As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout] Radioactive Drama Island, With our new contestant, Psychotic Super Mutants!

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yup. The Laser RCW is pretty good, though. Especially with a scope.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Plasma Caster it is, then. Thanks. I've stuck with a fully upgraded Laser Rifle for most of the game, but I want to be prepared for higher end enemies now that I'm in Act II.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
    edited April 2011
    Plasma Caster it is, then. Thanks. I've stuck with a fully upgraded Laser Rifle for most of the game, but I want to be prepared for higher end enemies now that I'm in Act II.

Another tip is that you can probably steal a Plasma Caster from the Silver Rush, provided you do the whole "Drag + Sneak away out of sight" trick.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Really, D.C. shouldn't have any standing buildings left at all, if it got hit by multiple nukes.

South host on
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
    edited April 2011
    To be fair, this is Fallout. Nuclear science probably went in a complete 90 degree angle of our own. One of the big reasons for a lack of infrastructure in D.C. is the enormous radioactivity of the area and the water supply.

CaptainNemo on
  • Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So why aren't we talking about Honest Hearts for New Vegas and Joshua Graham making an appearance?

Waffles or whatever on
    edited April 2011
    Waffen wrote: »
    So why aren't we talking about Honest Hearts for New Vegas and Joshua Graham making an appearance?

Because no new info has been released on it?

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    edited April 2011
    I am so fucking pissed off right now. I have Gannon in the Lucky 38 Suite, and I can't get him in my party. The dialogue option just isn't there.

So I can't do For Auld Lang Syne.

So I can't get the one suit of armor I want.

So I can't get him a satisfying ending.

CaptainNemo on
    edited April 2011
    I love the Fallout world to pieces. I love the music, the style, the weapons, and the orginaztions. But I can't play New Vegas for more then a rutting hour without a glitch or a freeze and it fucking sucks. I'm seriously tempted to just rush to the ending right now.

CaptainNemo on
    edited April 2011
    What system do you own it for, Nemo?

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    edited April 2011
    360. I know, I know, but any game that makes me need to use console commands to play is badly made.

CaptainNemo on
    edited April 2011
    I own it for the 360 too. My advice would be to install it on your hard-drive. That should most problems with the freezing.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    edited April 2011
    I already have it installed.

CaptainNemo on
  • Continental_OpContinental_Op Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Do you have ED-E in as your other companion? He won't join you if you have ED-E, I ran in to the same problem. Just send ED-E home, ask Gannon to join, then ask ED-E to join and you should be able to adventure as you wish.

If you don't have ED-E in your party then I've got nothing.

Continental_Op on
    XBL - TeenageHead
    edited April 2011
    Oh.

Of course.

Duh.

God I can be so thick sometimes thank you.

CaptainNemo on
  • Continental_OpContinental_Op Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    No worries. It took me a while to figure out the first time.

Continental_Op on
    XBL - TeenageHead
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, he has a thing against ED-E for some reason. Ironic considering...
    ED-E is an Enclave Eyebot and Arcade was raised by an Enclave father and his father's friends.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's a glitch. Sometimes happens, sometimes doesn't.

WhiteZinfandel on
    edited April 2011
    No, I mean, I know it's a glitch, but he mentions something about being uneasy around ED-E when you first recruit him if ED-E is with you.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Stolls wrote: »
    It's important to remember that FO3 isn't really any more abstracted or "shallow" than FO1 or FO2 were; the more visible nature of the 3d environment just makes that more obvious. In FO1/2, you could kind of see sections of the towns but that you couldn't visit- so you unconsciously assume there are more people than are actually represented in the game world, as would make sense. The world map, barren as it was, left plenty of space for other places. But, of course, you can walk around the entirety of the map in FO3.

If you look at the original games the same way you look at Fallout 3, they make just as little sense- towns with too small a population, not enough farmland, etc. You have to accept the world is an abstraction; it's just more obvious in FO3.

New Vegas, in my opinion, more skillfully concealed the problem, but it's still there if you think too hard about it.

