As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Killing your first-born [Chat]s

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Nah my jedi powers would be used for convenience or petty minor revenge. I'm not a bad person, just bothered by people.
    Like the guy who cuts you off in traffic. Whoops, force-pushed him into an oncoming semi.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    gah, how the fuck am i going to get my tv moved safely?

i knew this day would come.

did you not keep the original packaging

I kept the foam blocks. the box was the size of a small house and I had to cut it up to get the TV out anyway.

wrap it in a comforter or two

tape that whole thing up tight

get one of your bros to help you carry it

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    man what the fuck is wrong with y'all

i'd convince some bank manager to hand me 50 million bucks

i'd live it up

that's it

what is with all the fukkin sadism

Organichu on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Through it all, I would maintain awareness. That voice in their mind that goes "No, that's too painful/demeaning/fatal!" would still be there loud and clear, and I would probably make a point to be able to "hear" it even as in body they would bow and scrape and beg to destroy themselves and those they love for my passing amusement.

No one would ever believe that life under my rule is great, but they would all be forced to act like it was the height of joy.

I would keep a small group of "priviliged" friends. They would probably be made to believe that I want them to think they have free will, but they'd always doubt it and backstab and frame eachother just to get in my good books, when really I wouldn't care and at a whim I would send them to join any of the other humans for the knife-eating competitions. During the day they would pretend to love being my chosen ally and at night they would lose sleep convincing themselves that it is great and much better than the alternative.

So what you're saying is

you're more 'pathic than 'mantic

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    People do meth in Hawaii?

I mean I can almost understand mind alerting drugs if you live in Alaska or Eastern Washington but Hawaii?

The non-tourist areas of Hawaii can get pretty bad. A girl I used to work with was born in Hawaii and lived there for most of her youth. She's had a family member's throat slit for owning money and saw a woman throw a baby off of a bridge.

It ain't all paradise.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Most Christians I met who claimed that the accountability was what kept them in line were saying that just to establish religion as the ultimate cause of empathy and order, not to excuse their restraint.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    ProfM, this has gotten really, really creepy

it's not even all that humorous anymore

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    Damnit, Will, why you gotta call "internet tough guy" on my power fantasy :(

i am evil

evil i say

depraved!

i am internet caligula!

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Organichu wrote: »

i'd live it up

that's it

would you

you'd never again push someone to do what you wanted instead of doing something else

never change someone's mind when they disagreed

just that one thing and never use it again

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Through it all, I would maintain awareness. That voice in their mind that goes "No, that's too painful/demeaning/fatal!" would still be there loud and clear, and I would probably make a point to be able to "hear" it even as in body they would bow and scrape and beg to destroy themselves and those they love for my passing amusement.

No one would ever believe that life under my rule is great, but they would all be forced to act like it was the height of joy.

I would keep a small group of "priviliged" friends. They would probably be made to believe that I want them to think they have free will, but they'd always doubt it and backstab and frame eachother just to get in my good books, when really I wouldn't care and at a whim I would send them to join any of the other humans for the knife-eating competitions. During the day they would pretend to love being my chosen ally and at night they would lose sleep convincing themselves that it is great and much better than the alternative.

So what you're saying is

you're more 'pathic than 'mantic

:?:

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

i'd live it up

that's it

I wouldn't do that because it would be too suspicious and you'd spend the next 10 years having to mind trick law enforcement every goddamn day.

I'd start betting on sports and use the Force to gently nudge the ball in my favor. Or horse races and just push on the horses I didn't bet on just enough to tire them out by the first lap. Maybe I'd go play some roulette.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nah my jedi powers would be used for convenience or petty minor revenge. I'm not a bad person, just bothered by people.
    Like the guy who cuts you off in traffic. Whoops, force-pushed him into an oncoming semi.

Nah thats too evil and potentially screws with the commute, I'd just make him forever think his dick is too small. Cursed to a life of feeling inadequate forever, so basically make him mori.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    If I had super powers I'd find some way to use them to secure enough money to never work again and then I'd probably just lead a nice quiet life with my buds who would wonder why I never ran out of money.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Nah thats too evil and potentially screws with the commute, I'd just make him forever think his dick is too small. Cursed to a life of feeling inadequate forever, so basically make him mori.

Jokes on you I have now upgraded to thinking I'm on-average okay but I gots some issues.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dyna, you can rent a van from uhaul for like 20 bucks or something

either that or just pay a moving company to move it

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    I wouldn't do that because it would be too suspicious and you'd spend the next 10 years having to mind trick law enforcement every goddamn day.

I'd start betting on sports and use the Force to gently nudge the ball in my favor. Or horse races and just push on the horses I didn't bet on just enough to tire them out by the first lap. Maybe I'd go play some roulette.

