As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EVE ON] EVE-O Appreciation Station

• Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So uh...generally how many missions does it take to get to the level II missions of a corporation? I'm considering starting to do some Caldari Navy level Is, but I don't want to do like 200 of them just to get to the next 'rank' of missions...

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kajusta wrote: »
    So uh...generally how many missions does it take to get to the level II missions of a corporation? I'm considering starting to do some Caldari Navy level Is, but I don't want to do like 200 of them just to get to the next 'rank' of missions...

Buy Connections skillbook

Train to Level 3

Start with high quality L2 agents.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    ChenjesuChenjesu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    First do the whole tutorial. Then go to one of the offices listed the Merch corp bio and drop off an app. Include who you are on the forum and your friend's Eve name.

Also:
    • Don't hit enter on the application, because it will submit it instead of giving you a line break.
    • Even though the tutorial will recommend that you enable the option to avoid jumps to systems where podkillings have taken place, don't enable it. If you do it's very likely you'll see "Destination unreachable" on the map.

Also make sure to report how awesome we are to your spy masters, so they won't mess with us.

Don't be afraid of the 0.1 sec rating in Hosh, you can come out your first day, it's really like lowsec light with the corp and our allies CVA in the area.

Do not use autopilot to fly there. Set the destination, then fly manually using "warp to 0" at each gate. Very little danger if you do it that way.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. We love our new members, and want to help them get up to speed fast.

Chenjesu on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Chenjesu wrote: »
    We love our new members, and want to help them get up to speed fast.

Love them hard

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yay. My application has been processed. While I was waiting for it to be processed I've been training learning skills, but I was thinking I should start training skills for tackling. What can I even do before I train skills for tackling?

Sarksus on
  • Options
    ArchonArchon regular
    edited March 2007
    Chenjesu wrote: »
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    First do the whole tutorial. Then go to one of the offices listed the Merch corp bio and drop off an app. Include who you are on the forum and your friend's Eve name.

Also:
    • Don't hit enter on the application, because it will submit it instead of giving you a line break.
    • Even though the tutorial will recommend that you enable the option to avoid jumps to systems where podkillings have taken place, don't enable it. If you do it's very likely you'll see "Destination unreachable" on the map.

Also make sure to report how awesome we are to your spy masters, so they won't mess with us.

Don't be afraid of the 0.1 sec rating in Hosh, you can come out your first day, it's really like lowsec light with the corp and our allies CVA in the area.

Do not use autopilot to fly there. Set the destination, then fly manually using "warp to 0" at each gate. Very little danger if you do it that way.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. We love our new members, and want to help them get up to speed fast.

Also: Do not gang up and warp to a Merch POS without being in the corp.

You will explode

Like me.

(But nice guys will get you your stuff back)

Archon on
    arach.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So salvaging, while very unpredictable, is pretty goddamn sweet. In about half an hour i had about 2.5mil in loot.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    So salvaging, while very unpredictable, is pretty goddamn sweet. In about half an hour i had about 2.5mil in loot.

it will rule even more once the patch hits

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

What happens with salvaging on the patch?

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

* NPC ships that do not drop any salvegeable materials will drop a container instead of a wreck when destroyed.
    * Wrecks that contain loot can now be salvaged without having to remove the loot first.
    upshot: salvaging will go considerably faster, with no need to get/jettison shitty loot and no need to check every wreck to see whether it is salvagable or not.

EDIT: ho-ly shit, am I ever glad I started reading the EVE thread at SA.
    ctrl click on a target to lock them
    why didn't any of you fucksticks tell me this before

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    downshot: market crash!

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    God damn it. I need to stop embarking on expensive projects that require me to produce money. Mike Takumi your Hulk setup is taking all my ISKs.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

* NPC ships that do not drop any salvegeable materials will drop a container instead of a wreck when destroyed.
    * Wrecks that contain loot can now be salvaged without having to remove the loot first.
    upshot: salvaging will go considerably faster, with no need to get/jettison shitty loot and no need to check every wreck to see whether it is salvagable or not.

