As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Exams Schmexams - schizzoool threadizzle yo

1575859606163»

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wanna write for a newspaper. On Monday I'm gonna carry a copy around with me all day.

Weaver on
    edited January 2011
    GeoMitch wrote: »
    PRINT MEDIA IS DEAD

home values will go up forever!

Weaver on
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you want instant college fame, get a job writing editorials in the paper and take sides on topics that will infuriate your peers.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    oh yeah and I got my official acceptance letter to physics honours 3rd year today

woooah fuck this shit is gonna be hard

L|ama on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    and my fee invoice, $6.1k for 7 courses

guess it's gonna be... probably around $30k on my loan for undergrad when living costs and shit get added in

joy

L|ama on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Considering it causes me no small amount of physical pain to handwrite anywhere near the amounts of notes I take in the average lecture course, I am certainly not hoping any professors of mine arbitrarily forbid laptop use in class.

Since, you know, that's the shit I take notes on.

I mean, if you insist, I can buy a small tape recorder and nap through the class.

Lawndart on
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    it is about equally painful for me to take notes by hand and to type, because my e, s, and left shift keys work to a substandard degree

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Considering it causes me no small amount of physical pain to handwrite anywhere near the amounts of notes I take in the average lecture course, I am certainly not hoping any professors of mine arbitrarily forbid laptop use in class.

I mean, if you insist, I can buy a small tape recorder and nap through the class.

Usually professors can be understanding and if they give you any crap than there are people you can usually talk to at your school along the lines of "Disability support services" who can make sure that you are given permission.

Sassori on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Except there's a lot of profs who forbid recordings because IT MEANS YOUR STEALING MY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTIES!!!1!

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    one of my professors this semester records the entire lecture and it is automatically uploaded to the university's network and until the end of April any student of that class can at any time stream any of the lectures

I think that's pretty cool

(she is doing random unannounced tests that make up a significant portion of the grade to encourage people to actually come to the physical lecture)

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited January 2011
    Sassori wrote: »

Usually professors can be understanding and if they give you any crap than there are people you can usually talk to at your school along the lines of "Disability support services" who can make sure that you are given permission.

I'm not officially diagnosed with any disability.

But I guess I'll burn that bridge if or when I happen upon it.

Just a bit surprised at the seething hatred for notebooks in class.

Lawndart on
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Baidol wrote: »
    If you want instant college fame, get a job writing editorials in the paper and take sides on topics that will infuriate your peers.

Who needs a paper when I can do that in classes right now.

Then again high school is...smaller...

I think I'll do this!

Oghulk on
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sassori wrote: »

I'm not officially diagnosed with any disability.

But I guess I'll burn that bridge if or when I happen upon it.

Just a bit surprised at the seething hatred for notebooks in class.

I think they could at least help you get through the proper channels even if it isn't a "Disability" of sorts.

Sassori on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If I fart really loudly during a lecture am I also impeding on your several thousand dollars

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If I fart really loudly during a lecture am I also impeding on your several thousand dollars

I'm keeping my own horse out of this race, but this is a silly comparison. You choose to open up your laptop. You (unless you have formidable sphincter control) cannot control your gas flow.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    it is ridiculous how much better of an environment my classes with profs who banned laptops are

people clearly engage more and discussion is so much more fruitful

satansfingers on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Baidol wrote: »

I'm keeping my own horse out of this race, but this is a silly comparison. You choose to open up your laptop. You (unless you have formidable sphincter control) cannot control your gas flow.

Yes my fart joke was in fact a serious contribution to this debate.

My actual two-cents which are undoubtedly invaluable seeing as I've never been to college, or had a class that I cared about where people used laptops:

Do what you want, just do it in the back or at least not directly in my line of sight.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I really do not get the mechanism by which someone opening their laptop ruins the entire class for everyone. I have been in plenty of classes with people doing other stuff on their laptop, the most annoying was a constant mouse clicking, but that's no more annoying than pen clicking or foot tapping.

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    it is ridiculous how much better of an environment my classes with profs who banned laptops are

I believe you!

I just don't understand this incredible hostility towards some people being on laptops in class, and some of those people doing nothing productive

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2011
    comparison

sometimes you're hanging with buds, but that one person shows up that always has really bad jokes and smells kinda funny

and it ruins the whole group dynamic even though he means well and you try to ignore him

Weaver on
    edited January 2011
    Well yeah fuck that guy, but I don't know, at my engineering school that guy is literal or at best split up into two people.

The laptop guy is more the guy who shows up to hang but then sits in the corner with ipod/laptop.

So we uh laptop indifferent people I think just don't understand how it subtracts from your experience, those people probably don't have bright insight into the topic and would otherwise sit there doodling in their notes most likely. They may not get the most out of the class. And when they're on aid and shit yeah that's annoying but in most cases there is some sorta system to try to help fight that. But in that single class how are they offensive?

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Am I the only one who doesn't consider going to a college-level class to be anything close to "hanging with buds"?

Lawndart on
    edited January 2011
    all of my classes are 20 people or under

Weaver on
    edited January 2011
    Weaver wrote: »
    all of my classes are 20 people or under

ditto except for some freshman 101 stuff.

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    AMP'd wrote: »

I believe you!

I just don't understand this incredible hostility towards some people being on laptops in class, and some of those people doing nothing productive

laptops get exponentially more annoying in really big classes

the sound of typing is so loud when 100+ people are doing it

satansfingers on
    edited January 2011
    also hurf analogies

Weaver on
    edited January 2011
    But on other types of annoying people. This fat ass bitch sat directly in front of me in a half empty class room and then proceeded to lean back all the way over my desk.

I'm thinking about taking one of the strings off my guitar and garroting her if she does it again next class.

Are there any other more socially acceptable solutions?

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Slap her bajoingjoings.

Oghulk on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Place your elbow on your desk with your fist sticking straight up, when she leans back let her bump into it to know the boundaries of your space.

Or punch her in the back of the head.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited January 2011
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Slap her bajoingjoings.

This is what my roommate suggested, or well strangling her with them instead..

But she's just so hideous and annoying the thought of touching her disgusts me.

Might try the elbow thing, still requires me to stop note taking but might work with out bringing the whole class' attention and then that awkward silence that always comes after such things.

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
    edited January 2011
    when she leans back, get up, move to seat in front of her, turn to her and say "sorry, I couldn't see"

Weaver on
    edited January 2011
    or instead of holding your fist up

really sharp pencil

Weaver on
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    sit in a different eat in the half empty classroom

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
    edited January 2011
    but i sat there first

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I need my laptop to type notes because I type way faster and more legibly than I write.

Sure I get distracted sometimes but in some classes I'm often one of the biggest contributors so. oh well.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I sit quietly and pay attention and keep up with my emails both personal and work related in class. Honestly as long as someone isn't playing Diablo or something that has them clicking like fucking mad and they keep the sound off I don't give any shit at all about what they do. Hell I'd rather they sit there quietly and raid than subject me to their silly worldviews or argue with the professors.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
    edited January 2011
    Weaver wrote: »
    when she leans back, get up, move to seat in front of her, turn to her and say "sorry, I couldn't see"

this is perfectly passive aggressive enough for me

but we have these seats basically

school-desk.jpg

and there are enough fat ass animu nerds or just one fat enough to crack the plastic in the middle and i can never pay attention if i sit in a chair where i feel like i'm suddenly going to end up with my ass on the floor at any second.

edit: and a broken one was in front of her

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    so do schools give you money for high sat scores or is this a lie

how do i get some money

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
This discussion has been closed.