As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EVE ON] EVE-O Appreciation Station

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    How much maneuvering would you have to do usually, it was mentioned that the free trial should get you up into cruisers and the big ships do look cool. I can't really imagine these things dogfighting, so I could probably cope with a movement system that sounds vaguely like Homeworld.

How open is Merch Ind to trial players, it sounds as if you get more out of the game as part of one of the big groups but is there a certain level you need to reach for there to any real point to this? Alternatively, is it better to fly around randomly for a few weeks until you get the hang of things before getting stuck into mining asteroids for the war effort?

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I joined MerchI my 2nd or 3rd day in the game, and found it's best to just jump in and get your feet wet. Sure, you'll ask newbie questions like me (how do watch local? Oh, turn ON the avatars). But really, it's for the best, and with the cheap ships at the beginning you can still join in on fights. I've been flying nothing better than the first tier of ships, yet I've been in on 4 kills, and only lost 3 ships myself.

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    From smallest to largest:

Shuttles
    Frigates
    Cruisers
    Destroyers
    Battlecruisers
    Battleships

Industrials don't really go into that list, as they are haulers and non-combat ships, though by size they'd be up there with Battlecruisers I think.

And then you get into capital ships, things like
    Carriers
    Freighters
    etc

You will not be flying capital ships for a long, long time.

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    EQDuffyEQDuffy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Tastyfish wrote:
    How much maneuvering would you have to do usually, it was mentioned that the free trial should get you up into cruisers and the big ships do look cool. I can't really imagine these things dogfighting, so I could probably cope with a movement system that sounds vaguely like Homeworld.

How open is Merch Ind to trial players, it sounds as if you get more out of the game as part of one of the big groups but is there a certain level you need to reach for there to any real point to this? Alternatively, is it better to fly around randomly for a few weeks until you get the hang of things before getting stuck into mining asteroids for the war effort?

Think of it more as naval combat than plane combat. As a gun user you may have to align your ship for a broadsides type attack to match your opponent's direction and speed, you may want to orbit your opponent as quickly as possible to keep his guns from tracking you, you may want to duck behind some asteroids to mess up your opponent's orbit, etc.

It's much slower and more tactical than dogfighting.

EQDuffy on
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bah, I'm currently reinstalling this.

I played the trial before, but never with a corporation, so I shall be trying to join up with MerchI.

Yay!

Etch on
  • Options
    sinnsinn Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Been meaning to reply to one of these EVE threads for a long while, but just never got around to it (too busy playing EVE I guess :oops: ).

Been playing eve for almost 2 1/2 years now. As far as I'm concerned it is the only MMO for me. In fact the only GAME for me, since I started EVE I have abandoned my consoles and all my PC games as well.

I was once a member of ISD STAR (Official Help/Rookie Channel moderators and new member instructors) until it was taking up too much of my playing time, so I'd be glad to help out any new PA EVE players get started in the game. Just convo or send an evemail to "Deety" ingame.

For those of you who are just starting there are a few things to know: While EVE can be a solo game, even solo players will benefit greatly from joining a corp. It doesn't hurt to join up with a group of players and go off and do your own thing, at least you'll have them available if you want other players interaction. Of course it is even better if you want to be part of a team.

Secondly, your learning skills make a huge difference in skill training time. If you plan on playing the game more than a couple months, the time investment in getting the basic and advanced learning skills trained up to a decent level is well, WELL worth the effort.

I'd suggest that you download a program called EveMon which is an open source character planner/manager. It allows you to keep track of what skills you have as well as plan out your character skill-wise, telling you how long it will take to get a certain skill, or into a particular ship or module, and much more. It works best if it has your character login info (to retrieve your skil XML file from CCP's servers) but it doesn't require it. If you're the paranoid type (as well you should be) you'll be happy to know that in addition to being open source, EveMon is fully endorsed by the game makers (CCP) and as long as downloaded from the site I listed above, guaranteed to be safe.

sinn on
    He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Jinnigan wrote:
    From smallest to largest:

Shuttles
    Frigates
    Cruisers
    Destroyers
    Battlecruisers
    Battleships

Industrials don't really go into that list, as they are haulers and non-combat ships, though by size they'd be up there with Battlecruisers I think.

