As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starcraft 2: Trus is home! EVERYBODY PAY ATTENTION TO TRUS ALL THE TIME FOREVER

• Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't really get enjoyment from batting away cheese. It just feels like I did what I knew I needed to do. He did X and I did Y, and there was very limited cranial activation in the process. Then when I lose to cheese I feel shitty exactly for the same reason - I failed to do what I knew I needed to. It's just a stressful situation all around.

I guess if you have competitive spirit of a caged tiger like Dhal then this is right up your alley :mrgreen:

PS Here's how I think of it: if a player is going macro with me it means he wants to play the game, if he's cheesing me he just wants to win.

Sensational on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't know how placements work since I rolled over four people and got shoved into bronze because of one loss that was 15 minutes or so

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    stupid work getting in the way of precious CSL :x

Guek on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't know how placements work since I rolled over four people and got shoved into bronze because of one loss that was 15 minutes or so

Was your loss your first game or your fifth?

The system's pretty mysterious, but losing your first game pretty much dooms you to a low league.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    Right now my biggest hurdle is learning when to place down more unit producing structures

For some reason my brain is usually tricking itself into thinking three racks, a starport, and a factory is all I will need the entire match

But if the game goes even slightly longer than the 11 minute mark I'll be floating hella resources even at max production and I'm like "what."

Fighting guys distracts the shit out of my unit production/building production

Do I smell marine/banshee player?

Your kind. I will not help your kind.

Marine/Bunker Push/Siege Tanks with medivac support

The expansion timing isn't so much an issue as is the "well I rolled most of my opponent's army and they're feebly attacking me I guess this production is fine with my micro so far."

That and since I'm in bronze macro macro macro hey my army is five times large than the other guy's at 10 minutes let me go and crush his skull

I was half being an ass, so thank you for humoring me.

But yeah, it's pretty tough to remember construction buildings. I haven't found a clear pattern yet besides that I expanded so now I should make more stuff. And I expanded again, so I should throw down even more stuff. And then if you're trying to be aggressive, like you said, shit gets thrown out the window.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    No problem ez-toss

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah I lost my first game because herp I forgot to scout my opponent early and whooops he's going all-in and I'm not really ready for it I'm a dumb nerd

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

i mean.... silly... geese... or whatever

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    s_86 wrote: »
    customLogo.gif?revision=17
    5 more slots left in the Curvy Star League 3 Tournament!!

Curvy Star League 3 | Saturday Dec.18.10 8:00pm EST

Please sign up with the naming format: Name.IdentifierRace (Simon.505P)
    Extra sign ups will be listed as reserves. If you are not sure you will be able to make it and want to sign up as a reserve, please send me a PM via PA at s_86 or an Email to curvystarleague@gmail.com with your Name.IdentifierRace
    Maps
    1 Metalopolis
    2 Blistering Sands
    3 Shakuras Plateau
    Maps were picked randomly from 1v1 map pool

Format
    16 players
    Single elimination. Players are seeded randomly
    Every match is a best of 3
    North American Server

Also, Wakkawa you didn't put your race, so I edited your sign up as Terran, which I assume is your race. If not, please PM me.

kedinik on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    yeah we need 5 idiots to sign up so I can know if I should even bother practicing or not depending on my bracket

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I had to drop out of CSL3 because of family shit on that weekend. So much for an easy first round for someone else.

EDIT: Is that TorcH's girlfriend interviewing John? If so...well done TorcH.

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Signed up again. The last tournament i was trapped in des moines by snowstorm and couldn't participate. This should go much better

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Hey protoss players please give me some info so that I can kill you better.

Double gas signals potential stargate play, or maybe also just heavy-on-sentry play or mass stalkers?

kedinik on
  • Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You're zerg, right, Ked?

PvZ, double gas signals...not much. It mainly signals 'not stalker/zealot 4gate'. Robo play and stargate play both need pretty early double gas, sentry FE definitely needs fast gas, and while I am not deeply familiar with the build, it would really really surprise me if blink stalkers only ran off of one gas.

Protoss is gas-heavy.

Invictus on
    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What time do you see the double gas?

I generally get my second at ~30 food. I use it to support lots of stalkers, sentries, and either immortals or void rays depending on what the other guy is massing.

webber on
    This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    CheBourgeoisNoirCheBourgeoisNoir Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/116140-1v1-terran-protoss-scrap-station#rd:undefined;wysiwyg

Link above goes to scrap station replay, TvP...and I just get DESTROYED by psi storm. What the fuck do I do here, I feel like I've hit a wall with TvP...I go bio, psi storm and colossus. I go mech, fucking void rays and immortals. Banshees dont work; cannons. There is literally a hard counter for every fucking terran strat, do I just 3-rax it and go early pressure?

Edit: Yeah, fuck observers too.

CheBourgeoisNoir on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, I main zerg.

I'm wondering for cases where I'm hanging out for a very long time with my scouting drone and the 2nd geyser goes down at like, I dunno, maybe 25ish food? Right around when the first stalker pops and kills the drone.

I guess it doesn't signify much of anything.

Whereas with Terran it's more like this big MASS MECH OR BANCHEESE air raid siren in my head.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    God do I like seeing two hellions fuck up a Zerg line

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Gas that late means 3 gates before tech, basically. That is actually useful information; you should probably prep for them to be aggressive, maybe 3gate robo or 3gate stargate or 4gate.

Full disclosure: despite my hanging around this thread and watching all the pro SC2 I possibly can, I am not currently actually /playing/ the game, so if one of the mid-high diamond tosses around here wants to disagree with me, you should believe them.

