As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Irond Bill 156] - The Japanese Anime, Manga, and Video Game Holocaust

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    adults-only means 16 and up in Japan, right? I doubt that 15 year olds really buy a lot of manga/anime anyway. Also, it seems like kids could evade this law by going to manga cafes instead.
    Imagine as a 16-18 year old having to go to an adult only store to buy a pg-13 movie.

And I'm not sure if manga cafes are allowed to carry adult-only content.

Joule wrote: »
    B:L wrote: »
    As you can tell by some confusion on what it means, the law is vague enough that they can apply it against homosexual acts if they please, and given that the lead supporter of the bill is a homophobe, it is very likely they'll do so.

Seriously, guy: cite that shit. I've read all the quotes you've provided and I'm not seeing any language that can be twisted to encompass homosexuality; whether gay marriage is illegal or not. Mass confusion doesn't mean the law can be applied to label homosexuality as AO. It means, simply, that the masses are confused. The lawyers aren't going to be.

You're right that the new bill 156 doesn't outright list homosexual relations as part of the illegal acts and thus suggests works involving such (unless between close relatives) should be in the clear.

What does affect those titles is the existing harmful material classification law if creatively used.
    It doesn't even need to be that creative.

Here's what Ishihara had to say:
    It’s not just about children. We’ve got homosexuals casually appearing even on television. Japan has become far too untamed. I’ll go forward with [this bill] with a sense of mission in heart.

Hmm I wonder what "mission" he's referring to. Well the courts wouldn't allow them to do that, and the lawyers know it can't happen, right?
    You might say the courts would never interpret these provisions as far reaching, but the Japanese courts are very right wing and conservative. A number of Japanese lawyers (both working for the industry and independent) say it is worded such that it could be used to censor any work of fiction which contains a depiction of a crime or unlawful death or violence, which includes essentially any anime, manga and games with any kind of action content.

UH OH

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So, how are you going to save Loli High School Sorcerers and Smega Princess? Petition? Armed revolution? Boycott that pocky shit?

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So, how are you going to save Loli High School Sorcerers and Smega Princess? Petition? Armed revolution? Boycott that pocky shit?
    The only real way to fight political injustice is to raise awareness of it happening.

Hopefully the morphogenetic field will take care of the rest.

• Options
    edited December 2010
    So that's your plan? "JAPAN IS BANNING UNDERAGE INCEST CARTOONS AND COMICS" is hardly going to get the internation response you think it will.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kind of blows my mind to see people on D&D apathetic about or even supporting of censorship laws.

Even if it were only used to target things like lolicon and incest and other relatively deviant stuff, why is that okay?

It's a law based firmly in moral panic, designed on the surface to fight a boogeyman that doesn't exist, with the actual intent of shaping Japanese culture back into something right-wing old men are comfortable with.

Kamar on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'm not supporting it, I'm just saying people are doing jack shit to stop it. Talking about it accomplishes nothing.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Joule wrote: »
    What does affect those titles is the existing harmful material classification law if creatively used.
    [Then the] gay-themed comics would already be AO.

I wouldn't say that is necessarily true.

Necessarily? No. But if it were the ruling power's intent was to abuse the old law to oppress homosexual publications, I'm under the impression they've had ample time to do so, what with this being his third term.
    We’ve got homosexuals casually appearing even on television. Japan has become far too untamed.

Holy fuck. Is Japan culture-locked in the 50s due to half of it's population being over 50, or something?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    We’ve got homosexuals casually appearing even on television. Japan has become far too untamed.

Holy fuck. Is Japan culture-locked in the 50s due to half of it's population being over 50, or something?

In Japanese courts, domestic violence is described as being done by a man to a woman. There is no such thing as a woman being abusive to a man.

So, yes. I believe so.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Call me nuts, but I just don't think most people will care about this. As I said, this is the same thing that happened to American comics back in the late 40's-early 50's.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Here is an article that explains the homosexuality issue:
    http://dankanemitsu.wordpress.com/2010/11/24/of-illegal-fictional-marriage-and-harmful-fictional-sex/

Here is an article about what we can do about it:
    http://dankanemitsu.wordpress.com/2010/12/14/something-people-overseas-can-do-fight-misconceptions-about-bill-156-and-japan/

Raising awareness and fighting misconceptions is a good fight that can aid the overall effort.

• Options
    edited December 2010
    Hi! Child rape is bad. That is all.

Man, I am so great.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I mean, you're just talking about, not organizing against it.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Call me nuts, but I just don't think most people will care about this. As I said, this is the same thing that happened to American comics back in the late 40's-early 50's.

So a bit like the Comics Code Authority, something that could last until a Japanese version of Stan Lee decides to do something about it and ends up changing the rules?

I don't think the world could handle two Stan Lees existing at the same time!

