general, AV is merely a stepping stone. Voting No won't have an effective result at all, so it's really a question of how much you like the current system. It's your vote though, so have fun with it.

Space Coyote on
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The truth is, further to my statement, is that I don't trust any of the governments in Britain to put forth voting reform properly, without it being used to try and improve their own chances of gaining/holding power. I am entirely unsure - probably in the same way the public is - as to whether AV will neutrally reform the voting system, and as much as I'd like to see it as a future stepping stone to further reform, I don't believe any Government will take up the mantle to continue said reform. Remember it has taken the better part of 10-12 years to continune reforming devolution, with most of that time being a hand waving stalemate.

I don't trust my politicians anymore, ergo i'm voting no until I have sizeable proof this will reform the system, and not just act as voting winner for parties.

WMain00 on
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The truth is, further to my statement, is that I don't trust any of the governments in Britain to put forth voting reform properly, without it being used to try and improve their own chances of gaining/holding power. I am entirely unsure - probably in the same way the public is - as to whether AV will neutrally reform the voting system, and as much as I'd like to see it as a future stepping stone to further reform, I don't believe any Government will take up the mantle to continue said reform. Remember it has taken the better part of 10-12 years to continune reforming devolution, with most of that time being a hand waving stalemate.

I don't trust my politicians anymore, ergo i'm voting no until I have sizeable proof this will reform the system, and not just act as voting winner for parties.

Do you trust them to not use your NO vote for their own purposes?

Because if you both trust them so little (a viewpoint I share) and believe that they can suborn any event to their purposes (which I don't believe) then you can't do anything at all about politics. You might as well give up paying any attention to it and emigrate to a sunny land where professional politicians aren't corrupt.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
    edited January 2011
    poshniallo wrote: »

Because if you both trust them so little (a viewpoint I share) and believe that they can suborn any event to their purposes (which I don't believe) then you can't do anything at all about politics. You might as well give up paying any attention to it and emigrate to a sunny land where professional politicians aren't corrupt.

Working on it. >_>

WMain00 on
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Working on it. >_>

No you aren't.

There is no such place.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
    edited January 2011

Working on it. >_>

No you aren't.

There is no such place.

IT'S TRUE! *bursts into tears*

WMain00 on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Working on it. >_>

No you aren't.

There is no such place.

I believe sunny Queensland is well known for its clean, uncorrupt politicians and police. Perhaps a move there?

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I honestly believe that any No vote will be taken by the current government as proof that the people of britain do not want any kind of voting reform. Anything that will make them think otherwise is a good thing, as far as I am concerned.

BobCesca on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    BobCesca wrote: »
    I honestly believe that any No vote will be taken by the current government as proof that the people of britain do not want any kind of voting reform. Anything that will make them think otherwise is a good thing, as far as I am concerned.

Exactly.

Voting no out of spite makes you a silly goose, WMain, that is the long and short of it.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited January 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Exactly.

Voting no out of spite makes you a silly goose, WMain, that is the long and short of it.

I like being a silly goose!

WMain00 on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Exactly.

Please don't vote then. Democracy doesn't need more noise.

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited January 2011

Exactly.

Please don't vote then. Democracy doesn't need more noise.

:?

WMain00 on
  • Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Biff is staying on as leader of his party.

He's tabling an internal motion of confidence in himself on tuesday but there's only a slim chance he'll lose it.

Which is good because it means his party of scumbags will be slaughtered all the more thoroughly in the upcoming election.

Saint Madness on
    edited January 2011
    CPI inflation rate rises to 3.7%
    Changes in prices
    Top risers (% change over 12 months)
    Heating oil: 48%
    Air travel: 13.5%
    Petrol and diesel: 12.9%
    Cooking oil: 11%
    Soft drinks: 9.6%
    Fish: 9%
    Fruit 8.6%
    Rail travel: 7.4%

Top fallers
    Cameras and video cameras: -17.8%
    TVs and DVDs: -8.1%
    Sports equipment: -4.4%
    Second-hand cars: -3.7%
    Financial services: -2.2%
    Games and toys: -2.2%
    Shoes: -1.4%
    Furniture: -0.4%

Jack Straw and David Davis bid to block prisoner votes
    The pair want the government to defy a ruling by the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR).

Ministers say if they do not change the law they will face compensation claims from prisoners costing well over £100m.

This is perfect tabloid fodder seeing it involves the European Court of Human Rights and compensation being paid to prisoners.

MEP Roger Helmer defends Twitter gay comments
    The Conservative MEP said he was just defending the rights of gay people.

Mr Helmer tweeted: "Why is it OK for a surgeon to perform a sex-change operation, but not OK for a psychiatrist to try to 'turn' a consenting homosexual?"