This is an old problem in gaming. A mid-size town nowadays can have tens of thousands of people in it, which is more than any one game can ever conceivably process. A nuclear war would certainly have the excuse for smaller populations, but viable communities could still number in the hundreds; more than most players have time to reasonably interact with. On top of that, when each of those people is fully rendered and has a voice, instead of being a 2D sprite with a couple lines of text, the required resources increase exponentially.

Warren Spector once stated he'd like to do a game based in one city block, with a semi-realistic accounting of everything that can happen to every inhabitant in that block. Obviously you can jam dozens if not hundreds of people in that, and covering everything they can do isn't really practical. This is one of the main reasons Deus Ex took place at night, spending a lot of time in abandoned areas and cities under curfew.

Back to Fallout, FO1 and 2 are old enough that it's easier to use your imagination to fill in the gaps. As Phobos points out, that's harder to do with 3 given its engine, so it does stick out more. Granted, a modern game can still skew towards towns that feel cramped or underpopulated - to bring up DX again, Invisible War is a good counterpoint here - but a good team can work around this. New Vegas does a better job of hiding it, I agree, but it's there if you look: with just one terminal at McCarren (it would've had several even back in the 50s) there's still a lot of open space, and it has one of the larger NPC counts in the game.

For what it's worth I do agree that 1 and 2 put more thought into their worlds and the infrastructure to maintain them, but there's a world of difference between doing so in 2D and 3D, and given that difference it's pretty far down on the list of things that bug me about 3. I'm glad NV spent more time developing it, of course.

I like that clearing out the supermarket near Megaton basically kills off as many humans as killing everyone in city. Naturally the slavers and raiders are not counted like Nova or Slimm due to the fact they only perform an antagonistic role, but you will end up killing 100s (if not 1000s) of people by the time the game is actually over. Count ghouls in there too and you're certainly working up the numbers.

I think the only game to come close to keeping track of evey sentient being (who are also all killable) would be Morrowind, but I think that also has occasional bandits to interrupt the cliff racer genocide. And MW still has incredibly tiny settlements compared to anything that could conceivably be called a city in the real world in the history of human civilization.

Maybe the Imperial City could pass for a village of 100 with a very extravagant budget.

President Rex on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I came up with the idea of a system of tiers, base tier are like cardboard cutouts, they walkaround, they don't talk, little to no inventory, just fluff. 1 dimensional, run or walk. Lines.

Next Tier, 2 dimensional they run or walk, but they also have a second type of behavior that can be determined...combat esque...merchant? I dunno...maybe this doesn't fit in a bethesda game but still. This level would be flat cutouts, like paper dolls.

Final Tier, 3 dimensional, run, walk, leap. Advanced AI, behavior, inventories. These are characters you interact with. They have cylces and can be tracked to their homes and watched as they live their lives.

Oh, and Dots, no AI or Behavior, they just take up room in the background and walk away when you get close.

So you fill a town with lines with lines and some Dots, Paper Dolls patrol and go about and a few talk to you, but do big except sell you crap.

The 3d characters are the only ones with behavior and actions and real complicated AI, if you massacre the town, the dots and lines make up running and diving background actions. Paper Dolls are the only ones you can kill and will try to swarm you and can be looted for light crap.

Action figures will mount the building and try to drop you with a well timed hit from a sniper rifle or will rile up more paper dolls to kill you. They have loot and swag and can be companions.

Probably talked out my ass there but I am being seduced the thought of downloading FWE or NMA's Compedium.

RoyceSraphim on
  • never-ending-reignnever-ending-reign Polish Catholic entering a world of painRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, he has a thing against ED-E for some reason. Ironic considering...
    ED-E is an Enclave Eyebot and Arcade was raised by an Enclave father and his father's friends.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it something like....
    Arcade didn't agree with Enclave practices and beliefs, which led him to the Followers? I thought I remembered that from the story somewhere...if so, that would explain why he doesn't like Ed-E.

never-ending-reign on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Played a lot of fall out 3 over the weekend (I had previously played it on the PC but wanted my wife to watch so got it on the 360) love that broken steel gives you 10 more levels. FUCKING HATE!!! The new ghouls and supermutants that came with it though, god damn do I hate those assholes, the tri laser in my hands only good up close, in the hands of the supermutant overlord fuck you? Sniper rifle from hell.

