As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Uncharted 3: Drake's GOTY

• Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    So, just completed UC3. I feel like my love for the game went up, up, up....and then came crashing down.

First the bad. It took me a while to realize what was irking me about the enemies, and then I realized it. They only react to being shot when they're not already in the middle of moving. So they can be running and you shoot them a bunch and they...just keep on running. Totally killed it for me, especially since so many enemies LOVED to run right at me and take cover right next to me. The AI I feel is worse in this game then in 2. I can't tell if that's real or rose colored glasses about 2.

I do feel like this had a bit of We had the awesome set pieces in mind before the plot and locations, but whatever, its like a popcorn movie. I'll let it slide.

Now the good. The graphics were top fucking notch. The characters are still fantastic as is the presentation! And I was REALLY fucking mad at (VERY end game spoilers)
    That we had to fight yet another set of over powered enemies with super natural abilities.
    And believe me that whole section annoyed the FUCK out of me, because it just showed all the horrible AI and controls plainly! BUT, I was VERY happy that
    It was all a drug trip and I didn't have to fight a bullshit boss. The end is just how I wanted it, a nice big set piece. MUCH much better and it left a good taste in my mouth.

So.....I think its better then one, but I think because it didn't wow me as 2 did its worse, but that being said, it was still a fantastic game.

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Yeah, for me it's UC2 > UC3 > UC1

UC2 was...perfect. Everything about it was done flawlessly. UC3 has some irritating gun play and the enemies aren't nearly as much fun to fight as they used to be. For me, it's more of a "Crap, I have to fight now" instead of "Alright here we go, fight time!"

Some of the set pieces here are insane,
    The mansion burning down in Eastern France is incredible
    but I think overall UC2 had more of them.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    I havent had this much fun with a game (playing watching and listening) since GOW3...

Its games like this that remind me why i prefer cinematic scripted games over open world
    much better stories and pacing simply beautiful

about to play the e3 demo level (chapter 13 i think)

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Bahaha! Up to Chapter 14 on my Crushing Run and I passed one of the hardest bits in one go.
    It was the open area with tons of pirates and two turrets in Chapter 12. Basically I just stealth killed the first two dudes, then swam my way around to the right, waited until the two guys that appear were looking the other way and then made my way up the scaffolding. I picked up the grenade launcher there then I made my way around to the turret, where I was seen and killed everyone (with a combination of turret and grenades). It was pretty great.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    man, im way more into the multiplayer in this than i thought i would be based on past experience.

• Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the MP is pretty fun, easy to sit down for an hour and do the co-op. I like how it is horde mode with moving goals.

E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Man, FUCK sandstorms.

What the fuck happened between Uncharted 2 and 3? Jesus Christ, there is some really goddamn annoying shit in this game. My dog started lick my face to comfort me during the midst of the sandstorm bullshit.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    i definitely find myself getting a lot more annoyed with this game than i remember getting with the first or second ones. i dont know if the game changed or me though.

• Options
    I think it's the game.

I'm finding the climbing jankier, like it's taking me forever to line up some jumps. And the shooting bits feels more out of 1 than 2, with enemies spawning like assholes behind you and to the side of you, just to fuck you over. Also, FUCK YOU sandstorm. It's bullshit when the enemies can see you and even zoomed in with a sniper rifle, you can't see dick.

And the bit with the horsies
    It was extremely reminiscent of the caravan in 2, but that was insane and intense and I needed a cigarette after. My immediate thought upon starting it up was "This seems familier, like I did it better in something...Oh, yeah! Red Dead Redemption was boss!" I was just kinda annoyed with it in 3.

And adding MORE to the melee combat was not the correct choice, ESPECIALLY when Batman comes out a couple weeks before you. I still think it's a GOOD game, it's just not near as quality as the game the 2nd was and that's very disappointing.

• Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    mugginns wrote:
    Yeah, the MP is pretty fun, easy to sit down for an hour and do the co-op. I like how it is horde mode with moving goals.

