Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

MMA XII: Congratulations to Spectrum, Dana White

15758596062

Posts

  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's kind of disappointing that only one judge scored round two 10-8 Silva.

    edit: also on dg's point I really wouldn't mind them splitting HW into 206-230 and 231-265 if there's enough talent to do so

  • adytumadytum Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also, steroids.

    etxvv5.jpg
  • DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I also kinda felt bad for Arlovski. It must really suck to be such a skilled figher cursed with a glass jaw.

    He had some really great movement early in the fight, landing some crisp combinations before he got tagged a few times.

  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User
    edited February 2011
    I don't think Arlovski has a glass jaw. The people who've knocked him out all have very powerful strikes. Brett, Sergei, and Fedor.

    Also, eventually, there will be another weight division in MMA for people that are literally almost three hundred pounds.

    Even though I am sad, I'm looking forward even more to the Strikeforce GP. I mean, a guy like Fedor lost on the first round.

    If that doesn't say that the competition is serious then I frankly do not know where you're going to find any better.

  • TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    I think Fedor was intelligently defending himself.

    He wasn't deflecting all of the blows, but he was stopping some and trying to wrestle the giant dude off of him.

    Edit: Seriously though, a large man like Silva is retardedly hard to get off of you in full mount. Fedor was obviously making an effort and wasn't just turtling up. You can't stop a fight because a huge guy sits on you.

    Yeah no one is making excuses for Fedor right? He was defending himself? The old eyes closed one hand up defense!
    Spoiler:

    Oh and Silva wouldn't have been able to do anything in round 3? What would he have to do to beat this:
    Spoiler:

    I totally understand that Fedor is super popular (I have a Fedor Slurpee cup wooo!) but just stop with the excuses ok? In my opinion he was done. He lost a round at least 10-8 he was mounted with ease and he got rolled. Good game.

    He can still fight if he wants he's obviously an excellent fighter but his day seems to be going into twilight
    I can post pictures where someone has their eyes closed and claim they were just flailing with their eyes shut the entire time, too!

    I am not saying that Fedor was winning the fight. I think he took the first round and got his ass dominated the second, but in no way does trying and succeeding at deflecting shots to the head in mount position, while squirming around and getting to back position mean you are not trying to get out of harms way.

    When a guy covers his hand a hides from the blows, things should be stopped, but Fedor was aware of wat was happening and trying to improve his position.

    Do you really think I am a fanboy for disagreeing with you over the fact that the fight should have been stopped...when the ref didn't stop it either?

    I may think Fedor could have won the fight overall if the fight would have continued, but he could have just as easily been taken down and laid on for the 3rd. I don't know, but I do know that Silva would have been exhausted after an entire round of punching and squeezing submissions.

    It isn't me being an excuse throwing fanboy to agree with the refs handling of the maunt portion of the fight, it's you being of the opposite spectrum and hating on the Fedor fans.


    If you know what is going on and are trying to improve your position, the fight should not be stopped. Period.

    Spec_Banner.png
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared PA's Most Gifted, Most Beautiful Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Spoiler:

    I guess you forgot when you write this:
    I honestly believe that Silva would have been useless in the third round, had Fedy not lost due to eye stoppage.

    I think he very well could have won with how gassed Silva would have been. (I know Fedor would have been tired, but not to the extent Silva would have been, throwing punches and submissions left n right all round)

    Yeah the guy without the broken nose or the swollen shut eye would have been useless. Since he looked super useless in the 2nd and didn't look gassed at all to me. No fanboy rose colored glasses there. None at all

    Seriously it's ok that he lost, it happens sometimes Silva was what 50 pounds heavier than him? He isn't a bad fighter but how badly does he have to get pounded before people stop going "OMFG HE STILL COULD HAVE WON!!!" I'm sure if both eyes were closed you would have said "HE STILL HAS THE FORCE!"

    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    League of Legends: metaljared
    XBL: Metal Jared | PSN: SoulCrusherJared | Twitter: @metaljared
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You seem to think I am fanboy raging about the stoppage, which I am not.

    I think that had his eye been in slightly better shape, he could have won the fight.

    I don't see how that isn't resonable, especially given how Fedor has come back to win fights in the third before.