And then you get into capital ships, things like
    Carriers
    Freighters
    etc

You will not be flying capital ships for a long, long time.

A minor correction: Destroyers should come before Cruisers in your list as they are hardly bigger than frigates. Also it should be noted that training for destroyers isn't necessary if you're trying to move up into cruisers.

sinn on
    He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.
  • Options
    mtbeedeemtbeedee Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Nice.

Just logged in and accepted my offer to Merch I. Character = Taedron.

Had to log out because I am at work.

I will see you guys tonight.

mtbeedee on
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Are Destroyers usable now? That's not the word I'm looking for, but feasible and plausible don't fit either.

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Jinnigan wrote:
    Are Destroyers usable now? That's not the word I'm looking for, but feasible and plausible don't fit either.

Despite how easy they are to get into, I don't recommend destroyers for newer players. To be truly effective they require a bit more skill points than a noob has.

That said, destroyers can be quite effective for selective purposes. They make very good frig snipers (Cormorant) and can be truly devastating against interceptors if properly fitted. Also, it is worth training them just to get into the Tech II versions, the Interdictors. An interdictor pilot is ALWAYS welcome in a roaming gang.

Plus if industry is your thing, you can't find a better salvaging ship than a destroyer. 4x tractor beams and 4x salvagers makes quick work of a belt full of wrecks, not to mention their decent cargo hold and relative speed and agility.

sinn on
  • Options
    OptimusWangOptimusWang Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Look, man, I built my computer in Late 2001, and it's still running great for everything I need it for. I'm looking for excuses to upgrade, and you're not helping!

I play EVE one of two ways: one account stretched across two 20.1" monitors at 3360 x 1080 resolution, or two accounts running on individual 20.1" monitors at 1680 x 1050.

Trust me, if you want to play it this way you'll need to upgrade :twisted:

OptimusWang on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's probably worth mentioning in the OP that Charisma is used for one thing other then Mission Running and Leadership skills. It's also the primary stat for almost every single one of the trading skills. Considering I plan on being a trader for Merch (gotta keep those ISKs rolling) it was quite a shock to me to realize I'd actually have to train Charisma learning skills.

And holy crap man! The graphics overhaul looks insane. I might just buy a new computer to celebrate when it comes out.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wait, when did this happen? Goonswarm?

Well... at lease we aren't allied with BOB.

I really love the game and want to devote time to it but I am just too busy these days. I've got Battleship 5 training though.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    We've been friendly with the Goons for a few months. They're great, fun allies to have, and a there's a not insignificant amount of SA posters here and PA posters there.

EQDuffy on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    sinn wrote:
    Secondly, your learning skills make a huge difference in skill training time. If you plan on playing the game more than a couple months, the time investment in getting the basic and advanced learning skills trained up to a decent level is well, WELL worth the effort.

I'd suggest that you download a program called EveMon which is an open source character planner/manager. It allows you to keep track of what skills you have as well as plan out your character skill-wise, telling you how long it will take to get a certain skill, or into a particular ship or module, and much more. It works best if it has your character login info (to retrieve your skil XML file from CCP's servers) but it doesn't require it. If you're the paranoid type (as well you should be) you'll be happy to know that in addition to being open source, EveMon is fully endorsed by the game makers (CCP) and as long as downloaded from the site I listed above, guaranteed to be safe.

This is really important. At first you shouldn't worry a ton about which skill you're training up, but if you find you like the game (like me), and plan on continuing, planning out what you want to work to with appropriate learning skills helps a lot. The best thing is to train up int/memory/learning I, then II, III, and IV, then work up advanced int/mem I-III, then work up perception, willpower, and possibly charisma. Unfortunately, it's very frustrating working up the learning skills (1 normal skill for each attribute, and 1 advanced, as well as the learning skill itself) because there isn't any immediate payoff. But you can see your total plan time dropping significantly with those skills.

