As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Strong female protagonists 6th graders will knowUPDATE PG.3

LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascismRegistered User regular
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I am working with a class of 6th graders once a month to get them aquainted with visiting the library and maybe wake some interest in reading.
To say that the kids in this class are not reading much would be an understatement, in fact a lot of them have a hard time reading at all(these kids mostly come from a background of low income and education, some of them are immigrants).

Next week I want to get them interested in stories and how they are told, I want them to get talking about heroes and villains, what makes a hero, how do these stories work, etc.
I want to use characters they know and like, so I am not doing much on books, or mostly books that have been turned into movies or cartoons.
My list includes Link, Spiderman, Frodo, Luke Skywalker, Monkey D. Luffy etc., but I am looking for a really strong female hero that the kids will know and can't come up with all that much.
One coworker suggested Kim Possible and I like that idea(I don't know the show, but I guess it fits), but there is not much else.
Xena and Buffy is probably too old for 12 year olds today to know them, for the same reason I am not sure about Lara Croft.

So tell me cool iconic kickass girls plz!

Librarian on

• NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well you've already mentioned Luke Skywalker, so how about his sister, Princess Leia?

Roald Dahl's Matilda might be a good one too. I remember liking his books as a kid and most of them have been made into films; and I'm pretty sure Matilda was among them.

That's all I can come up with off the top of my head.

Nechriah on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Samus from Metroid? Probably not, but when I was in 6th grade that was one I would have recognized.

If you're doing comics, X-Men wouldn't be a bad place to start. Jean Grey, Rogue, Storm, and all of them. I would assume them to be pretty well known.

I would love to suggest Jade from Beyond Good and Evil, but no one played that game.

Thinking back on it, Samus may not be recognizable, but you could definitely explain it. Chick in a cool space suit that shoots space pirates and other aliens.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Isn't Leia a bit too passive? Also Luke is clearly the star of the show(or Han). For the same reason I didn't want to take Hermione.

Librarian on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Katara from Avatar: The Last Airbender (Cartoon version for the love of god)

Completely forgot about Mulan. That's another good one. Specially cause it's not just from the Disney movie.

Kyougu on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Alice in Wonderland.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yes, I was thinking about Samus, I am just not sure how popular Metroid is with kids.
    I also intend to include 2 or 3 characters the kids will not know, heroes from legends or mythology, and they will have to use books or the internet to find out about them, so any suggestions on that are fine as well.

Librarian on
  • NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Librarian wrote: »
    Isn't Leia a bit too passive? Also Luke is clearly the star of the show(or Han). For the same reason I didn't want to take Hermione.

She's pretty feisty in A New Hope. When I read "strong female characters", my first thought was of her grabbing a blaster from Luke and shooting a hole in the wall to escape from the bad guys. I know that hole lead to the garbage pit, but the fact I thought of her and the way she took charge of that situation when the guys were all 'HURR DURR' first has to mean something, right? :P

I agree with you about Hermione though; while she's talented and very bright, she tends to play second fiddle to the boys - at least in the first few books/films.

Also, I don't know if kids these days are into Futurama, but I think Leela might be a good candidate.

Nechriah on
  • HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I disagree with your Hermione descision, as she's constantly the one saving Harry and Ron's ass.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Heartlash wrote: »

I disagree with your Hermione descision, as she's constantly the one saving Harry and Ron's ass.

Yeah, Herminone is pretty much a fantastic heroine. She has far more aptitude then Harry and Ron put together.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • randerson84randerson84 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Continuing the Star Wars theme. What about The Clone Wars cartoon characters mainly Ahsoka and Amidala spring to mind for female heroes.

I also agree with Katara and Toph from Avatar: The Last Airbender.

What about Joan of Arc or other historical heroines.

randerson84 on
  • Pipe DreamerPipe Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Do kids still read the Little House books? Laura Ingalls would be a good choice.

Somebody already mentioned Mulan, but Belle is a great heroine too.

EDIT: Also, Dorothy Gale.

Pipe Dreamer on
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Would Wonder Woman work or do kids not know about her these days?

For movies or television, maybe Charlie's Angels, Anne of Green Gables, Supercop, She-ra (I don't think anyone watches that anymore though), Jessie from Toy Story or maybe the mother/daughter from the Incredibles?

If you wanted any books around that age, I'd say the Wee Free Men ones with Tiffany Aching is pretty good, Tamora Pierce pretty much just writes series' with female heroines (Alanna: the first adventure, etc), Colors in the Dreamweaver's Loom, Jane Yolen has some, I think they're called Sister Light, Sister Dark and White Jenna, Dragons of the Lost Sea by Laurence Yep, Anne of Green Gables (of course), the So you want to be a Wizard books by Diane Duane, the Darkangel trilogy by Meredith Anne Pierce.

Hypatia on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dorothy was a whiny, ungrateful little shit. Like Ariel.

Out of the Disney Princesses Mulan is one of the few who was a kickass woman and not a helpless girl.

VisionOfClarity on
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What about some female pro wrestlers?

Like Beth Phoenix and Trish Stratus.

Somewhat fictional, somewhat real.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • InAmberCladInAmberClad Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lyra Belacqua from his dark materials (golden compass was a pretty popular film)

Lucy Pevensie from chronicles of narnia (again, movies were pretty popular)

InAmberClad on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Alice, from Alice in Wonderland? She was pretty adventurous for her time period. And Harriet the Spy, but she's probably not known to most of today's kids, hmm.

I'd definitely use Hermoine, she's a great role model.