    Hell, only one of the judges gave the 2nd round a 10-8. 2 scored the first for Fedy.


    Edit:
    The guy still had the strength to turn over multiple time with a 260+ (Gus said he weighed in at 280+ on the fight night) guy mounting him.

    He fought out of a choke at the end of the 2nd.

    He was probably no where near as gassed as Silva would have been. Which we can't know. I assume he would have been.

    You seem to be speaking in absolutes that aren't there and quite frankly, you're being a bit of a cock about the whole thing.

    Spec_Banner.png
  • mojojoeomojojoeo Ghost dog at my side.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That being a cock thing cuts both ways son.

    He lost. He lost hard. There are not ifs. There are not buts. This isn't the judges called it wrong. This was decimation.

    Arguably the greatest fighter we will see, too.

    Also does a man that thinks he was not beaten hint at retirement immediately after the fight?

    Marge Simpson: You liked "Rashomon".
    Homer Simpson: That's not how I remember it.
  • SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Silvia wasn't gassing, there really wasn't any indication of that watching him sit after the 2nd... he didn't stumble back to his corner or anything. He wasn't a Shane Carwin shade of purple.

  • TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    That being a cock thing cuts both ways son.

    He lost. He lost hard. There are not ifs. There are not buts. This isn't the judges called it wrong. This was decimation.
    Where the hell did I say the judges got it wrong?

    I am speculating on hwo the fight could have gone if his eye hadn't been as much of a factor.

    I am arguing that it shouldn't have been stopped when he was mounted.

    Where the hell am I disputing that he lost in way way shape or form?

    Edit: To be fair Snarf, he's much darker than Carwin. Not to mention the fact that the body takes some time to catch up to pace, usually after a slight rest. Silva could have easily been running on adrenaline at the end of that round.

    Spec_Banner.png
  • adytumadytum Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Truly, Fedor was only 9/10ths of a man after that fight.

    etxvv5.jpg
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared PA's Most Gifted, Most Beautiful Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    You seem to think I am fanboy raging about the stoppage, which I am not.

    I think that had his eye been in slightly better shape, he could have won the fight.

    I don't see how that isn't resonable, especially given how Fedor has come back to win fights in the third before.

    Hell, only one of the judges gave the 2nd round a 10-8. 2 scored the first for Fedy.


    Edit:
    The guy still had the strength to turn over multiple time with a 260+ (Gus said he weighed in at 280+ on the fight night) guy mounting him.

    He fought out of a choke at the end of the 2nd.

    He was probably no where near as gassed as Silva would have been. Which we can't know. I assume he would have been.

    You seem to be speaking in absolutes that aren't there and quite frankly, you're being a bit of a cock about the whole thing.

    First saying that only one judge gave that round a 10-8 means nothing at least to me and most people who have any understanding of MMA. The judges are morons. Seriously, they suck. I don't remember what fight it was at the last UFC but the decision was like 29-28, 29-28, 27-30 split decision. So one judge scored two rounds the opposite of what the other judges did. Right.

    Second if you want to say "I think that had his eye been in slightly better shape, he could have won the fight." what the fuck kind of argument is that? Yes if Fedor hadn't been hurt he could have won. If Fedor fought better he could have won. If Fedor beefed up to 265 he could have won. If Fedor had space aliens splice his DNA with a Panzer tank, he could have won. That's not an argument as to what happened that is playing the what if game. So you're right, it's totally reasonable to think that if the fight turned out differently, the fight would have turned out differently. I concede your point that has nothing to do with what happened.

    Lastly: "You seem to be speaking in absolutes that aren't there and quite frankly, you're being a bit of a cock about the whole thing"

    Fedor lost the fight, he got dominated in the second round, his eye was shut and his nose broken. You're right those are the absolutes that I am talking about, you are more than welcome to disagree. That's cool. As for me being a cock? I'll be here all week, tip your waiter, try the veal.

    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    League of Legends: metaljared
    XBL: Metal Jared | PSN: SoulCrusherJared | Twitter: @metaljared
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User
    edited February 2011
    I almost have the new OP ready to go. Just a few more add ons, and we're set for UFC 127.

  • TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Seriously, you are responding with the classic fanboy outrage, just tailored to an attack instead of a defense.