Cheat at cards, but not too obviously, throw some hands to just make it look like you're lucky and rotate clubs and organizations. Build up a reliable decent income without drawing too much attention and live a life of quiet reflection driving the highways.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »

i'd live it up

that's it

would you

you'd never again push someone to do what you wanted instead of doing something else

never change someone's mind when they disagreed

just that one thing and never use it again

in what

if i have money, all other things follow

it is the prime impediment in pursuing other life goals

i mean, maybe i'd use it for good and like convince african warlords and palestinian terrorists not to hurt people

but so what if i'm in traffic

i'm rich enough that my rocket car will get me ahead

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Most Christians I met who claimed that the accountability was what kept them in line were saying that just to establish religion as the ultimate cause of empathy and order, not to excuse their restraint.

which is really annoying because I'm like

hi

I'm not into the whole moral thing

I treat people fairly nicely although I know the universe doesn't give a shit what I do

so either I'm the greatest person alive and you're one crisis of faith from being the next mengele, or we humans do have something else keepin' us in line

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    If I had super powers I'd find some way to use them to secure enough money to never work again and then I'd probably just lead a nice quiet life with my buds who would wonder why I never ran out of money.

Then one day, one of them finds out your secret. He swears he won't ever tell a soul, but you can see the doubt in his eyes, and you know that the security of your comfort lies in his hands. In a moment you'd remember every gaffe he made, every time he didn't quite come through or made a selfish call...

and you'd have a choice to make.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

i think a lot of them actually believe it

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I'm curious why those of us who objectively choose not to engage in violent or wrongful action are deemed less moral than those who freely admit the only reason they don't engage in that behavior is the fear of consequences.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    People do meth in Hawaii?

I mean I can almost understand mind alerting drugs if you live in Alaska or Eastern Washington but Hawaii?

The non-tourist areas of Hawaii can get pretty bad. A girl I used to work with was born in Hawaii and lived there for most of her youth. She's had a family member's throat slit for owning money and saw a woman throw a baby off of a bridge.

It ain't all paradise.

Yeah, it gets pretty ghetto in places.

Feral on

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh gods, A Question of Sport is now on and I can't find the remote control

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »

That must be hard. What do they think I'm doing since I've never raped or murdered? Or is Atheism only low-level crime and I gotta move on to paganism before it gets real nasty?

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Then one day, one of them finds out your secret. He swears he won't ever tell a soul, but you can see the doubt in his eyes, and you know that the security of your comfort lies in his hands. In a moment you'd remember every gaffe he made, every time he didn't quite come through or made a selfish call...

Er, not really, cause i'm not a petty little shit.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

I'm curious why those of us who objectively choose not to engage in violent or wrongful action are deemed less moral than those who freely admit the only reason they don't engage in that behavior is the fear of consequences.

I too wonder what strawmen think of my strange hyberbolic assertions.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Seriously. Even if it's a joke, it's a pretty creepy one.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Okay if I got mind control I think I'd lead a quiet life of never having to work or really do stuff I didn't want to

and removing a lot of annoyances in life

maybe even helping the world if I felt like it

but

on the other hand

while that would be nice

the temptation to just take control, of everyone, would be there

make humanity do what I want humanity to do

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I'm curious what preacher is talking about.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010

y halo thar aristotle

Feral on

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If I had Jedi mind powers I would become a diplomat. Know exactly what both sides would settle for. Get me a noble peace prize, cause as Henry Kissinger proved, it's all you really need to get laid.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Okay if I got mind control I think I'd lead a quiet life of never having to work or really do stuff I didn't want to

and removing a lot of annoyances in life

maybe even helping the world if I felt like it

but

on the other hand

while that would be nice

the temptation to just take control, of everyone, would be there

make humanity do what I want humanity to do

The second you attempted it you'd be a dead man. Nothing is a 100% and someone would find out and then popped top style.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Why keep it a secret in the first place?

I'd freely invite my friends to all kinds of cool shit, expenses paid.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

I'm curious what preacher is talking about.

I've never ever met a christian who held this belief.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

That must be hard. What do they think I'm doing since I've never raped or murdered? Or is Atheism only low-level crime and I gotta move on to paganism before it gets real nasty?

Eh, for me it's the knowledge that I have to look myself in the mirror in the morning.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Daxon wrote: »

I think it wouldn't need to be a secret up until someone threatens it, though. If relative comfort is the goal, you can't really let people know how you got your money, unless you absolutely know they won't threaten it somehow.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Daxon wrote: »

Depends on the power. If it was something that I felt would make me utterly impervious perhaps I'd be more open about it. But the last thing I want is the attention of multiple governments, or the media, or the like, especially if its a power other people might want to try to get their hands on. Just too much of a bother.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    If I had Jedi mind powers I would become a diplomat. Know exactly what both sides would settle for. Get me a noble peace prize, cause as Henry Kissinger proved, it's all you really need to get laid.

Well hello Dr. Mrs. The Monarch.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2010

yeah, I mean, I would not think of that, at all

like, I like my friends

I love my friends

I'm not like harboring a secret hate for them because they... I dunno. I can't think of anything bad my friends have ever done to me right now. Because they haven't done anything that has mattered.

I have never met someone who has done something that I can't forgive or that I don't have some sympathy for why they did it

what I would think is that fuck

this changes everything beetween us

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010

i don't really know what they think

i was the first atheist that a lot of the texan christians i went to school had ever met. some would ask me what kept me from raping and killing or whatever. some were convinced that i behaved because i really did secretly believe in god but was just acting like a nonbeliever to be edgy and rebellious.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.