As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Community: hit me with your genie's bottle, rub it all over me (season 3 confirmed!)

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    him not taking britta's money makes him a dick? whaaaaa

No, him not taking her money didn't make him a dick. His reaction while not taking her money made him kind of a dick.

I gotta watch it again cause I didn't get that vibe at all

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited February 2011

No, him not taking her money didn't make him a dick. His reaction while not taking her money made him kind of a dick.

Yeah, telling a person you barely know that you are absolutely terrible at managing your shit is kind of a dick move.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    syndalis wrote: »

Yeah, telling a person you barely know that you are absolutely terrible at managing your shit is kind of a dick move.

Exactly. And IIRC the look on his face at the amount offered was pretty priceless. I mean, I could be reading more into it than was there, but I got a strong, "did you really just offer me two hundred bucks do you know who the fuck I am?" vibe.

I mean, LaVar is no Denzel, but the man doesn't have to scrounge for a plane ticket either.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    but she was making a nice gesture because she needed him to stay for her friend...

I feel like we watched different scenes now.

Variable on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I almost thought he would pull a Carl Weathers and say "Why, $250 is exactly what I charge for one more day"

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited February 2011
    but she was making a nice gesture because she needed him to stay for her friend...

I feel like we watched different scenes now.

It was a nice gesture, that he saw as completely foolish and idiotic. Because it was.

And he really didn't let her down nicely.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I took it as more of a "Whoa, you only have $271 in your bank account? I REALLY don't need $271 so badly that you need to empty your checkbook. Keep it."

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I almost thought he would pull a Carl Weathers and say "Why, $250 is exactly what I charge for one more day"

And this is why LaVar will never get himself a soup goin'.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I took it as more of a "Whoa, you only have $271 in your bank account? I REALLY don't need $271 so badly that you need to empty your checkbook. Keep it."

I think it was more that when people make offers like that to him, they're millionaires or something like Pierce who can afford it, so it's not a big deal to take their money. His look of shock was that it was someone broke (or maybe not she gets money from random places) like Britta who wanted to pay him just to keep him around.

It wasn't douchey

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pierce has crossed the line so many times and in so many ways that I find it impossible to muster any positive feelings for his character. Even within the bounds of suspended disbelief I still can't see why they tolerate him. You can only pull the "I'm secretly vulnerable" as an excuse for doing truly awful things so many times.

MrMister on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    syndalis wrote: »

This is LeVar Burton, fuckdammit. LEVAR BURTON. THIS IS A GUY THAT CONSTANTLY HAD TO BUDGET THE ENTERPRISE'S DILITHIUM CRYSTAL ECONOMY. AND HE WAS BLIND. HE KNOWS A THING OR TWO ABOUT HOW TO MANAGE ONE'S COFFERS.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Unfortuately rainbows turned out not to be free.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MrMister wrote: »
    Pierce has crossed the line so many times and in so many ways that I find it impossible to muster any positive feelings for his character. Even within the bounds of suspended disbelief I still can't see why they tolerate him. You can only pull the "I'm secretly vulnerable" as an excuse for doing truly awful things so many times.

This is why I was miffed that this episode provided no grand catharsis for him. The episode was great, but it wasn't what was needed. They kicked Pierce out of the group for less in season 1. I can't think of a reason any of them would interact with him besides the fact that Troy lives with him.

Instead of turning Pierce around, they made him a bigger dick. And yeah that was totally in character and hey, subverting our expectations and playing "realistic" human characters in a t.v. show setting is what Community does but y'know what would be just as subversive and realistic? Tossing a main character for being an irredeemable dick.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think tolerating Pierce fuels Jeff, Britta, and Shirley's narcissism. Shirley gets to take the moral high ground and 'forgive' him, Jeff gets to think Pierce depends on him, and Britta gets to act selfless and principled by befriending (or helping) this pariah.

