As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dwarf Fortress 0.31.25: probably got flying cars powered by plump helmets and beards

• Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This game really draws me in.

I am a fool for symmetry in this and if I can't get it right, I'll usually abandon.
    This is the only game that really affects me this way.

I've been playing this game almost all week with my gaming time. At this point, I'm quite wary of getting into Minecraft.

I've never really made it passed year 4 (I have the fort defense mod, which cranks the fun to 11) but it doesn't seem to get that old.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    sketchydsketchyd Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    so, i've been playing again, even though the trading arc isnt done.

Finally installed Dwarf TheRapist, which definitely helps, and learned how to do the military in the current state.

I got a fortress up to 140 dwarves, and fought off a few sieges, but the frame rate is toast: 32.

So now I'm trying various configurations of smaller forts, but I've hit the point where I feel I understand the system, so its not able to hold me in thrall for days at a time.

What I would love is if legendary weapons gained special properties, like in LotR. Once Urist becomes attached and names his warhammer, give it a breath weapon or something.

sketchyd on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My engraver loves the FUCK out of a 200 year old human named Omud Smileconstructs who tamed some elephants. It's all he ever fuckin engraves.

I love this game for stuff like this.
    It's more likely just because there weren't any other happenings worth mentioning which is too bad. He has started engraving himself engraving in the year previous to this one. Weird stuff.

also my fortress is named StandardWoman.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Endomatic wrote: »
    My engraver loves the FUCK out of a 200 year old human named Omud Smileconstructs who tamed some elephants. It's all he ever fuckin engraves.

I love this game for stuff like this.
    It's more likely just because there weren't any other happenings worth mentioning which is too bad. He has started engraving himself engraving in the year previous to this one. Weird stuff.

also my fortress is named StandardWoman.

My dwarves are all about some ancient douche who got torn apart by a titan.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    question for those of you who fuck around with pressure plates:

I've never used pressure plates before but want to set one up to trigger a floodgate for monitoring my underground well. Since water is so fucked up I am trying to prevent it from flooding the well room by having the pressure plate close the floodgate when the water reaches 6/7. Will this work if I have the pressure plate behind the floodgate? or will it be backwards and open when it reaches 6/7? i think my idea makes sense but let me know if i should draw a picture or something

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Plates have always confused the heck out of me, but I think I've just been getting it wrong. The pressure plate will be set to whatever the floodgate is doing when it is set up. So if the gate is closed when you set the plate, it will open the gate once it's triggered. Therefore you need to make a lever first to open the gate, THEN set the pressure plate.

This is only my hypothesis however, I have not gotten around to testing it yet. Generally I just get lazy and make a lever that hopefully some dorf will pull before the whole fortress gets flooded.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Plates have always confused the heck out of me, but I think I've just been getting it wrong. The pressure plate will be set to whatever the floodgate is doing when it is set up. So if the gate is closed when you set the plate, it will open the gate once it's triggered. Therefore you need to make a lever first to open the gate, THEN set the pressure plate.

This is only my hypothesis however, I have not gotten around to testing it yet. Generally I just get lazy and make a lever that hopefully some dorf will pull before the whole fortress gets flooded.

i decided to just give it a try for *fun* and it seems to work properly so far... my only fear is once the water starts draining the plate might go a bit wonky on me.

I had initially set up the plate and gate to trigger for 6/6 water, I think connected a lever to the floodgate that would be accessible and later deconstructed(in case of gremlins coming to ruin my shit)

I opened the floodgate with the lever and let the water come into the room, and the plate did trigger it to close when it hit 6/7 water, so its working as planned for now, my only fear is that the plate won't set off again once it goes under a weight, i really should have put a second trap to trigger when it reaches a low

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm using that fancy MayDay thing.

When I go to embark somewhere, under the Neighbors tab, Goblins have red
    's next to them.

Does that just mean Dwarves are at War with them?

Joeslop on
  • Options
    BearrorristBearrorrist Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Goblin seige happened. Told my legendary swarddwarves and moderatley ok speardwaves to charge at them. most of the dwaves decide they need to get a beer first and a lone speardwarf charges them and goes martial trance. He kills about half of the goblins before finally getting killed himself. By the time the rest of the military arrives, the goblins are already in full retreat. Why cant they go to the bathroom before they get in the car?

Bearrorrist on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Joeslop wrote: »
    I'm using that fancy MayDay thing.

When I go to embark somewhere, under the Neighbors tab, Goblins have red
    's next to them.

Does that just mean Dwarves are at War with them?

Yup. In fact I think if you highlight a particular neighbor you can so who they are at war with too. (Or maybe that's under the [C]ivilizations menu when you get into the game.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So Toady's putting in beekeeping for the next release. We knew it would happen some day, but it was kind of a joke that even something as unlikely as dwarven beekeepers would make it into the game.