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Slicer wrote: »

So a bit like the Comics Code Authority, something that could last until a Japanese version of Stan Lee decides to do something about it and ends up changing the rules?

Japanese Stan Lee is exactly like normal Stan Lee, only with a goatee instead of a mustache.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I mean, you're just talking about, not organizing against it.

So -- just to make sure I understand your position correctly -- you think that people on a forum titled Debate and Discourse should not, er, debate and discourse upon this topic unless they are actively taking measures to oppose this bill? Do you actively take measures to support (or oppose) every topic you argue in favor of (or in opposition to) on a web forum?

Clipse on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I don't debate and discuss Cherry Coke by calling it [CC 1L] - The American Soda Holocaust and I sure as shit don't photoshop on Hitler mustaches to the bottles.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Slicer wrote: »

Or we could just use regular Stan Lee. He does anime too, you know?

animestanlee.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, he loves him some coffee.

EDIT: I get that B:L is passionate about defending the mediums he loves, but this is bloody childish and gets his cause nowhere. Just present the facts and lost the Nazi shit.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Why not just ignore Nemo and continue discussing this law?

Given that the PM has voiced his opinion against this law, do you think much will change?

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    All I'm saying is that if someone is so morally outraged by this bill, then they should try to do something about it. It's pretty fucked up, but in time it will fade and the medium will return stronger then ever.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    If this sends economic ripples the way some people expect, will that be enough to get killed in Japanese political culture? Or do they stick to their social issue guns in that situation?

Kamar on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Why not just ignore Nemo and continue discussing this law?

Given that the PM has voiced his opinion against this law, do you think much will change?
    I'm not entirely familiar with the Japanese politics, but the PM could possibly promote public backlash against this bill, and hopefully that can encourage the courts to rule against it if it is challenged.

A secondary hope is that this encourages the youth to actually vote Ishihara out. It's like how Obama energized the youth vote, except this guy is turning the youth vote out against him.

Kamar wrote: »
    If this sends economic ripples the way some people expect, will that be enough to get killed in Japanese political culture? Or do they stick to their social issue guns in that situation?
    To paraphrase something I read, the last time Japan tried to thought police, it took a nuke or two to change their mind.

• Options
    edited December 2010
    'Tis an odd place Japan. I suspect that those who proposed and passed the bill will stick to their guns, but my knowledge of Japanese politics is admittedly limited.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kind of blows my mind to see people on D&D apathetic about or even supporting of censorship laws.

Even if it were only used to target things like lolicon and incest and other relatively deviant stuff, why is that okay?

It's a law based firmly in moral panic, designed on the surface to fight a boogeyman that doesn't exist, with the actual intent of shaping Japanese culture back into something right-wing old men are comfortable with.
    My primary complaint is that they're dealing with stupid shit like this instead of the people groping schoolgirls on trains.

But hey, maybe this will cut down on the schoolgirl-groping. If so, I'm all for it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Hopefully the potential economic backlash will help turn the tide (given how much they export and how big the industry is here), but the cynic in me doesn't think Ishihara will ever be voted out. I mean, look at the shit he's said, and he's still governor:
    In 1990, Ishihara said in a Playboy interview that the Rape of Nanking was a fiction, claiming, "People say that the Japanese made a holocaust but that is not true. It is a story made up by the Chinese. It has tarnished the image of Japan, but it is a lie."
    Ishihara said in a 2001 interview with women's magazine Shukan Josei that he believed "old women who live after they have lost their reproductive function are useless and are committing a sin," adding that he "couldn't say this as a politician." He was criticized in the Tokyo Metropolitan Assembly for these comments, but responded that the criticism was driven by "tyrant" "old women."
    ...in 2004, Ishihara stated that French is unqualified as an international language because it is "a language in which nobody can count," referring to the counting system in French, which he believed to be based on units of twenty rather than ten...

B:L
    I'm not too versed in them, either. I've been reading bits and pieces about Kan, but not much. I don't think he'll have near the impact that is needed, personally.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hopefully the potential economic backlash will help turn the tide (given how much they export and how big the industry is here), but the cynic in me doesn't think Ishihara will ever be voted out. I mean, look at the shit he's said, and he's still governor:
    In 1990, Ishihara said in a Playboy interview that the Rape of Nanking was a fiction, claiming, "People say that the Japanese made a holocaust but that is not true. It is a story made up by the Chinese. It has tarnished the image of Japan, but it is a lie."
    Ishihara said in a 2001 interview with women's magazine Shukan Josei that he believed "old women who live after they have lost their reproductive function are useless and are committing a sin," adding that he "couldn't say this as a politician." He was criticized in the Tokyo Metropolitan Assembly for these comments, but responded that the criticism was driven by "tyrant" "old women."
    ...in 2004, Ishihara stated that French is unqualified as an international language because it is "a language in which nobody can count," referring to the counting system in French, which he believed to be based on units of twenty rather than ten...