Abed is Abed, and Troy and Annie don't seem the type to hate/hold grudges.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's just not plausible to me that, after
    exposing Shirley's infidelity

and
    faking a reunion with Jeff's missing dad

anyone, no matter how narcissistic, could still put up with him. As I said, it feels like he's crossed a line into the utterly inexcusable more than once. Those things aren't ha-ha wrong, they're you're-dead-to-me wrong. I understand having a wacky grouch who doesn't really have redeeming features but provides comic relief, and how that fits into the sitcom universe, but he has gone beyond wacky antics and into really awful territory.

MrMister on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think tolerating Pierce fuels Jeff, Britta, and Shirley's narcissism. Shirley gets to take the moral high ground and 'forgive' him, Jeff gets to think Pierce depends on him, and Britta gets to act selfless and principled by befriending (or helping) this pariah.

Abed is Abed, and Troy and Annie don't seem the type to hate/hold grudges.

Also, Troy lives with Pierce, so you couldn't kick Pierce without putting Troy in an awkward position.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Every character has grown this season except Piece, who's regressed.

But the writers were good enough to make Shirley likeable. I'm sure they'll chang things around.

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    When did they make Shirley likeable?

Also, Pierce was the one who stuck with Abed the longest in the X-Mas special.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MrMister wrote: »

This is why I was miffed that this episode provided no grand catharsis for him. The episode was great, but it wasn't what was needed. They kicked Pierce out of the group for less in season 1. I can't think of a reason any of them would interact with him besides the fact that Troy lives with him.

Instead of turning Pierce around, they made him a bigger dick. And yeah that was totally in character and hey, subverting our expectations and playing "realistic" human characters in a t.v. show setting is what Community does but y'know what would be just as subversive and realistic? Tossing a main character for being an irredeemable dick.

That was one of my big problems with the D&D episode. Pierce using shapechange to make Neils character as fat as Neil was in real life was an impressive level of douchebaggery (I actually paused the show stunned at Pierce's skill in destroying people), but it wasn't funny.

Of the last 4 episodes 3 of them have revolved around Pierce being a jerk. Far past time to move on to a new subject.

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    When did they make Shirley likeable?

Also, Pierce was the one who stuck with Abed the longest in the X-Mas special.

He didn't do that for Abed. He did it for the cookies and because the alternative was going home and being alone for the Holidays.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Terrible things Pierce has done that would get any real person booted from a friend group (off the top of my head):
    - Pantsing Shirley in front of the group (which they actually kicked him out for!)
    - Sexually harassing Shirley often
    - Being unabashedly racist and sexist
    - Tormenting a suicidal guy by setting out to crush him in the game he uses to escape from bullying
    - Exposing Shirley slept with Chang to the whole group and her ex-husband
    - Exploiting the groups kindness by turning a vulnerable moment into an opportunity to screw with them
    --> as a side note, if someone tried to reunite me with my absentee dad like that, I would beat said person with a pipe. This last episode was well done and it was funny, but that Jeff/Pierce exchange was weird to watch. That is a line you do not cross. Though I suppose it did allow Jeff to come to terms with his father issues, and that made Pierce's scheme notably more forgivable.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It seems that Pierce has changed from grouchy politically incorrect comedy relief to actively malevolent bad guy

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    I've read this thread and the Sepinwall piece but I don't really think there is a "Pierce problem" so much as a Pierce story that we are in the middle of.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    I've read this thread and the Sepinwall piece but I don't really think there is a "Pierce problem" so much as a Pierce story that we are in the middle of.
    I think we all kind of figured we'd see it wrap up in this last episode. But there wasn't any resolution or catharsis to it.

I hope it's an arc and not a slide.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I agree.

Arcs I would like to see more of:
    Annie making ends meet (explore her backstory more)
    Troy's life at Pierce's home (maybe Pierce is gone and they all have a night there looking around)
    More Shirly and Shirly's husband

useless4 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

The problem is that according to Sepinwall the Russo brothers claimed that this was Pierce's redemption episode and if that is true the writers and producers have seriously underestimated how badly Pierce is coming off to viewers.

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So after a really crappy semester Pierce kept escalating being a dick until Jeff kicks the shit out of him for it.

Pretty good conclusion right there. Last year's Christmas episode already outlined physical aggression as an american male cathartic way of blowing off steam and resetting things socially.