    I guess I can't speculate about a third round after a doctor stoppage or defend the ref's choice not to stop the fight during a tense moment or else I am some fanboy nerd-rager.

    Spec_Banner.png
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared PA's Most Gifted, Most Beautiful Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Seriously, you are responding with the classic fanboy outrage, just tailored to an attack instead of a defense.

    I guess I can't speculate about a third round after a doctor stoppage or else I am some fanboy nerd-rager.

    Your speculation was based upon Silva being gassed which we have nothing to base that on, and Fedor not having a closed eye which we have definitive proof that wasn't true. Yup it's totally an attack. Fedor lost dude, it's ok. Silva fought really well, and he won.

    My outrage is that all I see is excuses for why Fedor lost. The doctor shouldn't have stopped it, he could have won in round three, the round was only a 10-9 round etc etc. No worries though. I'm totally the bad guy here. And the fanboy. And outraged. And everything else. Fedor didn't lose, the system failed him.

    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    League of Legends: metaljared
    XBL: Metal Jared | PSN: SoulCrusherJared | Twitter: @metaljared
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is it wrong of me to even mention that Randy could have beaten Brock had he not ducked into the punch that caused him to get hit behind the ear?

    Sorry, that's stupid. I must be a Handy fanboy because HE LOST BOO HOO.


    Christ, Jared.


    Edit: Seriously dude, the eye could have taken one punch too many and it may have gone to the third round otherwise. It isn't so insane to think that this barely made it to the point where it had to be stopped. You could still see him blinking during the post-fight interview.

    I have seen worse eyes not have the fight stopped, but I don't disagree with the stoppage - I just don't think it was as clear cut as you.

    Spec_Banner.png
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think what Jared is saying is that you came off as sounding like you were making excuses for why Fedor lost, Spectre.

    I'm not saying you were, but pretty much the entire internet MMA fanbase is right now, and it is getting irritating to see.

    Fedor deserves all the credit in the world, but in my opinion that fight should have been stopped a lot sooner. Same for GSP/Koscheck. If you're a ref, the instant you see someone's eye balloon up that big, you stop the fight. ASAP.

  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User
    edited February 2011
    I think we are all forgetting one crucial fact here.

    The Brazilians... are taking over... (the world)

    I better learn Portuguese as soon as possible.

  • adytumadytum Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fallo Portuguese.

    etxvv5.jpg
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared PA's Most Gifted, Most Beautiful Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Is it wrong of me to even mention that Randy could have beaten Brock had he not ducked into the punch that caused him to get hit behind the ear?

    Sorry, that's stupid. I must be a Handy fanboy because HE LOST BOO HOO.


    Christ, Jared.


    Edit: Seriously dude, the eye could have taken one punch too many and it may have gone to the third round otherwise. It isn't so insane to think that this barely made it to the point where it had to be stopped. You could still see him blinking during the post-fight interview.

    I have seen worse eyes not have the fight stopped, but I don't disagree with the stoppage - I just don't think it was as clear cut as you.

    You can say whatever you want. If Vitor guarded that front kick maybe he beats Silva. If Brock hadn't moved in a way that caused Cain to hit him somewhat in the back of the head maybe he wins. If Arlovski just threw a gigantic punch right when the fight started maybe he wins. That's the thing though, looking back you can always find ways fighters can win. "If he only did this" or "if only this didn't happen" it's the same in any sport "if only that pass wasn't deflected' or "if only that puck didn't touch his skate"

    It gets tiring though when someone gets the shit kicked out of him and everyone wants to jump in the fucking Delorian to figure out why he should have won BECAUSE HE CAN'T LOSE HE'S FEDOR!!!! For fucks sake "the eye could have taken one punch too many and it may have gone to the third round otherwise"

    NO FUCKING SHIT. You can say that about every fight in the history of fighting. If shit happened differently, they would have happened differently. Don't you get what I'm saying? Yup if Chael Sonnen wasn't an idiot and got into that Triangle he would have won and then stripped of the title. That didn't happen though so oh well too bad.

    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    League of Legends: metaljared
    XBL: Metal Jared | PSN: SoulCrusherJared | Twitter: @metaljared
  • adytumadytum Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    C'mon guys.

