As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There's Lies, Damn Lies and British Politics

WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Continuing from last thread.

British Politics is a parliamentary process in which the people vote in MP's based on pledges, find that said pledges were all a lie and they do the opposite in power, and then are frankly surprised when this occurs. Your average British politician is either Cambridge, Eton or Oxford trained, has absolutely no idea whatsoever what the real world is like, and hasn't worked a day in their life.

As of May 2010 the disastrous New Labour party was ousted, along with Gordon "ANGRY!" Brown. In its replacement is a Coalition party made up of the Conservatives (majority party) and the Liberal Democrats (bum wipers). The Conservatives are led by David "Twee" Cameron and the Lib Dems are led by Nick "Clegging it" Clegg.

Unlike the US system where your attitude to fix the current recession is push more money into the economy via spending, the UK government has taken the attitude of cutting everything and anything, as long as it doesn't affect the rich (ie, all british politicians, bankers, etc etc.). Since election they've been doing precisely that, and people are now starting to wonder why they voted them in, in the first place.

As well as the British Government there exists two devolved powers; the Welsh Assembly and the Scottish Government. The Scottish Government is currently ran by the nationalist SNP government, who have done a good enough job even if they use the "IT'S ALL THE ENGLISH GOVERNMENTS FAULT!" once to often.

WMain00 on

• Options
    edited December 2010
    The current big topic is on tuition fee rises, which has successfully created a hell of alot of anger within the student population. The reason for this was a signed promise Clegg gave before the election stating he would remove tuition fees or not vote for any rises. His statement sits on the back of continual statements by Clegg that British Politics had to change and no longer had to exist on lies and broken promises. Woops, as they say.

The vote is today and it's generally not known how it will turn out. There's rumours of backbench rebellion, but there's also rumours they'll all vote for it. Either way we'll all rubbing our hands in glee (well...I'M rubbing my hands in glee) at the thought of the Lib Dems effectively destroying their credibility and chances of ever seeing a vote again FOREVER!

In any case, let's all watch and see what riots happen today!

WMain00 on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Um, I already done'd a thread about this yesterday.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Um, I already done'd a thread about this yesterday.

Oh crap. I didn't see it. Sorry!

WMain00 on