As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Most Sensational Inspirational Celebrational Muppetational [Muppet Thread]

Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Muppets.jpg

So there's a new Muppet Movie coming out next year.

Muppet-pic.jpg

Writen by
220px-Jason_Segel_at_world_of_color.jpg
Jason Segel

stoller1.jpg
Nicholas Stoller

Directed by James Bobin, co-creator of
Flight-Of-The-Conchords-DVD.jpg

With songs written by
5_bret_mckenzie.jpg
Bret McKenzie

With non-muppet guest stars of

220px-Jason_Segel_at_world_of_color.jpg
Jason Segel

amy_adams.jpg
Amy Adams

chris.jpg
Chris Cooper

rashida-jones-pic.jpg
Rashida Jones

With story help from the creative team at

pixar-animation-studios.jpg

With known cameos by (spoilered for images)
Now some videos:

Interview with Kermit and Fozzie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCDcCIrq7G4
watch?v=0Zzfdlxjx4Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryEjm3k6uY0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMR5JVo21wQ&feature=related

Basically, lets talk about the Muppets as we anticipate the first Muppet project since "The Muppet Christmas Carol" that actually looks like it could be fantastic. Oh, brief synopsis of the movie's plot in the spoilers...
"The Greatest Muppet Movie of All Time is about Gary, Mary, and Walter (a man, his girlfriend, and the man’s life-long nondescript, brown puppet best friend) getting the old Muppet gang—now retired entertainers known for the same Muppet show we know them from—together to save the TV studio that the original show was shot in. A villain, Tex Richman (nice name, on par with Doc Hopper), bent on drilling for oil underneath the studio, is due to take over the studio in weeks and the only way to stop him? Putting on a show that draws ten million viewers."

Oh, and some of the newer muppet stuff on youtube that's been wonderful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgbNymZ7vqY

MIMIMIMI

No I don't.
Death of Rats on

• Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    A few years ago I got my wife a copy of A Muppet Family Christmas for her birthday. She'd had a copy recorded from TV on a VCR from when she was a kid, but her dad taped over it at some point. It has become a tradition for us to watch it every Christmas season, and we actually just got finished watching it a few hours ago.

I love this scene with the swedish chef singing

Ballman on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Donald Glover is also supposedly going to be in it, last I heard.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Donald Glover is also supposedly going to be in it, last I heard.

Added and corrected/added others as much as I could at the moment.... And added IMDB pages for everyone just in case people want to know who they are.

They have some seriously cool people showing up in this thing.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It must be shared.

Such a sweet song.

Looking forward to the new movie.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Given the time of the year, I think I should point out that A Muppet Christmas Carol, with Michael Caine rocking the house as Scrooge. That's a legitimately good movie with some excellent songs, especially the one they cut for the DVD version with Scrooge and his Ex.

It's my favorite Christmas movie by far.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This is possibly my favourite thing to ever come out of the Muppets.

Professional Pirate

That could have something to do with my love of Tim Curry being the best bad guy in everything ever.

Kelor on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    New Muppet Show this fall on ABC!

It looks great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfGjWB17hRQ

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I'm incredibly excited for this.

Impossibly excited.

edit: watched the trailer. i was expecting more of a muppets tonight thing

idk what i feel but i'll watch it.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JombalayaJombalaya Registered User regular
    Muppet Babies is best Muppets.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    The 180 seconds in that trailer were infinitely more enjoyable than Muppets Most Wanted was.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I'm incredibly excited for this.

Impossibly excited.

edit: watched the trailer. i was expecting more of a muppets tonight thing

idk what i feel but i'll watch it.

Muppet 30 Rock

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Some douche was whistling the theme from the muppet show now it is going to be stuck in my head all day and I'll be in a good mood. What a jerk.

This is reboot thing is kinda keen.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    That looks good. I'll take that.

No I don't.
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Do we know what kinda format is going to be? Like hour? Half hour? If it is the former there will be some potential for decent sketch/music/ fake interviews whatever with the guests, which could be quite neat.

