As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer Upgrade Plan

milehighmilehigh Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I'm starting to budget to replace my current machine. I think the hard drive is starting to go, and I'm wanting to get current so I can play recent games. I have a laptop to use if it goes completely, however I'm wondering if the following logic makes sense. I want to do just one reformat/reinstall over the course of this upgrade if possible:

Stage 1: Mobo, processor, hard drive
Reformat/reinstall Windows/software
Stage 2: New RAM
Stage 3: New Video card

Is this realistic or should I really be doing another reformat after stage 3 as well? I'm used to buying everything at once but with the hard drive going out things are a bit more urgent. Thanks for any advice.

milehigh on

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Why would you need a reformat after installing a new video card?
    And if you're going to reformat at the end of all this, why do it at the beginning too?

Granted, I'm not exactly up on the latest and greatest PC tech, but it seems like your plan should be fine.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Well, if I'm replacing the hard drive I need a fresh install, just haven't built a machine in about 5 years and couldn't remember protocall for this stuff. Plus I didn't know if driver conflicts came into play with the video card or not.

milehigh on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If you're current system is at the age where your hard drive is dying, your current RAM may not be compatible with your new Motherboard/Processor.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    milehigh wrote: »
    So, I'm starting to budget to replace my current machine. I think the hard drive is starting to go, and I'm wanting to get current so I can play recent games. I have a laptop to use if it goes completely, however I'm wondering if the following logic makes sense. I want to do just one reformat/reinstall over the course of this upgrade if possible:

Stage 1: Mobo, processor, hard drive
    Reformat/reinstall Windows/software
    Stage 2: New RAM
    Stage 3: New Video card

Is this realistic or should I really be doing another reformat after stage 3 as well? I'm used to buying everything at once but with the hard drive going out things are a bit more urgent. Thanks for any advice.

If you have an AGP card you'll have to buy a new one right away as well.

Basically you're replacing old tech with new tech, if they're generations apart then there's no way to bridge the gap in bits and pieces, depending on what you go with, you'll need a power supply too.

If you upgrade every year or so, you can do it in bits and pieces.

I think you should tell us what you currently have and what you plan on spending. You wont need a new mobo/cpu to get a new hard-drive, IDE is still around on new boards (though fewer in number, unless you look hard) so your drive is about the only thing on that list that doesn't have to happen all at once.

Now:

Get a new drive, maybe power supply.

Later:

Save up monies to a target, I'd say 500$ is a good "goal" though you may need more or less.

cpu, mobo, ram is anywhere from 300$-350$, leaving you 150$-200$ for a video card and those are dropping in price fast.

edit: If you aim well behind the curve you could spend substantially less than 500$, but it's a good number to start with for price vs performance value.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Heh, not quite that far behind the curve. I have a PCI express video card that'll do in the meantime (Geforce 7900GTX), RAM is compatible as well and I've got a quality Antec PSU in a nice Coolermaster case. I've definitely done this before, but never in pieces like I'm planning here, I've been used to basically building a new machine and installing Windows once. In my mind it's always been: New hardware=reformat. If I can get by without having to reformat after the RAM and video card I should be good to go.

If the hard drive wasn't starting to go I'd just wait another month and get the whole system at once, my laptop just isn't an adequate replacement for what I need though, so I'll do what I can piecing this together. Definitely looking forward to being able to play some of the good looking games this generation.

To extend this discussion, I'm thinking the following for the biggest components:

Asus Sabertooth LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Intel i5 750 2.6Ghz (may go with the 760 2.8 since it's not much more expensive)
    Geforce GTX 460

in the $250-$300 price range I seem to be seeing that the Geforce GTX 470 is a solid performer, are there any other cards I should be considering in that range? I used to be all about reading reviews and comparing benchmarks, overclocking performance, etc, reallly just don't have the time to delve into that these days. If this'll make for a solid setup I'll go with it, but I'm open to feedback. Thanks again all!

milehigh on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    milehigh wrote: »
    Heh, not quite that far behind the curve. I have a PCI express video card that'll do in the meantime (Geforce 7900GTX), RAM is compatible as well and I've got a quality Antec PSU in a nice Coolermaster case. I've definitely done this before, but never in pieces like I'm planning here, I've been used to basically building a new machine and installing Windows once. In my mind it's always been: New hardware=reformat. If I can get by without having to reformat after the RAM and video card I should be good to go.

If the hard drive wasn't starting to go I'd just wait another month and get the whole system at once, my laptop just isn't an adequate replacement for what I need though, so I'll do what I can piecing this together. Definitely looking forward to being able to play some of the good looking games this generation.

To extend this discussion, I'm thinking the following for the biggest components:

Asus Sabertooth LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Intel i5 750 2.6Ghz (may go with the 760 2.8 since it's not much more expensive)
    Geforce GTX 460

in the $250-$300 price range I seem to be seeing that the Geforce GTX 470 is a solid performer, are there any other cards I should be considering in that range? I used to be all about reading reviews and comparing benchmarks, overclocking performance, etc, reallly just don't have the time to delve into that these days. If this'll make for a solid setup I'll go with it, but I'm open to feedback. Thanks again all!

Save 90$-100$ and get a GTX 460, I haven't run across anything I couldn't top out settings on with mine, really the era of it being a huge deal to have a 300$+ video card is over, the hardware outpaced the software by so very much.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    the AMD HD 6870 outperforms the GTX 460 and is about 30 bucks cheaper.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You can get GTX 460s for lower than $150 on tigerdirect. I haven't seen any 6870s that low. Microcenter sells the i7 950 for $200. A decent quality board runs anywhere between $100 to $140. Depending on how many PCI-E 16x slots you're looking for. You can get 6 gigs of DDR3 for about $75 for. Large HDDs are less than $100. A good PSU with enough power to run SLI down the road if you want will run around $100.

Obviously lower end parts will be even cheaper.

You really don't have to format and reinstall windows when you change ram or the video card. That's just a waste of time. For the video card just run driver sweeper and driver cleaner and maybe clear out any files in your assembly folder associated with your old GPU.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png