EDIT: ho-ly shit, am I ever glad I started reading the EVE thread at SA.
    ctrl click on a target to lock them
    why didn't any of you fucksticks tell me this before

Even easier: Ctrl-click on the overview

edit: New OP soon?

Zenitram on
  • Options
    deadteardeadtear Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Jinnigan wrote: »
    downshot: market crash!

This is an upshot for me gf-cool.gif

deadtear on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    God damn it. I need to stop embarking on expensive projects that require me to produce money. Mike Takumi your Hulk setup is taking all my ISKs.

I think his Hulk setup is a bit overkill at first, you can T2 fit them and then mine out enough arkonor to buy the faction fitting in a weekend.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »

I think his Hulk setup is a bit overkill at first, you can T2 fit them and then mine out enough arkonor to buy the faction fitting in a weekend.
    Well yes, but that requires higher skills which I don't actually have at the moment.

I've got two auctions for Dread Gurista Invulnerability fields which should close soon (demand doesn't seem especially high and buy outs aren't very different to bids), so I'm now hopefully about 120 mill off to get the Dread Gurista Shield Boost Amp.

But jesus fuck that's a lot of faction gear.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ok, so i'm in Hosh. How do I get all corp-ified?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    So...now that I have my Caracal, and I have about 13 hours until I can fit my Heavies what should I work towards so far as pwning faces? A Drake seems pretty accessible to me, but I'm not so sure...If it is a Drake, does anyone have a nice loadout I could check out to see which skills I'm going to have to train, thanks in advance ;)

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Ok, so i'm in Hosh. How do I get all corp-ified?
    While docked, find the MRCHI listing in the Offices tab in the station. Click "Join Corp", fill out the application, submit, and wait for acceptance.
    Kajusta wrote:
    So...now that I have my Caracal, and I have about 13 hours until I can fit my Heavies what should I work towards so far as pwning faces? A Drake seems pretty accessible to me, but I'm not so sure...If it is a Drake, does anyone have a nice loadout I could check out to see which skills I'm going to have to train, thanks in advance ;)
    I'd wait a while to jump up to a Drake. A Caracal can rat successfully in Hosh, and PVP if needed too (or fit a tackler frig and keep it ready). That gives you a chance to build up your skills before putting a lot of isk on the line. Better to play it safe for a while than get your own face pwned and lose a 40mil setup.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Is it a bad thing that I can't be assed ratting these days, and so am going to run courier missions and sell the storyline implants for ISK to setup my Hulk?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Alright, I got me a punisher. And I can move around, and get agent missions. Everything is else is waaaay confusing though. And I have NO idea what to outfit this punisher with.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Is it a bad thing that I can't be assed ratting these days, and so am going to run courier missions and sell the storyline implants for ISK to setup my Hulk?

I have not been ratting, or mining, or ran a mission in months and months, and I just made like 150m today without scamming. [/gloat]

No it's not really a bad thing, I grew bored of ratting pretty quickly, and I would dualbox rat. Missions were more interesting, and courier, at least highsec, can be done afk(terrible money though)

deadtear on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    deadtear wrote: »

I have not been ratting, or mining, or ran a mission in months and months, and I just made like 150m today without scamming. [/gloat]

No it's not really a bad thing, I grew bored of ratting pretty quickly, and I would dualbox rat. Missions were more interesting, and courier, at least highsec, can be done afk(terrible money though)

Courier agents are pretty worthwhile if you do it on an alt while gatecamping or doing other mostly boring activities.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So...I'm a Homeworld(2) whore. I love the naval type tactical battles far more than a Wing Commander type arcadey shooter.

Naturally EVE really appealed to me visually, and style wise it seemed right there. But I tried the trial and I dunno, it was just TOO much stuff to take in. I didn't try it more than a handful of times before I just gave up.

