As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gift for a Friend? (Camera accessories?)

illiricaillirica Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So, my husband and I have a friend. He is a great guy. We would like to get him something for the holidays. He is also a complete consumer whore. Therein lies the problem. He loves games... but buys every one he wants the day it comes out. He has all the systems and all the accessories. He lives in his parents basement so householdy items aren't going to work. He does not play sports.

Basically we have no idea what to get him. We could just do some points cards, but that seems half-assed. Yesterday he was over and mentioned that he bought himself a Nikon 3100 SLR (yes! Bought it himself! Two weeks before Christmas! You see the problems). So, to any Nikon-3100-owning folks, are there any great accessories that would be nice to have? He honestly doesn't need fancy stuff, not being a photographer of any sort (I believe the train of thought was "I need a working camera. Ooooh, this one is fancy." Or something along those lines), but maybe that would appeal to his technogeekhood or something. And to anyone else - any ideas? What do you get someone who buys everything, and then usually buys another copy so his friends can have one too?

illirica on

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    How about instead of a camera accessory, maybe a gift certificate for some paintball or laser tag? Or make a donation to charity, such as Child's Play or United Way, in his name. I've had several friends (and even myself to some extent) that do this sort of thing, and I've found the key to good gifting isn't to buy them more things, it's to get them to do something new or help them realize that hey other people need some help, especially at this time of year

Usagi on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Those kinds of people are hard to shop for, you need to find things that they'd appreciate, but would never really think to buy themselves. So for a novice photog I might pick up a basic, but nice flash. I recommend it cause I received one as a gift and having it has helped me take much better pictures (usually at social/family gatherings). But the downside is if he doesn't use his camera much, then he won't use the flash.

I'd want something that has a few bounce angle positions and does ittl. I don't know from Nikon gear, but maybe something like this?

Djeet on
  • Options
    AdamBombAdamBomb regular
    edited December 2010
    Gift voucher seems like the obvious choice here.

That way he can still pick up a game on its release day, except you'll be paying for it.

AdamBomb on
    I'll be back for breakfast.