I mean back in the day it was actually, like cool almost prestigious, to be a guest on the muppet show. It would be swell if they could recapture a bit of that.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    More information from the show's creator, who has an extensive Muppet background.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/05/13/everything_we_know_about_abc_s_the_muppets_so_far.html

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I couldnt quite make out what kermit is saying about bacon late in the preview when hes looking at piggy and the other pig.

It sounded potentially naughty.

"Animal open to tasteful nudity" "Thank you very much".

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Am I the only human being alive who enjoyed Muppets Tonight?

Admittedly, I was only exposed to Muppet-related things fairly later in life. I'm not claiming it was better than what I've seen of The Muppet Show or anything, but I did enjoy it. Again, limited exposure--I've only seen that Treasure Island movie too.

EDIT: Also the Christmas Carol story, I've seen that too.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    I liked Muppets Tonight. Just Clifford was a bit boring as host. The Dennis quaid episode with "great balls of fire" joke was pretty good.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I only have vague memories of Muppets Tonight during its original run on TGIF--though I do remember watching it often. We didn't have cable when I was growing up so I never saw the reruns that the Disney Channel would air.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Yeah, Clifford was a little dull (he seems to have vanished off the face of Muppet Earth, come to think of it) but Muppets Tonight was just fine.

• Options
    Now I remember what this TV show reminds me of! Jim Henson had, for years, been developing a Muppet movie that would be behind-the-scenes stuff called The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made.

A detailed history of the project (which almost happened) is here, but here's the plot: Kermit's too busy to do all the behind the scenes stuff on the next Muppet movie, so he hands responsibilities to Gonzo. Gonzo being Gonzo, he rewrites everything and shoots an extremely lavish, over-the-top opening sequence - which blows most of the film's budget. The rest of the movie gets crappier and crappier as money dries up and he's forced to take on corporate sponsorships.

Damn shame it didn't happen.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    redx wrote: »
    Some douche was whistling the theme from the muppet show now it is going to be stuck in my head all day and I'll be in a good mood. What a jerk.

This is reboot thing is kinda keen.

It doesn't even take a whistle, just someone mentioning it. You jerk.
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Now I remember what this TV show reminds me of! Jim Henson had, for years, been developing a Muppet movie that would be behind-the-scenes stuff called The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made.

A detailed history of the project (which almost happened) is here, but here's the plot: Kermit's too busy to do all the behind the scenes stuff on the next Muppet movie, so he hands responsibilities to Gonzo. Gonzo being Gonzo, he rewrites everything and shoots an extremely lavish, over-the-top opening sequence - which blows most of the film's budget. The rest of the movie gets crappier and crappier as money dries up and he's forced to take on corporate sponsorships.

Damn shame it didn't happen.

And then this jerk had to go and make me sad that this never happened.

Just a bunch of jerks being jerks in this thread

Veevee on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yeah, Clifford was a little dull (he seems to have vanished off the face of Muppet Earth, come to think of it) but Muppets Tonight was just fine.

One of my favorite jokes of all time comes from Muppets Tonight (wanna say it was the John Goodman episode?).
    Waldorf and Statler have gotten out of the home and are at a bar (they still inject their criticism because the bar TV is playing the show). The bartender asks them "what'll ha have?" And I believe Waldorf says "I'll try the pig knuckles."

So the bartender (a muppet pig) stops wiping down his glass, spits on his knuckles and punches him.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    Do we know what kinda format is going to be? Like hour? Half hour? If it is the former there will be some potential for decent sketch/music/ fake interviews whatever with the guests, which could be quite neat.

I mean back in the day it was actually, like cool almost prestigious, to be a guest on the muppet show. It would be swell if they could recapture a bit of that.

Looking at all the guest stars (Tom Hiddleston, John Oliver, Benedict Cumberbunch, just to name a few) on Sesame Street shorts lately, it shouldn't be that hard to get that feeling. I've talked to a lot of people who really like it when famous people interact with puppets, even when it technically directed at kids.