As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's Getting Boring by the Sea [TFTD LP]

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Alriiiiiiight. Eat some funky death, alien scumbags! Let's lay waste to these freaks!

Rainfall on
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    !signup as a pilot; given the lack of action I've seen so far above ground, I should have plenty of time to help out in your undersea operations too.

Oh, and timspork's ghost, where do I get the form for acquiring the optional Barracuda Interceptor Transference in a Critical Happenstance Ejection System?

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Heh, I just started a TFTD game and one of the Aquanauts it gave me was named Uma Tarantino.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Uh chiasaur11 you didn't put me on the Pilot Reserve even though I signed up for it ahead of BlitzAce1981.

Decius wrote: »
    Sign me up! I can go on one on the contact teams. I should also mention I'm a fallen-from-grace oceanographer and raging alcoholic, so I might be doubly qualified as a soldier and an attack craft pilot.

Edit: Also !vote 3

Perhaps I should made my request clearer?

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    !signup as a pilot; given the lack of action I've seen so far above ground, I should have plenty of time to help out in your undersea operations too.

Oh, and timspork's ghost, where do I get the form for acquiring the optional Barracuda Interceptor Transference in a Critical Happenstance Ejection System?

Find Lt Iolo over at Wubble Woo base. Ask him for Supply/Equipment Request Form: A95-R-776. You'll need to fill this out in triplicate. Once you get a Supply/Equipment Request Form Receipt, you'll need to await delivery of the parts. At that time track down a Barracuda Interceptor Request for Optional Parts Form: B23-U-882. Make sure you get the 2040 version of the form because the 2025 version is for something totally different. After that, get it authorized and find some disgruntled mechanic to put the parts in.

I also recommend wearing your optional Deep-Sea Bail Out Reinforced Helmet and ReBreather System Mk. IIat all times. Just in case that mechanic was annoyed at you for making him do a lot of unnecessary work.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    starkillerstarkiller Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So when I last played this I totally dumped the gauss stuff and went with the chain gun equivalent mounted with explosive bolts on everybody. My hits went way up. Some collateral damage, but they deserved to die.

starkiller on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Status update, X-Com aquatic division primary contact team

Lt. Timspork's Ghost has downed a third hostile craft, of similar dimensions to the two previous USOs, near our headquarters, a bit off the coast of Japan.

As is standard, you will attempt a recovery. Given past success, the representatives of our funding bodies have requested a reduced level of ordinance to better preserve the diversity of native life. This means, apparently, no hydro-jets, no torpedoes, and if possible, less grenade use.

In their place, you will be testing top of the line accelerated particle based weapon systems. Please familiarize yourselves with their operation before you arrive. It could mean the difference between life and death.

Good hunting

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    starkiller wrote: »
    So when I last played this I totally dumped the gauss stuff and went with the chain gun equivalent mounted with explosive bolts on everybody. My hits went way up. Some collateral damage, but they deserved to die.

Yeah, the last several times I ignore Gauss entirely. Though really we need a terror site for the truly important research stuff.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    !Sign-up as Recruit!

I'm aware that the current mission team is full, and as such I will be unable to go on away missions for the forseeable future. Nevertheless, I wish to make myself (more) useful around the base, and as such am appointing myself morale officer. Last week's showing of "the abyss" did not have the intended effect on morale, and I think its time to bring out the big guns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZoCrD88RP4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpqdexBnNkM

I've already taken the liberty of putting the above items on the base's PA system on a loop. You will notice that the last item on the list includes lyrics. I think it would be just smashing if we all got together for a good old-fasioned sing-along in the barracks this evening!

Furthermore, I propose some diversification of our current rations. As we all know, the aliens we're fighting come from the sea, and are therefore seafood. I know that we've promised most of the alien corpses we recover to various agencies and organisations, but surely no-one will notice if some of them arrive with a limb or two missing? I mean most of them already have big holes in, would anyone really notice a few extra? Preferably sandwich-shaped holes. I'm lead to understand our harpoons leave an almost perfectly bread-shaped exit-wound, if you sort of squint at it right.

Incidentally, I'm just loving the direction our research is going. Studies have clearly shown that morale is directly proportional to available firepower, and the new grenades seem to be a hit, even if they haven't actually killed anything yet.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh ok so Gauss pistols olol for this next battle eh?

I suppose at this juncture that is fine... depending on the difficulty level.