    It says right there in the OP.

    "Don't be a dick."

    etxvv5.jpg
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am just disappointed because I saw it to be a close stoppage and Fedor was obviously still game.

    I think that while Silva dominated the second round, Fedor took the first and it could have gone either way in a third round.

    I am aware Fedor lost and I agree with it, but I don't believe that it was as glaring a loss as others and I apparetly come off as making excuses for Fedor?


    Edit:
    I feel as though I am being raged at for expressing an opinion. One that is thought out and expressed with some intelligence.

    If I wanted rage then I would go to Sherdog.

    Spec_Banner.png
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User
    edited February 2011
    adytum wrote: »
    C'mon guys.

    It says right there in the OP.

    "Don't be a dick."

    I removed that rule from the new OP because... well, come on. You've been here long enough too.

    Genki Sudo would be disappointed in how people have been acting though.

  • adytumadytum Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    adytum wrote: »
    C'mon guys.

    It says right there in the OP.

    "Don't be a dick."

    I removed that rule from the new OP because... well, come on. You've been here long enough too.

    Genki Sudo would be disappointed in how people have been acting though.

    Your thread is going to devolve into a fetid swamp of Dana-Whiticisms.

    Don't say I didn't warn you.

    I hope you're leaving in the "absolutely no puns" clause.

    etxvv5.jpg
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User
    edited February 2011
    No, I got rid of that too.

    You see, seeing how Fedor is no longer invincible... there is no point in living.

    Frankly I am surprised to see that the nukes haven't been launched yet.

    I would be typing this from a bunker... but I spent all the money betting on Fyodor.

  • TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am serious though and want to get this finished up before the new thread:

    Is speculating about how a close stoppage or a freak KO fight could have gone deserving of the response I got.

    Jared seems to be expressing his rage for a community that I am not part of
    MJ wrote:
    It gets tiring though when someone gets the shit kicked out of him and everyone wants to jump in the fucking Delorian to figure out why he should have won BECAUSE HE CAN'T LOSE HE'S FEDOR!!!!

    I never said this, or acted like this and yet I am on the receiving end of his tirade and people think I brought it onto myself or some crap?


    I seriously want to know because I post here to get away from that kind of mentality.


    Edit:
    I'll be the first to stop if I am not being reasonable.

    =/

    Spec_Banner.png
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You can speculate about anything.

    What would have happened if the doctor didn't stop the fight, and Fedor fought to a 3rd round?

    What would have happened if they stopped Booth from shooting Lincoln?

    What would have happened if Firefly hadn't been cancelled?

    I think Jared's just upset because it sounded like you were giving excuses for why Fedor lost, something literally half of the MMA fans on the internet are doing right now. Again, I'm not saying you were, but from how you worded it, that's what it sounded like.

  • adytumadytum Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Everyone's being generally goosey and imprecise with their wording.

    etxvv5.jpg
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
  • SpectrumSpectrum Super High-School Level ??? Hope's Peak AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Damn yous, Spectrum.

    Damn yous to hell.
    I'm just saying, if I had been seeded directly into the finals, I wouldn't have had to personally crush so many hopes and dreams.

  • mojojoeomojojoeo Ghost dog at my side.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You can speculate about anything.

    What would have happened if the doctor didn't stop the fight, and Fedor fought to a 3rd round?

    What would have happened if they stopped Booth from shooting Lincoln?

    What would have happened if Firefly hadn't been cancelled?

    I think Jared's just upset because it sounded like you were giving excuses for why Fedor lost, something literally half of the MMA fans on the internet are doing right now. Again, I'm not saying you were, but from how you worded it, that's what it sounded like.

    This would be the issue.

    Marge Simpson: You liked "Rashomon".
    Homer Simpson: That's not how I remember it.
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Spectrum wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Damn yous, Spectrum.

    Damn yous to hell.
    I'm just saying, if I had been seeded directly into the finals, I wouldn't have had to personally crush so many hopes and dreams.

    Spectrum, how does it feel to be the top P4P in the most disputed division of the PAFC?

  • adytumadytum Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Spectrum wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Damn yous, Spectrum.

