As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Street Fighter: Arcade Edition: Home Edition releases June 7, for 15 dollars.

ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA!Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology
WDfeI.jpg
(Click the image for an AE FAQ!)

24e2x75.jpg

2ch6lxk.jpg21ljx9w.jpgjgo4d1.jpg21jbqep.jpg7237lx.jpgvxkuq9.jpgf40ght.jpg
2wqspau.jpg33csvhz.jpg3wx3t.jpg34jbreb.jpg4ram3d.jpg21b6lb9.jpg11qrct0.jpg
2d0njuh.jpgdzv4nd.jpgnoc174.jpg2rlzo0o.jpg2mxegyf.jpg1108z1f.jpg2m4u5bo.jpg
2cdzy3r.jpg23msisk.jpg2d7uf6b.jpg2ih2lcl.jpgzoewwg.jpg33b1w8n.jpgzluh39.jpg
2pr89xs.jpgfeqb1c.jpg2dsiu8l.jpg2i6ow7r.jpg122n592.jpg2zqrg2r.jpgnmyst1.jpg

Arcade Edition stuff.
AE Trailer
Everything you could ever want to know about AE.
Destructoid official release info
Some AE gameplay from Captivate
Evil Ryu and Oni Akuma details
List of Arcade Changes (take it with a grain of salt, this shit will probably change a lot)
More current changes for Ryu/Boxer/Cammy/Guy/Viper
New Costumes, pictures and complete release schedule.
OMJEZUS Ryu/Boxer/Viper/Cammy/Guy Changes!
Amagads! Juri/Fei Long/Vega/Rufus/Ken Changes!
WTFRAK? Chun/Fuerte/Cody/Sakura Changes!
HEY! Honda/Ibuki/Rose/Gouken Changes!
Listen! Blanka/Abel/Gen/Makoto Changes!
Oh my! Guile/Hakan/DeeJay/Seth Changes!
Great Scott! Dhalsim/Bison/T. Hawk/Akuma/Adon Changes!
Yun - A guide.

So you wanna be a Street Fighter?
Step 1: Fundamentals
The information in the spoiler will help you get started!
Gooteck's Guide for Beginners
The Footsies Handbook
A list of common Street Fighter notations
A glossary of common Street Fighter terms
Shoryuken New Player Forum
What to practice in practice mode.
Sirlin's Playing to Win Guide- Deals with mindsets and strategy.
Know your character! - a bit shallow, but good for basics
Know your character some more! Getting a little deeper.
[vidurl="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onvtbvgU_Rk"]Vesper Arcade Guide[/vidurl], pretty good for total newbies, gets into more advanced stuff in later chapters.
[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDMboPnznJc]Video on hit confirming.[/vidurl]
[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHHoGHcgK9k]Video on option selects[/vidurl]
[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBUe7HkRkNM]Video on spacing and zoning[/vidurl]
[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFTvXXoDNRA]First in a good series[/vidurl] of videos on zoning, knockdown and something else good that I forgot.
Vesper Arcade shows you how to do the trials
Step 2: Getting more serious.
More information than you thought existed, and arcade stick info.
The Street Fighter Wiki page
Eventhubs.com
How to read frame data.
Shoryuken Forums - Character specific forums are great!
Why good players lose to bad ones.

The best thing you can do is play people better than you. Losing sucks but you learn a lot more than from people who you just steamroll. Get in lobbies with other PAers, since we run the whole skill spectrum. They're nice and will help you with advice and stuff. Furthermore, in Super, you can watch your own replays to see why you lost! How cool is that?
Step 2a: Getting a fight stick.
The Joystick Rant
Just buy a god damn TE. Don't ask in the thread, don't second guess it, don't read reviews online, don't poll your friends. Do you know what everyone is going to tell you? GO BUY A GOD DAMN TE. You know what people will say if you ask if you should get an SE? Save yourself the trouble and buy a TE. And then you'll be like "Why is the TE so much better than the SE?" and we'll all say "The buttons suck and you'll have to replace them and it just saves a lot of time and probably money just to get the TE." And then you'll ask us "But what about a Hori stick? I heard those are good." And then everyone will say "Yeah those are okay but they're not as good as the TE or even the SE because it's harder to mod" and then some silly goose will say "Hey, I like Hori's" just to confuse you but then someone else will be like "Yeah Hori's are fine but is it better then the TE?" and the original silly goose will be like "Oh no nothing is better than the TE" because nothing is better than the TE. And then you'll ask us why the TE is so good and the answers will invariably involve the modability, out of the box professional quality parts and the overall sexiness and build quality. But then of course because you have to make this difficult you'll say "I can't use Japanese parts because I need an octo gate, I can't use a square gate, also I need a bat top and some sort of adapter to make it work and blah blah blah" and invariably someone will come in and link you all the things you just mentioned above and tell you where to buy it from.