I might enjoy co-op if it didn't literally lock up every other time I try to connect.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    Rakai wrote:
    mugginns wrote:

I might enjoy co-op if it didn't literally lock up every other time I try to connect.

I haven't had that problem.

E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    Uncharted 2 generally feels more cohesive because most of the story threads like Chloe's shifting allegiances are brought up in most locations. This time around, there's a heck of a lot more "Nate goes looking for an object, cue an hour of unrelated gameplay" plot hijinks.

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    UC1: Temple of Doom

UC2: Raiders

UC3: Last Cruade

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    I feel counterattacking is not responsive. Everytime I see the button pop up if I don't press it at least twice it doesn't work.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    The_Scarab wrote:

My buddy and I said the EXACT same thing last night.

• Options
    The_Scarab wrote:

My buddy and I said the EXACT same thing last night.

I know. That was me. I'm your buddy.

I'm not your buddy. This is a lie.

• Options
    Then tell me what I said about your penis last night then!

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Just beat it on Crushing today. Hell yes. For what it's worth, I'm really not seeing any of the complaints about the game and thought it was fantastic in its own right. I really find myself agreeing with The_Scarab's post from some pages back about how the game really tried to reign it back in from the constantly-trying-to-outdo-itself Uncharted 2 so that when it -does- get crazy, it means a little more.

Still, Uncharted 3 is definitely a more difficult game than 2 which, again, I don't mind. From memory, there simply weren't enough moments in 2 where I felt challenged to the point of frustration to the point of real, visceral satisfaction when I finally demolished an area in a fell swoop, much like some moments in Uncharted 1. To this day, my fondest gameplay memory of Uncharted 1 was taking out three or four guys in succession on Crushing with a completely grey screen towards the middle of the game thanks to the power of the Iron Fist technique and free-tossing grenades.

End-Game Spoiler
    Specifically the fight towards the end with the fire demons on my first playthrough. I didn't run around and find all the heavy weapons so, well, it was quite a challenge but that made it all the better when I ended up just systematically destroying all of them without even realizing it. I hopped out of cover to try and draw some fire to find out where the remainders were and went "Who else wants to piss me off?!" in a sort of challenging way. Then, I realized that there were no more. I wrecked them.

Yeah. That's right, nobody.

It's a bit frustrating that very few people apparently enjoyed the game as much as I did, but I guess them's the breaks.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    Finished it myself today. I agree with those who said Uncharted 2 was superior.

I did enjoy the game but i found myself dreading the gun fights. Too many enemy spawns and i found targeting frustratingly slow for some reason this time. I dont recall the target reticule moving so slow in U2 (yes i adjusted it in options).

I did like the ending sequence better than the boss fight in Uncharted 2 which seemed slightly out of place.

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    0blique0blique Registered User regular
    I'm not sure I can agree with a lot of the comments you guys have made. So far, my overall impression is that UC3 is roughly on par with UC2. Some parts I feel were handled better, like the boss battles, and the monster enemies, which I never found to be fun in any way. But in other ways, I think UC2 is better, like the pacing of the plot and the number of set pieces (I feel that they way overdid it in UC3). I like the new melee system, although I think it can be improved more into something we can use in multiplayer by adding some depth rather than just mashing circle and square, but I dislike the feel of the new aiming system, which feels jerky and imprecise, thus defeating the purpose of the changes themselves.

The other thing I'd want to complain about is the strength of the armored enemies in co-op. They are much stronger than they are in single player or in UC2 co-op, where they only take a few rounds to the head before they go down but multiple clips if you aim for the body, which I feel is a good compromise that rewards careful aiming. I can understand why they did that, but the overall feel is not that great since you don't really get the sense that shooting at them is making a difference. I suspect that adding a health bar to show how much more damage they can take might help this.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote:

Temple of Doom is a piece of shit affront to the senses, how dare you

• Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote:

I... I like temple. God help me. I love the opening so much. I actually treat it the same way as I do the film that shall not be named. I watch like the first 45-minutes to an hour, then go do something else.