What I want to know; before I go through the trouble of downloading the trial again and sitting through the tutorial again (Spring break next week!): is all the multitudes of menus and information actually necessary? I mean, can you get by for awhile at least with a bare minimum of knowledge of what all that nonsense does and just play, picking up things as you go more and more? Because from what I recall of the tutorial it made it as if you had to be aware of everything constantly and damn near have your whole screen full of menus.

Also, the items in the store were very un-descriptive. I had no freaking clue what anything was and it didn't help that there was like a million different items.

:(

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    KingsHand wrote: »
    So...I'm a Homeworld(2) whore. I love the naval type tactical battles far more than a Wing Commander type arcadey shooter.

Naturally EVE really appealed to me visually, and style wise it seemed right there. But I tried the trial and I dunno, it was just TOO much stuff to take in. I didn't try it more than a handful of times before I just gave up.

What I want to know; before I go through the trouble of downloading the trial again and sitting through the tutorial again (Spring break next week!): is all the multitudes of menus and information actually necessary? I mean, can you get by for awhile at least with a bare minimum of knowledge of what all that nonsense does and just play, picking up things as you go more and more? Because from what I recall of the tutorial it made it as if you had to be aware of everything constantly and damn near have your whole screen full of menus.

Also, the items in the store were very un-descriptive. I had no freaking clue what anything was and it didn't help that there was like a million different items.

Short answer: Yes, the various buttons and windows are all pretty necessary. Not all the time, but you can't avoid them. I've said this before, but there's an in-game calculator and notepad for a reason. It's a complex game with a complex interface. Personally I usually don't mind it, but it can be overwhelming. PVE combat or missions can be pretty straightforward at times, though. As for the market, you just have to spend a lot of time figuring out which items (and versions of those items) you need. It's a long and steep learning curve.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »
    deadtear wrote: »

Courier agents are pretty worthwhile if you do it on an alt while gatecamping or doing other mostly boring activities.

Right see, I have 3 accounts, 2 of which are mains and the other is a production alt that I cant let leave kzf. I have a hauler alt but gf-effort.gif I make more money being lazy than doing afk missions(mono get :effort: added as a god damn smilie)

deadtear on
  • Options
    ScreamlineScreamline Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    2nd Page? I think not.

Repo re-decced us after letting the war lapse due to non-payment.

Let the torso collecting recommence!

Screamline on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Ok, so I've got a ship capable of blowing some stuff up. And I do believe my currently goal is to go do some agent missions and kill some pirates. After that, what's my basic goal? For instance, WoW is to get to 70, get better loot, do raids. If I want to participate in this war we have going on, what am I gonna need to get to be able to attack other people halfway efficiently? Where do I go to try my hand at mining, where do I go to fight pirates and whatnot?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ok, so I've got a ship capable of blowing some stuff up. And I do believe my currently goal is to go do some agent missions and kill some pirates. After that, what's my basic goal? For instance, WoW is to get to 70, get better loot, do raids. If I want to participate in this war we have going on, what am I gonna need to get to be able to attack other people halfway efficiently? Where do I go to try my hand at mining, where do I go to fight pirates and whatnot?

You'll want to read this, for starters.

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

There is no level 70. The fight never stops, the asteroids never go away. Warp to a belt in a system if you want to mine, go into lowsec or 0.0 and warp into belts if you want to blow up NPC's, go into lowsec or 0.0 and shoot people if you want to PvP.

Join a corp, and do exactly what you want to do. Thats the hard part of the game in my eyes. There is no path to follow, quest lines or end game goal. There is only you, and the time it takes to get to where you want to be.

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    KingsHand wrote: »

The items in the store always have description. You have to click the small blue circle icon with the "i" on it. All items have this.

As for being able to play without fiddling with the menus? The only ones that I ignored for most of my eve life is the Science and Industry menu, and maybe the Contracts menu, but contracts is very useful if the need arises.

Oh yeah, do the tutorial again if you forget how to do anything.

ze swift class on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    In all likelyhood I'm going to play it safe and reject this mission, but what kind of ship/fitting would be necessary to complete Worlds Collide?

