As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam | CHRISTMAS SALE! - Wait for Daily Deals on Games You Want

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dammit, still think Battlefield will be at a sale price tomorrow? Like maybe 10 bucks?

I'm going to have to take a walk and buy a Mastercard Gift Card for this sale but I don't know if I'll be able to manage it before 1.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    -Ke--Ke- Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fleck0 wrote: »
    So Bit.trip.beat Buy it for $5? I dunno, I definitely must own it before 2011. But will it either go cheaper or more likely be part of an indie bundle that I probly own a game or two from for the same price? (this may already be the case)

also I've heard rumblings of indie bundle duplicates being giftable any truth to that?

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/6922/

On another note, is the first level of Deus Ex difficult, or am I just terrible at this game?

-Ke- on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Big Isy is awesome

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm guessing it will be 20 dollars normal price because that's what I remember being before the sale, I can't confirm this though, It might be cheaper because Vietnam is out now so the question is do you wanna risk it?

Inkyblots on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    -Ke- wrote: »
    So Bit.trip.beat Buy it for $5? I dunno, I definitely must own it before 2011. But will it either go cheaper or more likely be part of an indie bundle that I probly own a game or two from for the same price? (this may already be the case)

also I've heard rumblings of indie bundle duplicates being giftable any truth to that?

On another note, is the first level of Deus Ex difficult, or am I just terrible at this game?

It's not actually difficult, but since the rules of combat are different from other games, Deus Ex takes a few levels to really get a feel for the weapons, AI personalities, and combat ranges. Push through that first island and you'll be in like flint <3

Kami on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Inkyblots wrote: »
    The opinions on DoW vs DoW2 differ greatly. Some say the sequel is amazing and the fast paced action/rts mixture is incredibly fun, while other think it's a terrible game and like DoW more for being a more traditional RTS (while being pretty damn unique in it's own right.)

Honestly they are both completely different so depending on your RTS preference you might like one more than the other or maybe even both! It'd be a Christmas miracle.

Cool, thanks.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Dammit, still think Battlefield will be at a sale price tomorrow? Like maybe 10 bucks?

I'm going to have to take a walk and buy a Mastercard Gift Card for this sale but I don't know if I'll be able to manage it before 1.

It is on EA's publisher pack page, so it will probably be between 25 and 50% off.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Big Isy is awesome

We are all awesome. :6:
    And you totally outdid anyone by sending 3 kickass games.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I got the THQ pack mainly because I wanted to check out WH40K DOW. Saints Row 2 and Metro 2033 helped, but mainly 40k.

I assume I should start with DoW Gold and play the expansions before moving on to 2? Or is DoW2 just a fuckton better and I should skip #1?

Dawn Of War 2 is very different than the original Dawn Of War games.

Dawn Of War is much closer to a traditional RTS - base building, lots of units, resource management. Only with extra grimdark and more dakka.

Dawn Of War 2 does away with pretty much all of that. You control a squad of 4 units, build no bases, and manage no resources. Instead you collect loot (called wargear) and level up your squad. Only with more grimdark, even more dakka, and Tyranids. Lots of fuckin' Tyranids.

Also, if you like factions other than the Space Marines, you'll like the original DOW games better since you can only play Space Marines in DOW2's single player.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

I had the same question, heh.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Play the tutorial, then buy a level in a skill (small arms or whatever if you're going shooty).

corky842 on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    proyebat wrote: »
    There is this glitch I encountered on the steam community. Someone go to their wishlist, and try to go back to the Store home page. I got stuck on the Wishlist page. Had to restart my client.
    Double click the store button to go to the store homepage.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kami wrote: »

It's not actually difficult, but since the rules of combat are different from other games, Deus Ex takes a few levels to really get a feel for the weapons, AI personalities, and combat ranges. Push through that first island and you'll be in like flint <3

One of my best friends asked me if there was any kind of patch to make the shooting more "arcade-y", because "he got sick of missing his shots unless he stood still and crouched".

My memory is hazy for the next couple hours, so I wasn't lying when I told the cops I had no idea what happened.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh man, Steam's getting to me. I'm considering getting PoP 08 since it's only 5 bucks. I know it's not a great game, but it's so pretty. Are the graphics worth 5 bucks? Bear in mind, this is not a game I had ever thought of buying before I saw it for 5 dollars.

I'll let you know if my download ever goddamn completes. :P

Lawndart on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh man, Steam's getting to me. I'm considering getting PoP 08 since it's only 5 bucks. I know it's not a great game, but it's so pretty. Are the graphics worth 5 bucks? Bear in mind, this is not a game I had ever thought of buying before I saw it for 5 dollars.

I played through PoP 08 on my 360 last year and enjoyed it, and I probably paid $10 for it.

SteevL on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ok so

I got the THQ pack mainly because I wanted to check out WH40K DOW. Saints Row 2 and Metro 2033 helped, but mainly 40k.

I now own:

Dawn of War Gold
    Dawn of War Dark Crusade
    Dawn of War Soulstorm
    Dawn of War Winter Assault
    Dawn of War 2
    Dawn of War 2 Chaos Rising

I assume I should start with DoW Gold and play the expansions before moving on to 2? Or is DoW2 just a fuckton better and I should skip #1?

They're different. DoW is classic RTS, build your base, manage army, get the objectives. DoW Gold has campaigns, dark crusade has a sort of 'RISK' mode where you choose a faction (out of 7), take over enemy regions by battling them - and some regions have some sort of objective style, especially the strongholds of the other 6 factions. Soulstorm copies this campaign style and adds the sisters of battle/dark eldar, but SS is less interesting than Dark Crusade.

