Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Board Games] Space Alert owns. Like, a lot.

scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Critical Failures
Hello friends! This is your pal scrivenerjones and I am here to talk about board games.

This is a board game:

O6HxU.jpg

Looks like fun, right??? Of course not, Monopoly is a bad game. Fortunately there are also good games!

Here's a list I stole from Ryadic's old OP

If you like Risk, try looking into Twilight Imperium 3rd edition.

If you like Clue, try looking into Mystery Express.

If you like Monopoly, try looking into Acquire.

If you like Stratego, try looking into Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation: Deluxe Edition or the standard one.

If you're looking to have a pretty small collection, but one that covers a lot of ground, here's a good place to start:
A pretty good list! Here are some other games that are fun to play.

~*~ Deck Building Games ~*~

Dominion

tcf8P.jpg

Oh my god this game is good. You use treasure cards (gold) to buy kingdom cards (white/blue) and victory cards (green). Victory cards dont do anything in your deck, but at the end of the game whoever has the most points wins. Sounds boring? Wrong!! There are dozens of different kingdom cards but you only play with 10 at a time, so every game will have its own strategy and counter-strategy. There are several expansions out, and they are all great (except for Alchemy. Sorry Alchemy!!). You can also play Dominion online for FREE at http://dominion.isotropic.org. In conclusion, Dominion Owns.

Also don't buy Village.

Puzzle Strike

GSowO.jpg

It's a deck building game but with chips in a bag instead of cards in a deck! Pretty wacky. Also instead of Victory Points, you are trying to beat the other players at a Puzzle Fighter clone by stacking gems. Yeah I dunno either. People seem to like it though.

~*~ Worker Placement Games ~*~

Stone Age

2g8L3.jpg

Stone Age is my favorite game that I am terrible at. You have a collection of little guys--"meeples" if you will--that can be placed in different locations to perform different tasks. The theme is sort of based on hunter-gatherer society I guess?? Either way you have to feed your workers, get resources to buy huts and cards, and (this part is important) fuck over the other players as hard as you can by taking the cards and spaces that they need in order to win points. Great fun!!

Alien Frontiers

lbJQF.jpg

This game was some guy's Kickstarter project and it has gotten so much hype that he literally cannot keep the things in stock. The hype is deserved. It's a worker placement game where the dice are the workers?? And with a retro '50s space exploration theme??? I think you can still preorder as of this writing but they aren't coming out til March. Doesn't matter, buy it anyway.

~*~ Big Fuckoff Games That Won't Fit On Your Table But They Own Anyway ~*~

Android

HZ42K.jpg

Look at all of those bits, goddamn.

Android is a game about catching a murderer. But it's not like Clue, where the murderer is decided in advance and you are trying to figure out who it is--instead, you play as a detective who has a hunch, and you are trying to prove your man is innocent (or guilty). Does this mean you have a real hunch and are trying to find the truth? Or are you fixing up evidence to frame an innocent man/let the real killer go free? YOU CHOOSE! Count on 4-5 hours for this guy but the theme is great and you will probably have lots of fun.

~*~ Co-op Games That Own But Will Stress You The Fuck Out ~*~

See thread title.

Space Alert

Space Alert is a full cooperative, space-themed game where you and a crew of 4-5 (you can play with less, but you shouldn't) try to survive in space for ten minutes. Sounds easy? Figure you can just go full Pandemic/Forbidden Island and power-gamer every turn, making it trivial? Well, wrong, because those ten minutes take place in real time. Here is your ship, the Sitting Duck class space exploration vehicle:

caJ5U.jpg

You and your crewmates move about the ship, firing lasers and maintaining the reactors, as a CD soundtrack indicates when another terrifying space-being/enemy fighter/asteroid/deadly ship malfunction has appeared. In real time, you plan your ten-minute struggle to survive, then when it's all over there is a "resolution step" where you find out whether you survived (spoiler: you didn't). Each game doesn't take long--ten highly stressful minutes to actually play, then another fifteen or so to resolve what happened. However, the game is designed with a ramping difficulty, with gentle tutorials leading into tricky simulations leading into brutal full missions. So you'll want to commit a couple hours to this one. I played it for a solid sixteen hours over my birthday weekend and regret nothing.