Docken on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So far I think the difficulty level could be best described as "fluke".

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hey guys, what happened the base PA systems? It's like they've all been recently shot with our fancy new gauss weaponry.

How'd that happen?

Imperfect on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ah, I see I've made it into the Research Team after all as a Xenobiologist.

Well, I'll be sure to take good care of any battlefield souvenirs that happen to make their way into the base.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Hey guys, what happened the base PA systems? It's like they've all been recently shot with our fancy new gauss weaponry.

How'd that happen?

If this board had a reputation system, you'd be getting points right now.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I don't do it for the rep, I do it for the lulz.

(And for sweet-ass comments like that. Thanks, duder! Made my day!)

Imperfect on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

How'd that happen?

Security footage shows several incidents of X-COM Aquatic Division operatives following Director Chiasaur's orders to practice with the newly developed gauss weaponry in the hallways and storerooms. Unfamiliarity with the technology seems to have resulted in much collateral damage to the base's PA systems.

All except those in the vicinity of Ensign Rankenphile, which have been zealously protected from all damage while he clutches his Flounder plushie.

Reports of speakers being found crushed with tank tread marks on them have been dismissed as completely unfounded rumor, as there is no security footage of any times it was alleged to occur.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I think the robot death machine is hiding something. See, there's that shifty look in his co-processor.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    [A notice, written in marker and pinned to the assignment board]

The next smart-arse to sing 'I'm On A Boat' over the PA during a familiarization run in the 'Cuda gets put out the torpedo tube. Non-negotiable.

- LT. RisenPhoenix

RisenPhoenix on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    [A notice, typed and pinned to the assignment board just to the side of the previous note]

Looks like someone needs to bribe the mechanics in the docking bay to install a remotely activated PA override into LT. RisenPhoenix's Barracuda, simply so that, at a moments' notice, the lieutenant may be reminded that he is "On a boat, Bitch".

-unsigned

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

How'd that happen?

Security footage shows several incidents of X-COM Aquatic Division operatives following Director Chiasaur's orders to practice with the newly developed gauss weaponry in the hallways and storerooms. Unfamiliarity with the technology seems to have resulted in much collateral damage to the base's PA systems.

All except those in the vicinity of Ensign Rankenphile, which have been zealously protected from all damage while he clutches his Flounder plushie.

Reports of speakers being found crushed with tank tread marks on them have been dismissed as completely unfounded rumor, as there is no security footage of any times it was alleged to occur.

How the fuck are there tread marks on the walls and ceiling?

So when are we going to start getting more specialized training? Like heavy weapons, Psi-Ops, subdue and capture, explosives...

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just want everyone to know that all Barracuda Attack Subs have their built in stereos hardwired to play nothing but Flight of the Valkyries by Richard Wagner. I asked a representative from British Hydrospace, the makers of the Barracuda, about this when accepting delivery. His official reply, "Why the fecking hell would anyone want to listen to anything different?"

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited December 2010
    That or "Ace of Spades" by Motorhead

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'll be fixing mine to play "How To Speak Italian" audio books.

That, or bagpipe versions of tunes from 16-bit games.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    How bout Handel's Water Music?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOoiuMYc5Wc
    Some times you just got to be classy while butchering alien bastards beneath the waves.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Imperfect on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nocren wrote: »

How'd that happen?

How the fuck are there tread marks on the walls and ceiling?

So when are we going to start getting more specialized training? Like heavy weapons, Psi-Ops, subdue and capture, explosives...

In response to your query:

All X-Com operatives, at least in the aquatic division, are given basic training in a variety of specializations to ensure proper squad composition in the event of casualties. This includes heavy weapon and explosive training, necessary given that the standard weapon to date has been the Gas Cannon, a high powered explosive delivery system.

Any further cross training requires special permission, given the projected increased casualty rate among CQB experts and bagmen. However, any volunteers will be given such training as required.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Well, it should also be noted that at the moment the incredible weapon selection don't really allow for specializations. Your options are gas cannons, gas cannons, or incredibly ineffective.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Well, it should also be noted that at the moment the incredible weapon selection don't really allow for specializations. Your options are gas cannons, gas cannons, or incredibly ineffective.

Well, underwater there's also the torpedo launcher.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    In my experience, they're too heavy and not a big enough improvement over gas cannons.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Mission Recording, X-Com Aquatic Combat division. USO contact #3

Carthage: Bullshit, all I got to say on it.