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    OptimusWangOptimusWang Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    sinn wrote:

This is really important. At first you shouldn't worry a ton about which skill you're training up, but if you find you like the game (like me), and plan on continuing, planning out what you want to work to with appropriate learning skills helps a lot. The best thing is to train up int/memory/learning I, then II, III, and IV, then work up advanced int/mem I-III, then work up perception, willpower, and possibly charisma. Unfortunately, it's very frustrating working up the learning skills (1 normal skill for each attribute, and 1 advanced, as well as the learning skill itself) because there isn't any immediate payoff. But you can see your total plan time dropping significantly with those skills.

If you can chart a clear course to what you want to do, you can spare yourself some of the pain of training all the learning skills at once.

For example, with my main I knew I wanted to be able to fly a drone boat fairly hardcore before I messed with anything else, so the only learning/adv learning skills I needed were for int & mem (drones, electronics, engineering, and mechanic are all int/mem based), so before I ever bothered training wil and per I had a T2 tank with T2 drones that could eat most things alive.

Granted my gunnery sucked, but that two weeks of doing cool things and not training wil/per/charisma made a big difference to me, especially as a new player...and once I decided I wanted to use better guns/ships, it wasn't that big a deal because I could already do most of the things I'd like to, just not as efficiantly.

OptimusWang on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    sinn wrote:

If you can chart a clear course to what you want to do, you can spare yourself some of the pain of training all the learning skills at once.

For example, with my main I knew I wanted to be able to fly a drone boat fairly hardcore before I messed with anything else, so the only learning/adv learning skills I needed were for int & mem (drones, electronics, engineering, and mechanic are all int/mem based), so before I ever bothered training wil and per I had a T2 tank with T2 drones that could eat most things alive.

Granted my gunnery sucked, but that two weeks of doing cool things and not training wil/per/charisma made a big difference to me, especially as a new player...and once I decided I wanted to use better guns/ships, it wasn't that big a deal because I could already do most of the things I'd like to, just not as efficiantly.

Yeah, that's definitely true. I took a break from the learning stuff to get salvaging going for moneymaking, and now I'm on science for tractor beams, but soon I'm going to work on combat again and it's all willpower/perception, and training those requires mem/int, so...

I do need some advice: I plan on going almost entirely small ship combat-nothing bigger than an interdictor, hopefully flying around interceptors most of the time. Should I train up both hybrid turrets and missiles, or stick to just one? I'm using Caldari ships right now.

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    sinn wrote:
    Jinnigan wrote:

Despite how easy they are to get into, I don't recommend destroyers for newer players. To be truly effective they require a bit more skill points than a noob has.

Seriously. I've been playing for a couple of years now on and off and, as I've recently discovered, I blow at fitting a destroyer. I think my main problem is lack of good hybrid turret skills.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    OK, you seriously need to stop making these threads. Its like going to a rehab center and just waving crack under peoples noses and laughing.

SRSLY!

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Come over to Hoshoun
    Unless you're a goon
    Come Fly the Friendly Skies
    We Are Nice Guys

Want some crack?

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So BoB wants to conquer the EvE universe? What a bunch of dicks. I can assume, probably with some accuracy, that no one likes them. So, why hasn't the rest of the EvE galaxy banded together and crushed them. Even bitter rivals work together against the Greater Evil.

Also, damn this thread. Every time there's a new EvE thread, it makes me want to play again!

MiSTieOtaku on
  • Options
    ToastToast Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Red Alliance and friends are busy with LV and the North are generally pacifists.

Toast on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Toast wrote:
    Red Alliance and friends are busy with LV and the North are generally pacifists.

Why is the north full of pacifists? That doesn't sound like much fun :P

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i can try and rile up IRON from within, but frankly, i'm a 'new kid' round there with a quiet voice. I don't have much* sway

*any

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So BoB wants to conquer the EvE universe? What a bunch of dicks. I can assume, probably with some accuracy, that no one likes them. So, why hasn't the rest of the EvE galaxy banded together and crushed them. Even bitter rivals work together against the Greater Evil.

Also, damn this thread. Every time there's a new EvE thread, it makes me want to play again!
    Well, Dusk and Dawn had a chance to make BoB fight a two-front war when they invaded ASCN. Of course D2 hates ASCN as much as they hate BoB, so they were more than happy to sit back and let them die.

runaway_pancake on
  • Options
    nialscorvanialscorva Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Inquisitor wrote:
    It's probably worth mentioning in the OP that Charisma is used for one thing other then Mission Running and Leadership skills. It's also the primary stat for almost every single one of the trading skills. Considering I plan on being a trader for Merch (gotta keep those ISKs rolling) it was quite a shock to me to realize I'd actually have to train Charisma learning skills.