Better news: Bristol gay couple win Cornwall B&B bed ban case

Space Coyote on
    edited January 2011

Mr Helmer tweeted: "Why is it OK for a surgeon to perform a sex-change operation, but not OK for a psychiatrist to try to 'turn' a consenting homosexual?"
    "I am making a comparison between a lifestyle choice of a homosexual who would prefer not to be a homosexual and a lifestyle choice of a woman who would prefer to be a man.

"All I am saying is that homosexuals have a right, if they want to do so, to seek professional counselling and advice - I have not suggested homosexuality is something that needs to be cured."

Christ, what a tosser.

Saint Madness on
    edited January 2011

"I am making a comparison between a lifestyle choice of a homosexual who would prefer not to be a homosexual and a lifestyle choice of a woman who would prefer to be a man.

"All I am saying is that homosexuals have a right, if they want to do so, to seek professional counselling and advice - I have not suggested homosexuality is something that needs to be cured."

Christ, what a tosser.

Twitter certainly is good at letting jerks get their views out there, then people to note such views and respond quickly!

How goes Ireland? I see Cowan has a vote tonight on his leadership - I haven't seen a result yet though

Kalkino on
    edited January 2011
    Kalkino wrote: »

Christ, what a tosser.

Twitter certainly is good at letting jerks get their views out there, then people to note such views and respond quickly!

How goes Ireland? I see Cowan has a vote tonight on his leadership - I haven't seen a result yet though

He'll win it hands down, the only time he shows any good leadership is when his own job is threatened. He needs to remain Taoiseach until the end of April to be able to claim his full pension so he's fought the heave tooth and nail. His opponent meanwhile has been utterly pathetic, he keeps blathering on about being the first person to establish a nationwide smoking ban and when pressed on his own ideologies and the direction he'd take the party he just waffles.

They'll all be gone by summer at any rate, the only real question is whether or not their coalition partners will pull the plug any earlier.

Saint Madness on
    edited January 2011

Christ, what a tosser.

He'll win it hands down, the only time he shows any good leadership is when his own job is threatened. He needs to remain Taoiseach until the end of April to be able to claim his full pension so he's fought the heave tooth and nail. His opponent meanwhile has been utterly pathetic, he keeps blathering on about being the first person to establish a nationwide smoking ban and when pressed on his own ideologies and the direction he'd take the party he just waffles.

They'll all be gone by summer at any rate, the only real question is whether or not their coalition partners will pull the plug any earlier.

Well that does make some sense, if Irish parties have the internal discipline that British or NZ parties do then he is probably safe. MPs are also likely to be sympathetic to pension issues

Kalkino on
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yes, if it's one thing politicians are good at it's looking after their own personal finances. It's a shame they don't take the same attitude to the national level.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
    edited January 2011
    These commissioning reforms seem to be full of massive risk. I don't really see that there is much thought on transition costs or risks. It almost seems like one of the classic internet business plans

1. Devolve commissioning to gp/consortia
    2. ???
    3. Massive efficiency and cost savings!

Kalkino on
    edited January 2011
    _50833615_nhs_flowchart_624.gif

It looks like the reforms will replace the Department of Health and Strategic Health Authorities with an independent board and replace the primary care trusts with more GP consortia.

Space Coyote on
    edited January 2011
    Really, both of those NHS flowcharts need more arrows taking the money from useful areas to an ominous dark circle labelled "bureaucracy" and "???". Possibly some entirely sealed loops too.

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited January 2011
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12228466

Social re-engineering is awesome, apparently.

WMain00 on
    edited January 2011
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12228466

Social re-engineering is awesome, apparently.

The EMA could probably have been better targeted, along the lines of free/subsidised bus passes based on household income, vouchers for school books and stationary supplies, etc. On the other hand, you could argue that the current system for the EMA offers more choice and independence for students.

Space Coyote on
    edited January 2011
    EMA was a great idea, I'm still a little annoyed that I didn't qualify when it was piloted in my borough. Giving kids a small amount of weekly cash seems like a pretty good idea to me, especially when tied to staying in education.

Yes, it's mostly spent on beer. I don't think it's a big issue. Most of my friends lost access to the infinite pockets of their parents when EMA arrived and it bizarrely encouraged more of them to get part-time jobs.

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited January 2011
    EMA is pretty expensive, both in terms of the programme itself and the cost of the administration. In addition, this is going to be compounded by the age of compulsory education being increased to 17 by 2013 and 18 by 2015, in order to ruin education in poorer areas/goose the youth unemployment figures/help our children compete in the future. The coalition have said that they'll replace it with something better targeted, but we'll have to wait and see about that.

Space Coyote on
    edited January 2011
    Oh, if compulsory education ages are increasing, then it really does take the ground from under EMAs feet. It was a bribe to keep kids in school, you don't need that if you're not offering the alternative of work.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Muders at a 12 year low? Gun crimes down 9% Knife crimes down 6%. I wonder how the Telegraph will spin it:

"Burglary surges 9 per cent"

So. Goosing. Predictable.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    edited January 2011
    Half of our cabinet resigned last night. All of them were TDs who aren't contesting the upcoming election.

