As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout] Radioactive Drama Island, With our new contestant, Psychotic Super Mutants!

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    See, the All-American would be nice, but that requires me to go into Vault 34. Fuck that noise.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Vault 34 is the one with the massive radiation isn't it?

It's not that bad if you have a good rad suit (like the space suit from 'Come Fly With Me'). Still need some Rad-X and Rad-Away but the space suit does make it far less hectic. :P

Toxic Pickle on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Also the armoury is just a gigantic treasure trove of goodies.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man reading up on perks in this has definately made my mind up to be a gun guy since the cowboy perk and the weapons it uses look and sound hella awesome.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • KaennethKaenneth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, I modded Brian Wilkes (the kid) to better defend himself against the fireants... gave him a party hat, McCreedy's outfit, and a Fatman.

Started a new game, went to the SUper-duper mart, and he nuked me.

Ungrateful punk.

(Maybe I shouldn't have bumped up changed his aggresivness stat...)

Kaenneth on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    In what world are nuclear armaments good for home defense?

WhiteZinfandel on
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    In what world are nuclear armaments good for home defense?

...Fallout's?

President Rex on
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Let he who has not launched a nuke into a crowded room with lots of clutter just to see the resulting mess cast the first stone.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
    edited April 2011
    Stolls wrote: »
    Let he who has not launched a nuke into a crowded room with lots of clutter just to see the resulting mess cast the first stone.

*Throws a fucking stone*

Mini-nukes are wasted if they aren't massively murdering people.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    Man reading up on perks in this has definately made my mind up to be a gun guy since the cowboy perk and the weapons it uses look and sound hella awesome.

Make sure to get Hand Loader, too. Also, since you're working up Repair for that anyway, you might as well go whole hog and get 90% for Jury Rigging, too.

Dracomicron on
    edited April 2011

Make sure to get Hand Loader, too. Also, since you're working up Repair for that anyway, you might as well go whole hog and get 90% for Jury Rigging, too.

High Repair is always a good idea. It gets you a ton of good shit, and helps you with several in-game Repair checks (that prevent you from having to do a butt-load of work-arounds). A high Lockpick skill helps too, but it's not required for anything save for like, 1 Ending variant and a few unique weapons.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

High Repair is always a good idea. It gets you a ton of good shit, and helps you with several in-game Repair checks (that prevent you from having to do a butt-load of work-arounds). A high Lockpick skill helps too, but it's not required for anything save for like, 1 Ending variant and a few unique weapons.

Oh yeah Repair is like Science in that if you are skilled enough most of the stupid fetch quest sections can be avoided by being a smarty pants.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited April 2011
    "Oh hey, you gotta get several components for this Rebreather!"
    Repair: "Why waste time getting those when I got this Pressure Cooker!"
    "Well, I guess that would work too..."

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    edited April 2011
    I'd say jury rigging is pretty important if you plan on using high end guns.

Being able to fix up your super rare brush gun with varmint rifles saves you a lot of caps and hassle.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hey, a patch.
    Fallout: New Vegas 1.3

This update contains optimizations and stability improvements, as well as the following balance changes:

Guns Changes:

• Automatic Guns - SMGs, the Assault Carbine, and the LMG are more accurate across the board. They're also more durable. 12.7mm SMG mag capacity increased to 21.

• Shotguns - Buckshot has received a x1.2 inherent DAM mod. This slightly incentivizes using buckshot over slugs when enemy armor is not an issue. Magnum buckshot has a x1.3 DAM mod and a small amount of DT bypass. Spread for many shotguns has been lowered.

• Hunting Rifle, Anti-Materiel Rifle - Hunting Rifle and AMR now have the lowest spread of all rifles. Hunting Rifle RoF increased, Crit Chance set to x2. Anti-Materiel Rifle's Crit DAM has been raised from 80 to 110 to make it more viable when compared to the Gobi.

• Sniper Rifle, Gobi Campaign Scout Rifle - Sniper Rifle and Gobi now have a higher RoF and lower AP cost. Both have x2 Crit Chance. Gobi has increased DAM and much higher Crit DAM over the Sniper Rifle.

