As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Community: hit me with your genie's bottle, rub it all over me (season 3 confirmed!)

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was waiting for Pierce to call LaVar "Toby"

:^:

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was waiting for Pierce to call LaVar "Toby"

I don't get it.

Joolander on
  • Options
    FactorySquirrelFactorySquirrel Marceline's Henchman Land of OooRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ohhhh. Yeah, that would be a total Pierce move.

FactorySquirrel on
    "That man is playing Galaga! He thought we wouldn't notice. But we did."
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Huh. Hot librarian's IMDB says she was in the latest episode, too.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    FactorySquirrelFactorySquirrel Marceline's Henchman Land of OooRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That reminds me:

Who the fuck is Nicholas Nickelby?

FactorySquirrel on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That reminds me:

Who the fuck is Nicholas Nickelby?

In case this is an actual question:

Protagonist of a Dickens novel.

Made a movie about a decade back. Decent viewing.

Spent my childhood with the novel on my parent's shelves, where I assumed it was about vampire hunting for some reason.

I also thought Hoosiers was about killer shoes for years.

I had the stupidest nightmares.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The main character of a Charles Dickens romance. I think there was a movie in the early aughts.

The hot librarian wasn't in this episode; IMDB is all fucked up for Community. I don't think it lists her as being in the episode she is actually in. Also, she was in House and Supernatural!

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I feel like this episode would be funnier if I had any idea who LaVar Burton was.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I feel like this episode would be funnier if I had any idea who LaVar Burton was.

that's debatable. he's just a guy who was on shows. it's basically a reference for a joke which ehh.

the way troy responds though is universal as long as you know it's someone relatively famous that he apparently looks up to.

so still funny but I don't think you're missing the humor personally

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Its in a book

just take a look

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Um, I already knew that. I meant, why did the librarian say Abed was like him?

And yes, I realize the irony of my asking this directly after a series of mentions of Reading Rainbow. :B

FactorySquirrel on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    levar_burton.jpg

Cervetus on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Re: LeVar Burton:

It's a pop-culture thing that is definitely more relevant to the 25-39 viewer age range. This episode triggered a debate on the homefront as to which persona of Mr Burton is more relevant, Mr Host of Reading Rainbow or MR That Guy With the Headband on his Face from Star Trek.

As you can tell, opinions on this were divided. haha.

But yeah, I actually thought it was a huge and hysterical guest star.

"YOU CAN'T DISAPPOINT A PICTURE!!"
    /flail

one of my favorite moments on this show, ever.

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

And yes, I realize the irony of my asking this directly after a series of mentions of Reading Rainbow. :B

No idea.

Nickleby is emotional and at times violent.

Not very like Abed. Unless it's being ironic.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    oh my god

it's that guy

the guy from Star Trek, with the thing on his face.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Cervetus wrote: »
    levar_burton.jpg

<3<3<3

smeej on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

She didn't. Troy said she kept mentioning him. Abed agreed. She never compared anyone to Nicholas Nickelby she just talked about the character a lot.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    levar_burton.jpg

Right click save as

Terrendos on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Terrendos wrote: »
    levar_burton.jpg

Right click save as

BEST FUCKING BELIEVE.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    levar_burton.jpg

Oh thank God. CK's comment made my soul die. Then *BAM* Cervetus comes in with soul CPR.

Thank you Cervetus.

And you, CK ... I'm keeping an eye on you.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I just thought of another continuity thing: in episode five, when Pierce was being bad influenced by Leonard and his posse, we find out that Jeff is Pierce's emergency contact, and he lists Britta as well. In this episode, they were the first at the hospital, and the ones to tell the others.

FactorySquirrel on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just thought of another continuity thing: in episode five, when Pierce was being bad influenced by Leonard and his posse, we find out that Jeff is Pierce's emergency contact, and he lists Britta as well. In this episode, they were the first at the hospital, and the ones to tell the others.

Wouldn't Abed have needed to be first?

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    True! I'm guessing he arranged for his contacts to not be... contacted right away. He was being a manipulative dick and planned all of this, so I wouldn't be surprised if he had already been hospitalized for a few days before the group showed up.

smeej on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Wonder how much he paid that nurse to go along with his scheme.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    InHumanInHuman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    laughed once at the green zone thing.
    that episode just didnt do it for me. also hated the scenes of troy freaking out, although that might have been because of the doc cam.\\
    :(

InHuman on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    InHuman wrote: »
    laughed once at the green zone thing.
    that episode just didnt do it for me. also hated the scenes of troy freaking out, although that might have been because of the doc cam.\\
    :(

The problem is you, friend. :(

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Community was great this week (Britta owned), but Parks and Rec is still the king of Thursday comedy.

SarcasmoBlaster on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm watching the latest episode and man, Pierce is evil.

I do like how upset he seemed to get when Annie asked if her tiara had "Holocaust diamonds" on it.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    levar_burton.jpg

I actually know LeVar Burton (my mom was best friends with him in college) and this is pretty accurate.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I like how nice they portrayed LeVar Burton in the episode. How he even comes to greendale to hang out with Troy to try to get him to talk.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It just occured to my why Pierce didn't bequeath to Abed. He still thinks Abed is mentally handicapped, and either wouldn't understand any mindgames, or just plainly isn't quite a big enough dick to play mindgames on someone like that.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It just occured to my why Pierce didn't bequeath to Abed. He still thinks Abed is mentally handicapped, and either wouldn't understand any mindgames, or just plainly isn't quite a big enough dick to play mindgames on someone like that.

heh heh heh ... ass burgers.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

He also confided to Abed that he wasn't really dying and that this entire thing was for revenge, so...

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I assumed Pierce knew Abed would be immune to such mind games and eliminated him from interfering with the documentary distraction.

smeej on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jokerman wrote: »
    I like how nice they portrayed LeVar Burton in the episode. How he even comes to greendale to hang out with Troy to try to get him to talk.

At the same time, it was amusing how he was kind of a dick to Britta.

Like, LaVar don't need your two-hundred-seventy-one dollars, man. What the fuck?

Variable wrote: »

that's debatable. he's just a guy who was on shows. it's basically a reference for a joke which ehh.

the way troy responds though is universal as long as you know it's someone relatively famous that he apparently looks up to.

so still funny but I don't think you're missing the humor personally

Well, I think LaVar specifically fits into a category of "relatively famous, but not hugely so, but with a highly devoted fanbase." Partly because of the nature of what he did on Reading Rainbow...it's not really that high-profile of a gig, but at the same time it sears him into the memory of any kid that watched it.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Are we forgetting Abed had a breakdown and thought everything was Claymation? I don't get where this Abed can't be messed with idea is coming from.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    him not taking britta's money makes him a dick? whaaaaa

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    him not taking britta's money makes him a dick? whaaaaa

No, him not taking her money didn't make him a dick. His reaction while not taking her money made him kind of a dick.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Are we forgetting Abed had a breakdown and thought everything was Claymation? I don't get where this Abed can't be messed with idea is coming from.

He can be messed with, but you have no way of knowing how to do it, or what the results will be.

I mean, remember the Duncan principle?

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm not sure if they know it was an actual breakdown. I'm not sure if we know it was an actual breakdown. He could have been really bummed about his mom and decided to try and work through his feelings the only way he knew how. By pretending life was a christmas special.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
This discussion has been closed.