EDIT: a post itt reminded me, there is a fanmade expansion called "Little Duckling" that shrinks the board and weakens the threats, making it playable with 1/2 players. I haven't tried it yet, but worth considering if you want to try SA but find it hard getting 4/5 people together.

EDIT2: here is a video review. watch it, then buy space alert, the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5fHzYtuHBA

~*~ Two Player Games ~*~

People always ask what is the best two player board game? There are many answers but only one correct one:

Twilight Struggle

0VvfY.jpg

The Cold War is our setting, with one player controlling the USSR and the other the USA. You can have influence over different countries of the globe (represented by the little numbered tokens) that goes up or down depending on what you do. A bunch of cards representing historical events/people/things (Cuban Missile Crisis, De-Stalinization, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb) drive the action as the players react to them. It's asymmetrical but balanced, and how cool is that?? You can also play online for FREE, more on that later.

~-~

Got more games you like? Post about them! A post with resources and links and crap is next.

scrivenerjones on

• scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ~*~ Resources ~*~

Stealing from Ryadic again:
    Board Game Geek - What needs to be said this? Well for the people that are coming here that are new to the hobby or looking to get into the hobby, this would be a great place to start. BGG offers a lot of great things that new players and older players alike can appreciate.

Board Game Prices - This site is great for searching a game you want, and finding the best price for it.

Board Game News - Just as the name suggests, it is a great site for news about board games. Release dates, announcements on reprints, expansion updates, etc... Since it's strictly news, it's a bit better than BGG.

Critical Failure's PbP Gaming Index - Darian does an amazing job of keeping a list of current PbP games as well as completed games. Want to play a game on these here boards? Just refer to this thread. Reading through threads also gives you a good overview of how the game flows.

~*~ Online play ~*~

Can't find anyone to sink seven hours into Arkham Horror with you? Your gaming group took one look at the BSG board and decided to play Fluxx instead? Now there's a solution--play online with strangers instead! Or internet friends, I guess. Here are some links.

Isotropic

Play Dominion online, with all the expansions, with a clean, useable UI, for free. What else do you need to know.

Brettspielwelt

This program is pretty obnoxious to use, but there are a lot of great Euro games available. Now you can get violated by Germans at Stone Age without having to buy a plane ticket!

VASSAL

VASSAL is a virtual tabletop program. There are hundreds (thousands?) of board games available--all you have to do is download a module for the game you want to play, load it up, and you are ready to go. Some of the modules are pretty barebones, so you have to do all the recordkeeping and piece-moving yourself, but others have automation built in that can really speed things along.

~*~ Space Alert Stuff ~*~

Mostly putting this stuff here so I can find it later.

Flash Player

Replaces the CDs that come with the game. Plays the mission tracks along with some helpful visuals, or randomize new ones.

Flash Turn Processor

Tell it the threats, tracks, and crew actions, and this flash app will run the resolution step for you. Very helpful, and watching the little dudes run around, hit buttons, and die horribly is chuckleworthy.

~*~ PA Board Game Pals ~*~

From the old OP. If you want to be included or something is out of date, post away!

Ryadic wrote: »
    Meet the forumers

Ryadic
    Spoiler:

Gene Parmesan -
    Spoiler:

admanb -
    Spoiler:

jakobagger -
    Spoiler:

Dracil -
    Spoiler:

Da Bid Dabid -
    Spoiler:

Limp moose -
    Spoiler:

Captain Marcus -
    Spoiler:

SlickShughes -
    Spoiler:

ratchet -
    Spoiler:

starmanbrand -
    Spoiler:

Shushnik -
    Spoiler:

CptHamilton -
    Spoiler:

hacksword -
    Spoiler:

Gaebril -
    Spoiler:

Jacoby -
    Spoiler:

The Ender -
    Spoiler:

Litejedi -
    Spoiler:

Joe Dizzy -
    Spoiler:

Alegis -
    Spoiler:

Niceguy Myeye -
    Spoiler:

Inquisitor -
    Spoiler:

Alistair Hutton -
    Spoiler:

antherem -
    Spoiler:

GoodOmens -
    Spoiler:

• lazegamerlazegamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Android [...] Count on 4-5 hours for this guy

True
    but the theme is great

True
    and you will probably have lots of fun.