• That Gun - That Gun is now a slow-firing hand cannon that does huge DAM firing 5.56mm out of a short barrel.

• Hunting Revolver - RoF increased.

• Service Rifle - DAM slightly lowered, firing animation changed to the one used by Marksman Carbine, RoF dramatically increased. Spread decreased.

• Silenced .22 Pistol, SMG - Crit DAM and Crit Chance significantly increased.

• 5mm Ammo - Base ammo has 10 points of DT bypass. AP variants have 25 points of DT bypass. This affects the Assault Carbine, Minigun, and CZ57 Avenger.

• .308 JSP - DAM mult reduced from x1.5 to x1.3. x2 CND degradation effect added.

• Lever-Action Rifles - Cowboy Repeater, Trail Carbine, Brush Gun - RoF has been slightly reduced, AP costs have been significantly increased, and spread has been slightly increased. Cowboy Repeater Custom Action RoF increase has been reduced. La Longue Carabine spread has been significantly lowered.

Explosives Changes:

• Dynamite - Larger explosion radius.

• Frag and Plasma Grenades – DAM increased.

• 25mm Grenades - Slightly increased DAM on the explosion.

• 40mm Grenades - Significantly higher DAM on the explosion.

• Missile Launcher / Fat Man - Now have much better zoom FoV and good accuracy. Missile and Fat Man projectiles (not the explosion) have a large base DAM. Both are extremely effective on direct hits, but still potent even if a direct hit is not scored. N.B.: Listed DAM on weapons assumes a direct hit!

Energy Weapons Changes:

• Gatling Laser - Base DAM is higher. Against heavily armored targets, this is still a poor weapon. Against lightly armored targets, especially with Over Charge or Max Charge ECPs + Focus Optics + Laser Commander, it has extraordinary DPS.

• Tesla Cannon, Tesla-Beaton Prototype - These now consume far less ammo per shot and can be fired several times before a reload. DAM is beefy with an additional 2 second DoT.

• Pew-Pew - Lower ammo capacity, consumes far fewer ECs per shot. Still a two-shot weapon.

Melee Weapon and Unarmed Changes:

• Ripper, Chainsaw, Thermic Lance - DAM lowered, all ignore DR/DT.

• Bladed Gauntlet, Mantis Gauntlet - Ignore DR/DT flags removed (were not supposed to be marked as such). Mantis Gauntlet animation/sound fixed.

Perk Changes:

• Splash Damage – Functions properly.

• The Professional - 10mm Pistol, SMG added to perk list.

Rizzi on
    edited April 2011

Oh yeah Repair is like Science in that if you are skilled enough most of the stupid fetch quest sections can be avoided by being a smarty pants.

High Science, Repair, Speech, and Medicine all make the game much. much easier. Barter even works as a Speech substitute in some cases. I'm glad it's not just Speech that lets you resolve situations better now.

Dracomicron on
    edited April 2011
    Booted up New Vegas last night, damn this is my kind of game. Though I swear I'm dying a lot more than I did in F3 (probably because I keep going places before I'm supposed to, like fresh out of the starting area I went to take down the powder gangs little hide out).

Loving the pistols so far, just wish I had more ammo.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Got Jury Rigging last night - yay!

Accidentally used my multi-modded Weathered 10mm to repair an SMG - boo!

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
    edited April 2011
    Booted up New Vegas last night, damn this is my kind of game. Though I swear I'm dying a lot more than I did in F3 (probably because I keep going places before I'm supposed to, like fresh out of the starting area I went to take down the powder gangs little hide out).

Don't try taking down the Powder Gangers yet. Instead, kill one of their guys around the wastes, take their uniform, and wear it as a disguise. Infiltrate the base, and talk to Eddie and do some work for him. Progress through that quest for him, and eventually you can betray him for the NCR, and get 1000 XP alongside the loot he drops, plus the locked room that only his key has access to.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    edited April 2011

Don't try taking down the Powder Gangers yet. Instead, kill one of their guys around the wastes, take their uniform, and wear it as a disguise. Infiltrate the base, and talk to Eddie and do some work for him. Progress through that quest for him, and eventually you can betray him for the NCR, and get 1000 XP alongside the loot he drops, plus the locked room that only his key has access to.