The charisma learning skills are worth it, but the trade skill tree isn't really that deep. At most, you'll need a million SP, though 600-700k is a more reasonable max for Broker Relations, Accounting, Daytrading, Margin Trading, and a reasonable number of order slots. That's if you're moving goods from sell orders to buy orders. If you're moving buy orders to sell orders, you don't even need that much.

nialscorva on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Toast wrote:

Why is the north full of pacifists? That doesn't sound like much fun :P

It's full of PvPers, too, but the general mood among CS is that it's best to keep our own space clean and go shit in someone else's back yard when we want to.

Make no mistake, if anyone comes up we'll kick the shit out of them, but nobody seems to be rushing towards Delve right now.

Toast on
  • Options
    MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Well, Dusk and Dawn had a chance to make BoB fight a two-front war when they invaded ASCN. Of course D2 hates ASCN as much as they hate BoB, so they were more than happy to sit back and let them die.

Aww, see? That's what I'm talking about. What better way to burn BoB than to see two Corps, who basically hate eachother, unite against them?

But, for curiousity's sake, why do people hate BoB? Is it the jackass 'we wll rul yuz!1! rargg!'? Or is it something else?

MiSTieOtaku on
  • Options
    runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Aww, see? That's what I'm talking about. What better way to burn BoB than to see two Corps, who basically hate eachother, unite against them?

But, for curiousity's sake, why do people hate BoB? Is it the jackass 'we wll rul yuz!1! rargg!'? Or is it something else?
    Pretty much, yeah. They're the largest collection of attention-whores in the game. Add to that the fact that they've essentially declared themselves to be the enemy of anyone who hasn't already been subjugated to them (there are a lot who have).

runaway_pancake on
  • Options
    Mike99TAMike99TA Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So I have 3 accounts, one of which is my NPC ratting money making account, then I have a small gallente ship flying PvP account, and an industrial account that mines (exhumers 5, mdcsmII with t2 mercox crystals), builds (pe5, advanced mass prod 4, advanced lab ops 4, etc), and now will be hauling/trading (currently training retail 5, then wholesale 4, then ill probably train up some of the other trade skills, and then work towards the freighter skill).

Anyway, is there a good current guide on trade routes, trading, etc? I want to figure out how to best decide how to make the most money out of buy orders/sell orders/trade routes/freighter hauling/etc and I have no clue how most of that works at this point.

Without a freighter, is it even possible to make more money with trading than it is by ratting in 0.0 in a raven? (cause thats what my main does for money) Initially I was just reprocessing almost all loot I found and just keeping a few of the higher end named stuff (arbalest launchers etc) and hauling them to empire in an inty every time i had to go for some other reason. I have a new plan for now though, I'm saving ALL named loot I get, giving them to my alt, and stuffing them into his 12km3 badger mk II. Once it is full I will take everything to empire and sell it all to make a huge profit. It takes longer than you'd think to fill 12km3 with named loot and I can't even imagine how much everything inside will be worth once it is taken to empire and sold.

Mike99TA on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Seriously. I've been playing for a couple of years now on and off and, as I've recently discovered, I blow at fitting a destroyer. I think my main problem is lack of good hybrid turret skills.

As far as I can tell, most destroyers need nearly maxed out fitting skills and tech 2 weapons to really excel.

But they're trainable on trial accounts, so every newbie tries one, doesn't have the skills, gets 'sploded and never tries one again.

EQDuffy on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Every game seems to have a ship about which all the experienced players say "don't try it, it's a pile of shite", and all the new players always think "hey, it can't be that bad" and try it, and then get assraped. Craptor did the job in JG, and destroyers do it in Eve.

Toast on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    So for all the newbies out there, including me, could we get a quick breakdown on the reasons (small gang pvp, fleet battle, what each does well) to fly each type of ship? I've hit up the wikis pretty well but they don't seem to translate too well for me. Obviously stuff like interdictors are clear, but why fly a battlecruiser as opposed to a cruiser, or a battleship, etc.