So I just saved the whole thread like three pages of people trying to be the first to recommend the TE and the ridiculous questions that come with it. JUST. BUY. THE. T. E.

Now that we have that out of the way, here are some stick related links:
The SRK Tech Talk Forums: Everything you need to know to mod or build your own stick.
Switching from a pad to a stick.
Arcade Stick Guide - Complete with reviews, faq and glossary!
Slagcoin's Ridiculously In Depth Joystick Guide
[vidurl="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsME37GrqjY"]Ways to hold a joystick[/vidurl]
Step 3: Watching the pros, learning the matches
The PA Fighting Game Community!
If you're on the 360, you can add the metafriend: A PA SSF4

We also made a super cool IRC room! #PAFighting at irc.slashnet.org:6667 You can use this web client if you're SUPER UNCOOL. So people know, we are naming ourselves LFG_YourName in irc if you're looking for a lobby, and LFM_YourName if you're looking for more people! Simply use /nick to change your name in chat. You should use a non web client because sometimes the web client breaks while the server is still up for some unknown reason. If you need help configuring IRC, Blackbeard made this super cool guide:
How to get mIRC working

Step 1: Go to http://www.mirc.com/ and click Download mIRC and install it. Just do all the basic stuff and let it do its thing. It's pretty fast.

Step 2: Go file > select server. Under connect, click on servers. Then click the Add button that appears on the right. Under description, put whatever you want. Under IRC server, put irc.slashnet.org, ports put 6667, and for group put #PAFighting. Password leave blank. Hit ok when done.

Step 3: Click connect again on the left menu, and fill out the nickname box and other info (I had to also do full name and email before it stopped giving me shit. I also unchecked invisible mode in case it did what it sounded like). Click the connect button under those info boxes, and wait a sec. A box should pop up asking what channel to join. Enter #PAFighting and click join. That should do it. If you get an error at this step, you may have to reopen the server select menu, click on firewall, and add port 6667. I had to, but your mileage may vary.

Know anything I'm missing? Let me know and I'll add it.

ChaosHat on

• Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Transferring from the previous thread:

I feel a bit weird, I'm stepping away from a previous main and picking up new characters, two of whom have received buffs while the third has had adjustments up and down.

I just wanted to broaden my game.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    God damnit Hiryu

I wanted to love Makoto...I spent the first week trying to love Makoto. WHY MAKOTO, WHY?!

Maybe in AE she shall become my main! MAYBE

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You'll have to get an xbox for that.

ChaosHat on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    You'll have to get an xbox for that.

No u

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • GF-BoceifusGF-Boceifus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Aumni wrote: »
    God damnit Hiryu

I wanted to love Makoto...I spent the first week trying to love Makoto. WHY MAKOTO, WHY?!

Maybe in AE she shall become my main! MAYBE

Responding to your last post in the other thread:

Makoto has no reliable anti air...
    False if you ask me. Granted her fukiage isn't very good, but her s.mp, c.mk, j.fp more than make up for it. Perhaps this doesn't bother me as much as others since I played Abel for so long and had to use normals for anti air.

Her specials have shit range...
    I'm assuming you mean karakusa and oroshi, but it only really applies to oroshi. Kara karakusas have all the range they need including ex. Fun fact: Makoto is in range to kara ex karakusa after any Hayate on any character. If the hayate is the fierce version, a perfectly timed kara ex kara will only lose to a perfectly timed three frame normal, or a special with throw invulnerabilty. It sucks that you have to learn an extremely advanced technique to pull this off, but I don't think that makes her bad.

Her footsies have no followup...
    Fake hayate? Instant air tsurugi? Honestly I really don't know what you're looking for here. F.mp is also an option.

Her specials are all unsafe on block...
    This is true, though it isn't easy to punish a lp hayate. Solution, don't throw them out when they won't hit.

Looking at this whole angle from another standpoint, who thought Adon could win a major BEFORE gamerbee? If you raise your hand you are a liar.

GF-Boceifus on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL / GFWL: Boceifus
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fucking ugly ass man legs.

blaze_zero on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Makoto is not very good, boceifus. Are you disputing that she should be bottom tier?

She just has a lot of really bad matchups - any strong pressure will make life hard for her. Any fireball zoning will make life hard too. Right there that's like, half the roster. She has to work really hard to win a match, harder than most other characters.

She can definitely win matches, and the game is well balanced enough that she is just weak, not hopeless. But having to work way harder than other characters is what makes a character worse than them. That's the definition.

Evil Multifarious on
  • KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    • Gouken's Standing Medium Punch into Crouching Hard Punch connects, but EX Running Palm sometimes won't land if you do it from too far away.

Woo!

Kinderparty on
    edited December 2010
    Makoto is not very good, boceifus. Are you disputing that she should be bottom tier?