False

Surprise.
    - Spy
  • DarianDarian Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The older boardgame thread had some nice recommendations in the first few posts; linking so that we can find it again when needed.

• jakobaggerjakobagger KøbenhavnRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hooray, Twilight Struggle! Nice OP, though I really liked the "meet the forumers" - idea. Could you maybe steal that too?

edited December 2010
    jakobagger wrote: »
    Hooray, Twilight Struggle! Nice OP, though I really liked the "meet the forumers" - idea. Could you maybe steal that too?

I figured it was horribly out of date so I left it out. Going to grab it now though!

• AthenorAthenor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well what type of game are you looking for?

I've asked myself that tons of times before. I personally would love to get Twilight Imperium in the worst way, as I love MOO style games... but the time investment has made pretty much all my friends say no. When I say "Rails" game, it is something similar -- build rail networks, trade goods, basically either dominate the map or resources or whatever. Catan sort of has these qualities, but with single cities instead of networks.

And yeah, I meant Arabian Knights.

For reference, I own:
    BSG+Pegasus
    Arkham Horror + 7 expansions (Currently on hiatus until I perfect its carrying/organization scheme)
    Chaos in the Old World
    Citadels
    Drakon
    Wings of War (Dawn of WWII)

Most of these were bought on suggestion from this very thread, where I ask these questions every 6 months or so.

My play group also has:
    Starcraft
    Dominion (to the point of burnout, they love it at my office)
    Carcasonne + a couple expansions
    Settlers of Catan + 5-6 (including Seafarers and Knights & Citadels)
    And a few others that are less played cuz I don't hang out with them as often, such as Horus Herasy.

(What does the OP mean by "Don't buy the village" for Dominion? Everyone always buys those out first to chain actions...)

fCew0YJ.jpg
    Steam & NNID - Athenor // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471
    edited December 2010
    Power Grid is a very good economic system/"rail" network building game.

Your group also should have Puerto Rico available. :)

edited December 2010
    Athenor wrote: »
    (What does the OP mean by "Don't buy the village" for Dominion? Everyone always buys those out first to chain actions...)

Yes, which is why not buying villages is an easy way to be better than your friends almost instantly!

edited December 2010
    Darian wrote: »

It's on the list. A bud of mine played it and loved it, so he'll be getting it when he gets a chance.

Power Grid intrigued me when I saw its box, but I wasn't sure how much economy there was to the game.

fCew0YJ.jpg
    edited December 2010
    Hahaha I just started a game of Twilight Struggle vs a dude from Spain on VASSAL and he quit as soon as he drew his hand. Must have been pretty bad!!!

• SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User
    edited December 2010
    Just got 7 Wonders and I'm excited to try it out, should be getting some 5 player games of it in tonight. Super pissed about the component quality though, I was expecting a lot more for the price. Going to try to pick up some sleeves for it, first time I've done that since playing Magic lo these many years ago.

Houn wrote: »
    This is Penny Motherfuckin' Arcade. It's a better class of forum, and you know it.
    edited December 2010
    Darian wrote: »

It's on the list. A bud of mine played it and loved it, so he'll be getting it when he gets a chance.

Power Grid intrigued me when I saw its box, but I wasn't sure how much economy there was to the game.

The plants are auctioned off each round; each player only can buy one, so the last to buy gets theirs at cost automatically. Then, there is a commodities market where each player in order (worst to first) can buy fuel for their plants. Next, you pay to connect new cities to your grid (with limitations on how many can provide power to a given city). Finally, power up your plants and get income based on the number of cities you provide power to. Finally, re-rank all players (by number of cities, then value of their most expensive plant), add some goods to the commodities market, clean up the auction group, and do it all over again the next round.