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    Mickey EyeMickey Eye Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Then 6 months after you started you try the destroyer again, only t2 fit it and have great gunnery skills. And nobody but you ever gets a podmail again.

Mickey Eye on
    artillery2.gifmwd.gifcloak.gifrepairer.gif
    Sig images by FooB
  • Options
    mtbeedeemtbeedee Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So for all the newbies out there, including me, could we get a quick breakdown on the reasons (small gang pvp, fleet battle, what each does well) to fly each type of ship? I've hit up the wikis pretty well but they don't seem to translate too well for me. Obviously stuff like interdictors are clear, but why fly a battlecruiser as opposed to a cruiser, or a battleship, etc.

That's a very hard and complicated question to answer. Every ship type has it's value in a fleet. And depending on how you fit them, even more so. I will try to give you a basic rundown though

Frigates - cheap, small, fast. They are good to tackle (slow down) enemy ships so the bigger ships in your fleet can pound on them and to prevent them from getting away. Interceptors are really fast frigates, Assault Frigs are really heavily armored.

Destroyers - overgrown frigates. They have some use, but not much.

Cruisers - probably the most common ships. They are mid-size, reasonably priced, have good guns, good armor but will generally be blown up by larger ships and fleets of smaller ships and aren't as fast for tackling as frigates (except maybe the Stabber) Some are very good for mining also (vexor). Some are meant to be fitted for electronic warfare (blackbird). These ships generally fill the gap between other classes of ships.

Battlecruisers - Slower that cruisers but also more armor and more guns.

Battleships - very large and slow, but have numerous large guns. I see these most often employed against other fleets battleships and capital ships and starbases. They generally have a support fleet of cruisers and frigates, but not always. You don't see people just hanging around or running errands in battleships all that often. People do use them to rat in 0.0 space though. And there's one BS that's actually quite good with mining lasers.

Most pick-up fleets I have seen are mostly cruisers with some frigates and a battlecruiser or two.

That should be a good basic description of the ship classes. Anyone care to comment?

mtbeedee on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Small Gang
    Frigate: Tackling/Damage
    Destroyer: Anti-Frigate
    Cruiser: Tackling/DPS/E-War
    Battlecruiser: DPS/Gang mods
    Battleship: DPS/range/Ewar

Fleet
    Frigate: Tackling
    Destroyer: Anti-Frigate/DPS
    Cruiser: E-War/DPS
    Battlecruiser: Gang mods/DPS
    Battleships: RANGE/RANGE/RANGE

these all get fussed around based on what ships you are flying specifically of course and most ships can fill most roles to a larger or lesser degree, but that is the general theme.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Pretty much, yeah. They're the largest collection of attention-whores in the game. Add to that the fact that they've essentially declared themselves to be the enemy of anyone who hasn't already been subjugated to them (there are a lot who have).

After the Goon vs LV war, its going to get very interesting in eve with BoB. Basically, If BoB attacks D2, the goons will likely step in to help D2, which means that AAA will probably step in to help the goons. Then its BoB vs Everyone other 0.0 alliance.

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    But when it breaks down, why would someone use an assault frigate over something bigger? I think that's where I'm having problems figuring out the roles, is where things are kind of blending together. To me, it seems if you want a frigate, it's for tackling, and you really only want a cheap frigate that's replaceable, or an interceptor. So where would an assault ship/heavy assault ship be useful, other than just fighting other small ships off? Just basically for small gang warfare?

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

Sure thing. Most ship classes are actually pretty versatile, usually not falling into one specific role.

Lets start at the bottom.

Frigates: Cheap as hell, they are what we all start with. Good for getting around quickly and cheaply. Also good for new PVPers, fit some tackling gear or some dampeners and tag along with a PVP gang. Your presence will be appreciated. Good way to learn PVP with little risk.

Destroyers: As stated above, although very easy for a noob to get into, they are also very easy for a noob to die in. These are best suited for players with a little more experience either as frig/interceptor killers, or as salvaging ships.

