As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Help] Upgrade to a Dual-Core system

BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
Seeing as how dual-core and up CPU's are becoming mandatory for gaming these days, I'd like to bring my aging desktop into the modern age. My budget is (ideally) 300 dollars, give or take a hundred at most.

My current computer contains:

CPU
RAM
MOTHERBOARD
PSU
VIDEO CARD
HDD
..with a basic Soundblaster audio card and some third-party wireless card. All this is running Windows XP.

I know I'll have to replace the motherboard (and by extension, the RAM) but I was hoping to keep the power supply and video card. Basically, any advice on what I should replace and brands/models to look for would be greatly appreciated.

BlueDestiny on

• Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This is a decent combo, and you could pick up 4gb of DDR3-1333 for about 50 bucks. So there's an upgrade that you could keep using the rest of your stuff with for ~150.

With memory you want to stick to known brands: Crucial, Kingston, OCZ, Mushkin, G.Skill, etc. AMD will give you more bang for your buck with regards to processors. Motherboards are a lot about personal preference, anymore (I prefer Asus, personally) but you sorta get what you pay for. The BIOS board doesn't have a whole lot of upgradability, but it will be fine as a starting board.

Pirusu on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That looks perfect! I don't intend to do any overclocking and such so anything basic is fine. Will I need to get the 64-bit version of Windows XP installed though? Or would upgrading to 7 be a smarter choice?

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't know if they've fixed it or anything, but drivers for XP-64 used to be absolutely terrible. Like, REALLY bad. I'd upgrade to 7 if you can.

Pirusu on