OnTheLastCastle: Preaching to the damn choir here.

Campion: Quit bitching. Orders come down, Command passes 'em to me, I pass 'em to you, nobody likes 'em. Command, we have landed.

Acheron Base: Confirmed, Triton 1. The Barracuda report suggested extensive damage to the target. Should be a milk run. Still, be careful. Acheron base, out.

5279109877_f74f4a4e03.jpg

Carthage: All I'm saying is, I'm going from a nice, healthy, rocket launcher level yield that can match a light plasma weapon to a piece of crap that can't take down a damn speaker system in one shot.

Zharkon: You'll get the same kills either way.

OnTheLastCastle: Ouch.

5279110045_10de2a12e5.jpg

Zharkon: Bingo. Found the USO. Beaten to hell, and looks like nobody's home. Still, could use some light before walking up with a neon shoot me sign. Rainfall's got the flares, right?

5279110225_ee2ac7c9dd.jpg

Rainfall: Not... exactly. Would you accept incendiary rounds?

Zharkon: Officially, no, of course not, the environmental damage, the horror.

Rainfall: I'll try to find the flares then.

Zharkon: Unofficially? Fire them right now.

5279110467_a7eab6386d.jpg

Rainfall: Right. Firing. Any better?

Zharkon: A bit.

5279716170_3b66f367b1.jpg

Zharkon: Think I see something to the west. Anyone got a grenade?

OnTheLastCastle: Never without one. Fire in the hole!

*explosion*

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    OnTheLastCastle: What the hell Carthage? I said I had this one.

Carthage: Sorry. Had a better angle.

5279111041_03d4ec1166.jpg

OnTheLastCastle: Well, whatever it was, it's almost definitely dead now.

Raneados: Finally getting on the killboard? Nice work.

OnTheLastCastle: Not confirmed yet, but hell. I'll buy you a round back at base.

Campion: Alright, sounds like the west side's clean. Zahrkon, take the tank around east. Let's give this thing a test run.

5279716856_b4ba5e4352.jpg

Gas Cannon HWP: <Hostile detected>

5279717024_a27cdc45c4.jpg

Gas Cannon HWP: <Hostile terminated>

Campion: Well, looks like it works fine. Everyone? Last sweep, then we pack it up, paint a name on the tank, and get hammered back at the base. Sound good?

Rankenfile: Ah, breaking out the stash. Good fucking times.

5279111657_1aa3a7debe.jpg

OnTheLastCastle: Grenade!

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    That's... not a good thing.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Welp, at least you're nice and spread out.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Uh oh.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    At least it looks like I blew a pretty good sized hole in the side of that sucker. Hopefully I lowered the odds a little.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hahahahaha

I've had that happen to me more times than I like.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Looks like those aliens are giving us a taste of our medicine. Hopefully there are medkits on board. Or a shovel to clean up the mess.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Find Lt Iolo over at Wubble Woo base. Ask him for Supply/Equipment Request Form: A95-R-776. You'll need to fill this out in triplicate. Once you get a Supply/Equipment Request Form Receipt, you'll need to await delivery of the parts. At that time track down a Barracuda Interceptor Request for Optional Parts Form: B23-U-882. Make sure you get the 2040 version of the form because the 2025 version is for something totally different. After that, get it authorized and find some disgruntled mechanic to put the parts in.

I also recommend wearing your optional Deep-Sea Bail Out Reinforced Helmet and ReBreather System Mk. IIat all times. Just in case that mechanic was annoyed at you for making him do a lot of unnecessary work.

Unfortunately the A95-R-776 is on backorder. I'm working a barter for some Supplemental Requisition Forms, Equipment (good old S-1212's) to get us through. They want our last box of peanut brickle, though, and that may be too high a price.

Assuming my little brother makes it to the active duty roster, try not to get him killed.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    CarthageCarthage Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    X

Carthage on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Iolo wrote: »

Unfortunately the A95-R-776 is on backorder. I'm working a barter for some Supplemental Requisition Forms, Equipment (good old S-1212's) to get us through. They want our last box of peanut brickle, though, and that may be too high a price.

Assuming my little brother makes it to the active duty roster, try not to get him killed.

Will do L.T. Obviously I'm limited to doing as much damage as possible before the seabed team gets there, but I'll try to make sure he's not to baddly drunk before starting missions.

Librarian's ghost on