I have new vegas on deck, have they patched the expansion to make it playable or should I stay far far away?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    I have new vegas on deck, have they patched the expansion to make it playable or should I stay far far away?

Are you talking about Dead Money? It was playable when they released it.

Dracomicron on
    edited April 2011

Yeah Dead Money, one of the reviews I read said it had some bugs related to companions? Also does it add shit like broken steel did with extra bullshit tier of creatures?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited April 2011

Yeah Dead Money, one of the reviews I read said it had some bugs related to companions? Also does it add shit like broken steel did with extra bullshit tier of creatures?

There might be some companion bugs (some in party flags may be troublesome, I've heard), but I never run into them in two playthroughs, so they're not exactly omnipresent.

The creatures are difficult, but they're not bullet sponges the same way that the Broken Steel critters are. You're forced to think and use your skills more, generally, because the bad guys die in different ways than simple "BOOM headshot."

Dracomicron on
    edited April 2011

There might be some companion bugs (some in party flags may be troublesome, I've heard), but I never run into them in two playthroughs, so they're not exactly omnipresent.

The creatures are difficult, but they're not bullet sponges the same way that the Broken Steel critters are. You're forced to think and use your skills more, generally, because the bad guys die in different ways than simple "BOOM headshot."

That's fine, I don't mind having to actually use skills. I just hate how many shots a ghoul reaver, albino rad scorpion, or super mutant whatever would take. Made me glad I used the extra points to level up unarmed to be able to do paralyzing palm strikes and stun the fuckers before pounding the shit out of them.

How are small guns in new vegas? Are energy weapons the kings of damage once again?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited April 2011
    How are small guns in new vegas? Are energy weapons the kings of damage once again?

Guns are no longer segregated into Small Guns and Big Guns. The weapon skills are: Guns, Energy Weapons, Explosives (handles grenades, mines, and rocket/grenade launchers), Unarmed, Melee.

Energy Weapons actually kinda sucked until a recent patch gave them more armor penetration, simply because you could make some pretty beastly ammo for Guns with the Hand Loader perk.

The Shotgun Surgeon build is one of the best in the game, and the Cowboy build is fun; it gives you a variety of guns & melee weapons to kick ass with.

And of course the .50 cal. Anti-Materiel Rifle is hilariously overpowered, especially with incindiary ammo.

Dracomicron on
    edited April 2011

Guns are no longer segregated into Small Guns and Big Guns. The weapon skills are: Guns, Energy Weapons, Explosives (handles grenades, mines, and rocket/grenade launchers), Unarmed, Melee.

Energy Weapons actually kinda sucked until a recent patch gave them more armor penetration, simply because you could make some pretty beastly ammo for Guns with the Hand Loader perk.

The Shotgun Surgeon build is one of the best in the game, and the Cowboy build is fun; it gives you a variety of guns & melee weapons to kick ass with.

And of course the .50 cal. Anti-Materiel Rifle is hilariously overpowered, especially with incindiary ammo.

Awesome, glad there are more options. Was thinking of maybe going full meele for a change of pace from F3, I just hated how towards the end of the game in F3 you're really pigeon holed into taking energy weapons or being useless.

Also glad that big guns are gone since I'd love to use a chaingun, but never wanted to waste the points for something that had really really limted ammo/availibility.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited April 2011
    Awesome, glad there are more options. Was thinking of maybe going full meele for a change of pace from F3, I just hated how towards the end of the game in F3 you're really pigeon holed into taking energy weapons or being useless.

Also glad that big guns are gone since I'd love to use a chaingun, but never wanted to waste the points for something that had really really limted ammo/availibility.

Full melee is perfectly viable (and, in fact, somewhat overpowered along with unarmed, to compensate for not being able to kill from a distance), though you may want to throw some points into explosives for, you know, special occasions.

Dracomicron on
    edited April 2011

Full melee is perfectly viable (and, in fact, somewhat overpowered along with unarmed, to compensate for not being able to kill from a distance), though you may want to throw some points into explosives for, you know, special occasions.