I'm not too versed in them, either. I've been reading bits and pieces about Kan, but not much. I don't think he'll have near the impact that is needed, personally.
    Half of Japan agrees with him on the first two points, and he's kind of right about the third.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, I suppose that is true. There are some schools that are taught that the US started shit with Japan, not the other way around. :( Not to mention that revisionist history museum that opened somewhere. I forget where that was...

I was pretty happy when my English teacher explained the anniversary of Pearl Harbor and what happened therein to the kids (in Japanese, too).

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    To paraphrase something I read, the last time Japan tried to thought police, it took a nuke or two to change their mind.

this is hyperbolic and idiotic

1) explicit labeling of kids shows
    2) ?
    3) the rape of nanking part 2

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

French is pretty awful for counting, to be fair. One out of three is better than average for politicians, really.

Clipse on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »

No, Will, this is a thing that actually happened.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokubetsu_K%C5%8Dt%C5%8D_Keisatsu

America had to step in and go "FREEDOM FUCK YEAH" to get rid of it.

• Options
    edited December 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »

My primary complaint is that they're dealing with stupid shit like this instead of the people groping schoolgirls on trains.

But hey, maybe this will cut down on the schoolgirl-groping. If so, I'm all for it.

The idea of otaku nutjobs reading lolicon manga and kidnapping little girls (to look at the extreme) is basically the same thing as the idea of gamers playing violent video games and going on killing sprees.

It's a bullshit thing spun by the media. Seems like every time anyone goes crazy in Japan, if they read manga or watch anime the media goes nuts.

As you might imagine from the violent video games comparison, this is almost always complete horseshit, even when the perpetrator is an otaku.

But all that aside, I'm of the (perhaps extreme) opinion that even if you could show a link between viewing certain kinds of fiction and committing certain criminal acts, censorship isn't an option that should be considered seriously - there have to be other ways of stopping crap like that without thought-policing.

Kamar on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2010

you are likening a secret police system to a labeling system for kids shows

do you think you might be a little disproportional here?

"the highschool wouldn't let me put up my poster with profanity on it for spirit week. tomorrow they will be the schutzstaffel"

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010

The point was to show the typical Japanese mentality towards authoritarianism, with an example from history.

It ain't no thang to them.

Economic factors might not be influencial enough against this bill, as mentioned in the quote tree, but a possible attempt at getting the youth vote out could oust Ishihara.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Man, B:L, could you write an OP that is even more biased? I'm against such censorship, but you've really written the most biased OP I've ever seen. Ever.

Seeing the word "anime" on Debate and Discourse got my hopes up that we could finally have an anime thread again, but I guess I'll never get to talk about anime to anyone worth conversing with ever again.
    If you actually cared, you could just come on IRC instead of posturing about how you don't want to talk with us, but I suppose that's too much effort.

---

You know, this shit wouldn't fly if Taro Aso were still in power.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I went to Japan this past summer with a group of friends and there are literally porn shops on almost every corner in Tokyo. The family marts sell magazines that we'd consider pornographic. We went into a 7 story tall porno shop in Akiabara the electronics district. I think there's a lot less stigma about pornographic material, or at least for the most part what americans would consider pornographic, in Japan, so the people saying "can you imagine having to go into a adult video store to buy a pg-13 game?!" or whatever, I don't think it's as big of a deal over there.

On the same topic, down the street from the zoo we went to was a porn shop, with signs of nude women outside it and kids walking by and stuff. It's a different culture in that regard, they just don't see it as a huge deal. At least that's the impression my friends and I came off with.

Ash of Yew on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    Its amazing to me, B:L, that you can be so obsessed with a foreign entertainment medium and yet be content in your massive ignorance of japanese politics and history. It just doesn't track.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The Cat wrote: »
    Its amazing to me, B:L, that you can be so obsessed with a foreign entertainment medium and yet be content in your massive ignorance of japanese politics and history. It just doesn't track.

You shouldn't be too amazed at this point.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The Cat wrote: »

[weeaboo]

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I would be more suportive against the censorship issue if the OP wasn't so obviously biased. I react badly to people telling me what to think, be they Goverment or fantical anime fans.

The governor may be a douchebag, but drawing a hitler mustache on a photo and putting it in the OP is what?

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

The point was to show the typical Japanese mentality towards authoritarianism, with an example from history.

It ain't no thang to them.

Economic factors might not be influencial enough against this bill, as mentioned in the quote tree, but a possible attempt at getting the youth vote out could oust Ishihara.

Did you ever hear about something called HUAC? I guess the American mentality is naturally diposed towards authoratarianism. It took a threat of nukes from from Russia to straightem 'em out.

Pi-r8 on
This discussion has been closed.