She just has a lot of really bad matchups - any strong pressure will make life hard for her. Any fireball zoning will make life hard too. Right there that's like, half the roster. She has to work really hard to win a match, harder than most other characters.

She can definitely win matches, and the game is well balanced enough that she is just weak, not hopeless. But having to work way harder than other characters is what makes a character worse than them. That's the definition.

I'm stating a couple of beliefs.

1. Tiers are shit and meaningless in a game as well balanced as SSF4.

2. Most of the time, the deciding factor in who wins and who loses is the player, and not the character.

3. Almost everyone who complains about Makoto has no idea how to play her to her fullest potential.

4. All of this is only opinion, and could quite possibly be completely wrong.

I have sat and wondered what it is that makes Makoto considered weak / low tier, and I've never come up with a defintive answer. Each time I've lost with her it was my fault for making poor decisions, or for screwing up execution. This is the same thing that happens when I play Abel, Guy, or Guile. Vice versa for when I've won with her. I straight up outplayed my opponent. Maybe I just see everything with rose colored glasses, but Makoto players have made it far in tournaments. NinjaCW did really well at that Arizona major last year, and Justin Wong has used her on occasion to great effect.

I can't remember the last time I saw a Blanka or Bison in top 8, but lots of folks on these boards moan non stop about them. Guile is considered top tier, but what tournaments has that character won?

GF-Boceifus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Didn't daigo win that canada tournament with guile?

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    • Gouken's Standing Medium Punch into Crouching Hard Punch connects, but EX Running Palm sometimes won't land if you do it from too far away.

Woo!

You decided to resubscribe to WoW instead of Live.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited December 2010
    Makoto is considered poor because she has zero defense up close, no escape options, and no real zoning options. I find that is her biggest problem. Her offense is great, although the command grab should have dramatically greater range.

I have played makoto players who are significantly better than me, and any time I got the offensive, they were in bad trouble. It's the same problem hakan has.

You are the only player I've ever heard claiming that makoto is not one of the weakest characters in the game. Including other makoto players!

Evil Multifarious on
    edited December 2010
    Makoto is considered poor because she has zero defense up close, no escape options, and no real zoning options. I find that is her biggest problem. Her offense is great, although the command grab should have dramatically greater range.

I have played makoto players who are significantly better than me, and any time I got the offensive, they were in bad trouble. It's the same problem hakan has.

You are the only player I've ever heard claiming that makoto is not one of the weakest characters in the game. Including other makoto players!

VRyu says she's solidly mid-tier right now. Of course, he's Swedish and you know how they are.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited December 2010

I would say those Makoto players were using the character as an excuse for their poor play.

She isn't as well rounded of a character as Ryu, but she isn't shit. (Which incidentally is how this whole discussion got started)

But I play her and Guy, so what do I know?

GF-Boceifus on
    steam_sig.png
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Enough of this talk! GRUDGE MATCH!!

GF vs EM. The winner is right. Period. :D

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited December 2010
    Well, EvilMultifarious would win because he's not the one playing Makoto.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited December 2010
    Pancake wrote: »
    Well, EvilMultifarious would win because he's not the one playing Makoto.

You're probably right, but that's why they play the games. Any given Sunday!

Actually I just want them to fight in the streets.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited December 2010
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I miss playing you Dover, we always had good matches.

Maybe we should team up one night and stab mens in AC:Brotherhood. God forbid we get a whole team of PA players to wreck shop with.

Besides, if Evil beat me I would just say that he was the better player and I didn't lose because of Makoto! :P

GF-Boceifus on
    steam_sig.png
  • StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well I've been playing 3rd strike on GGPO for a bit now and I can safely say, Makoto there is a beast. Makoto in SSF4 is just... not threatening for some reason. Im suprised at how low she is in the tiers though (bad matchup vs Gen really??).

Anyway, I wonder if itll be a good thing or horrible thing to come back to ssf4 after playing 3rd strike for a month or so. I really like parrys.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
    edited December 2010

I miss playing you Dover, we always had good matches.

Maybe we should team up one night and stab mens in AC:Brotherhood. God forbid we get a whole team of PA players to wreck shop with.

Besides, if Evil beat me I would just say that he was the better player and I didn't lose because of Makoto! :P

I'm down for fighting or stabbing in the streets. I usually play AC:B with my MNC buddies and we always end up one person short of a solid Manhunt team. I'll PM you next time we plan on playing.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited December 2010
    I know I'm late to the party, but here's hoping Guile retains viability in his bad matchups.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    StokedUp wrote: »
    Anyway, I wonder if itll be a good thing or horrible thing to come back to ssf4 after playing 3rd strike for a month or so. I really like parrys.

Worse than that is playing Alex and hoping Abel will ever come close to being badass. Yeah, I just trained you to parry option select, now eat a FLYING DDT.