    Damn yous to hell.
    I'm just saying, if I had been seeded directly into the finals, I wouldn't have had to personally crush so many hopes and dreams.

    Spectrum, I promise you will lose next PAFC.

    If it has to be me that ends the streak, so be it.

    But you will not be undefeated much longer. I guarantee it.

  • Metal JaredMetal Jared PA's Most Gifted, Most Beautiful Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    adytum wrote: »
    Everyone's being generally goosey and imprecise with their wording.

    What do you want me to say?

    Spectre can think whatever he wants. But the opinions he expressed (Silva would have been gassed, Fedor would have won in round 3, if Fedor's eye was ok he would have won) aren't valid to me (hindsight is 20/20). Obviously you guys think that's me being a dick. That's cool. I will say this now and I believe it 100% all of your opinions are valid even if I don't agree with them. Just because I don't agree with Spectre's opinions does not invalidate them or make them wrong.

    But then I always get "fanboy" this and "rage" that. Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I'm passionate therefor I'm "just bleed" or I suck up to Dana White or whatever. That's totally cool too. I agree with my own opinions and my own observations (obviously) or else I wouldn't express them.

    I just don't get how pointing out that Spectre has (in multiple posts and in multiple ways) made excuses for Fedor (listed above) and say that I'm the one being a dick for pointing out why I disagree with that way of thinking. Personally? I don't know how anyone can see a valid argument in "well if his eye wasn't closed he would have won" because that just wasn't the case. If we start changing the facts of fights we can go through every fight ever and change the outcome. Again that's just me. If Spectre wants to theory up the fight that's an option though not one I would choose. Again though, just the ramblings of a raging Dana White suckup fanboy. Take it for what it's worth

    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    League of Legends: metaljared
    XBL: Metal Jared | PSN: SoulCrusherJared | Twitter: @metaljared
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User
    edited February 2011
    I'm going to make the new thread now.

  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Echoing what others have said, Fedor needs to stop eating Ice Cream and make 205, he is still a skilled fighter and dropping 2 should not equal retirement...unless of course he doesn't care any-more.

    Oh and I am calling either Reem or Barnett in this tourney, I still think Josh has a great chance.

  • SpectrumSpectrum Super High-School Level ??? Hope's Peak AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Spectrum wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Damn yous, Spectrum.

    Damn yous to hell.
    I'm just saying, if I had been seeded directly into the finals, I wouldn't have had to personally crush so many hopes and dreams.

    Spectrum, how does it feel to be the top P4P in the most disputed division of the PAFC?
    Well, I'd first like to thank my coaches, my training partners, the makers of 5 Hour Energy drinks, and my opponents for agreeing to fight me instead of running away screaming. Most importantly, I'd like to thank Xenu, without him I would be nothing.
    Spectrum wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Damn yous, Spectrum.

    Damn yous to hell.
    I'm just saying, if I had been seeded directly into the finals, I wouldn't have had to personally crush so many hopes and dreams.

    Spectrum, I promise you will lose next PAFC.

    If it has to be me that ends the streak, so be it.

    But you will not be undefeated much longer. I guarantee it.
    I welcome it! Every month I fear for myself, there's just so much pressure.

    Maybe I should use some 12-6 elbows next time and get myself DQ'd in the middle of killing a dude.

  • TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jared it isn't your argument that is the issue.

    It's how you are presenting it.

    :/


    No one is ganging up on you. If anything, they defended you.

    Calm down, mang.


    New thread with no drama will be welcomed. I apologize for the distraction.

    Spec_Banner.png
  • DynagripDynagrip destroy everything you touch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Seriously, you are responding with the classic fanboy outrage, just tailored to an attack instead of a defense.

    I guess I can't speculate about a third round after a doctor stoppage or defend the ref's choice not to stop the fight during a tense moment or else I am some fanboy nerd-rager.

    you're being pretty damn silly. and your speculation is always terrible whether it's about movies, tv series, or various outcomes in fights.

    It was a more than fair stoppage and fedor was utterly dominated. he had a giant dude sitting on him. that too will wear a man out. trying to act like, no no, it is silva that would be gassed because he was crouched on a wiggly chair for 5 minutes is completely goofy.

    gusinrepose.png
Sign In or Register to comment.