A little late for that now. I done murdered everyone in that place. I'm not going for perfect, I'm going for everyone who takes a god damn shot at me dies.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited April 2011

Yeah, the game does tend to herd you in the beginning by making everything but the road south covered by nigh impossible monsters. I actually tried to go east from Goodsprings and did pretty well until I ran into the Giant Radscorpions.

Dracomicron on
  • never-ending-reignnever-ending-reign Polish Catholic entering a world of painRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Got Jury Rigging last night - yay!

Accidentally used my multi-modded Weathered 10mm to repair an SMG - boo!

Yep, been there. It's like the one bad thing about the jury-rigging perk.

never-ending-reign on
    edited April 2011

Yeah, the game does tend to herd you in the beginning by making everything but the road south covered by nigh impossible monsters. I actually tried to go east from Goodsprings and did pretty well until I ran into the Giant Radscorpions.

Yeah I was going the NCR outpost in mojave and uhh got lost? Ended up in nipton (one dude won a lottery, but because he was a powder ganger the only reward he got was a bullet to the face) and so I decided to cut across the desert to the outpost, and ran across motherfucking golden geckos.

I swear New Vegas feels more like F3 to me than fall out 3 did based on seeing old enemies come back and that you can get raped fairly fast.

I just need to find some god damn small pistol primer? Or something I want to make more .357 slugs for shooters!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited April 2011
    Yeah I was going the NCR outpost in mojave and uhh got lost? Ended up in nipton (one dude won a lottery, but because he was a powder ganger the only reward he got was a bullet to the face) and so I decided to cut across the desert to the outpost, and ran across motherfucking golden geckos.

I swear New Vegas feels more like F3 to me than fall out 3 did based on seeing old enemies come back and that you can get raped fairly fast.

I just need to find some god damn small pistol primer? Or something I want to make more .357 slugs for shooters!

You can sometimes find jars or boxes of primers or other bullet parts in stores, and of course you can always dismantle the bullets of guns you're not using to cannibalize their bits.

Doesn't sound like you triggered the story event in Nipton yet. Don't worry, the Mojave Outpost will be sending you back. Should be good for a chuckle.

Dracomicron on
    edited April 2011

You can sometimes find jars or boxes of primers or other bullet parts in stores, and of course you can always dismantle the bullets of guns you're not using to cannibalize their bits.

Doesn't sound like you triggered the story event in Nipton yet. Don't worry, the Mojave Outpost will be sending you back. Should be good for a chuckle.

I got one quest from nipton about freeing some people taken by slavers. But I figure I'll be going back and dealing with the legion one way or another. I just worried I screwed up the story when I killed the powder gangers before even stopping off in Primm, but everything seems fine so far. To get the pardon for the former sherrif I have to go to the mojave outpost right? Hayes didn't seem to have any dialogue option for it.

Can't wait to get jury rigging so I can fix one of my cowboy hats with all the other fucking cowboy hats I have!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I just made a habit of buying all the junk ammo I found on vendors and breaking it down.

Eventually you'll have enough that you can basically just make whatever you want to make at will.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited April 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I just made a habit of buying all the junk ammo I found on vendors and breaking it down.

Eventually you'll have enough that you can basically just make whatever you want to make at will.

Well I can't wait for that. I need to stop shooting too much, I love the 9mm pistol for its fire rate, but I'm spitting ammo like no ones business, and the cowboy repeater and .357 pistol use the same type of ammo so I've been using the varmit shooter more right now even though I'm still really iffy with its iron sights (though I'm terrible with the cowboy repeaters sights too, and it has better sights).

Just got my lock picking up high enough with magazine to open the safe with lucky in it, so I'm damn sure going to pick that up.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited April 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Well I can't wait for that. I need to stop shooting too much, I love the 9mm pistol for its fire rate, but I'm spitting ammo like no ones business, and the cowboy repeater and .357 pistol use the same type of ammo so I've been using the varmit shooter more right now even though I'm still really iffy with its iron sights (though I'm terrible with the cowboy repeaters sights too, and it has better sights).