The value of a plant depends on how efficient it is and what fuel it uses; the cost of fuel can fluctuate significantly depending on how many players are using it at the time and how quickly its supply is replenished (which depends on the number of players and the board used).

edited December 2010
    If anyone wants to learn TS I will be on vassal in an hour or so. Big fun!!

• starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Athenor, which of those games does your group -really- like and why? Easier to suggest when we know not only what you play, but also why you like it.

camo_sig2.png
    edited December 2010
    Athenor, which of those games does your group -really- like and why? Easier to suggest when we know not only what you play, but also why you like it.

BSG, Citadels, and Catan are the most frequently brought out. Starcraft requires the right mix, and Chaos is our "we can't find enough players" game. Arkham... well, I'm looking outside of my normal gaming group to play that, due to a lot of factors.

The biggest issue is that my gaming group isn't getting together as much as we used to, now that we are out of college and slightly drifting apart. It'd be easier if I had a car, because then I could go to the 2-3 local gaming clubs.

Honestly, at this point I'm trying to make up my mind between Civ and Twilight Imperium. I'm -really- in the mood for an empire building game... and frak my friends.

fCew0YJ.jpg
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I played a round of BSG (didn't get to finish it) and at first it was like 'meh'.

Then we took off the kids gloves and we were at each other throats at every crisis card resolution.

This game can, and will, destroy friendships.

Fucking amazing board game. A shame I don't really have a consistent gaming group.

steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    You pretty much described BSG when there is a traitor that no one knows about. The game becomes substantially less fun after the cylon is revealed. And then there are the large portions of gameplay where it comes down to "well were still a few jumps away and we have very little morale left. We're going to lose, but its going to take another hour"

Id like to, also, say dont get a huge empire building game without the friends to play it with you. Its going to be expensive and take up a large amount of room. And then you'll never get to play it. I've fallen into this trap many times and am just telling you what I wish people would have told me.

camo_sig2.png
    edited December 2010
    I've been told that too, regarding the empire building games. And I've thought about all the negatives, especially considering that TI apparently pretty much requires its expansion. But... at the same time, I don't want my friends to dictate what I do and don't buy. I'm the kind of guy who likes hosting sessions. After all, I played "game-master" for my last game of Arkham, teaching 5 players who had never played before and 2 vets, and keeping the game on track and handling rules questions.

Don't get me wrong, I want to play. But I think it's one of those things where you have to look before you leap. I won't buy a game without seeing an action report here, and I love following along.

Also, on BSG: Exodus should help with that whole "revealed traitor" aspect. And I -have- destroyed friendships over BSG. I have an awesome friend who gets exceedingly competitive about games and takes it very hard when he loses.

fCew0YJ.jpg
  • XiVXiV Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    On the subject of ~*~ Big Fuckoff Games That Won't Fit On Your Table But They Own Anyway ~*~:

Arkham Horror

pic179031_md.jpg

Fight off Cthulhu and try not to go insane! This is the first game most people think of when they hear "Fantasy Flight", and for good reason. One of the most atmospheric games and polarizing due to its heavy dependence on luck. It is also GIGANTIC. So, the base game hardly even fits my living room table? And now you're telling me there are seven expansions?

Everyone who played Arkham have their own horror stories on how they never played the game correctly, but this is more a problem of "having over 2000 bits that interact with each other in ways you didn't think possible until you read them" instead of the main rules. Get someone to teach you and you'll be flying through the turns in no time. As a bonus it even plays solo very well.

• RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

BSG, Citadels, and Catan are the most frequently brought out. Starcraft requires the right mix, and Chaos is our "we can't find enough players" game. Arkham... well, I'm looking outside of my normal gaming group to play that, due to a lot of factors.

The biggest issue is that my gaming group isn't getting together as much as we used to, now that we are out of college and slightly drifting apart. It'd be easier if I had a car, because then I could go to the 2-3 local gaming clubs.