So... will I need a headset to enjoy the co-op?

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    For the most part, it seems the only people who have headsets use it to transmit their breathing, so not really. Technically, it could help your team coordinate by telling them to take cover in the same area or going out to get ammo or whatever, but without anyone else using it, you don't know if they are even listening to you.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    I like Uncharted 1 the best. That said, UC2 is the by far superior gameplay/cinematic experience. Just couldn't stand the cheesines of it.

I haven't played UC3 so far.

• Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    0blique wrote:
    I'm not sure I can agree with a lot of the comments you guys have made. So far, my overall impression is that UC3 is roughly on par with UC2. Some parts I feel were handled better, like the boss battles, and the monster enemies, which I never found to be fun in any way. But in other ways, I think UC2 is better, like the pacing of the plot and the number of set pieces (I feel that they way overdid it in UC3). I like the new melee system, although I think it can be improved more into something we can use in multiplayer by adding some depth rather than just mashing circle and square, but I dislike the feel of the new aiming system, which feels jerky and imprecise, thus defeating the purpose of the changes themselves.

I think Uncharted's melee system was hurt coming on the heels of Arkham City. I realize Drake shouldn't be beating fools with rapid fast acrobatics like the Batman, but it did make it feel very sluggish in comparison.

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    Nik HuzeNik Huze Registered User regular
    I require people to play with. So if your on the list expect a friend request from me.

• Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote:

no, temple is good. not as good as the others, it was a weird direction, but it had some great moments and fun characters. just like uncharted 1 don't deny it

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    0blique wrote:

I think Uncharted's melee system was hurt coming on the heels of Arkham City. I realize Drake shouldn't be beating fools with rapid fast acrobatics like the Batman, but it did make it feel very sluggish in comparison.

I agree. I literally went from playing Arkham City to UC3 and the switch was jarring. Both the melee combat and stealth felt awkward coming on the heels of Arkham City. That said, the melee system feels amazing in that first section, until it dawned on me that it's pretty much just a QTE... after that, it loses it's luster quickly.

I sometimes feel like Naughty Dog literally sold their souls when they made the switch to using MoCap. They used to extol the virtues of keyframe animation, claiming it's the best way to animate. They called MoCap the tool of the devil. Now I can't find that website anymore, nor any mention of it on the internet anymore.

I'm not saying that UC3 isn't amazingly well animated, but there's just something missing. I can't quite put my finger on it. I once considered the Jak games to be the pinnacle of animation for video games... they had an unmistakable charm. That charm bled through into Uncharted and even into 2. Call me crazy but, it's an intangible quality I feel is missing from 3.

It could just be that UC3 didn't have enough moments of levity... or that the characters are well established at this point, so there wasn't much development beyond Drake and Sully. I think the game just tried to be more serious/adult than the Uncharted series needs to be.

In short, more wise cracking treasure hunting, less srs bsns.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Still, that ending sequence was jaw dropping. The absolute perfect fusion of narrative and technology.

• Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Thanks! That sequence took a lot of time to get right.

Darric on
  • Options
    I actually reloaded the checkpoint and called in people to watch the first time I played it.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote:
    Still, that ending sequence was jaw dropping. The absolute perfect fusion of narrative and technology.

OH yeah! Naughty Dog is still my favourite developer when it comes to animation. They know their shit. There definitely were a few moments where I died deliberately so I could redo a sequence ;)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    My general sense with UC3 is that the gunplay doesn't feel as crisp as it does in 2. I don't know if that's because they put way more effort into tuning the mp or not, but the shooting mechanics in the single player just aren't as good this time around.

Furthermore, the jumping mechanics also do not feel as crisp to me. I missed many jumps and fell to my doom and I felt like I had been screwed by the game. Its one thing to time something wrong and die. That's on me. I can live with that. But to do everything right and still die just feels wrong.