Just got my lock picking up high enough with magazine to open the safe with lucky in it, so I'm damn sure going to pick that up.
    Get that Varmint rifle scoped. Or go grab Ratslayer. That guy stays relevant well into the midgame, I was surprised at its resilience.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited April 2011
    Got rid of my varmint rifle after I found a hunting rifle and bought a scope for it.

The rifle seemed kinda rare throughout the game but there was loads of ammo for it.

mere_immortal on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hey is that patch only PC for now or have console versions also been updated?

I'm curious about what kind of performance/stability fixes were in it (particularly for the 360 version). the patch notes didn't go into detail in that regard.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    High Science, Repair, Speech, and Medicine all make the game much. much easier. Barter even works as a Speech substitute in some cases. I'm glad it's not just Speech that lets you resolve situations better now.

Speech is still almost too good in NV, though. I was initially trying to make a Clint Eastwood, Man With No Name, brooding silent type character when I started playing and I ended up pumping Speech because it's just so damn useful.

Gaslight on
    edited April 2011

A little late for that now. I done murdered everyone in that place. I'm not going for perfect, I'm going for everyone who takes a god damn shot at me dies.

Which is why my suggestion makes things better. 1000 XP side-quests are extremely rare, and this one in particular is the easiest one in the game.

EDIT: And since you were planning to be vilified with those idiots anyway, it makes their deaths all the sweeter.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    edited April 2011
    I do have to say what was annoying about killing off all those powder gang bastards, was looting any of their left over stuff was "theft" screw you! They are dead and that shit is mine!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, the karma system in NV is messed up and basically meaningless.

Besides, by the end you'll kill enough fiends that you'll be wasteland jesus regardless of how many times you steal from dead people.

OptimusZed on

edited April 2011
    I do have to say what was annoying about killing off all those powder gang bastards, was looting any of their left over stuff was "theft" screw you! They are dead and that shit is mine!

Yeah, it humors me that stealing from bad people is considered "evil".

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    edited April 2011

Its not just stealing, they are dead, that shit is no ones! Oh well it didn't slow me down from "stealing" and I came out of things still neutral, but I still think its silly. Motherfuckers were dead, and that shit probably wasn't even theirs to begin with.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited April 2011

Its not just stealing, they are dead, that shit is no ones! Oh well it didn't slow me down from "stealing" and I came out of things still neutral, but I still think its silly. Motherfuckers were dead, and that shit probably wasn't even theirs to begin with.

Considering they should be prisoners, no, they don't own any of that legally.

But seriously: makes no difference. The only thing that can swing you to evil in this game, as far as I can tell, is siding with the Powder Gangers in Goodsprings... but that's about as far into moustache-twirling Chaotic Stupid Evil as you can possibly get. "Yes, I will murderize this peaceful town whose doctor nursed me back from a traumatic head wound this morning. That's the ticket."

Dracomicron on
    edited April 2011

But seriously: makes no difference. The only thing that can swing you to evil in this game, as far as I can tell, is siding with the Powder Gangers in Goodsprings... but that's about as far into moustache-twirling Chaotic Stupid Evil as you can possibly get. "Yes, I will murderize this peaceful town whose doctor nursed me back from a traumatic head wound this morning. That's the ticket."

It's why I can never be a bad guy in games, so much bad is already in these worlds, why add to it?

Though I do admit I unleashed the ghouls on tenpenny tower, its one my really evil thing.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah...I stole owned crap all the time and I was still Jesus level goody-good.

Dragkonias on
    edited April 2011

It's why I can never be a bad guy in games, so much bad is already in these worlds, why add to it?

Though I do admit I unleashed the ghouls on tenpenny tower, its one my really evil thing.

Bah, the Tenpenny thing isn't even evil when you do it. You're convincing people to share resources in a hostile world. That it always turns out horrific is just a testement to how poorly written it is.

Wait, you mean the feral ghouls in the basement. No, I was wrong, you're a horrible person. :lol:

I have a hard time being a bad guy in a lot of cases because the "evil" option in most games is completely moronic. "Will you save this urchin from cuthroats or kill & eat his loyal dog raw while he bleeds to death?"

New Vegas, for the most part, avoids this by just having the faction system.

Dracomicron on
This discussion has been closed.