Honestly, at this point I'm trying to make up my mind between Civ and Twilight Imperium. I'm -really- in the mood for an empire building game... and frak my friends.

Twilight Imperium is just a more in depth version of Starcraft I think. I personally prefer Starcraft because games last around 4 - 5 hours rather than 8 - 12.

I could recommend Power Grid, Puerto Rico, Race for the Galaxy, Agricola, Age of Empires III, Chicago Express, Steam/Age of Steam, and a bunch of other games that are amazing that you don't have.

steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    XiV wrote: »
    On the subject of ~*~ Big Fuckoff Games That Won't Fit On Your Table But They Own Anyway ~*~:

Arkham Horror

pic179031_md.jpg

[...]

Get someone to teach you and you'll be flying through the turns in no time. As a bonus it even plays solo very well.

This is true. There are some amazing rules summary sheets out there, and one I've become very fond of the modular reference sheet, which fits on 4 pages (5 with the annotations for where the ruling comes from). I'm also in the process of boxing and sorting my cards so that I can quickly insert or remove parts as we decide upon playing.

fCew0YJ.jpg
    edited December 2010
    God I love Ameritrash. BSG's manual has a "List of Frequently Overlooked Rules." Android's manual has an index.

edited December 2010
    God I love Ameritrash. BSG's manual has a "List of Frequently Overlooked Rules." Android's manual has an index.

You know, I wrote off Android as just being some shallow copy of Shadowrun or something.

... It really appears that I was wrong. Damnit. And I really like Kevin Wilson's work, too!

fCew0YJ.jpg
    edited December 2010
    If anyone wants to learn TS I will be on vassal in an hour or so. Big fun!!

Dammit, why did I only see this now. I spent my evening being stuck in a frustrating advanced map in Portal when I could have played TS. Anyway, I play the newest module, 3.05 for the deluxe version. We should play sometime.

edited December 2010
    yeah im going out for tacos but I will be back in a bit. PM me or whatever if you're around later.

• EndaroEndaro Weyland Consortium Building a Better WorldRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Personally, I'm loving my shift of hobbies away from video games over to board games. It has, however, provided me some perspectives on the difference between the two industries. For example, coming in to board games I'm always surprised by the extra mile they seem to go for the customer, at least in comparison.

One thing I'd like to touch on though, and ask for people's input, is the controversies of the two. Within Video Games, sexism seems to be the common problem. Many games exist with no or few female character options, always restricted to impossible proportions, trapped in armor that resembles lingerie more than protective clothing, etc. Flat female characters that are often weak and voiceless. This doesn't seem to be as much of a problem within board games. It's always fun to introduce new players to the female character options in Arkham Horror, listing off that they can play not just the beautiful socialite, but the psychologist, the college student, the author, the scientist, the researcher, and the nun in the base game alone.

On the other hand, I see complaints of racism come up more often in board games. While there are certainly examples within video games, they don't seem to get much attention. On the other hand, I've seen multiple comments on the racial implications of Puerto Rico, or complaints of racial stereotypes (from as vastly different places as characters in Arkham Horror to the theme of Wok Star).

Am I just noticing exceptions and coincidences, or does this seem to be the case? And if so, why?

freelancer_zps76131532.png
  • lazegamerlazegamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Was able to give Tribune another shot this weekend. I think the expansion objectives make the game a lot more interesting. I haven't had a chance to try out the effects of the Brutii yet because you need a five person game.

Surprise.
    - Spy
    edited December 2010
    Endaro wrote: »
    Personally, I'm loving my shift of hobbies away from video games over to board games. It has, however, provided me some perspectives on the difference between the two industries. For example, coming in to board games I'm always surprised by the extra mile they seem to go for the customer, at least in comparison.

One thing I'd like to touch on though, and ask for people's input, is the controversies of the two. Within Video Games, sexism seems to be the common problem. Many games exist with no or few female character options, always restricted to impossible proportions, trapped in armor that resembles lingerie more than protective clothing, etc. Flat female characters that are often weak and voiceless. This doesn't seem to be as much of a problem within board games. It's always fun to introduce new players to the female character options in Arkham Horror, listing off that they can play not just the beautiful socialite, but the psychologist, the college student, the author, the scientist, the researcher, and the nun in the base game alone.