I also thought the plot was much weaker in 3. Spoilers.
    I mean, what we had of the story was pretty fantastic, but it also seems like there's a lot of "filler" in there. The entire pirates part with the cowboy hat guy was completely irrelevant to the story and I felt like they should have cut it out or else made it more relevant. I mean, don't get me wrong, the ship levels were awesome, but they didn't do anything at all for the story.

I also felt like the desert parts were too short and too few in number. This game was advertised as being the desert game. We're looking for the atlantis of the sands. And when I finally get there, I spend like 10 minutes in the desert. I felt like things were grossly out of proportion. The player spends more time in lush jungle environments in France than they do in the desert, and the jungle has already been used. Twice.

Finally, they needed to extrapolate on the stuff between Nate and Elaina a whole lot more. I never understood the significance of the rings. Almost as soon as Elaina joins the story, Nate comments that "you're still wearing it" but things were never clear about whether it was an engagement ring or some sort of artifact. I honestly thought at one point that maybe his super Francis Drake decoder ring was part of a set and he had given one to Elaina for safekeeping. They really fucking up the romance in this story.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Erm, the rings thing was fairly straightforward.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    No, it really wasn't. No backstory was given, no explanation for what happened or why Drake made his comment, and the whole thing felt really uninspired. After what happened with Elaina in UC2, they can't not give an explanation for how things ended up like they did. I mean, they didn't give an explanation. But one is dreadfully needed.

• Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    I didn't like the writing in this particularly, but even I have to give them kudos on how they handled the Elena/Drake thing between games. It wasn't really ambiguous - there was a proposal, and she didn't find him dependable enough, but still loved him. They gave everything they needed.

Why would a new ring, never mentioned before in the series, be a simple explanation than she was proposed to?

• Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote:

Of course, going by this logic if they make UC4 we'll get Crystal Skull.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Lucascraft wrote:
    No, it really wasn't. No backstory was given, no explanation for what happened or why Drake made his comment, and the whole thing felt really uninspired. After what happened with Elaina in UC2, they can't not give an explanation for how things ended up like they did. I mean, they didn't give an explanation. But one is dreadfully needed.

I believe they had a conversation that spelled it out. It just wasn't a conflict that bled through as strongly as it could or should have. We were mostly just treated to its resolution.

The two were likely engaged, but Drake still had a fire in him for adventure and excitement, whereas Elena was starting to cool to it all.

Drake: Admit it, you love this as much as I do.
    Elena: No. No I don't.

I was disappointed with Elena being little more than a cameo, but I believe Naughty Dog wanted to focus more on Nathan and Sully's relationship instead. I just wish they would have extrapolated, at least a few minutes more, on the conflict Nathan had with Elena. Or if they didn't have a conflict at all. It felt like a poorly done retread of their fight in Uncharted 2. They could have cut every pirate section before the cruise ship to deal with that, as well as answer more questions or spend more time with Marlowe and Talbot. Those two are what disappointed me the most -- so much wasted potential.

And that's how I feel about the game in general, wasted potential. There was so much that was underutilized, unexplained or that happened too quickly. I could write a few paragraphs about all that, but I'm too tired right now. Suffice it to say, Uncharted 2 was a much better paced game.

Now if Nathan and Elena are still at each other's throats in Uncharted 4, I'm going to feel bored.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    It's also possible that Emily Rose had to go back to work on her tv show so Naughty Dog couldn't use her as much as they wanted (same thing happened with Cutter. He was originally supposed to be in the entire game, but Graham McTavish had to work on The Hobbit)

• Options
    Personally, I kind of prefer that they don't bother to spell out every step of their relationship, as it retains a more realistic feel. Both parties already know what happened, so why would they feel the need to restate it? To do so seems a bit too obvious that you are really addressing the audience, so it breaks the 4th wall a little.