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    I know I'm late to the party, but here's hoping Guile retains viability in his bad matchups.

The nerfs to Sonic Hurricane hurt, but his other nerfs were damage tweaks. Besides the startup on Hurricane, he's not losing any abilities he has now. My concern is that with the increased startup on Hurricane, he won't be able to Flash Kick FADC U2 (which now does even crapier damage). Not that I could do it outside of training mode anyway, haha.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited December 2010
    Flashkick FADC U2 is intact, according to the latest reports. Airthrow feels visibly slower, and no confirmation on the EX meter build rate nerf from Sonic Boon.

Hiryu02 on
    edited December 2010
    Don't remember if I posted this in the last thread, but is anyone here still interested in custom art for their arcade sticks? I know some people who can do the job. One of the advantages of going to an art school I guess. :)

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited December 2010
    boceifus has beaten me a number of times with makoto

i would say this is because he is better at the game, not because makoto is super awesome

therefore if i beat his makoto it is because he is playing an inferior character!

QED

Evil Multifarious on
    edited December 2010
    Gouken comment from AE.

• Not sure if this is due to lag or change to the back throw, but there were a lot of people missing the Ultra 1 after a back throw.

due to lag

lag

What? This is ARCADE edition we are speaking of, right?

Hiryu02 on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Beer lag. The best kind of lag.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Gouken comment from AE.

• Not sure if this is due to lag or change to the back throw, but there were a lot of people missing the Ultra 1 after a back throw.

due to lag

lag

What? This is ARCADE edition we are speaking of, right?

Monitor lag possibly? Do you provide your own monitor for the viewlix cabs in any way at all for that to be an issue (ie. monitor breaks, want to change from the default one, etc.)?

Maybe translation error if it's a non-native speaker?

My two cents on that comment.

Column on
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Since this is so hard for you, Boceifus, let's try it another way. What does Makoto do well, better than anyone else? Now, looking at her strong points, look for other characters with similar pros and cons, is she better off than those people?

My guess is when you try and look at it like that, she isn't. Makoto is fine in a vacuum but so is everyone it's relative strengths and matchups that matter.

ChaosHat on
    edited December 2010
    gen is not fine in a vacuum

gen is awful everywhere and in all contexts

Evil Multifarious on
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Im suprised at how low she is in the tiers though (bad matchup vs Gen really??).

The most I can think of is that a Gen player can mash hp (for safe hands) to get out of makoto's pressure like he does against Bison's rep of cr.short xx scissors. That can't be it though, that's just dumb.

Yeah, mashing hp is actually a tactic for Gen to get out of some mix ups, I'm not making this up. Bison can stop that nonsense with a random ex move but I don't think Makoto has an answer for it other than ultra.

Ranced on
  • hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Does chun li have a cameltoe in the pictures in the op or is it just me?

hadoken on
    edited December 2010
    pretty sure that's actually the polygons of her ass

Evil Multifarious on
  • StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ranced wrote: »
    Im suprised at how low she is in the tiers though (bad matchup vs Gen really??).

The most I can think of is that a Gen player can mash hp (for safe hands) to get out of makoto's pressure like he does against Bison's rep of cr.short xx scissors. That can't be it though, that's just dumb.

Yeah, mashing hp is actually a tactic for Gen to get out of some mix ups, I'm not making this up. Bison can stop that nonsense with a random ex move but I don't think Makoto has an answer for it other than ultra.

Im annoyed i never used this tactic when I mained Gen. Makes so much sense, like Chun-Lis lightning leg spam. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

And also :( that I missed the Chun camel toe...

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • EstiloEstilo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wow I'm getting smashed in this game. I've been playing SF3 for ages and trying to use dudley now and his fierce punches feel so short it's weirding me out and I suck terribly and everything. Also latency. I think I have a twitch now due to how many times I press throw and get thrown instead. Also, dual shock controller I hate ou with a burning passion.

Seriously though is Dudley's jump-in worse now than in SF3?

Estilo on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    gen is not fine in a vacuum

gen is awful everywhere and in all contexts

One can say that Gen is a vacuum.

Wearingglasses on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nice burn last night Folken.

'If you were a better player, you would have beaten me by now.'

chamberlain on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nice burn last night Folken.

'If you were a better player, you would have beaten me by now.'

The only reason it came to me was because of how many times i've used the "If I was a better player i'd....." excuse.

I liked my comparison of Guile nerfs to the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell but I think that joke was lost through the tubes...

Good games dude.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Don't remember if I posted this in the last thread, but is anyone here still interested in custom art for their arcade sticks? I know some people who can do the job. One of the advantages of going to an art school I guess. :)

oh hell yes! Ive been meaning to get a custom bison art for my 360 se, im just terrible with ps. Expect a pm!

So, AE is out. Any word on Oni Akuma or evil Ryu? Or are they probably timed releases like gouki?

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png