LadyM on
  • KabitzyKabitzy find me in Monsbaiya Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Artemis Fowl was something I read in middle school and loved. Now there are tons more books to the series and even graphic novels. As for female protagonists, there is Holly Short from Artemis Fowl:
    the first female LEPrecon (Lower Elements Police Reconnaissance) captain so far, is more skilled, has more chutzpah, and is far more daring than most of her fellow officers.
    Description is courtesy of Wikipedia.

Kabitzy on
    W7ARG.png Don't try and sell me any junk.
    Bother me on steam: kabbypan
  • AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Tiana and Rapunzel from the last two Disney movies

Avraham on
    :bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    Dorothy Gale is different in the books, but nobody's read those. :P

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • KabitzyKabitzy find me in Monsbaiya Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Damn, I'm ashamed I forgot:
    Eowyn from Lord of the Rings. She's pretty bad ass.

Kabitzy on
    W7ARG.png Don't try and sell me any junk.
    Bother me on steam: kabbypan
    edited December 2010
    From my experience talking with kids it does help to present them with things they are interested in. As much as I hate to say it, kids really love the shit outta anime and manga now.

Unfortunately strong female protagonists in anime seem to be harder to come by, at least in the age group appropriate for 6th graders or in anime/manga they would be familiar with.

Most of the characters in Miyazaki Films end up being or are strong female characters. But good luck finding copies of Nausicaa , Mononoke Hime, Howls Moving Castle and Spirited Away in book format.

But once again we are stuck with you trying to get them interested in READING which unfortunately Manga doesnt really fit the bill a whole lot.. But I guess it could be a small victory.

(After re-reading your initial post looks like you have some lee-way.. i'll tell you about what I end up in classes talking about)

So my friend is a Elementary school teacher in a lower income school, good kids not alot of money or the most awesome of home life. A few years ago he asked me if I had any comic book stuff and manga to lend him so he could have some visual aids while they did a unit (mainly for fun since kids lose all interest so close to the end of the school year) on making comics.

Needless to say the kids where floored at the stuff I lent and the next thing I know I was being asked to come in to talk to the kids about anime/manga comic books and all the stuff I had.

I did that and the kids were entralled because here was this adult who knew about all the series they watched and could talk to them about the stories they love, also being an artist myself I can give them pointers and tricks for when they were drawing there comics which they also loved, creating there own comic helped the kids understand how the story creation process would work (albiet at a smaller level)

these were grades 4 to 5

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    To Kill a Mockingbird

The Scarlet Letter

A Wrinkle in Time

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Many of the Studio Ghibli films feature female leads which often overcome their fears and supposed weaknesses, e.g. Totoro, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, The Cat Returns, etc.

Grenn on
  • InAmberCladInAmberClad Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    also if you're doing star wars... Ahsoka Tano? or if you're worried about leia being too passive, what about Padme? at least in phantom menace she was pivotal to the whole deal, very strong female character.

just ignore anything else she did ever.

also... Deryn Sharp from Leviathan.

InAmberClad on
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Grenn wrote: »
    Many of the Studio Ghibli films feature female leads which often overcome their fears and supposed weaknesses, e.g. Totoro, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, The Cat Returns, etc.

Howl's Moving Castle was originally a book by Diana Wynne Jones.

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just a heads up, if most of your kids are from low income families, chances are they won't be as well versed in video game culture as the next kid. Referencing Link, for example, might go over their heads. Super Mario would be a better male hero, since they would know who that is even without owning a video game system.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    edited December 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    Just a heads up, if most of your kids are from low income families, chances are they won't be as well versed in video game culture as the next kid. Referencing Link, for example, might go over their heads. Super Mario would be a better male hero, since they would know who that is even without owning a video game system.

Yea but Mario isnt much of a character other than him jumping on toadstools and saving Peach he doesnt really have much of a story.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    To Kill a Mockingbird

The Scarlet Letter

A Wrinkle in Time

Are... are you recommending Hawthorne for gradeschoolers? Hester Prynne isn't even really... I wouldn't define her as a strong female protagonist. One of the messages of the book is that she ultimately defines herself according to the rules of the society she is ostracized from.

Delzhand on
  • SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I loved the Cam Jansen books when I was little. Apparently they are still going. Also, if you've got any youths in the group with a developing eidetic memory, her technique really works. I've used it for ages. Heh, 'click'. So simple, and so very effective.

Sarcastro on
  • flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My little sister is in the 6th grade and I'm pretty sure she's never heard of ANY of these heroines. (mulan and Hermione might be the only exception) A lot of these are for older generation and an older age group

try to find out what books a lot of these kids are reading, when I worked at a kids summer camp my sister and the rest of the bunch went wild over Percy Jackson. Personally I havent read these, but they've got a lot of greek mythology. Those might be a good place to start!

(gonna also second katara and toph, that show went out of its way to make you knew just how much ass those girls could kick)

flowerhoney on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wonder Woman is pretty iconic.

LockedOnTarget on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thirding or fourthing Katara and Toph.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thirding or fourthing Katara and Toph.

Septing.

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Powerpuff Girls

Casually Hardcore on
  • witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lisa and Marge Simpson?

witch_ie on
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Coraline is a pretty strong female protagonist.

How about Fiona from Shrek?

Edit: Leela from Futurama! How could I forget her?

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    Coraline might be perfect. And that has the advantage of actually being a book, people.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Pippi Longstocking? Do children know about Pippi Longstocking anymore?

ThePantsAssociation on
  • KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    While I liked the Cam Jansen books as well.. it was when I was really young. I think that might be a bit too young for this age group.

Gotta give a third on Coraline though. Great book and pretty much perfect for that age level.

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817