Currently I'm looking at a Rifter with:

3x Light Autocannons (Fusion S)
    1x Rocket Launcher I (Gremlin Rocket)

1x Medium Shield Extender
    1x Heat Dissipation Amplifier I
    1x Kinetic Deflection Amplifier I

3x Shield Power Relays I

Also, the MERCHI corp mails mentioned the corp buying minerals from members. However, the location it said (Hosh, Public Hanger or something to that effect) is something I don't have access to. Does a director have to create something for me there, or do you have to be a member for some X length of time?

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Barrakketh, put an AB on your Rifter for worlds collide. I'd go with AB, web, cap recharger in the mids. Lows would be small armor rep, 200mm plate and a gyrostabilizer.

Also you don't need access to the hangar to drop stuff in it.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Zenitram wrote: »
    Barrakketh, put an AB on your Rifter for worlds collide. I'd go with AB, web, cap recharger in the mids. Lows would be small armor rep, 200mm plate and a gyrostabilizer.

I don't have the skills needed to add the plate or rep, and have a passive shield tank going hence my midslot setup. I'll be getting around to adding the neccessary skills for those soonish since Minmatar ships jump around as to whether they should be armor or shield tanked, but I've "wasted" a good chunk of my sleeping time on Instant Recall/Analytical Mind, as Brutor Int/Mem is terrible.
    Also you don't need access to the hangar to drop stuff in it.

Is this another example of EVE's horrible UI? I mean, if it's telling me I don't have access I would assume that it meant deposit, too.

EDIT: I just re-read the message, and I didn't see any station containers either.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    You can always put things in to hangars, you just can't get them out.

As for Worlds Collide, you want an AB. Burn to the gate when you get in the second room, and then you only need to destroy the pirate frigates guarding the "Damaged Heron" in the 3rd room before you can retrieve the crew and get back to base.

You're running Caldari, so the main thing you'll want to do is get active shield boosters quick for missions, and then talk to Sonelon about Drakes and passive shield tanks.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    You can always put things in to hangars, you just can't get them out.

As for Worlds Collide, you want an AB. Burn to the gate when you get in the second room, and then you only need to destroy the pirate frigates guarding the "Damaged Heron" in the 3rd room before you can retrieve the crew and get back to base.

You're running Caldari, so the main thing you'll want to do is get active shield boosters quick for missions, and then talk to Sonelon about Drakes and passive shield tanks.

Umm...I said I was flying a Rifter, and that I picked Brutor so that makes me Minmatar :) If I get the mission again I might drop the thermal amp and toss the AB in there. I have Afterburner V, so hopefully I won't be needing the cap recharger Zenitram recommended.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    No you won't need it. Just make sure you burn as fast as possible until you go through the 2nd acceleration gate, then it's smooth sailing. Also don't forget to pick up the stranded folks from the ship and put them in your hold.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    SquintyMcSquintSquintyMcSquint Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've been wanting to try out Eve for a while now, never played an MMO before so its about time I did. Just one question though, is Eve mostly comprised of American players? Is there a biggish Eve user base in Europe (specifically the UK)? Id hate to fire up a trial and find im flying round a big empty(-ish) server!

SquintyMcSquint on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I've been wanting to try out Eve for a while now, never played an MMO before so its about time I did. Just one question though, is Eve mostly comprised of American players? Is there a biggish Eve user base in Europe (specifically the UK)? Id hate to fire up a trial and find im flying round a big empty(-ish) server!
    The EVE server is located in the UK, the company that makes it is Finnish. The game has about 10,000 players on at all the times I've managed to log on, dropping to maybe 3k right after DT and climbing back to 10k within the hour.

ServerStatus.aspx?gid=1

A server status graph highlights things so much better! (It's in GMT so convert as necessary to your timezone)

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Eve has a larger European than American userbase.

Shujaa on
This discussion has been closed.