As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How do I type math?

admanbadmanb unionize your workplaceSeattle, WARegistered User regular
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm looking for a program, word processor, or whatnot that can easily typeset equations. Is there anything that does that simpler than, say, LaTeX?

admanb on

• SilverEternitySilverEternity Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Math Type. I believe there is a basic version included within Microsoft Word, but you can also get a free 30-day trial here: http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathtype/?gclid=CKTKkNfI3aUCFcbsKgod6zco4A

It's fairly simple to use and will allow you to format everything properly. It's what I use as a math teacher and I used it for some assignments in college. Also, if you are looking for a math software program I recommend Maple. It is incredible but takes a bit of time to get used to.
    http://www.maplesoft.com/

SilverEternity on
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Microsoft Word 07 and up has an equation editor built in.

Insert -> Equation is all the way on the right hand side of the ribbon.

It's kinda clunky at times, but it works well enough.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Word 03 has it as well. I can't recall if it comes installed by default, but it can be downloaded for free if it isn't.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/insert-an-equation-HP005190247.aspx

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Open Office has an equivalent ability.

evilmrhenry on
  • PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If you're going to be writing a lot of reports which are heavy on math I recommend investing in learning LaTeX.

Papillon on
  • dukederekdukederek Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Papillon wrote: »
    If you're going to be writing a lot of reports which are heavy on math I recommend investing in learning LaTeX.

I cannot endorse this viewpoint enough. LaTeX is only difficult for about half a day of being confused followed by a lifetime of chanting about how "LaTeX Knows Best". It Does.

Download a sample preamble file and a beginner's guide to the syntax and I can guarantee you'll stop considering any other method for writing large files

dukederek on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Long term: go with latex. Its the standard for all mathematical publications and typing your reports in latex will make your professors wet their panties.

Short term: Math type or EXP

Seriously though, just learn latex.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I already do LaTeX. I'm asking for a friend who's looking short term. :)

Thanks for the suggestions, all.

admanb on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    Probably not at all what you're looking for, but it's so cool that I'll mention it anyway: MathJAX

Javascript library for rendering mathematical expressions on a web page. Can apparently render LaTeX and Mathlab syntax.

Echo on
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Probably not at all what you're looking for, but it's so cool that I'll mention it anyway: MathJAX

Javascript library for rendering mathematical expressions on a web page. Can apparently render LaTeX and Mathlab syntax.

Holy shit this is amazing

Ganluan on