I would love to see Neil join the group though, maybe push back Chang and Pierce slightly. Neil is a character with a ton of potential.

useless4 on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Neil wouldn't add anything imo. He's good as a background character.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What? Why would Neil join the group? He hasn't even had any speaking lines.

Giving Fat Neil a slightly larger role might be ok though.

heh, slightly larger

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    did you miss the D&D episode or something? because neil had plenty of lines in there

don't think he'd be a good group addition, though

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    did you miss the D&D episode or something? because neil had plenty of lines in there

don't think he'd be a good group addition, though
    "You were standing next to.... the other Neil."

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    devCharles wrote: »
    Cervetus wrote: »
    I feel like this episode would be funnier if I had any idea who LaVar Burton was.
    levar_burton.jpg

I actually know LeVar Burton (my mom was best friends with him in college) and this is pretty accurate.

Your mom banged Kunta Kinte? Because you know College girls...

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    edited February 2011

The problem is the arc seems to have ended with this last episode, and that ending just won't cut it.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I actually couldn't care less about all these things

pierce has been hysterical as has the show so if literally episode was him being a prick and them responding like this I'd be fine with it.

also I mean, they DID try to exclude him from D&D. they cared that he od'd cause they've spent a lot of time with him.

there hasn't been that much of him in the group lately except specifically as an enemy. if the storyline is over, that means these characters feel that being an addict who also felt shunned justifies his behavior as long as he cleans up now. I can accept that, even moreso after what ArbitraryDescripter said above.

also him making neil as fat as fat neil was very funny. I laughed at it again on 3rd viewing last night.

Variable on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    devCharles wrote: »
    Cervetus wrote: »
    levar_burton.jpg

I actually know LeVar Burton (my mom was best friends with him in college) and this is pretty accurate.

Your mom banged Kunta Kinte? Because you know College girls...

I think they spent more time making fun of Ron Howard.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pierce is family. You don't kick out a family member no matter how much you despise them. The only family members I've ever written off are the ones that clearly don't want to be a part of the family anyway. Pierce's overarching crime is that he desperately wants to fit in. He's annoying, yes. He is suicidally annoying. And awkward. But his whole modus operandi, from the second episode on, has been to try and gain some clout.

Watch the way he acts in every episode and you will see that that is what his entire persona is focused on. Britta even names it in the second episode. Everything he does - his bragging about his laser lotus rank, his gadgetry, throwing around money, blustering about respect, being upset by his myriad exclusions, and so on.

Does that justify his meanness? No. But it's not out of character - it's the same Pierce, all that has increased is his bitterness. He's still clinging to the group despite how they have treated him. And whether or not they were justified in treating him that was is kind of irrelevant here when you're trying to analyze Pierce and why he is the way he is.

I don't think, I don't expect, and I don't WANT Pierce to just throw his hands in the sky and change for the better or whatever. What I think needs to happen (and what I hope DOES happen) is that the group and Pierce meet somewhere in the middle. Jeff seems to understand it somewhat at the end - that he was projecting a lot on Pierce. It doesn't excuse Pierce's behavior, but so what? In a family, you often have to deal with the dumbshit things your family members do.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I actually couldn't care less about all these things

pierce has been hysterical as has the show so if literally episode was him being a prick and them responding like this I'd be fine with it.

See, this is where we disagree. When he goes too far I just don't find it funny anymore. Instead I find it confusing (why does anyone put up with this?) and vaguely upsetting (this stuff is not okay!).

Ironically, I think Pierce is handled the most sentimentally of anyone on the show. In real life he'd be out on his ass before you could say "terrible person." But because this is a show about community of the d'awww variety, it means that everyone has to keep coming together and re-welcoming him.

MrMister on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    See, this is where we disagree. When he goes too far I just don't find it funny anymore. Instead I find it confusing (why does anyone put up with this?) and vaguely upsetting (this stuff is not okay!).

I got that a bit less from this episode compared to the D&D episode. Pierce was being horrific, and I was really expecting a form of retribution from the group that was more than just exclusion because he's a dick.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    also, I just watched the episode again, and really LeVar was delivering the hugest complisult to Britta

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    well now you're just explanibragging :?

Joolander on
This discussion has been closed.