I, for one, welcome our giant armored war bees.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    harvest wrote: »
    So Toady's putting in beekeeping for the next release. We knew it would happen some day, but it was kind of a joke that even something as unlikely as dwarven beekeepers would make it into the game.

I, for one, welcome our giant armored war bees.

There is only one use for bees.

GIANT BEE CANNON

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also what the hell do you guys do with all the stone laying around after you start a fortress? It's everywheeeeerrrre.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hide it, build it into a castle, or atom smash it. Also train up siege engineers.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also what the hell do you guys do with all the stone laying around after you start a fortress? It's everywheeeeerrrre.

designate a 1tile dump next to the mason shop, designate all stone for garbage.

Watch as a trillion billion tons of stone vanish into a single tile

Reclaim the stone stack to remove the dump tag, remove the 1 tile garbage dump.

Marvel as your mason has a practically unfettered stone supply

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I manufacture billions of stone mugs for export, which helps too.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Buttcleft wrote: »

OK so I haven't played this game in years.

i to place zone, designate as garbage (it doesn't show anything on the screen after that right?), then how do I designate all stone for garbage? Do I choose designations, set building/item thingy, and hit d to dump items?

So many hotkeys.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Buttcleft wrote: »

OK so I haven't played this game in years.

i to place zone, designate as garbage (it doesn't show anything on the screen after that right?), then how do I designate all stone for garbage? Do I choose designations, set building/item thingy, and hit d to dump items?

So many hotkeys.

d, b, d then highlight junk stone, then all idle dwarves will no longer be idle for years to come.

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    If you're going to designate all stone, best do it from the stockpile menu. That way you can easily not designate ores and economic stone.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Idle dwarves, you're crazy. No such thing around here.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Assign a dwarf to constant stone crafts. before long you'll have a legendary crafter and as much money as you could ever need when the caravan arrives.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh god goblins everywhere.

I might have to start a new game on an island so I can figure out even just the non-military stuff first.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh god goblins everywhere.

I might have to start a new game on an island so I can figure out even just the non-military stuff first.

I still have no idea how to operate military in the newer versions, but traps are a godsend, i have a lever the i can just seal up my fortress, but another entrance is available, a very long winding entracne, packed to the teeth with traps.

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    That's what I always did, even before the latest version. Traps really are kind-of overpowered like that.

But be careful: some megabeasts can bypass traps.

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It would be insane and awesome if toady could implement a physics system in dwarffort.

Imagine, a water powered rotary balista minigun of death.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Are there more comics about this game? I can't stand the experience itself, but stories like Boatmurdered and the other comics in the op are pure awesome.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dusda wrote: »
    Are there more comics about this game? I can't stand the experience itself, but stories like Boatmurdered and the other comics in the op are pure awesome.

Have you seen Bronzemurder vs. Oggez Rashas or Oilfurnace?

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dusda wrote: »

Have you seen Bronzemurder vs. Oggez Rashas or Oilfurnace?
    Yes, and they are glorious.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    One trick I use for dealing with excessive stone is that my dwarves are CIVILIZED! I make all stone into blocks, and then use nothing but blocks for construction projects.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So when building magma forges, do I put the workshop like thus:

Open Space
    Magma 7/7

Or does it have to be something besides Open Space?

EDIT: Oh dear. Mining out a wall next to the "open space" started spewing lava everywhere. Clearly that is not the best approach.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fun!

Jintor on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    The best entrance I ever made was on a map that was heavily mountainous. There was a large river running at the top layers, and it went down a possibly 20z-level waterfall in the south because the southern part of the exterior was just that much lower.

So a long and winding road up to the mid height of the mountain, and an entrance behind the waterfall. And I had levers to empty the force of the waterfall onto the entrance.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That's fucking amazing.

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh lawd, I read Oilfurnace now. Thank you for linking it because it was fantastic.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    God dammit, there's a miner stuck on a lower level and the game won't let me make a staircase down to him or up from him. No ramps either, he's going to die of thirst.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Why not? Usually miners can get themselves unstuck so long as they have a pick on them and their mining labor is activated.

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Why not? Usually miners can get themselves unstuck so long as they have a pick on them and their mining labor is activated.

I don't know. I eventually managed to get another miner to the level above him but then HE was stuck. I kept seeing haulers truckin' on down, grabbing things and going back up.

I eventually just reverted to an older save, one where I didn't accidentally flood the room below with magma.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Toady's update roadmap includes inns for dwarf mode a number of releases down the line.

gonna build me up a hundred inns, murder my guests, and built a sacred ossuary as a shrine to my dark undergods

gonna play it like I play the Sims, is what I'm saying.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ossuaries are creepy fucking things!

Honk on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just made a quantum artifact.......cup.

102k value though.

Fellhand on