DoW 2 on the other hand plays more like an action ... tactical thingy. You control 4 squads, you select which troops beforehand, their gear, their abilities in the talent tree - defeat mans in tactical encounters, collect loot that drops etc. More commentary going on in this game. So I think DoW 2 is better, but they're different enough that you can choose which to do first, really. If you want more large troops with tanks -> DoW 1 campaigns, DoW 2 for the few tactical supertroops.

Alegis on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I think it's alright actually. Music is great too.

Boss battles/combat is usually just dumb though.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
    I just got gifted Tomb Raider Anniversary by IdolNinja. Commpletely out of the blue. MY GOD THE LOVE....... IT IS TOO MUCH.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

One of my best friends asked me if there was any kind of patch to make the shooting more "arcade-y", because "he got sick of missing his shots unless he stood still and crouched".

My memory is hazy for the next couple hours, so I wasn't lying when I told the cops I had no idea what happened.

AHAHHAHAHAHAH :^: :^:

Kami on
  • Options
    ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So quick question... If I was to buy a Tomb Raider game, having never played one before, which one should I get?

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

thanks a bunch chime seemed interesting after all the positive feedback I heard after it was a treasure hunt title.

The first mission of deus ex can vary depending on how you like to play. I like to take the sniper rifle from Paul, though I've definitely reloaded a few times on that one due to NSF using poison darts and the extra precision it takes because of your low level skills. Basically quick save often is the best advice I can give

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Also, I couldn't do PA secret santa this year because of personal emergencies, but I'd like to gift two copies of Deus Ex Pack to the first two people to add me on Steam, and throw me a shout with the chat client. Everyone needs to play Deus Ex! :^:

My username is kamidahobo

Kami on
  • Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I love both DoW games, but truth be told DoW2 to a lesser extent. Personally I think DoW's multiplayer is a lot more fun than the sequel, maybe not as balanced but from what I hear neither is DoW2. I like the huge amount of armies to choose from, the huge battles and the hero (or super? I'm not sure what you'd call em) are a lot more fun. I just don't think anyone plays online for either game. But Last Stand is supposedly popular.

Inkyblots on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, thanks to lowlylowlycook for Battlefield. People are too kind in this thread, I'm starting to feel guilty.

I'll definitely be trying to pay this forward.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
    I just got gifted Tomb Raider Anniversary by IdolNinja. Commpletely out of the blue. MY GOD THE LOVE....... IT IS TOO MUCH.

You're a gifting fiend, man. It's the least I can do to hook you up with some holiday cheer of your own. :D

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Zedar wrote: »
    So quick question... If I was to buy a Tomb Raider game, having never played one before, which one should I get?

I say Underworld but I know some others who prefer Legend. It really is a divisive series.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

So basically if I'm used to the combat in STALKER I would be right at home?

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    One claimed, lucky contestant is Kriz!

One left!

Kami on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Gaslight wrote: »

Sorrtt of. Basically with Deus Ex (especially the first), things aren't completely dependent on aim or manual accuracy, but on dice rolls. Once you upgrade your stats, and once you get better weapons, things start evening out a bit.

Basically it's the same style as Alpha Protocol, if you've had a chance to play that.

Kami on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ah, screw Prince of Persia. I've already blown so much on RDR and the new Assassin's Creed off Amazon, and there will be other games I'll want to buy.

Damn it, I hate self-restraint.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    YET ANOTHER MEAT CONTEST

How to play: Post in thread your most delicious recipe for cooking some kind meat and PM me the link to it cause there is no way in hell I can play all these awesome games and keep up with this thread. The tastiest recipe wins.

Qualifications: Registered on the forums at least 3 months ago and made at least 100 posts. Ingredient list and cooking instructions.

Disqualifications: PETA approved recipes.

BQ5oRl.jpg

Last time this will probably be mentioned before I decide on a winner. Make sure you send me a friend request by following my sig so I can gift it out right away when I purchase it.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If the stealth in Deus Ex proper is like the tutorial stealth part, I am going to suck at it and should not try.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    Man, I'm going to have to pick up the Oddworld Pack if that goes on sale again during the repeats

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If the stealth in Deus Ex proper is like the tutorial stealth part, I am going to suck at it and should not try.

I really want a way to remap the Crouch key from X to Shift or Control! I suck being stealthy with the X key. yeah that's the reason I suck!

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Hahah stealth with Deus Ex is very much 'breaking the system', just like Thief before it.

Later on in the game, though, you can clear out a room of fully armed assassins in mere seconds, and you'll feel like a champ in the process. <3

Kami on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Sorrtt of. Basically with Deus Ex (especially the first), things aren't completely dependent on aim or manual accuracy, but on dice rolls. Once you upgrade your stats, and once you get better weapons, things start evening out a bit.

So it's essentially STALKER gunplay crossed with Morrowind's "You only thought you hit him with your sword but actually the dice say no" melee combat?

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

So it's essentially STALKER gunplay crossed with Morrowind's "You only thought you hit him with your sword but actually the dice say no" melee combat?

Yeah, that's a safe way to look at it. It's alot less clunky once you start leveling up stuff, though. Like I said, if you push your way through the starting area and start getting some skill ups and augmentations, you'll hit a stride, and be unstoppable from there on out :^:

Kami on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I bought this game called Caster because it was $1 and it looked fun.

Turns out it's awful. But it was $1. So I don't feel too bad about it.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I don't do secret santas, because frankly this is easier, and I don't need to know if I'll have money in advance.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I don't do secret santas, because frankly this is easier, and I don't need to know if I'll have money in advance.

Yeah, that's a good point, money is tight all year round, much less during Christmas! What if my secret santee only likes the finest of wines and cheese? I'd be ruined!

Speaking of, I still got one gift copy of Deus Ex Pack up for grabs! Add me up homies!

Kami on