On the other hand, I see complaints of racism come up more often in board games. While there are certainly examples within video games, they don't seem to get much attention. On the other hand, I've seen multiple comments on the racial implications of Puerto Rico, or complaints of racial stereotypes (from as vastly different places as characters in Arkham Horror to the theme of Wok Star).

Am I just noticing exceptions and coincidences, or does this seem to be the case? And if so, why?

video games are pretty racist too but other than that you have a point.

also here is a Good Post from another forum about village and why it is garbage
    It turns out Village is one of the worst cards in the game.

There are three degrees to this:

1. Village is +1 Card, +2 Actions. Any card that is +1 Card, +1 Action replaces itself and thus "doesn't count" for your deck. Every other card that has this effect has something that really contributes to make this a really powerful effect. An extra action is the weakest addition to your deck.

Having the option for +2 actions makes you play sloppy, as well. It encourages you to buy terminal actions that would hurt you in the long run together.

So, what I'm saying is that Village does literally nothing unless you have 2 terminal actions that you plan to play in the same turn. You spent a turn buying nothing.

2. The odds of you drawing Village and your terminal actions is abysmally low. You'll end up drawing both the actions and no village (which sucks, because one of those cards could have been money). You'll draw a village and one or no actions, and so on.

3. Village costs the same amount as Silver. The key of the game is to increase the buying power of your deck enough so that you can buy enough victory cards to end the game while in the lead (and each victory card bought reducing your buying power). If you draw 4 coppers and a village, you're doomed to $4 (which buys jack shit) unless you draw a Silver with your village (which you couldn't do because you bought a Village instead).

If you drew 4 copper and a silver, you could buy a gold. Gold is awesome. Gold lets you buy 5-cost actions (which are amazing) and 6-cost actions (which are also amazing) consistently. Gold also opens the way to Province, the best card in the game. Why gold is awesome is beyond the purpose of this point. The purpose of this point is that you don't have enough money in your deck. When do you have enough money? When you can literally buy a Province every turn uninterrupted. You can not buy Provinces with just copper.

edited December 2010
    I find it rather silly to call Puerto Rico racist. Even if the little brown bits were called something less neutral than "colonists", saying that slaves were used for labour on Caribbean plantations in the 17th century is just...true. It's what happened. That doesn't mean you condone slavery. I'm normally one of the first to point out racism and other bigotry, but sometimes people need to learn to distinguish fiction from reality.

edited December 2010
    Also remember when Smallworld came out and there was a megathread concerning how sexist it was because the one female race in it was Amazons and they were chesty in tiny jungle clothes?

camo_sig2.png
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I find it rather silly to call Puerto Rico racist. Even if the little brown bits were called something less neutral than "colonists", saying that slaves were used for labour on Caribbean plantations in the 17th century is just...true. It's what happened. That doesn't mean you condone slavery. I'm normally one of the first to point out racism and other bigotry, but sometimes people need to learn to distinguish fiction from reality.

I mean, I mostly agree with you here, but there's a difference between describing a historical fact and simulating being a slaveowner.

Really, though, Puerto Rico's theme is so shallow that I don't think anyone should care what the little brown bits are supposed to be.

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    We played Pandemic for the first time last night and immediately decided it was racist. Only the white people in Atlanta can save the world from deadly disease! :P

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, speaking of Arkham Horror, I just can't get into that game. We played it last week at a game night and a lot of the people seemed to really like it (we've got some big cthulhu fans, myself included) but the game itself felt really boring to me. There just didn't seem to be much to do and you sort of vaguely bumble around until you win.

A friend of mine picked up a bunch of new boardgames the other day and we played through them. He got Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers which blows the original clean out of the water as far as I'm concerned. It has better mechanics and the gameplay feels tighter, there's no reason to really touch the original anymore in my opinion.