The Taoiseach apparently orchestrated this so he could bring in some new blood before the Dáil is dissolved but the problem is he didn't tell his coalition partners so they aren't supporting any new appointments.

So all the responsibilities have been reassigned to current ministers in addition to their current portfolios.

Right now one woman is Minister for Arts, Sport, Tourism, Health, Enterprise, Trade and Innovation.

We're a basket case.

Saint Madness on
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's kind of difficult to see how Ireland is going to make it's way out of this without either defaulting on a massive scale or getting equally massive outside help or doing something completely outside the box. And it's difficult to see where that help might come from, since no-one else has any money either.

It's kind of a shame, because Ireland was fun when people had some (illusory) money and something to look forward to. I'm a bit apprehensive of what will happen if they start getting all sad and pessimistic. It's nice being able to go in to the city center without wondering about the IRA bombing stuff, and I'd like that to continue.

(Is there an undercurrent of "blame the English" for this btw? What's the mood over there?)

V1m on
    edited January 2011
    Half of our cabinet resigned last night. All of them were TDs who aren't contesting the upcoming election.

The Taoiseach apparently orchestrated this so he could bring in some new blood before the Dáil is dissolved but the problem is he didn't tell his coalition partners so they aren't supporting any new appointments.

So all the responsibilities have been reassigned to current ministers in addition to their current portfolios.

Right now one woman is Minister for Arts, Sport, Tourism, Health, Enterprise, Trade and Innovation.

We're a basket case.

wow...she must be some sort of superwoman!

Kalkino on
    edited January 2011

We're a basket case.

wow...she must be some sort of superwoman!

Actually she's one of the two ministers who openly revolted against the Taoiseach during the confidence motion. The other one resigned, she refused to do so.

Saint Madness on
  • Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, Alan Johnson has resigned!

At least I'd actually consider voting labour now. Despite all the Lib Dem wrangling, I'd still vote for them purely because I wouldn't trust the labour party to run the country at all.

Anarchy Rules! on
    edited January 2011
    So, Alan Johnson has resigned!

At least I'd actually consider voting labour now. Despite all the Lib Dem wrangling, I'd still vote for them purely because I wouldn't trust the labour party to run the country at all.

Anyone know what really happened? The Guardian are stating that Channel 4 News's political editor, Gary Gibbon has said it relates to "matters of the heart"

Kalkino on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    I am hearing rumours of marital strife. The Tories are being nice about him leaving, so it's probably personal stuff outside the usual 'watching porn or fucking the au pair' choice politicians usually go for.

Bogart on
    edited January 2011
    Think it's just personal reasons rather than anything else.

WMain00 on
  • PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Guido Fawkes seems to think he has the scoop on this one, as this was on his website earlier

Alan Johnson’s suspected affair with a civil servant was widely rumoured around Westminster, it was the reason that people believed that he had not run for leader. The story was kept out of the papers – until now.

This evening Guido sources are pointing the finger at Alex Belardinelli, Special Adviser to Ed Balls, as the person who has been making inquiries into Alan Johnson’s private life. Shadow Cabinet sources say they believe the Sunday Times has the story and Ed Miliband himself believes that Ed Balls’ people have had a hand in the story getting out. Balls chose his moment well, a series of gaffes by Alan Johnson had left him politically weakened. Yet still Miliband rewarded him with the prize he craved…

Hmm, if it does get linked to Balls, then he's fucked before he's started.

Perdurabo on
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Good. Labour need some fresh blood, untainted by Iraq/Orwellionism/power.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone watch 10 o'clock live? I thought it was ok, but Laverne felt like she was the token female. Brooker as always makes the best topical observations, funny, but with a serious point to be made.

Anarchy Rules! on
    edited January 2011
    Perdurabo wrote: »
    Guido Fawkes seems to think he has the scoop on this one, as this was on his website earlier

Alan Johnson’s suspected affair with a civil servant was widely rumoured around Westminster, it was the reason that people believed that he had not run for leader. The story was kept out of the papers – until now.

This evening Guido sources are pointing the finger at Alex Belardinelli, Special Adviser to Ed Balls, as the person who has been making inquiries into Alan Johnson’s private life. Shadow Cabinet sources say they believe the Sunday Times has the story and Ed Miliband himself believes that Ed Balls’ people have had a hand in the story getting out. Balls chose his moment well, a series of gaffes by Alan Johnson had left him politically weakened. Yet still Miliband rewarded him with the prize he craved…

Hmm, if it does get linked to Balls, then he's fucked before he's started.

Yeah, this was the same guy that started those "Hague is gay" rumors and we all know how that turned out.

Saint Madness on