Cruisers: Slower and heaver than frigates, also packing more firepower. These are good for level 1 and 2 missions, low sec ratting, and cheap pvp. There are also an assortment of mining cruisers (mining frigs too, but those aren't worth it once you're more than a day or three old).

Battlecruisers: Again, slower and heavier than cruisers, but considerably more firepower. These make excellent Level 3 mission runners, 0.0 space ratters, and pvp ships. The newly released tier 2 Battlecruisers are much more powerful than their little siblings, many able to compete in level 4 missions, and are quite deadly in PVP.

Battleships: Big, slow and make pretty explosions and pew pew pew noises. The battleship is a heavily armored, hard hitting weapon. Used in level 4 missions, 0.0 ratting, and of course PVP. Well suited for fleet battles, the Battleship is an effective weapon against ships Cruiser size and up.

Tech II ships:

Interceptors (Inty): These are T2 frigates built for speed. They usually aren't very well armored, relying solely on their speed to outmaneuver and avoid enemy fire. They do good damage, and are a key ingredient to gang warfare as tacklers and pod-killers.

Covert Ops (CovOps): These T2 frigates are like the ninja! Able to fit the Covert Ops cloak (a special cloak that allows you to warp while still cloaked) scan-probing out enemies in their safe spots and warping into their range unnoticed until the fleet backing them up warps in on top of the enemy.

Stealth Bombers: Also in the covert ops ship class (but unable to wield the powerful covert ops cloak) these are heavy hitting stealth fighters. Able to fit battleship sized cruise missile launchers, they uncloak and release a volley of super hard hitting missles, only to disappear into the ether once again.

Assault Ships (AF): Heavily armored, high damage frigates. These ships have amazingly high natural shield and armor resistances, making them very good tanking ships. They are slower than tech I frigs, but make up for it in hitpoints as well as damage capabilites. Good for PVP, ratting, and mission running.

Interdictors ('Dictor): Tech II Destroyers. These fast moving ships are an enemy gangs worst nightmare. Able to launch interdiction spheres, a pulsing bubble that disrupts the warp drive of any ship within it's range. Warp to a gate with an interdictor bubble in front of it and you'll be sucked into the bubble, and unable to warp out.

Heavy Assault Ships (HAC): These are the Cruiser versions of the Assault ships. Take your average cruiser, slap on huge resistances, more armor, and LOTS more firepower and you have a Heavy Assault Ship. These are welcome additions to any PVP gang. Hard hitting, heavy tanking, they take down ships many times their own size. Also make very good ratting and mission running ships.

Recon Ships: These are the cruiser class Covert Ops ships. They come in two flavors, the Force Recon, able to use the Covert Ops cloak for max stealth, with higher resists, and huge bonuses towards things like sensor dampener strength, warp disruptor range, etc.. They are great for sneaking up on someone unaware and neutralizing them until the calvary arrives. There is also the Combat Recon ship, with more armor, more firepower and good logistical bonuses. They are, however, unable to fit the Covert Ops cloak.

Logistic Ships:
    These tech II cruisers are designed to aid your fellow gang members. With bonuses for items such as remote sensor boosters, remote armor repairers, and remote shield modules. Think of these as a "healer" class. Not a commonly seen ship class.

Command ships: Tech II Battlecruisers. Big damage, heavy tanking ability with bonuses for gang modules which provide specialized boosts to your entire squad.

That is all I can type at the moment.

sinn on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    But when it breaks down, why would someone use an assault frigate over something bigger? I think that's where I'm having problems figuring out the roles, is where things are kind of blending together. To me, it seems if you want a frigate, it's for tackling, and you really only want a cheap frigate that's replaceable, or an interceptor. So where would an assault frigate be useful, other than just fighting other small ships off?

Assault frigs are like normal frigs but with more damage and resiliance.

They get bonuses that allow them to fill specific roles, or just make them better.

They are typically used for roving small gang warfare. Since they can do good damage and are still quite agile. They act like cruisers that are the size of frigates that are able to fill more specialized roles.

Edit: So the best way to think of them is in between Cruisers and Frigates. Like a destroyer, but not flimsy. Fast enough and Agile enough to get around, small enough to not get hit most of the time, and deadly enough to do significant damage.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
This discussion has been closed.