He also picked up Forbidden Island which was surprised me, I was expecting it to just be a worse pandemic but it's actually decently fun. We started on the second hardest difficulty and got smoked our first game but we managed to eke out the win a second time. The roles do not seemed balanced at all however, and instead of randomizing them I'd say that people should pick which ones they want based on how hard they want the game to be.

He also grabbed 7 wonders, which was pretty fun. We only got one game in but I'm definitely looking forward to playing it more. None of us were really prepared for the cards that hit in the third age but now that we know what to expect I'm looking forward into seeing what strategies evolve.

He also got the german edition of Ticket to Ride, which seems better than the other version that I've played but was still not really my cup of tea.

B7ozVfx.png
  • EndaroEndaro Weyland Consortium Building a Better WorldRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I want to point out that I'm not saying that video games are sexist and board games are racist, or even certain examples such as Puerto Rico are racist, just that they are seen that way. Video games seem to receive more complaints of sexism, and board games more of racism. Why is that? Is there actually a problem of race in board games to warrant the attention it gets?

In the end it's all a bit silly, as it's just board games. Even when I've explained the theme of Puerto Rico before a game for newcomers, and receive a few raised eye brows, I've never had anyone refuse to play or even remember the complaint once the game gets underway.

freelancer_zps76131532.png
    edited December 2010
    Lykouragh wrote: »

I mean, I mostly agree with you here, but there's a difference between describing a historical fact and simulating being a slaveowner.

Really, though, Puerto Rico's theme is so shallow that I don't think anyone should care what the little brown bits are supposed to be.

This is another good point: boardgames are much more abstract than, for instance, increasingly photo realistic video games. Not that I believe in the harmful effects of video games either.

About simulation:what about playing Germany in Axis & Allies? As I see it, it should be possible to separate the ethical questions from the strategic/tactical ones. Unless we're talking about something like "Auschwitz: the worker placement game". Then again, what about something like this: artwork/boardgame hybrid.

• Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think board games (especially the euro type) are just too far removed from anything remotely resembling some kind of narrative to qualify for labels such as racism or sexism. I don't think this is true of video games, which might be why those complaints carry (somewhat) more weight there.

But really, most board games are perfectly fine with just being semi-complex problem generators that the players have to work through. Should board games eventually reach the point of being about "the experience" or "the story" things might change.

...in accordance to the ancient prophecies.

jswidget.php?username=joe%20dizzy&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=random&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&addstyles=1&domains[]=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, the core of board games is game play, not story or theme. And it's pretty hard to make math racist. Probably.

That said, I'm not sure I even recognize the picture of more racism controversies in board games than video games. It's just a much more niche market, and so it's less visible, and there are fewer people to get in silly flame wars about perceived racism.

The niche factor also explains why board game companies in general do more for their customers than the video game industry. Also, there are fewer people between the game designer and the gamer in board gaming.

edited December 2010
    ~Twilight Struggle Top Tip~

don't do this
    * Soviet player updated turn to Turn 4, Round 6: American
    *** American plays Olympic Games Event ***
    Soviet player must decide whether to participate or boycott.
    <Tekopo> - oh crap
    <Tekopo> - shit
    * Soviets boycott Olympic Games.
    * Soviet changes DefCon to 1.
    *** !!! Global Thermal Nuclear War - U.S.S.R. player wins. !!!

edited December 2010
    ~Twilight Struggle Top Tip~

don't do this
    * Soviet player updated turn to Turn 4, Round 6: American
    *** American plays Olympic Games Event ***
    Soviet player must decide whether to participate or boycott.
    <Tekopo> - oh crap
    <Tekopo> - shit
    * Soviets boycott Olympic Games.
    * Soviet changes DefCon to 1.
    *** !!! Global Thermal Nuclear War - U.S.S.R. player wins. !!!

Heh. If it wasn't for the example in the rulebook, I would have thought this would mean the Soviets losing, as they caused DEFCON to drop. One of the weirder features of the rules.

edited December 2010
    yeah. also a good reason not to play CIA Created as soviets at defcon 2, because the US will coup a battleground in africa and you will lose.

This discussion has been closed.