Invictus on
    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Sceptre on
  • Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/116140-1v1-terran-protoss-scrap-station#rd:undefined;wysiwyg

Link above goes to scrap station replay, TvP...and I just get DESTROYED by psi storm. What the fuck do I do here, I feel like I've hit a wall with TvP...I go bio, psi storm and colossus. I go mech, fucking void rays and immortals. Banshees dont work; cannons. There is literally a hard counter for every fucking terran strat, do I just 3-rax it and go early pressure?

I don't think it has anything to do with what the protoss player was doing. You took 2 risky expansions and lost them both.

Expand and protect.

Good job on keeping money low and making scvs.

webber on
    This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I still can't stop this.

Situation:

Protoss does cannon contain, I STOP IT.

One I get to his base, he has 3 or 4 fucking cannons walling himself off. By the time I get roaches there, he has phoenixes/void rays raping my shit.

God dammit.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    if a toss cannon contains you, drop a second in base hatch, get double gas quick and drone hard as shit, get like 2/3 queens, and go straight to hydras. have a spinecrawler kill the pylons and cannons.

if he FE's, and/or goes air, you win. If he stayed ground, dig in, get roaches, then expand.

edit: if he stayed ground, you *might* be a bit behind in army size. judge accordingly, maybe attack to kill, maybe attack to expand and you may need to add some lings and roaches to your hydra army.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    yeah i don't see why you wouldn't go straight to hydras if you're scared of toss air

Guek on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    mastman wrote: »
    if a toss cannon contains you, drop a second in base hatch, get double gas quick and drone hard as shit, get like 2/3 queens, and go straight to hydras. have a spinecrawler kill the pylons and cannons.

This is pretty sound advice.

kedinik on
  • Options
    chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I beat a toss yesterday with big MMM: "that's all you know how to do, learn another race".
    I beat a zerg today with Mech/Banshees: "if you build 100 thors you instantly win".

No <3 for the T. :(

chuckleberryfinn on
    No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.
  • Options
    KeamienKeamien Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Without watching, I can say these things:

Protoss gets worked easily by 3 rax bio play early game.

Then they get colossi and psi storm. So they work you.

In order to win in a straight up fight against just gateway units + colossi, you need vikings, and micro. Leave the vikings on the colossi, and kite the zealots and stalkers away from the colossi.

Gateway+HT you need to get ghosts, and you need to emp before you engage.

All of these fights depend HEAVILY on positioning. Don't ever let him push your front door, as that means you will never get good positioning and he will just concave and win.

tl;dr: ghosts and vikings are your answers.

Keamien on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

you lost that game because your economy fell to pieces and it took you too long to attack

Guek on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    kedinik wrote: »
    Hey protoss players please give me some info so that I can kill you better.

Double gas signals potential stargate play, or maybe also just heavy-on-sentry play or mass stalkers?
    It could be anything, really. There are a lot of Protoss builds that use a second gas. The most "standard" PvZ one is probably the 3 Warpgate expand, though (3 gates and a lot of Sentries into expansion). If you don't see that you're probably going to have to scout with an Overlord.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    kedinik wrote: »

This is pretty sound advice.

The knee jerk reaction (which I've seen a ton of times) is to power roaches to react to the cannon contain. While they help to defeat the contain, a lot of players get screwed when the protoss throws in a couple of void rays. Hydralisks is definitely the more appropriate response, and I've been screwed over a bunch of times when players skip the roach entirely in favor of the hydra.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've seen banelings used to break the contain pretty easily. Use your queen to tank the shots while your banelings nail the pylon

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Trus wrote: »
    I've seen banelings used to break the contain pretty easily. Use your queen to tank the shots while your banelings nail the pylon

Morrow did this perfectly in the Zotac cup, was pretty cool. Not to mention killing a terran with a drone rush on Steppes.

For all the heat that he gets, I think he's a very fun player to watch.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Banelings imba imba

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

if he FE's, and/or goes air, you win. If he stayed ground, dig in, get roaches, then expand.

edit: if he stayed ground, you *might* be a bit behind in army size. judge accordingly, maybe attack to kill, maybe attack to expand and you may need to add some lings and roaches to your hydra army.

et al. who responded,

<3 thanks, I shall apply these tactics.

Luckily for me I got paired against the same dude and I just 5RR'd him. There's so little players in the LA servers, you very easily get paired against people you just played against.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Honestly though, the best way to break the contain is to not let it happen. It sucks to lose the mining time of a drone so it can patrol back and forth along the ramp but it is worth it to prevent crap like that.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    the ptr changes will cut down on a lot of ramp blocking

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Want to watch someone play starcraft while listening to sports talk radio? Good news!

http://www.own3d.tv/live/5043

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is that Talib in your avatar.

How about listening to that instead?

Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
  • Options
    EzekielEzekiel Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Trus wrote: »
    Want to watch someone play starcraft while listening to sports talk radio? Good news!

http://www.own3d.tv/live/5043

What about starcraft with ted talks? Or picture in picture ren and stimpy clips? Oh the possibilities.

Ezekiel on
    428475-1.png
    I will throw you on the land and hurl you on the open field. I will let all the birds of the air settle on you and all the beasts of the earth gorge themselves on you. I will spread your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your remains. I will drench the land with your flowing blood all the way to the mountains, and the ravines will be filled with your flesh. - Ezekiel 32: 4-6
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    TED.com: Infested Paul Stamets delivers a brilliant talk on how we can save the world with creep tumors.

TL DR on