Hmmm, now thats a tough call, do I want guns to be a kungfu cowboy, or explosives to be explosive ninja. Decisions decisions! Are there more grenades to play with this time around?

And you mentioned ammo types? They brought back different ammo? JOY!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Played a lot of fall out 3 over the weekend (I had previously played it on the PC but wanted my wife to watch so got it on the 360) love that broken steel gives you 10 more levels. FUCKING HATE!!! The new ghouls and supermutants that came with it though, god damn do I hate those assholes, the tri laser in my hands only good up close, in the hands of the supermutant overlord fuck you? Sniper rifle from hell.

Easiest way to kill Overlords is just to shoot the weapon out of their hand then kill them.

They're still bullet sponges so it takes a bit...but at least that don't do stupid damage while you're hacking away like they usually do.

Dragkonias on
    edited April 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Easiest way to kill Overlords is just to shoot the weapon out of their hand then kill them.

They're still bullet sponges so it takes a bit...but at least that don't do stupid damage while you're hacking away like they usually do.

So I found later on, still was obnoxious. And for assholes like the ghoul raveners outside of a palm strike you were fucked, up close they hit like mack trucks, from a distance their "grenades" were like heat seaking radiation bombs.

And the god damn albino rad scorps were also assholes. One thing I missed that F3 didn't have (and I'm going to guess is that new vegas also doesn't have) was critting body parts applied debuffs to enemies. Like in fall out 2 if you critted an enemies eyes, they couldn't hit you at all. While doing that in f3 didn't seem to do shit, only crit that seemed to do anything was a leg shot, which on ranged enemies was kinda useless.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited April 2011

Hmmm, now thats a tough call, do I want guns to be a kungfu cowboy, or explosives to be explosive ninja. Decisions decisions! Are there more grenades to play with this time around?

Yep, a good number of grenades. In Dead Money you even get to make special, high-damage throwable proximity bombs.
    And you mentioned ammo types? They brought back different ammo? JOY!

Yeah, many guns have mods, and nearly all weapons that use ammo have various ammo types: armor piercing, hollow point, etc. Energy weapons have Overcharge and Max Charge ammo (which respectively have higher damage and armor penetration.

The way armor works in this game (Damage Threshold rather than Resistance) means that AP ammo is seriously worthwhile vs. heavily armored opponents.

Dracomicron on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah...my second playthrough really showed many how useful ammo mods were.

Hollow points worked wonders against Cazadors.

Dragkonias on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

You gotta grab an auto axe for those buggers.

DanHibiki on
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    For some reason, I got the bug to play New Vegas again over the weekend. I'd never actually completed the game so I figured it'd be worthwhile to try and play through it with some mods... been awhile since I last played so I figured on starting fresh with a few mods. Also took the plunge and bought Dead Money.

After modding up and getting underway, the game crashed for the first time as I exited the Saloon in Goodsprings. :( But wait! When I tried to fire the game up again, Steam began downloading something. A patch! I hadn't known there was a patch.

Since patching, I've not had a single crash after playing quite a bit this weekend, and it's been glorious. Haven't gotten super far on the story (dicking around McCarren currently), and was just headed towards the vault with all the plants when Boone and I encountered a swarm of Cazadors.

We killed all of them, but as I'm walking away I hear Boone say, "I knew you'd be the death of me." and then he died of poison. Goddamn hardcore mode.

R.I.P. Boone you were a good friend. :(

Toxic Pickle on
    edited April 2011

There's a ton of high level guns in NV. My favorites are the A-M Rifle, The Brush Gun, Ranger Sequoia, and the 12.7mm SMG.

EDIT: Also, it's extremely hard to kill the Deathclaws in the Quarry Junction for Gun users unless you have the A-M Rifle with Incendiary Rounds. Mind you, it's hard to kill Deathclaws, PERIOD.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Sequoia is amazing against everything, one shot will kill power armoured dudes in the head.

That and the All-American were my go to end game guns.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    edited April 2011
    The Sequoia is amazing against everything, one shot will kill power armoured dudes in the head.

That and the All-American were my go to end game guns.

I basically used the All-American until it was time to get serious and use the AMR. I never did pick up the Sequoia.

Dracomicron on
This discussion has been closed.